Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Cloacamazing! posted:

Seeing as Gooba& tried to get his father to stop drinking before and Jecht just said he didn't feel like it, I'd say the reaction he gave was pretty appropriate.

Look, what's the bigger wrong: repeatedly hurting your family with your actions to the point that they're begging you to stop or attacking an animal you've never seen before thinking it's the kind that attacks you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Akratic Method posted:

This is good advice, but I'm making it more painful by trying to get everyone a turn in every battle. You really have to start deliberately using the wrong people to do things sometimes, since enemies are mostly one-shotted by the correct character. Of course, based on where Dan and Grace are at, I think it's overleveling me (since AP isn't divided, just fixed per participant you basically double your take by using everyone) so I should probably just stop inflicting psychic damage on myself.

You are so doing it wrong.

All the extra actions should be spent cheer-ing for Auron.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

cant cook creole bream posted:

It's weird that among her family, except for her cousin, maybe, Rikku is the most well adjusted.

Her brother is a famous blitzball star that single handedly carries the Aurochs to victory. He's way better adjusted :colbert:

Incidentally, y'all got me to pull this one out of my backlog and play it for the first time and boy howdy does blitzball spiral out of control almost immediately. I've got multiple dudes that just wade through the enemy team and punt the ball past the goalie with minimal effort.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Fair point. Brother is basically twice as fast as everyone else. But I always liked the implied backstory, that their dad took one look at the new born baby and said "Hell no! We're absolutely not stopping with that one. I want a proper child." And then he gave him that very descriptive name, which didn't actually make sense before Rikku was around.

Rikku's dad is an rear end in a top hat.

Please, the man had just become a father. His response to seeing his son was clearly, "oh brother" and then he just rolled with the joke.

I really wish I could find an everyone offense ai setting, I'm trying to hand the ball to the opponents so they can shoot and thus let me actually learn shot techs, but my team refuses to do anything but hang out around me on defense and steals the ball back every time.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Butterfly chasing is great. Here, dodge these tiny sprites and pick up others. They all blend into the background and you'll have no depth perception, because sprites in a 3d environment viewed almost sideways.

Also we stuck one right next to a level transition, so if you run through the last butterfly on one of the maps it resets your chest.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I just has Yuna and lulu blast them with magic because I figured that was what the game was hinting with the initial protect on them.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I'd say they did a pretty good job of making steal useful, if only for all the stuff you can then use. There's a chunk of the game where she's your best healer, for instance. Hell, with mix up, she's always your best option for a pinch heal. And her items have fixed damage and are guaranteed to hit which let's them take out some enemies the rest of the party struggles with, like electro marble-ing the quactars in the thunder plains.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I would love to watch dan blitzball, but the game tool that away from us!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I'm fairly certain that the game is actually merciful with regards to the primers and spawns them someone else, if you miss them in a one time location.

Nope. There's a string of 4 or so in a row right here and if you miss them sucks to be you, try again next save

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

The best part of the cutscenes in that update is 100% absolutely the shameful silence where no one can say it to Gooba& followed by khimari literally pointing out that there was an awkward silence and that he was gonna let it now.

disposablewords posted:

It recontextualizes so much about how the party acts. Lulu's brusque and kind of a jerk, but she's also dealing with the same general loss everyone is, the personal loss of Chappu, and bracing herself for Yuna. Wakka's trying to apply a, "Laugh so you don't cry" attitude to everything, even the loss of Home just now, even when he completely sticks his foot in his mouth doing so. (He should still shut up forever now.) Kimahri is very... Kimahri, because even victory is going to be unspeakably sad for everyone involved, no wonder he doesn't want Gooba& along for the ride at first.

Thinking about it actually makes me dislike Seymour even more now, because here he is with his own fantastically powerful Aeon and he was doing... what, exactly, with it? Making a dramatic show of killing some fiends every once in a while but otherwise just using it to entrench himself more in worldly power. Using the idea of a show marriage to raise his own stock with the people, because that's what it'd really be about - not raising everyone's spirits, but making him more sympathetic with this starcrossed lovers poo poo after Yuna is conveniently dead.

That's not quite what he was going for, but we can get into that later.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Yeah, Brother is absolutely amazing in middle field. the easiest way to scort is to have him start with the ball, go a bit forward, pull the aggro of everyone, go a bit back, outswimming them in the process and then passing to the front. Usually this can actually get rid of every single opponent before shooting from an inch away.

Or just swimming past the other midfielder and firing a point blank shot before the other defenders can collapse on him. Of course, when he hits that level of stats, blitzball has a very short lifespan of still being interesting left in it.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Danaru posted:

Figured I can just ask here, is there a quick way to start a blitzball tournament after finishing one? like is it time based or can I game the system to play another tournament quickly?

I think you can just play an exhibition match or two. They seem to pop up again pretty fast, but it seems based on games played.

E: lol nope it's dumber than that. Just enter and leave the blitzball menu. You don't even have to play a game.

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 23:03 on May 23, 2022

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Hey, Jecht isn't technically dead.

Yet.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

DevNull posted:

I think Auron is supposed to be there to keep them on track with "their story" that he even says isn't his. He doesn't reveal things, because it isn't his place to. It was the job of the other guardians to tell Gooba& the fate that Yuna was facing. Just like it is the burden of Gooba& to tell them about Jecht/Sin. They need to discover these things on their journey, because it belongs to them.

Also, because he's a cryptic rear end in a top hat that will absolutely hide everything from everyone, even to the detriment of his own goals.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

And there you have why we killed Seymour without ever figuring out his deal.

We get to kill him again!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I like how the maester hears auron and immediately rethinks his target.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Goddamnit Dan, you could have just jump cut over this episode and spared us all this* trial!

*every

At least it ended with Auron's repeated quest to dunk on Kinoc every time he sees him.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Psycho Knight posted:

This whole scene is profoundly stupid on multiple levels. They throw the Blitzball players into a water duct and just expect them to give up and drown. They throw the summoner and combat capable members into a lovely maze and expect them to get killed by monsters. Then, immediately upon doing this, Mika turns around and goes "Right, maybe we should stick some guards by the exit in case they survive", thereby openly acknowledging how idiotic the idea is.

There are so many better ways to execute someone, like, I don't know, shooting them in the head while they are locked in the cells. Even if you want the whole religious symbolism shtick of the "Via Purifico" or whatever, then just go and seal the drat exits before you throw them in.

I also like how Kinoc quips about not trusting someone who killed his own father, but still tags along with Seymour despite knowing that the guy is far more powerful than he is (as far as we know, Kinoc is not a summoner himself).

You forgot the part where gooba& and auron are being held in a cage with bars so wide apart they could jump out with ease if auron felt like it and gooba& had a brain.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

GrandmaParty posted:

Every time Auron levels up and doesn't get to move on the sphere grid, an angel gets a vasectomy

But this is a JRPG. That means Dan should never level Auron ever again

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Kimarhi, the summoner and her guardian were, uh... wrestling. Yes.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

PepperedMoth posted:

Ah, the Calm Lands: home to the Absolute Worst Final Fantasy Minigame Ever.

I just love Maechen's little bishop hat. :3: (Wait! No! Put the weapons down! He's not an actual Yevonite religious leader!)

But we already passed the thunder plains?

I'm glad the main game isn't balanced around the celestial weapons, because oh God are most of them gated behind some atrocious mini games.

At least one of them is blitzball.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

disposablewords posted:

A thought: what kind of literal physical needs do unsent have, and what can destroy them other than sending? Like we've seen now that Mika and Seymour are pyrefly ghosts, do they need to eat, drink, or rest? Be held together by some other force? Or is a pyrefly ghost self-sustaining? Also, can an unsent be deliberately fashioned from the recently dead rather than solely coming together on its own?

hosed up as it may be, there's a certain twisted logic to the idea of creating a world populated by the unsent rather than the living, especially if they have a way to manufacture unsent. If the unsent can just reincorporate themselves after Sin passes by, then his visitations become a big inconvenience instead of the full-on disaster it is to those who still exist in the world. It'd be a nightmare world and an unspeakably monstrous act to actually create it, but the most efficient way would be to embody Sin as Seymour has said he intends on doing.

Well, there is that miiiild snafu where they turn into monsters over time. Although the amount of time seems to vary, see Seymour vs Mika.

pointlessone posted:

The least bad of them is Blitzball.

Blitzball is actually just good. I'm gonna be a blitzball when I grow up!

more seriously, it does have a bit of a flaw where the difficulty curve gets snapped over the players knee really fast. Which is a bit of an issue when the big reward for it takes a minimum of something like 40 games played.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I love how with the way the balls home and one getting instantly spawned on getting hit add together to make getting hit near the end much more painful than if you get hit early.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Blitzball

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

If I remember right I just filled out my summons overdrive gauges and had Yuna spam them. Sure he instantly gibs then after the overdrive, but it also takes his turn to do that so....it basically stun locked him while getting some big and free hits in.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I don't really get what they were going for with how they balanced slow. If you rush it, it's really valuable and can be combined with haste to no sell big enemies and deny them having a turn at all. But if you don't get it fast enough the game hits a point where everything is either immune or in some cases casts haste as a response in an extra gently caress you for trying to use this skill.

And slowga is far enough down the tree you can only sensibly get it after that shift unless you grind.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

pointlessone posted:

The thing is, it doesn't matter if she lied or not. Lulu was ready to go all in before they walked into that room, and the only reason the question was even asked was because Gooba& had been questioning everything from day one of the trip. Duty and honor and sacrifice for the greater good is so engrained into the very fabric of the culture that they almost certainly never ask. Why bother lying when they're still going to continue on the death spiral anyway?

Also Auron is right there and she knows he figured it all out last time

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I mean, the summoners and guardians already walk in knowing they're on a suicide mission to buy their loved ones some time. The only real change is that Fantasy Jesus' Ghost doesn't have a long term solution either. That doesn't really change the calculus for someone that hasn't been groomed by auron and a summoned spirit of sports ball into questioning the church's blatant lies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

That feeling when I look at the time left in the video and think the fight will be next episode.

And then Dan happens.