Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
As it happens, you can skip a character's turn. Should be the Triangle button to defend.

Characters have to take some action in a fight to get AP from it. It doesn't have to be a particularly meaningful action - they can defend, or use an item, or swing and miss. Speaking of which, at least some characters have unique and amusing animations for attacking themselves. Probably not worth doing it just to see, since Confusion exists, but keep an eye out for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

One of the tropes I've been growing to really like in fiction is the member of royalty (usually a crown heir) who either disguises themself and mingles with the populace, or just meets somebody who doesn't know who they are and treats them like a normal person. I have to imagine that people who are used to being worshiped must really enjoy the chance to have a normal interaction with someone, and moreso a hint of a life where that's the norm.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

My general Blitzball strategy is:

1) Use the Techcopy stuff liberally. No help during the first match, obviously (unless you manage to raise one of the random Aurochs to level 3 before overtime and also successfully copy a Tech they can use), but even moves like Venom Pass or Drain Tackle boost the stat they use at the cost of some HP, so by the end of the game (FFX, not the Blitzball match), you'll more or less need to be using one of those techs at every opportunity to succeed at all. Case in point: In the first game, you'd need a miracle to score a goal with anything other than the Jecht Shot/Sphere Shot or Wakka's Venom Shot. And if you want to boost a given character's repertoire, you're going to have to copy those Key Techs to unlock their potential.

2) Don't let the other team gang up on you. Sometimes, they'll already be there when you get the ball, but you usually have a bit of time to react. (Incidentally, only the first toss-up is RNG. After that, the team that didn't score will always get the ball.) It rarely costs anything to hit X in the middle of nowhere and see which defenders will get into the huddle. Ideally, you'll catch just one, and you can Break and Dribble to get past them immediately. Repeat whenever you think you can pull a single defender. When you do get piled on, I like the optimistic approach: if you can't get a good chance at a successful pass, err in favor of breaking to one defender too many. I think it seems to give better odds than hoping that a defender misses a block, and as long as you survive the tackles, there's no bonus for having more EN left over. But if you lose too much PA to blocks, even a pass that gets through can be fumbled. Also, don't go for a shot in that case - you're never going to beat the blocks plus the goalie's CA. If you can get a Nap Shot in, maybe, since that provides a nearly free shot the next time.

3) So what do you do once you've got the ball? Get it to Tidus and swim straight into the opposing goal. If you've got the HP for a Jecht Shot, then ignore the advice about shaking off defenders and shoot with as many as three on your back. Never Break when using the Jecht Shot unless you've got way more EN than you need, because the Jecht Shot negates the first two blockers entirely. Yes, there is a point to all that bouncing the ball off the pole/goal. Later on, you might have other characters who can shoot worth something, but your Jecht Shot is for when you definitely intend to score.

4) When a good player (like Nimrook) is nearing the end of their contract, play that team and dunk on them as hard as you can. Make them look bad so they'll get fired, and then snap them up. There are some excellent free agents out there, but I found very few of the Aurochs to be very strong players in the later games. (Keepa, I'm told, is a monster on offense at very high levels. You'll probably never actually see that, but it's worth keeping in mind.)

5) Play as little Blitzball as possible. I think I set things up so that I only had to play about twelve matches to get all of the unique rewards.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Neurion posted:

This is the worst advice. Forget Yuna's pilgrimage, just play sports

I never said it was advice. It's just my strategy. Besides, some of the best players won't join your team until you make a lot of progress on the pilgrimage, so...

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

A lot of people give FFX a hard time because the characters can be really goofy when they're living in this goofy story, and the Real Life Comics where the dishwasher broke and the main character just unlocked the "Repair Dishwasher" sphere hit the nail on the head, to the point where most people put Kimahri in the niche of "never unlock any sphere grid stuff until you can get to the spell he starts next to, and then teach it to everyone", but you have to admit that the character switching is a brilliant dynamic that lets you keep your healer safe until you need someone to cast Esuna on the only damage dealer you have in the party watch Lulu order her moogle to kick everybody and miss while you throw blitzballs at a miniature tank made of ice just because it can't attack you for three rounds.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I can't stop picturing Auron advancing menacingly toward Lulu, stars circling his head, and Tidus backing away, looking back and forth between Yuna barely keeping her grip on her staff because her hands are full of Remedies, and Wakka, idly bouncing a Blitzball on his knee. And nodding to Wakka.

Status changes are worse underwater, even if you have a character with healing (it's fairly natural to get Tidus into Yuna's Sphere Grid once he finishes his own in the original), mainly because Petrify is instant death. You do get access to some excellent items for healing and removing statuses a bit later, and one of your swimmers can naturally use them, but that's not for a long while and you kind of have to grind for them in a place that's not so fun.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Danaru posted:

It actually does end up being pretty nice to have a Diet Yuna later on once monsters discover that muting Yuna is really fun

Don't you get an Echo Ring from solving the Besaid Temple puzzle?

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I honestly don't remember how Wakka and Luzzu get along if Luzzu survives this battle, but I don't think there's much punching involved.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Brotherhood can't be customized for reasons that will become apparent if you take another look at it when you're done your business in Guadosalam.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

The cactus stones are there for if you either really like Kimahri or don't feel like you hate the Thunder Plains enough and want them to be worse. For whatever reason, you have to hit Square to activate them instead of X. I don't think anything in the game ever tells you this.

I'm also surprised that you stopped your diligent Lanceting at the Iron Giant. Even though it doesn't have a particularly useful move, it still instantly fills up your Overdrive meter once when you learn it. (And it's good for the small, agile enemies, since they can't dodge it.)

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

The status effect of Pain that Aeons are immune to is instant death. You really don't want to attempt to fight Anima with your people.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

To be fair, "you have to solve the entire puzzle, then destroy your solution completely to get the reward, then solve it all again" is the actual solution to the puzzle. You just added an extra iteration of that. I have no idea why this would be the one Cloister where they let you leave and reset everything, since I don't believe it's possible to trap yourself by any sequence of moves, but it doesn't strike me as the worst design decision on display here.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Didn't we just?

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

To be fair, the Scan text suggests that you can cure the Berserk status to reduce the yeti's strength. It may also be Blindable. Or you can ditch the Blitzball and take it on with the only approved anti-Yeti throwing weapon - a delicious custard pie.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

While Demi is based on current HP and is thus very effective against worms early in the fight, poison is based on max HP and is effective throughout the fight. If you don't have a Poisontouch or Poisonstrike weapon, I believe Bio should be effective.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I believe Auto-Potion uses the cheapest potion you have, so if you get rid of all of your Potions, she should start using Hi-Potions.

And I've never seen a Kimahri Thrust Kick eject an enemy from battle. I'm sure at least some enemies are immune, but it never says IMMUNE, and I'm sure I've tried it on enemies that Auron's Shooting Star can launch.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Piercing is one of the cheapest abilities to add to a weapon, at least. I usually give it to at least one other character in addition to Auron, for those high-defense enemies that don't answer to Armor Break.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

What do you think these are, Fastitocalon?

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

If memory serves, you can interact with the screen showing the colored shapes to get an overview of where those shapes are on the floor. There's nothing in the game to hint that that might be the case.

I never knew that you could remove the Kilika Sphere early and leave yourself in the dark for the rest of the cloister. I don't see why they couldn't just lock it in place until you've solved the rest of the puzzles.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

The true champion strategy is to spend a bit more time stealing Candles of Life from the ghost enemies in Zanarkand. I think just ten of them gets you Zombieproof. I put that and Deathproof on the Echo Ring that Yuna always seems to have by this point, and buy a bunch of Holy Waters beforehand. The second and third phases aren't too bad at that point - I got into a rhythm of having a character near death use Holy Water so Yuna could Curaga them, and if they got Mega Deathed before the next Hellbiter, oh well. They'd come back un-zombied anyway.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

The other implication is that this is a closely guarded secret, but... there are a lot of Summoners who have multiple Guardians, and only one of those becomes the Final Aeon. What happens to the rest? Has there never been one who left afterward, recognized the new Sin as the previous Final Aeon, and went back to tell someone what they'd learned? True, they probably wouldn't know anything about Yu Yevon, but even just knowing that the Final Aeon becomes the new Sin would be a pretty good indicator that the Final Summoning isn't doing anything to affect the death cycle in any meaningful way.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

There is a road to Bevelle at the far end of Macalania Woods, near the Calm Lands. You can never use it during the game.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Bronze?

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

What happens when you pray to the cactus stones is that they add Qactuars to the random encounter pool for the Thunder Plains. The more you pray to, the more you can meet in a single fight, up to three. Of course, with No Encounters active, the contents of the encounter pool are irrelevant, but you do need to catch some if you want to complete the captures for the area.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Can't believe you were talking about wanting to use Energy Blast and then didn't talk to the one person in Besaid who can teach you how to do Energy Blast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

It's the inevitable consequence of creating a system in which normal progress isn't quite enough, but any amount of grinding (particularly when it includes collecting all of the Celestial Weapons) makes you so strong that you're effectively untouchable. You know how it goes. Your name is Gooba&. You're a whiny Blitzball ace. Your hobby is exploiting spheres. You get too strong. And that makes you sad. You can defeat any enemy with one counterattack. You tear your hair out in frustration. And you lose all intelligence. You want to feel the rush of random battles. You'd like to meet an incredibly strong super boss. And you'd like to defeat it in one turn. That's because you're 1MP man.