Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

quote:

What game is this?

Final Fantasy X. It's the Xth Final Fantasy game. It's also my favourite honestly, I really like the battle system and being able to hotswap your characters mid battle makes your party feel like an actual group of people instead of three people and a bench.

quote:

Hey the game audio is kinda overpowering

Yeah I'm working on that, this is a new set up since :siren:Grace and I live together now!!!:siren: so it's taking some fixing. Also I was really drunk when we decided to LP a 50+ hour long JRPG on a whim, imagine that.

quote:

Why?! Why would you start another really long LP when you haven't finished any of the currently running ones?!

USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST

:siren:Episodes!:siren:

Let's Play Final Fantasy X Episode 1 - If You Love Stupid Video Games, You're Gonna Love This

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Reserved, dunno why but it's reserved

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

FFX is incredibly dumb, but god drat if it's not so colorful and stylistically distinctive that I really like just looking at it sometimes. I couldn't stick with it - nor any other Final Fantasy game - but the opening stuff before they set you loose was just actually fun and interesting.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
FFX is one of those games I can only enjoy through an LP, it's way too stupid to play by my self.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Is it wrong that I somehow expected a bait and switch to a second Metal Gear Survive LP after the sky hole?

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

I saw this pop up on my Youtube home page because I'm the sucker that watched all those Terraria videos, and just started laughing and saying "oh no."

I'll be impressed if you finish this, and not because I'm making fun of your track record or anything. This is just a long, insane, long fuckin game. But it's pretty fun, especially if you already know the end spoilers and can watch how they set those up. (Being deliberately vague about those for now but I also feel like as soon as I click the video Grace is gonna blurt out at least one of them.)

edit: please imagine my oh no getting bigger until it fills your screen if you intend to play X-2 as well

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
thought Dan was gonna name Tidus Grace for a second

Qtotonibudinibudet fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Apr 18, 2022

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

I wanna be a blitzball when I grow up

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

auron is a cool druncle

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
FFX was the first Final Fantasy game I actually finished. I liked it when I was a teenager, turned on it when I was into The Spoony Experiment and he was overreacting to it, and have come back around on it thanks to exposure to more recent, more chill LPs of it. It's very goofy and feels like it came from a teenage mindset, but it's also fun and looks and sounds good, so it's impossible to say if it's bad or not.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Kimahri should never leave the party. Ever. Keep him in your top 3 at all times.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

You did end up with a really excellent first episode title, but "Auron biffed us into the anus and now we're here" would have been pretty solid as well.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass

Promising amount of anusses (anussi?) in the first episode. Looking forward to see Dan & Grace tackle the undoubtedly sprawling plot of a Final Fantasy game with their characteristic attention to detail.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I honestly do want to give Kimahri more of a shot than he usually gets, but like drat I really don't know what to do with him. Even on the special sphere grid he starts off in the middle of nothing great.

Wakka starts off pretty close to him and for a second I wanted to see what would happen if I got Lancet on him, but sadly Wakka can never know Ronso Rage :smith:

I should mention, game mechanics chat is fine but Grace hasn't played this before, so don't ruin the surprise of the real stupid poo poo for him

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.
I always sent Kimahri down Rikku's path; it was useful to get some early steals in, and his solo fight is an easy source of key spheres.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat
I usually send Kimahri down Rikku's path to start, the early cluster of HP increases gives him some extra survivability and 'use item' is a flexible, mostly stat-independent boost to his general jack-of-all-trades theme that keeps him competent until he starts picking up the useful Overdrives. He's never really the best character but the main game isn't especially hard if you're not running from every fight.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Danaru posted:

Grace hasn't played this before, so don't ruin the surprise of the real stupid poo poo for him

:sickos: Grace, I look forward to seeing how loudly and confusedly you can yell WHAT?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Fun fact. I streamed this game and died in the tutorial. It's possible.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

GrandmaParty posted:

Fun fact. I streamed this game and died in the tutorial. It's possible.

To the Sinscales? IIRC the Sinspawn boss does nothing but cast Demi, which can't actually kill your party.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Solitair posted:

To the Sinscales? IIRC the Sinspawn boss does nothing but cast Demi, which can't actually kill your party.

Yep! Got hit by demi a bunch, didn't smack the machine part fast enough.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
:siren:New Episode!:siren:

Let's Play Final Fantasy X Episode 2 - That Doesn't Sound Very Dope At All

I sincerely love the sphere grid and I wish every game had one

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

Danaru posted:

I like it for how effectively it deceives you. The way it's laid out makes you feel like you have way more choice than you actually do. It's not until late game that you can really start playing with it.

The expert grid fixes that, so I think you made the right choice in Ep. 1. Well, as long as you want some actual control over character building anyway.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Danaru posted:

You say that but then you look at Legend of Demon Rush...

PepperedMoth
Apr 8, 2022

Less salt, more pepper.
Ah, Final Fantasy X. I first played it when I was like 14, making it objectively the best Final Fantasy game. :P

It sort of feels to me like the game doesn't really start until Spiky-haired Blond Protagonist washes up on Besaid; despite all the glorious weirdness (first introduction to the extremely-impractical sport of Blitzball [proof that this world's inhabitants have freakishly high-capacity lungs], Blond Protagonist's daddy issues, and the Space Whale that Sucks You into its Mystery Hole), it's probably my least favorite part of the game. Maybe it's just that everything is so dang dark in the first two areas that it's a relief to see some sunlight at last.

The Sphere Grid is kind of a neat level-up system; I think it works pretty well thematically as well as mechanically.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Final Fantasy X Episode 3 - Doink

The sound design in this game is immaculate, also I'm very sorry but I will probably actually yell "DOINK" after every hit by Wakka because it's hilarious to me and that's all I care about

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I am gonna have a few words on a few notes that amuse me once we get to our first Blitzball game. I don't have a ton of experience in this game, but I played through it recently, and a lot of details are still pretty fresh in my mind.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

the blitzball donk sound is even better on some eventual boss, for a Reason, and maybe i'll remember to post about it when you get there :v:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Final Fantasy X Episode 4 - Frank Help

Gooba& is having a terrible time making first impressions. Get it together guy

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
Oh, this big, dumb game.

The idiotic costume design, the extremely limited enemies, the massive railroading and hallway design... it's everything that made FF13 god awful. Yet somehow, it's still one of my favorite FF games. It's just so drat sincere about itself that it's really hard to hate.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
That is kind of odd, isn't it? I love FFX to bits too, even after having seen it get shredded by the TDI treatment.

I'd say that for one, the battle system makes a turn-based combat system fluid, dynamic, and interesting. And it allows for the entire party to be available in the same fight. So while the dungeons aren't all that interesting, at least the fighting is actually fun.

It also just absolutely nails some of the setpieces. The initial blitzball scene is a bit silly yes, but it's silly and goofy in a cartoon way, and then just throws a city wiping catastrophe in the middle of it. The Sin encounter on the way to Kilika and all the fallout from it is really impactful and gets your attention, visually and emotionally.

It also is very pleasing aesthetically in all the other ways excluding how people dress. The areas are quite pretty and the monsters are interesting to look at despite the excessive palette swapping that happens.

It's also quite coherent and fairly interesting in its overall plot. Tidus being a moron kind of fucks around in the middle of it and dulls some of the impact, but well, poo poo actually happens.

It definitely does a lot wrong as well, but as you said, it's hard to hate.

And now we get to see the Dan and Grace disaster treatment in the middle of all of it, and I'm all for that.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

lol, Jecht loving rules

I honestly think that's a part of why the objective lameness of Tidus's character design (I can't shake the old Fashion Swat line "half a shirt? A third of pants?") never hurt my love of this game. You can look at the main character and think "haha what the gently caress is wrong with this kid" and the game will just have this looming presence of his father 1000% agreeing with you. And it gradually kinda draws you into his whole arc.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I just love that just about every line Jecht has is Elementary-school Bully levels of petty insults.

Flashbacks and dream sequences are fun!

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

In case you were wondering what that Extract Ability skill does, it applies the "Distill Ability" status to an enemy, which will override that enemy's normal sphere drop and force it to drop an Ability Sphere. In the early game Ability Spheres aren't as common, so it helps when you need 'em. I think there's Extract skills for the other sphere types, too.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Neurion posted:

In case you were wondering what that Extract Ability skill does, it applies the "Distill Ability" status to an enemy, which will override that enemy's normal sphere drop and force it to drop an Ability Sphere. In the early game Ability Spheres aren't as common, so it helps when you need 'em. I think there's Extract skills for the other sphere types, too.

This is correct - these Extract abilities did not exist in the original version of the game, it was only in the International version & HD Remake.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Yeah we already found an "extract speed" in someone's grid while looking around :toot: that's a pretty awesome inclusion

Let's Play Final Fantasy X Episode 5 - Trailer Shot

We're uh, really eating poo poo on this whole "stopping Sin" thing, we should probably step this up

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

Christ, I'm actually slightly tempted to get FFX on Switch to check out the Expert grid and everything else that wasn't in the initial release. Thankfully I also want to play other Final Fantasy games more.

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

I never really made the correlation until now, but it feels like sin's toxin is actually just a catch-all for mental health problems seen through the lens of people who have no concept of it. Sin just gets mixed into it because every time they show up it's a huge traumatic event.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
god I'll never get used to how Tidus' and Yuna's faces look in the remaster. They did a good job remastering this otherwise, but they stick out so much.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
You did miss a Primer, but it's obtainable somewhere else later on.

Out of all the Al Behd Primers, four are permanently missable, but they're much later in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

FruitPunchSamurai posted:

I never really made the correlation until now, but it feels like sin's toxin is actually just a catch-all for mental health problems seen through the lens of people who have no concept of it. Sin just gets mixed into it because every time they show up it's a huge traumatic event.

Nah, Sin Toxin is a real thing in that universe. You can speak with a bunch of randos who suffer from it. It's specifically triggered by getting close to Sin and not all the other traumatic happenstances of that world.
Honestly though, it's just written as a neat way to protect Gooba& from the consequences of his stupid actions.
"No wait! You can't execute him for that heresy. You see, he has lost all sense of morality and faith due to Sin's Toxin"
Also it makes the party members have a sort of valid reason why they need to explain to him basic concepts like monsters to him, without having them buy into this stupid story about Zanarkand.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Apr 23, 2022