Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I just started watching Severance last night based on the mentions it and really like it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Oh the bear thing is totally obvious now. Maybe I shouldn’t be so stoned when I watch this show.

I guess in the next season we’ll find out why Autumn/Amy is so manic (although the events in the last couple days of the series are plenty to gently caress someone’s brain up for life) and maybe why she and Billy are such gross and terrible kissers.

I assume she really has been in a cult the whole time.

Anyhow, sure seems like most of hardships in the show could have been avoided if anyone one character told any single mysterious thing to any other character instead of just grunting at each other.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Just finished watching this and thought it wavered somewhere between okay and pretty good, but I also feel like I'm going to need to see a second season to really decide how I feel about this first one.

The strangest thing was the way the tone veered between stoic realism and weird, absurd comedy. Severance did something similar, but it felt more out of place and... odd here. Like Royal telling Karl that there are no fritos in the hole or the crazy bad kisses that were very clearly intended to be comedically bad and gross.

Right now it's hard to tell whether some of these decisions are bog-standard mystery box sci-fi with a touch of self-importance or if there's more to them.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
IMO if you can't tell the whether a show is good or bad by the end of that show's first season, then that season was bad.

Like, it's not even the mystery box thing, I don't super care for the genre but there are plenty of good enough shows in that style. By the end of the season I still don't understand what this story was fundamentally about.

There's a cult with a time hole and a thematic throughline of existential dread and a pair of warring ranching families and a time travelling mentally ill cultist and a James from Twin Peaks fanfic, and very little of it speaks to any other part of it. It's just a bunch of stuff, I can't read a thesis out of any of it.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

I think that sort of sums up my feelings on this show. I'm very lukewarm on the disparate threads of story.
None of them are strong enough to hold mystery on their own, but also not enough of them are wound tightly together enough to make something super compelling.
At the moment I want to see what happens with the same gusto that I would from week to week. What I doubt is that in a year or so, whenever season 2 comes out, I will give a poo poo or even remember what was mysterious.

Rivethead
Feb 22, 2008

I finished this over the weekend. The only thing I really didn't understand was, why did Cecilia make the dead bear cub chomp on her hand?
Other than that and Autumn's complete change of character during the poker game, I enjoyed it.

Things to think about :

There are bears all over this story. There are even bears in the bible passage they discuss at Cecilia's bible study.

"Get out of here, baldy!” they said. “Get out of here, baldy!” He turned around, looked at them and called down a curse on them in the name of the Lord. Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the boys."

The moral of the bible passage above is to respect your elders.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Also don't mock a man's bald spot. especially if he's a bear.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

By popular demand posted:

Also don't mock a man's bald spot. especially if he's a bear.

Do bears generate speed or power?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Rivethead posted:

I finished this over the weekend. The only thing I really didn't understand was, why did Cecilia make the dead bear cub chomp on her hand?

I assumed that was so that if the law showed up and found the dead bear in the shed, she had a legalish reason for shooting it.