Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

A new mystery show with Josh Brolin, this has a lot of LOST vibes.

I was pretty meh in the first episode but just finished the second and I知 glad I stuck with it.

I went back and rewatched that last scene at the end and grabbed a few things. One thing that stood out was that the military guys are moving in a sped up, jerky like fashion at first until things for Royal come into focus and time presumably catches up. I couldn't tell 100%, but I'm pretty sure that his hair darkens after he comes out of the hole, which might mean that whatever happens when you go to the future makes you younger.

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
We're two episodes in and I'm liking it so far. Really digging the mix of influences. I feel like it's Yellowstone in the style of Katla or Dark with lots of Lynch and Hitchcock thrown in. The scene in E2 at the cliffs looks straight out of Picnic at Hanging Rock.

The old rancher nemesis seems like he's one Clamato away from turning into Dennis Hopper from Blue Velvet.

The only thing I'll knock is that the scenery seems to jump from lush green to dry winter and I'm guessing that's unintentional.

e: thanks for those screen shots. it was so dark on my TV it was hard to see what was going on. Also, didn't catch at first that the yellow shirt Autumn is probably in a cult there

BetterLekNextTime fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Apr 16, 2022

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'm halfway through the first episode. How long until they reveal Autumn is the little girl from the future? Please say by the end of episode two.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

BetterLekNextTime posted:

We're two episodes in and I'm liking it so far. Really digging the mix of influences. I feel like it's Yellowstone in the style of Katla or Dark with lots of Lynch and Hitchcock thrown in. The scene in E2 at the cliffs looks straight out of Picnic at Hanging Rock.

The old rancher nemesis seems like he's one Clamato away from turning into Dennis Hopper from Blue Velvet.

The only thing I'll knock is that the scenery seems to jump from lush green to dry winter and I'm guessing that's unintentional.

e: thanks for those screen shots. it was so dark on my TV it was hard to see what was going on. Also, didn't catch at first that the yellow shirt Autumn is probably in a cult there

Yeah I get a lot of Lynch influence from it as well.

Re: the darkness, the first episode was crazy dark and I thought that something was wrong with my TV.

I want to go back and look at the photo Royal had hidden. I think it痴 a given that he痴 from the past. I知 hoping that they don稚 go with Autumn being Amy, but she is definitely a cult leader from the future. The euphoric way she greets Royal in their first encounter and the way she glows after probing how much it would take for him to sell the ranch looked like someone having their mental image of a religious figure confirmed.

I think there will be a ton of fuckery on this show

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I did like how it doesn't feel like they're wasting time and we got to see what happened at the bottom of the hole fairly quickly. Also have to wonder if all the poo poo Royal has been throwing in there pops out in the future.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I hate it when a show takes a full episode before it really starts, would you recommend I skip the first one?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

By popular demand posted:

I hate it when a show takes a full episode before it really starts, would you recommend I skip the first one?

I don't think anyone can answer that for you, since we don't know a) what's important to understanding the show, and what's not, and b) what's important to you, and what's not.

On the face of it I'd say it's a bad idea.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Nah, you should definitely watch it.

muscles like this! posted:

I did like how it doesn't feel like they're wasting time and we got to see what happened at the bottom of the hole fairly quickly. Also have to wonder if all the poo poo Royal has been throwing in there pops out in the future.

I remember reading a very short story about humanity finding a bottomless pit and eventually they just started throwing all their trash and eventually nuclear waste into it, but then years later the first couple things they threw in start to fall from the sky. If this show took inspiration from that story, I知 guessing we値l see that rock again (and dirt, shovel, tarp). It would also make sense that the brother starts shooting at Royal because the body would have popped out recently.

Edit: Here it is! He-y, come on ou-t!, by Shinichi Hoshi

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Apr 17, 2022

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

The ending of e2 should've been the ending of e1

It's interesting enough, will keep watching for now

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Gave it an honest try, but have to say it looks like generic trash. Like it came out of a mystery show template where they just filled in a couple of blanks, the Lynch or Hitchcock or even Katla comparisons are insane to me. There's some incredibly boring cowboy family drama going on that's supposed to occupy your brain between the sparse mystery reveals and I did not care about it at all. Visually it has absolutely nothing going on, zero style. Song choices also terrible - Paint it Black, give me a loving break.
Worst of all, there's not even that much mystery going on - there's a weird hole that makes things disappear and potentially allows time travel. At some point it will turn out that some people who have been missing actually went into the hole and gone somewhere/time else. Maybe it will turn out that some characters are actually the same character. I don't care, I've seen this story a million times already and better. Boring and stupid, moving on.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

K

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I wish they combined the ep1&2 scripts to one, the first episode feels very shallow but unfortunately contains some important stuff.

Professor Shark posted:

Nah, you should definitely watch it.

I remember reading a very short story about humanity finding a bottomless pit and eventually they just started throwing all their trash and eventually nuclear waste into it, but then years later the first couple things they threw in start to fall from the sky. If this show took inspiration from that story, I知 guessing we値l see that rock again (and dirt, shovel, tarp). It would also make sense that the brother starts shooting at Royal because the body would have popped out recently.

Edit: Here it is! He-y, come on ou-t!, by Shinichi Hoshi

I've read something similar in a comic by Alan Moore, However it seems obvious that this time hole treats living beings(or just Royal) differently than dead matter: Royal didn't appear just right after the body.
Unless the time flows in different rates on both 'sides' of the hole, that's also possible.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I wish they combined the ep1&2 scripts to one, the first episode feels very shallow but unfortunately contains some important stuff.

I've read something similar in a comic by Alan Moore, However it seems obvious that this time hole treats living beings(or just Royal) differently than dead matter: Royal didn't appear just right after the body.
Unless the time flows in different rates on both 'sides' of the hole, that's also possible.

Someone on Reddit pointed out that Royal痴 watch was off by two hours after having been in the hole for just a couple seconds, so it could be that the body showed up hours before Royal and was cleared sway

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I hope that my idea turns out correct because it would open many more questions, but we will see in the next episode.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
oh poo poo is this show an adaptation of Mel's Hole?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I liked the first 2 eps enough that I'll keep watching. Idk if I've seen this actress before but her last name makes me giggle.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
It's worth noting that Tom Pelphrey is in this who is always great.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
I'm really enjoying this. If you like the mystery aspect of this then you might like Severance.

Seems obvious Autum is the little girl, their eyes are identical. But maybe that is TOO obvious. Also seems she's from the future and come back, after being in the cult (future cult).

I'm guessing that what happens from the hole impacts the future, so the reality shown when we see the hole-future will change based on the actions Royal takes now.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
At what point does Royal end up becoming Cable and/or Thanos?

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

Everyone posted:

At what point does Royal end up becoming Cable and/or Thanos?

If this is a stealth MCU prequel, I'm for it.

... 'cause right now, it's a little flat. Concept and cast are top notch but execution is lacking that special talent to draw out the creepiness/weirdness in a paranormal story.

It also feels strange that they would make the mcguffin time hole such obvious, kinda cheap looking CGI. It's the kind of effect you expect to see used for a single episode of an anthology series. The show Dark made such good use of a real cave entrance in the forest to represent their time hole thing.

Checking IMDB, it appears that this is the first thing that writer/creator Brian Watkins has ever done? Can't find any other work he may have been involved in.

Penitent fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 19, 2022

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

grate deceiver posted:

Gave it an honest try, but have to say it looks like generic trash. Like it came out of a mystery show template where they just filled in a couple of blanks, the Lynch or Hitchcock or even Katla comparisons are insane to me. There's some incredibly boring cowboy family drama going on that's supposed to occupy your brain between the sparse mystery reveals and I did not care about it at all. Visually it has absolutely nothing going on, zero style. Song choices also terrible - Paint it Black, give me a loving break.
Worst of all, there's not even that much mystery going on - there's a weird hole that makes things disappear and potentially allows time travel. At some point it will turn out that some people who have been missing actually went into the hole and gone somewhere/time else. Maybe it will turn out that some characters are actually the same character. I don't care, I've seen this story a million times already and better. Boring and stupid, moving on.

ty for letting us know

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Professor Shark posted:

Someone on Reddit pointed out that Royal痴 watch was off by two hours after having been in the hole for just a couple seconds, so it could be that the body showed up hours before Royal and was cleared sway

He lost 2 hours before he even saw the hole; it was while he was looking at cattle and heard the low rumbling sound. It's not until the next day when he's looking for his missing cattle that he finds the hole.

The ending of the first two episodes definitely make you want to watch the next one.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

He lost 2 hours before he even saw the hole; it was while he was looking at cattle and heard the low rumbling sound. It's not until the next day when he's looking for his missing cattle that he finds the hole.

The ending of the first two episodes definitely make you want to watch the next one.

Good catch

I started watching Dark based on comparisons being drawn to this show. So far I知 pretty meh on it tbh. It seems like it was really well liked, though.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

Good catch

I started watching Dark based on comparisons being drawn to this show. So far I知 pretty meh on it tbh. It seems like it was really well liked, though.

Give it time, Dark is sort of plodding until it suddenly takes a left turn into madness.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

At the 3rd episode of Dark and I don't find it in any way 'plodding' , I find it hard to remember all the characters so the pace suits me fine.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Next two episodes are up.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lol at Royal threatening the county assessor with throwing him down the time hole.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Not seen the two new eps (yet) but I assume the hole, properly utilised, would provide an endless supply of crude oil, and this is part of the reason why the neighbours want it.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I'll probably give this a go soon. Imogen Poots is great in most things, and Josh Brolin and Will Patton are always fun. Prime seems to really hold back on the original TV shows, for some reason.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
that dude just wants to SING

skinwalker ranch, the show! sort of

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Can I see a picture of your missing wife?

Autumn is a goddamn adventure game protagonist, that's the only justification for her actions.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Regarding the theory that

Autumn = Amy...is Amy about 9 years old? Wondering if Amy falls into the hole, and due to Time Hole Fuckery, that explains why Autumn says she had no memories before she was 9 until she came to the ranch. She might not have even known (until she got back to the ranch) that she WAS Amy, just had some "urge" to get to the ranch?

It's also clear that the Time Hole isn't consistent. Royal's arm going in it sent his consciousness "ahead" about an hour or so...the dead body appeared just a few days later, in a completely different spot, and then Royal himself went at least a couple years (his wide said he died in her arms two years ago, so has to be at least a little more than that, but not too much since no one looked substantially older.) and jumping back in got him, more or less, back to the same time he left (looks like he maybe a few hours? If he put the body in at like 2 AM, he comes back around dawn)

Plus we have the bison that's likely from the 1800's (I guess it could be from earlier, whenever the Native Americans in that region got bow and arrow technology?) and that head of the Chamber of Commerce claims a Mammoth or Mastodon is in a cave.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Woof. If the show thinks it's being subtle by implying that Royal and Autumn are biological kin, it's not. That song choice was very very on the nose. I'm currently amusing myself with the notion that she wants to bone the singing cowboy because

It's kinda weird how this show is a very normal mystery thriller that also happens to involve a time hole. The time hole was used to dispose of Trevor's body, but they might as well have dumped the corpse in a shallow ditch for all it's affecting the current drama. (I know there's the whole time of death thing).

Performances are still very watchable, and the show has been laying on the weird like it's gonna go all cowboy twin peaks any minute now -- Clamato! -- but I'm keen for the show to move past this stuff and start doing something that brings the show's best subject into the thick of things:

Time hole!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Oh, ALSO, what the Hell is the deal with
Captain Clamato's weird rock? Like...I guess due to how drat dark everything is, I could not tell at all what it was other than some rock. And then when the Clamato was spilled on it the inside of it started moving?

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

DrBouvenstein posted:

Oh, ALSO, what the Hell is the deal with
Captain Clamato's weird rock? Like...I guess due to how drat dark everything is, I could not tell at all what it was other than some rock. And then when the Clamato was spilled on it the inside of it started moving?

That effect was there from when he first got it.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
It's also present on the necklace Autumn has

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
I choose to believe in a world where there are fritos at the bottom of the time hole.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I enjoyed the latest episodes. Seeing that Royal cheated even with a good hand was fun (I couldn't help but notice that 9 came up again with Autumn, the card she was holding out for).

I'm concerned that Will Patton's character's homage to Lynch will start to grate on me.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Fructidor
Jan 8, 2004

Really got Cormac McCarthy vibes from Royal's dark unknowable cowboy philosophizing capped off by him going to the jakes in that last ep