Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I am gonna have a few words on a few notes that amuse me once we get to our first Blitzball game. I don't have a ton of experience in this game, but I played through it recently, and a lot of details are still pretty fresh in my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I just love that just about every line Jecht has is Elementary-school Bully levels of petty insults.

Flashbacks and dream sequences are fun!

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Neurion posted:

In case you were wondering what that Extract Ability skill does, it applies the "Distill Ability" status to an enemy, which will override that enemy's normal sphere drop and force it to drop an Ability Sphere. In the early game Ability Spheres aren't as common, so it helps when you need 'em. I think there's Extract skills for the other sphere types, too.

This is correct - these Extract abilities did not exist in the original version of the game, it was only in the International version & HD Remake.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
You did miss a Primer, but it's obtainable somewhere else later on.

Out of all the Al Behd Primers, four are permanently missable, but they're much later in the game.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
It's especially entertaining when they are hiding/running from their own guards more than anything to sneak out and mingle. The guards in a panic trying to find them while simultaneously trying not to freak out the public by letting on that guys, we can't find Their Highness, oh god

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I mean, at super-low levels, they have a pretty strong lineup. It's just... one of the other teams has a ridiculously overwhelming goalie.

For the record, "Seeded" in this context means that the Aurochs basically get a free pass for the first round. I don't think we ever actually see the bracket itself to see how many teams are playing, or who they all are? In the rest of the minigame you can access later, there are six teams, so I can only assume two teams get "seeded" directly into the semi-finals, while the remaining four duke it out to see who gets to face off against the two seeded teams. The Aurochs get seeded, so they get a free pass for the first round, and are automatically in the semi-finals.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Apr 25, 2022

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Keldulas posted:

I enjoyed Blitzball, though I'm not entirely certain why. I'm guessing a lot of it was the troll factor of firing the entire Aurochs team and bringing in random people off the street to play for you.

Combine this approach with the right picks, and you can completely and utterly demolish anything and everything in the low-levels of Blitzball play. Considering you can reset the player-levels of everyone in the league any time you want? Oh boy.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
To clarify, yes - if there is a skill to be learned, Lancet will always teach it to Kimahri. And, every time he learns a new ability for the first time, Kimhari's Overdrive meter is instantly filled, presumably so he can try it out.

As for the -Ara and -Aga thing, it USED to use that naming convention. There was even a little in-game easter egg in Heavensward mocking it and saying a number system would be a lot easier. Then later they did just that.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 26, 2022

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Fun fact about that Al Behd match - Their goalie, Nimrook, has the best Catch score (the Goalie stat) in the game, start to finish. To the point where it is actually numerically impossible for any of the original Besaid Aurochs to score a goal on him, except for Wakka himself, and even then, Nimrook has to really flub it.

So basically Wakka either went Super Saiyan, or they got really, really lucky.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Nidoking posted:

4) When a good player (like Nimrook) is nearing the end of their contract, play that team and dunk on them as hard as you can. Make them look bad so they'll get fired, and then snap them up. There are some excellent free agents out there, but I found very few of the Aurochs to be very strong players in the later games. (Keepa, I'm told, is a monster on offense at very high levels. You'll probably never actually see that, but it's worth keeping in mind.)

This is a good one to keep in mind. As said, there are good free agents, but Nimrook, as I mentioned in my previous post, is bar none the strongest Keeper in the game due to his phenomenal Catch stat. But when I played, I just got a solid roster of free agents that are good at low levels, and proceeded to stomp all over everyone and everything in my way, occasionally resetting levels just because I felt like it. I'm talking ending games at 11-0, while screwing around for most of the second half.

Also yeah, it takes until like... level 90+ (keeping in mind Blitzball player levels go up to 99), but eventually Keepa's Shoot score suddenly skyrockets from next to nothing in the last few levels, all the way up to 99, the highest in the game. Kinda weird. But I suppose at least one of the Original Aurochs other than Wakka has to end up not-terrible at something.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Further note about Auron - You may note that all of his weapons have the "Piercing" ability on them. That's what lets him ignore armor and deal mega damage to things that Tidus merely tickles.

The mildly interesting note is that most of Kimahri's weapons do the same thing - but of course, Kimahri doesn't do nearly as much damage as Auron. Auron hits like a freight train that's throwing a planet at you - but he's slow, and can't hit a drat thing that's any kind of nimble.

At this point, you've got all your party members, so let's just go over this: By this point, the game has hammered home that basically, most random enemies fall into a category that one specific member of your party kinda hard-counters.

Tidus is an all-rounder, and counters small, nimble ground-based enemies like Wolves. Tidus hits harder than Wakka (who will usually take multiple attacks to kill things Tidus may oneshot), but is more accurate than Auron or Kihamri.
Wakka is lower damage, but sorta in-line with his high Shoot score in Blitzball, is incredibly accurate, and counters airborne enemies - they're the most evasive around, to the point where even Tidus has trouble hitting them.
Lulu counters enemies with an elemental weakness, obviously. Enemies that are intended for Lulu often have physical damage resistance that isn't countered by Auron or Kimahri.
Yuna is your White Mage, but also your Summoner, and thus she can summon an Aeon to go toe-to-toe with bigger single enemies like the giant fuckoff bird thing, or other Large Single Enemies later on.
Auron obliterates the hell out of physical enemies with Heavy Armor. However, he's rather inaccurate, and basically got very lucky with how many dogs he murdered in this latest video, as he usually can't hit them for crap, much less the flying enemies.
Kimahri... can do many things. The way the Normal Sphere Grid works, you can take him into basically anyone's sphere grid you want, but he ends up being a lesser version of whoever's Sphere Grid you take him into. He's basically only good for his Blue Mage abilities. However, he does share Auron's ability to pierce heavy armor, but he doesn't do as much raw damage. I'm not familiar with the Expert Sphere grid though, so I don't know how different it is, but it feels like it's roughly the same thing, just laid out slightly differently.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Apr 29, 2022

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Nah nah, that's on me, I legit forgot about her while typing that up.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

RudeCat posted:

I always felt bad about changing the team up so I never recruited anyone. Wanted to take the original team all the way to the championship, ya?

There's actually an incentive in late-game outside of Blitzball to have all the original Aurochs on the roster, but I'll leave that for later, and see if the guys discuss it in a video at some point. I tried to do it for a time, but unfortunately, most of the original Aurochs are just bad, rather than being Magikarp-Power examples. They start bad, they stay bad. Keeping the whole team together is just pain. Sad to say it, but there's a reason they've never won a game before.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Fun fact: If you knock the Chocobo off the cliff, you also get a Lv. 1 Key Sphere, apparently. But in that case, you cannot get potential extra AP from Overkill damage... not that that happened here. But yeah, I think I killed it outright my first time, too. It just kept pushing back before I could push it further toward the cliff. I would push, it would push back.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I can't help but feel that Yuna's getting very neglected in-battle. On the rare occasion she gets brought in, the only thing she gets to do is attempt to smack something for no damage. Why not do some in-combat healing? It's enough to get her AP from the battle (so she actually makes progress toward better spells), cuts down on item use, and reduces chances of people getting instagibbed due to being low on health when something nasty appears.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 00:49 on May 3, 2022

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Danaru posted:

Yuna gets a lot more use later on, I sorta underestimated how powerful her heals were. Boy howdy do we get a lot of use out of Esuna later on :cripes:

Come to think of it, how far ahead do you guys have pre-recorded, out of curiosity?

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

wtf kimhari, i know, kimhari, but still

Kimahri's whole gimmick aside from Lancet has always been that he doesn't have his own section of the Sphere Grid - he simply starts in the middle where he can go onto nearly anyone else's grid, and end up a lesser version of them.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Fun fact: Seymour may not have his Summon for this battle, but he does have his own unique Overdrive, and holy poo poo does it smash.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I'm an episode late saying this about that Blitzball game, but in case it wasn't obvious, the Ronso team has something of a theme among its players; they all have insanely high HP and Endurance. However, their swimming speed is very slow - and yes, swim speed is one of the stats that varies from player to player. Some players swim faster than others, allowing them to easily catch up to someone with the ball, or escape pursuers while holding it so they can pass or shoot without being intercepted.

Also, for those who don't remember, the Keeper's catch stat is randomized between 50% and 150% of the displayed stat when it comes to how much they actually subtract from the Shot when they defend. That Ronso Keeper really flubbed the defense against that not-Jecht shot. Skill took his Catch score up to 19... only for him to severely low-ball his defense. Also a reminder - you need to actually hit a button prompt when TechCopy is on-screen in order to learn the technique. It's not a passive, automatic thing. That's why no one learned anything.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
If nothing else, I feel like there was a missed opportunity to have Gooba& express some mild respect for the fact that the guy literally quit drinking on the spot after recognizing that he screwed up that bad. And stuck to it.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I mean, there's also the fact that attacking said animal had immediate negative consequences for his friends; namely in that they handed over all the money they had in order to make up for Jecht's drunken blunder.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
For the record, enemies listed as "Very Nimble" are the ones Gooba& is meant to counter; he's accurate enough to hit them, and hits hard enough to generally one-shot them.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Danaru posted:

Gooba& has whiffed them nearly constantly are you sure

For the record, "Very Nimble" and "Flier" enemies are very much distinct. "Very Nimble" are the agile lizards, the wolves, stuff like that.

Pretty sure Gooba& hasn't missed them once... he just almost never gets to actually swing at them.

(also it kinda bothers me that Auron is on Gooba&'s sphere grid instead of his own, but that's more OCD than anything else)

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 21:25 on May 15, 2022

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I would just like to say that Shooting Star can, in fact, get better.

Use it on something large. Like, say, the Giant Worms in the desert you'll come to eventually.

(they're a random encounter, no spoilers here)

Also, you are officially wanted criminals, basically. No bli-baww for you for a while.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 21:09 on May 19, 2022

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Fun fact, that Al Bhed Primer (vol. 3) is the one that you missed back on the ship from Besaid to Kilika. This is where it turns back up if you missed it then, since that's the only time you ride that particular ship.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Yeah, the three in Home, and one in Bevelle are permanently missable; if you don't get them here, you've missed them for good. Any other "missable" ones get dumped in the desert for you to find later, but now we're past the desert.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
For the record, now we know why those particular Al Bhed Primers are permanently missable.

If you don't grab them, they get blown the gently caress up.

(also, Gooba&, Wakka and Brother make a pretty goddamn decent team of Forwards; put Brother in center, and have Wakka and Gooba& shoot like crazy. That's not to say Wakka's one of the best forwards, far from it. He's very weak defensively, with low block and attack. Like Gooba&, Wakka's good for one thing; get the ball to him, and put it in the goal. He's got decent endurance to breakthrough defenders, and he's got a solid Shooting score, plus Venom Shot to boost it up a bit further. Wakka's the only member of the original Aurochs that is numerically capable of scoring on the Al Bhed Psyches' terrifying goalie (Nimrook literally has the best Goalie "Catch" stat in the game). Brother, meanwhile, has frankly terrifying offensive stats all around; he's great as passing and shooting, he's great at blocking enemy shots or passes if he doesn't get broken through (his attack stat isn't fantastic, though still better than Wakka and Gooba&'s). He's also one of the fastest swimmers in Spira, which is always helpful.

Wakka's a solid player, but Brother is one of those No-Brainer recruits for when you're looking to assemble an all-star team.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 22:26 on May 23, 2022

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
On the note of Auron and your quest for a Fortune Sphere... did you guys ever take a Chocobo back to the Mi'ihen Highroad? Because there's one there only accessible by Chocobo and I forget if you got that one.

With any luck, this tidbit will finally free Auron and allow him to become the GOD he is waiting to become by spending all those sphere levels all at once.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

FoolyCharged posted:

But we already passed the thunder plains?

I'm glad the main game isn't balanced around the celestial weapons, because oh God are most of them gated behind some atrocious mini games.

At least one of them is blitzball.

Thunder Plains is just tedious. It's not the actively worst.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
The triumphant return of BLIBAWWWWWW

(but yes, the plight of Auron pains me eternally, and my hatred burns everlasting, I live for the day when Auron finally gets to move)

And yes, you have seen the power... and limitations of Brother. He could be great on Defense, but his mediocre attack score means that would-be shooters on the enemy team tend to just break through him and not deal with his monstrous block score. He's better off in the Midfield replacing Letty (even if Letty is one of the better default Aurochs) due to his incredibly swim speed and the fact that both of his offensive scores are just as sky-high as his block.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jun 1, 2022

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
>Dan gets told that Auron is supposed to have Armor Break which the boss isn't immune to
>looks at Auron on Gooba&'s sphere grid instead of his own
>looks at Auron with 30 unspent sphere levels
>awkward silence from Dan

IT IS A GOOD PAIN, BECAUSE DAN IS SUFFERING FOR HIS SINS

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Danaru posted:

Death touch barely ever worked and poison and silence are two for the price of one and it sounded cool

To be fair, *any* "touch" effect on Lulu's weapons are almost never going to be meaningful because it requires her to use her regular attack which

a) means the Black Mage is not using magic
b) Is almost never going to hit because she's less accurate than even Auron
c) even when she does hit, "touch" effects are only a "sometimes" thing. What you really wanna look out for are status-strike weapons (status-strike is nearly every hit, as opposed to status-touch which is only occasional), though I don't think you can find any yet at this point in the game.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I hate everything. You finally did a good thing and then erased all of it.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I don't believe Poison does anything to Goalies, no. However, I think Venom Shot costs the least HP out of all the "shot" techniques. Plus you can use it to potentially learn any anti-venom techniques the opponents might have?

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
...I'm just going to say that FF14 has forever ruined Yojimbo for me, by the way...

And I choose not to elaborate as to why :saddowns:

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Small note about Wakka's Attack Reels - in case it was hard to tell, if you match all three reels, the number of attacks performed is doubled. So, if you get three x1 reels, you get 6 attacks instead of 3, and three x2 reels gets 12 attacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I will also point out, Kimahri's basic attack damage did get a ginormous boost in this fight due to that Talk increasing his strength. His strength goes up by 10 for the duration of the fight after that talk... and every point of strength makes a very visible difference in this game. Getting one of the 4 Strength Spheres on the grid is typically a huge boost to a character's damage. Kimahri got two and a half of those just for screaming "gently caress YOU" at Seymour.

But yeah, I would argue that while you really effectively neutered the worst of Seymour's stuff with all the Silence spam, I would argue against calling it cheese. Cheese tends to refer to some underhanded loophole workaround that strips all the difficulty out of something.

While silence-spam certainly fits most of that description, I wouldn't call it underhanded or unintended. If the devs hadn't wanted you to be able to Silence him out of all those spells, they would have slapped Silence onto his mile-long list of immunities. So as far as I'm concerned, they want you to silence him.

Also, a thought... if you hadn't silenced him... could you dispel his Reflect once he casts it, and get him to Flare himself?