Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

disposablewords posted:

Let's see... Wakka... the other Aurochs who barely merit names... Wakka's dead brother...

Tidus also has to be interestingly dumb to her. He's almost a holy idiot, spouting off about visions of something significant to her own religious beliefs, but without any knowledge or context about what those "visions" should mean to a normal person. And he's not immediately offering her the deference that seems to be due a summoner, one less hurdle to getting a relationship (or fling) going. If you don't mind a dingus with roughly Lulu levels of fashion sense, hey, why not.

Not just deference due a summoner - everyone on Besaid treats Yuna in particular with extreme reverence. Somebody who doesn't must be a refreshing change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

I think that part of the costume design is an artifact of the character designs being intended for a much lower resolution. You have to make stuff like the window in Lulu's belt dress a lot bigger if you want it to show up at all under those conditions. Same with Dona - if you want to protray skimpy, you have to go extra skimpy to get the point across.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Just dropping that on Tidus, then basically lying to Yuna about it is one of the really strange storytelling bits in this game. It all makes sense in the end, but it is part of a trend where it seems like they cared more about MAXIMUM MYSTERY than anything else.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Well, that summon at the end was priceless.

You've missed out on a few upgrades for Khimari by not exploring enough (which, to be fair, is kind of necessary for an LP), but it doesn't matter because Khimari kind of sucks.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

As demonstrated here, poison in this game is obscenely deadly.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Psycho Knight posted:

To be fair, almost every status ailment in this game is obscenely deadly, with the exception of stuff like silence. This is one of the few games were statuses are a major concern instead of simply a mild nuisance. It's even worse when you take into account underwater battles, since you can't swap out any party members if they are hit with a status you can't immediately cure.
True, though poison in particular is usually absolutely worthless.

The chocobo feather on the ground indicates that you can jump on that ledge if you're riding a chocobo.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

No, that gives you a beefy Rod Of Wisdom.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

So, playing this on my own, there's a hidden cutscene that you missed (and which I've never encountered before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AnDW3qNKFk

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Maybe because it is because she joins properly so late and the developers were concerned you wouldn't "bond" with the character, but Rikku seems so much more expressive than everybody else in her movements and body language. Not just in the "young and excitable way", either - her body language at the Farplane and when she talks about the Thunder Plains at the end of the video just seems so much more. Which feels really odd when everybody else defaults to upright and stoic.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Akratic Method posted:

But yeah, shuffling people in and out to make sure every does at least one action is probably the most tedious part of leveling in this game. Especially when they're under-strength -- normal enemies are a lot harder in this game than most Final Fantasy games.

One way to soften this is to keep the character you're trying to boost off the field, and swap them in. Since you get an immediate turn, that makes it easier to get an action.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Really thought the update title was going to be about spider-Rikku.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

disposablewords posted:

Game. Game, please. We really didn't need this "hey, so sexy!" re-introduction of Rikku from a couple episodes ago followed so soon by her having a literal child's fear reaction to lightning including crawling around and clinging to an adult's leg. Please, please, infantilization is not actually hot.

Eh, I'm not sure infantilization is the correct word here. Her fear of lightning is not that of a child frightened by the loud noise, it is a deep phobic reaction brought about by serious trauma. A phobic reaction to something she is now completely and inescapably surrounded by. An extreme reaction to that is not particularly damning, especially in a land that never heard of therapy.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

You're also neglecting a lot of tools that would really make things easier. You sold off a lot of equipment with "SOS Nulshock", which makes you completely immune to lightning (in battle) below half HP. Yuna's NulX spells (which hit the entire party) will also negate one attack of a given element. The Chimera you keep fighting uses elemental attacks extensively.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps most obnoxiously of all, there pretty much is absolutely no point to doing so at this stage of the game. The item you get is useless until much later.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

cant cook creole bream posted:

Eh, technically you can get some of the lower prices which might have some use. Same goes for the lightning dodging.

Completing it now only gets you ||elixirs and megalixers||, which are of very limited use right now. Not really worth the aggravation at this point. There is no effect on prices.

There's value in some of the thunder dodging prizes, and great value in solving the mysterious stones, but chasing butterflies now is pointless.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

That boss is a pain in the rear end, and getting out of it with only a few KOs (and landing the overkill) is pretty good. If you're accustomed to relying entirely on magic for healing (and thus skimp on items), or you've dealt with every boss so far by just walking around with all your aeons at full overdrive so you can simply chain them, you'll have a really rough time.

I am so very glad you didn't get Rikku instead of Lulu for the cutscene.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

This fight is why I was pushing you to remember the nulX line of spells.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Yeah I'll admit that you made Khimarri really useful. Getting such an early use of steal is impressive. Honestly, the bug error was that you didn't farm those basilisks on djose street for these petrify grenades which are honestly just straight up broken, since they will oneshot most regular enemies.

If memory serves, even these assholes who protect Seymour can be stoned.

Not only can they be stoned, there's a merchant quite a while back tnat sells a stonetouch ball for Wakka. Makes that stage of the fight really quick.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

It is also the absolute worst-designed Cloister, as the video quite clearly demonstrates. I had to use a guide to figure it out.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Part of the problem is that Berserk is treated as a debuff instead of a buff, so you'd have to use Esuna on the boss to get rid of it. Which isn't immediately obvious.

Blind does work, but doesn't keep it from hitting like a truck if it does hit.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Psycho Knight posted:

I was always under the impression that it was 10 years, since that's how long ago Braska defeated it. I had to look this up in the Ultimania, and you're right; apparently Braska's calm never even lasted a year. He beat it and it was back a couple of months later. Also, Braska is apparently only the fourth person to even beat Sin. So in the 1,000 years or so since Sin first appeared, this whole summoner's pilgrimage thing has only accomplished anything 4 times. That is absolutely not worth this whole song and dance. It also makes Spira's summoners/guardians seem incredibly bad at their jobs.

Are you getting this direct from the guide? The various wiki summaries I can find have the sort of inconcsistincy thatnusually comes from several rounds of Telephone.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

I wasn't necesaarily calling it wrong. I just wanted to know if it was direct, because the English-language secondary sources I can access and read felt off.

We have hints in the parts of the game that have been played through to show how Sin can be livable. The Crusaders boast of drawing Sin away from settlements, and Yuna's conversation in Luca suggests that as long as your settlement stays small enough Sin usually leaves it alone.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

That does explain why there were so few statues in the temples, which always bugged me.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

One of the easiest ways to deal with the giant worms is Bio-Haste-Sleep. As long as you don't disturb the Sleep by attacking, and don't let it wear off, the thing will die very quickly.

The worms also showcase the big downside of Demi - a lot of the stuff worth using it on will have HP high enough to hit the damage cap, making it a lot less useful than it ought to be.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

The one picked up at the end of the video is a colossal dick move, because not only is it easy to not notice the door on the minimap, the game (as shown in the video) actively prevents you from going into it at first. It is very easy to think that there's no room there. I had to reload multiple times to find it.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

If you talk to Wakka immediately after the fireworks comment, he wonders why he said that.

I'm pretty sure it was supposed to be intended an understanding of how upset Rikku was, and an attempt to apologize for what an rear end he's been that fell incredibly flat because he didn't know what to say. But it was so insanely bad that it doesn't come off that way.

Edit: If you get Rikku as your motorcycle partner, she talks about summoners being sacrificed before a confident "the guardians will handle it" shuts the conversation down. Which makes the whole "I didn't know" breakdown much less convincing.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Evrae can be a really brutal fight.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Luck is a genuinely important stat, but is biggest in the late-game.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Even if you figure out that you need a sphere to power the platform, and somehow reason out that you're also going to need a sphere to power the track (and thus need to fill both slots before proceeding), you aren't going to expect that the Destruction Sphere (previously only used for optional treasure) is used for progress in this place. I still say Macalania is worse, but Bevelle ain't great.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

One thing that feels really off is that the whole Bevelle sequence makes the Bevelle use of Forbidden Machina Weapons out to be a big secret.

Except if you go back to the shoopuf sequence, there's a warror-monk standing guard. With a rifle in full display. Kind of makes it harder to buy that nobody knows they're flouting the taboo.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

"Aren't those weapoms forbidden by Yevon" was Auron's reaponse to a rifle shoved in somebody's face.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

PepperedMoth posted:

Ah, the Calm Lands: home to the Absolute Worst Final Fantasy Minigame Ever.

Having just done it, it isn't nearly as bad as it seems.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

The way I understand it, unsent aren't really people, just pesky pyreflies making a mockery of the bodies of the fallen by copying their appearance and mannerism.

It is pretty clear in-game that the unsent are still the actual people. It just takes an extreme effort of will to retain your personanity under those circumstances, and most who try it become fiends.

My take on Seymour is that his increasingly monstrous transformations are because he doesn't have the same willpower that unsent like Mika have, and he's already degrading.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Hyper Dodger is by far the worst, much more so than the one everybody complains about.

One of the tricks to these many games is that when the instructions show the D-pad for controls, they mean it. The analog stick will work, but majorly over-steers.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Akratic Method posted:

The between episodes performance is incredible! The in-episode performance is... well, pretty much what happens to everyone in fuckin Hyper Dodger. I actually hate the race less, just because the drat balls don't explode into more balls.

The race birds are also mostly dumbfire. You can win that just by developing an optimal route that avoids them.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Arguably, Yuna's the main protagonist character of this game even if she's not the viewpoint.

But the MC of FF games often isn't the hardest hitter mechanically. Here, his gimmick is supposed to be accuracy, not power - he offsets the Nimble status naturally, which is very hard to offset with raw stats.

Khimari is supposed to be the character who can do a little bit of everything, so him hitting between Gooba& and Auron in both accuracy and damage is pretty much what he's supposed to be. It really feels like the expert Sphere Grid does a much better job at letting Khimari actually do that.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

That boss is a genuine pain in the rear end.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Danaru posted:

Death touch barely ever worked and poison and silence are two for the price of one and it sounded cool

It genuinely isn't the worst notion if you don't have a good magic-booster for her. Something that might apply multiple useful status effects can be handy.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

I did find the "horn on head" plan for Yuna's statue funny. As FF summoners traditionally have horns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

The trick to killing Grenades easily is to use Mental Break. Once you do that an appropriately leveled Lulu can one-shot them.