Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
That is kind of odd, isn't it? I love FFX to bits too, even after having seen it get shredded by the TDI treatment.

I'd say that for one, the battle system makes a turn-based combat system fluid, dynamic, and interesting. And it allows for the entire party to be available in the same fight. So while the dungeons aren't all that interesting, at least the fighting is actually fun.

It also just absolutely nails some of the setpieces. The initial blitzball scene is a bit silly yes, but it's silly and goofy in a cartoon way, and then just throws a city wiping catastrophe in the middle of it. The Sin encounter on the way to Kilika and all the fallout from it is really impactful and gets your attention, visually and emotionally.

It also is very pleasing aesthetically in all the other ways excluding how people dress. The areas are quite pretty and the monsters are interesting to look at despite the excessive palette swapping that happens.

It's also quite coherent and fairly interesting in its overall plot. Tidus being a moron kind of fucks around in the middle of it and dulls some of the impact, but well, poo poo actually happens.

It definitely does a lot wrong as well, but as you said, it's hard to hate.

And now we get to see the Dan and Grace disaster treatment in the middle of all of it, and I'm all for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
The Sin Toxin does allow him to act hideously stupid in terms of everything without serious consequences..... but couldn't they just, y'know, not have him act that hideously stupid? There's a difference between ignorance and stupidity, and he embraces both wholeheartedly.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I mean, that’s fair…

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
The stair running scene is kind of some nice pressure release. It's good to have poeple act at least a little goofy, but then, poo poo, piss, Sinspawn!

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I enjoyed Blitzball, though I'm not entirely certain why. I'm guessing a lot of it was the troll factor of firing the entire Aurochs team and bringing in random people off the street to play for you.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

Nidoking posted:

A lot of people give FFX a hard time because the characters can be really goofy when they're living in this goofy story, and the Real Life Comics where the dishwasher broke and the main character just unlocked the "Repair Dishwasher" sphere hit the nail on the head, to the point where most people put Kimahri in the niche of "never unlock any sphere grid stuff until you can get to the spell he starts next to, and then teach it to everyone", but you have to admit that the character switching is a brilliant dynamic that lets you keep your healer safe until you need someone to cast Esuna on the only damage dealer you have in the party watch Lulu order her moogle to kick everybody and miss while you throw blitzballs at a miniature tank made of ice just because it can't attack you for three rounds.

Thank you for your summary. I think my brain shut down entirely during that sequence and so I didn't remember it at all until you summarized it for me.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Kimahri showcases the problem of trying to design a jack of all trades character ala Bards. Though he somehow manages to do it worse with essentially becoming a jack of one trade, master of none.

Though I’m curious how effective Lancet is as a damage move if you have the magic stats of going down Yuna’s path. Never tried that.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
It’s also why Frank lost that summon duel. You did generally the right thing, Frank just didn’t have enough stats to actually kill.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
O'aka taking the save sphere away right in front of you was legitimately hilarious. The fact that the surprise threw you into an encounter immediately because the Guado caught up with you was the icing on the cake.

Edit: I will say that as funny as the episodes are, they kind of drive me nuts. The number of times you have someone down, and you choose to have a character throw a Phoenix Down rather than bring Yuna in to Life them. It's both a waste of the Phoenix Down and denying Yuna the experience that fight.

Keldulas fucked around with this message at 05:39 on May 20, 2022

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Luck legitimately doesn't matter unless you're trying the post game. It's effect doesn't do much in small amounts, and you get so few of the relevant spheres that it's impossible to get enough to matter.

I know there's a late game grinding method for them, though it's been far too long for me to actually remember how.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I'm pretty sure Bevelle in general is supposed to be a demonstration of the extreme hypocrisy that Yevon swims in. However, they kind of executed it poorly in that it opens up so many plot holes.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
That's definitely a game that Brother can accomplish.

In addition to that, he has a really good pass stat, so you could even share the goals. It would probably end up in less goals overall because of the pass time but hey....

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I like that the reason that Evrae is even remotely a roadblock is because people generally don't use items in JRPGs. Al Bhed potions kind of poo poo on that fight really hard, but if you don't use them, you're both minus your regular healer and are working off of a severe action economy deficit.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Oh blessed Tonberry, the most amazing exp sack.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
The thing that got me about the Brother Blitzball thing is Brother being on screen for the scoring animation and the ball coming from behind.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

cant cook creole bream posted:

Back when I defeated that guy, I cheated with savescumming for zanmatou. And most other ones I ground to dust with continuous attack wheels from Wakka.
So it's cool to see how to do it legitimately.

Fun fact, for some reason Gooba&'s second ultimate where he just attacks 6 times is apparently better than his final one, because you are more likely to get a max hit each time, so that one is actually stronger than a regular attack. Yeah, I don't know why that final one is like that either. Maybe it is different if all stats are maxed. I dunno.
Also, quick hits are a strict improvement over regular attacks.

I can confirm that's basically the case. The final ultimate is better at max stats, but due to hitting much weaker in most cases, the 2nd ultimate is better in the 'mid-post-game' so to speak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
The only overdrives worth anything at this point are Rikku's, Wakka's (though probably not in this case), and Tidus's. I guess Kimahri slapping down a Mighty Guard wouldn't be utterly bad either. It's all about the Quick Hit otherwise.