Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Are you sure? I distinctly remember him on TV shortly after winning when he said that we need a public option and it was no different than the USPS and UPS/FedEx who live in harmony with a public option. Then republicans absolutely killed the public option. Recall that it barely passed as watered-down as it was, and also was one vote away from losing the Supreme Court case.

I don't think he was great but his Supreme Court is the only reason my brother was allowed to get married, he unfucked the economy that was ravaged by 8 years of failed republican policies, he directly is responsible for me and my wife receiving $8,000 for buying our first home, he undid all the terrible laws Bush passed with regards to stem cell research, he made sure people like my sister can no longer be denied health insurance for having been born with a disorder, and his CFPB helped me when a local company tried to gently caress me out of several thousand dollars and I would have otherwise had zero recourse.

He wasn't great by any means but he definitely helped me and my little middle class family out in a bunch of different ways that would have never happened with McCain winning.

No idea, I heard it second hand from Behind the Bastards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

These are basically the answers one should look for. I can't give any sort of a quality answer because it never affected me personally.

Still, my dad (who leaned right, but died shortly after Trump took office, no idea what he'd think these days) called it fairly well: the man wrote two autobiographies without doing anything of note in life and basically had his whole voting record being "Present". I really wanted him to live up to some of the hype behind him. He really didn't.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Obama is a long-legged mack daddy. Obama pimps white women and black women.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Are you sure? I distinctly remember him on TV shortly after winning when he said that we need a public option and it was no different than the USPS and UPS/FedEx who live in harmony with a public option. Then republicans absolutely killed the public option. Recall that it barely passed as watered-down as it was, and also was one vote away from losing the Supreme Court case.

I don't think he was great but his Supreme Court is the only reason my brother was allowed to get married, he unfucked the economy that was ravaged by 8 years of failed republican policies, he directly is responsible for me and my wife receiving $8,000 for buying our first home, he undid all the terrible laws Bush passed with regards to stem cell research, he made sure people like my sister can no longer be denied health insurance for having been born with a disorder, and his CFPB helped me when a local company tried to gently caress me out of several thousand dollars and I would have otherwise had zero recourse.

He wasn't great by any means but he definitely helped me and my little middle class family out in a bunch of different ways that would have never happened without McCain winning.

Hate to break it to you, but the public option and various other measures were defeated by Democrats themselves and Obama did little to nothing to push back on any of it

Also "his" supreme court?? :thunk:

Getting rid of the ability to jettison healthcare because of preexisting conditions was good, but his plan did absolutely nothing to solve the issues of out-of-control costs and we still have millions of people completely without any sort of care and even those that do are still relying on loving GoFundMe to make sure they don't end up homeless from cancer treatments, so the reality is that it didn't do much of anything constructive

I was in Texas when I lost my job and was cut out from my employers insurance and the lovely bill didn't require Texas to opt in to a Medicare/medicaid program so among my only options were to pay a fine or get a $250 Molina plan (at a minimum) for insurance that I couldn't use at almost anywhere. When I came down with a brutal sinus infection, I was turned away at the vast majority of places for "not being accepted" and I only got care when a loving cvs minute clinic took pity on me. Can't even imagine what would have happened had I actually had a serious condition

gently caress obama and gently caress toothless half measures

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Owns.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Good soup! posted:

Hate to break it to you, but the public option and various other measures were defeated by Democrats themselves and Obama did little to nothing to push back on any of it

Getting rid of the ability to jettison healthcare because of preexisting conditions was good, but his plan did absolutely nothing to solve the issues of out-of-control costs and we still have millions of people completely without any sort of care and even those that do are still relying on loving GoFundMe to make sure they don't end up homeless from cancer treatments, so the reality is that it didn't do much of anything constructive

I was in Texas when I lost my job and was cut out from my employers insurance and the lovely bill didn't require Texas to opt in to a Medicare/medicaid program so among my only options were to pay a fine or get a $250 Molina plan (at a minimum) for insurance that I couldn't use at almost anywhere. When I came down with a brutal sinus infection, I was turned away at the vast majority of places for "not being accepted" and I only got care when a loving cvs minute clinic took pity on me. Can't even imagine what would have happened had I actually had a serious condition

gently caress obama and gently caress toothless half measures

Yes, his Supreme Court. If McCain were president, marriage equality would not have passed and Obamacare, as toothless as it was, would have been overturned. So yeah it's a pretty big deal who is president.

Maybe it was all a show but he definitely was on TV talking about how important a public option was. Maybe he was bullshitting us and he knew it would never pass but I'm not sure why he'd do that so shortly after winning. It's not like he said it right before reelection or anything. Or maybe the health insurance lobby got to him and made him change his ways. Who knows.

Also it sounds like a lot of your problems can be blamed on living in Texas. Don't blame Obama for your state turning its nose on any policy remotely left of center.

The health care system in the US is still completely poo poo (I have a great private union job with great benefits and still every loving time I go to the doctor I get hundreds of dollars in bills I always have to fight to be covered) but it would somehow be even worse had he not been president. And yeah he should be tried for continuing Bush's bullshit wars but no president will ever face repercussions for anything ever as history has taught us.

Luckily I think the days of the general public being OK with war is done. I can't find a single republican or democrat in my personal life that is pro war any more. I am not sure why the Ukraine situation is getting so much attention when the invasion of Georgia was a blip on the radar for people, but something changed in a very short amount of time and people no longer support bullshit expensive wars and that alone is going to be a huge benefit to society going forward. It also hopefully means that presidents like Bush and Obama would no longer get away with the atrocities they were involved in. I hope.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Apr 17, 2022

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I just remember the golden age of absolutely terrible caricatures of him in the political cartoons threads

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
WIZARD MASTERRRR

e: wait nm

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Dixville posted:

I just remember the golden age of absolutely terrible caricatures of him in the political cartoons threads

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
Choom squad 4 life

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

funeral home DJ posted:

He wasn’t great but a ton better than McCain/Palin and that rich white mormon guy whose name I always forget would’ve been.

That said McCain could’ve botched the economic recovery in 2008/2009 and caused the “Great Recession” to become “Great Depression II: Starve Harder” which could’ve eventually resulted in a US societal collapse which would’ve been a net benefit for the world at large. We already are seeing how hosed the economy is from a year of ignoring a pandemic so a complete collapse of the economy followed by tight economic austerity would’ve been a blast to live through.

Obviously we'll never know but I've always felt that history would have unfolded almost the same way if McCain won 2008.

edit: the guy's landmark piece of legislation he got passed was a law requiring people to give insurance companies money or pay a fine lmao.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Jose Oquendo posted:

Obviously we'll never know but I've always felt that history would have unfolded almost the same way if McCain won 2008.

I'm not so sure. I know a lot of people at my job who were ready to retire and lost their entire retirement plan because of Bush. They had to stay another couple of years to retire, but if McCain won those same people would have had to wait another 10+ years.

McCain would have also spent 10x the amount Obama did on overseas wars, making the national debt under Bush and Trump look like a rounding error. Though McCain winning twice might have meant Trump would not have won, so who knows what the better outcome would have been.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Also I think Biden just passed some law about unfair medical billing, though I have no idea what it does or how to even utilize it.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Strategic Tea posted:

Nah killing dictators is good, at any cost

What dictators did he kill? I only remember him killing Bin Laden (who by then was a drug addled anime lover) and piles and piles of civilians.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Yes, his Supreme Court. If McCain were president, marriage equality would not have passed and Obamacare, as toothless as it was, would have been overturned. So yeah it's a pretty big deal who is president.

You know what he could have done too? Try to actually pass marriage equality when he had the chance instead of relying on the whims of the court

quote:

Also it sounds like a lot of your problems can be blamed on living in Texas. Don't blame Obama for your state turning its nose on any policy remotely left of center.
[/quote]

Bro, honestly, go gently caress yourself with this line of thinking. No one should be condemned to poo poo loving healthcare access because of where they live, that is some coastal liberal horseshit. I can, and should, absolutely blame his administration and the Dems in power at the time for neutering everything that could have solved so many issues but they opted not to include them because gee golly willickers some of the lobbyists and suburban republican voters might get M-m-m-m-m-m-mad at us!!!!!!

They could have tried something, anything to make Republican lead states to fall in line and they simply didn't fight hard enough which ultimately condemned people like me that ended up jobless and without insurance through no fault of our own to get hosed because of rear end in a top hat notions of "welp, you ended up in a "red" state, you deserve to get hosed"

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
He was alright. I wish he'd have been able to run for a 3rd term.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Another MAN in the whitehouse, Hillary should have won!

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Flyndre posted:

And he’s got good taste in hot dogs

Definitely a glizzy gulper

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

man wore tan suit

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

ellasmith posted:

Do you think he did a good job? I go back and forth feeling like he did the best he could or he’s a piece of poo poo. Obviously the republicans are garbage but I’m not sure if he like tried his best or hoodwinked us and never really cared.

Both parties are hot garbage, OP. Obama didn't take mah gunz, so a point for him I suppose.

edit: gently caress shaved ice. seriously, the gently caress, it's literally a snow cone.

edit: have to wonder if having Uncle Joe on his ticket led to our current too-old white guy in the office. So maybe point deducted.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Apr 17, 2022

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
when obama invited all the republicans to come watch Lincoln at the crib and nobody showed up

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Cornwind Evil posted:

These are basically the answers one should look for. I can't give any sort of a quality answer because it never affected me personally.

Still, my dad (who leaned right, but died shortly after Trump took office, no idea what he'd think these days) called it fairly well: the man wrote two autobiographies without doing anything of note in life and basically had his whole voting record being "Present". I really wanted him to live up to some of the hype behind him. He really didn't.

Hey no offense at all intended but your old man sounds like a goddamn idiot.

Even if you think Obama sucked rear end he did enough to write an autobiography before ever being president, let alone accomplishing enough to, you know, then become and stay president for two terms.

Like you might not LIKE what he did, but "he didn't even do anything with his life who the hell is this guy" is the dumbest loving take to possibly come away with.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Colonel Cancer posted:

Another MAN in the whitehouse, Hillary should have won!

Nothing in the rules that says a ferret can't be president

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Good soup! posted:

He was disappointing and did little to nothing at all to improve the lives of the working class and it's a shame because the guy really had the opportunity to do some good, cool poo poo

Lemme see you do better with the Senate he had.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Good soup! posted:

With Roe v Wade about to be overturned, imagine a person thinking the president's power to appoint justices is unimportant. Imagine how foolish a person would have to be to entertain such a notion.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

gleebster posted:

With Roe v Wade about to be overturned, imagine a person thinking the president's power to appoint justices is unimportant. Imagine how foolish a person would have to be to entertain such a notion.

its more like the wistful desire that Obama talked RBG into retiring, which idk if that is even on the menu for political debate, thats the interpersonal political poo poo beyond most of us

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

liked him ok until the tan suit incident, never recovered from that

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

20 Blunts posted:

its more like the wistful desire that Obama talked RBG into retiring, which idk if that is even on the menu for political debate, thats the interpersonal political poo poo beyond most of us

Lol @ the idea of RBG listening to a black person telling her what to do.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Flowers for QAnon posted:

Lol @ the idea of RBG listening to a black person telling her what to do.

he would simply begin by saying "Ruth, this is the white half of me talking."

a lot of people do not understand the true power that comes from being mixed race

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Dixville posted:

:barry:

So bad he got a smilie.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 16 days!)

obama's the guy who writes those year end movie and book lists right

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

roomtone posted:

obama's the guy who writes those year end movie and book lists right

He's been picking the pantone color of the year since 1999

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i thought he did the mid-year list articles, not end-of-year. hence the play on words, "obummer", rhyming with summer.

this is in the northern hemisphere of course. i don't know if antipodean publications used a different pun.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

it's pretty wild how obama was blowing up weddings and poo poo and so he was like man i need to not do that oh i know *orders military to invent a missile that turns vehicles into meat blenders BEFORE it atomizes your butthole*

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I feel that he exists

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i didnt think he was a very good president especially with all the drone assassinations and deportations and such. but now he's doing narration for nature documentaries and i think he'll probably be pretty good at that job. he's got a nice voice.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I liked listening to him speak and would have a beer with him. As the years go on though I feel a lot less enthusiastic about his tenure.

I'd still gladly take him over any of the opposition or hell i'd even take him for a 3rd term over biden at this point if that were allowed.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

He should be on trial in the Hague with the rest of our presidents.

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI
I thought he at least ran the executive branch well. Like yeah, ObamaCare is objectively garbage and the stimulus package was trash. But most of the parts of government I have to interact with at least worked. Can't say that about Bush or Trump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
As someone who isn't American, Obama is really popular mostly, especially after the Trump years. The main thing is he should have been much more aggressive in his agenda. It seemed like he was the 'pick your battles' type, pushing on the most important stuff to him, but he seemed to believe in bi-partisanship (the problem is that doesn't work when a chunk of the other side is acting in bad faith, and instead of working with you to find a compromise, are spreading conspiracy theories about you).

Like he ordered Guantanamo Bay to be shut, the Republicans blocked him, and he never really revisited the issue. All political leaders are a mixed bag, but Obama was one of the stronger US presidents.