Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

Danaru posted:

:siren:New Episode!:siren:

Let's Play Final Fantasy X Episode 2 - That Doesn't Sound Very Dope At All

I sincerely love the sphere grid and I wish every game had one

I like it for how effectively it deceives you. The way it's laid out makes you feel like you have way more choice than you actually do. It's not until late game that you can really start playing with it.

The expert grid fixes that, so I think you made the right choice in Ep. 1. Well, as long as you want some actual control over character building anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

PepperedMoth posted:

Dona's outfit makes her a solid contender in the the Worst Character Design in FFX competition. Seriously, what the actual hell. Is that, what, a reverse loincloth!?

Personally, I wouldn't put any bets on her in such a competition. There are so many terrible character designs in this game. Half-chaps are tame in comparison.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

BlazetheInferno posted:

For the record, "Seeded" in this context means that the Aurochs basically get a free pass for the first round. I don't think we ever actually see the bracket itself to see how many teams are playing, or who they all are? In the rest of the minigame you can access later, there are six teams, so I can only assume two teams get "seeded" directly into the semi-finals, while the remaining four duke it out to see who gets to face off against the two seeded teams. The Aurochs get seeded, so they get a free pass for the first round, and are automatically in the semi-finals.

It's this.

According to the Ultimania for X, there were plans for 8 Blitzball teams. Bevelle had one and there was also a Crusaders one. This would have made for a simple bracket.

The final version of FFX only has 6 teams, though. Since it's an elimination tournament, that means that two teams have to be given a free pass on the first round in order to keep the bracket even.

As for Blitzball itself, I played far too much of it when I was a teen. It's a minigame that I wish was given a little more depth. As it stands, though, it's mostly a boring mess due to poor and easily exploitable AI.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Solitair posted:

For those curious, here's the expert sphere grid divided according to the abilities everyone had on the old grid:

It's a good example of how, despite the sphere looking very open-ended and flexible, it's really just a series of straight paths with only a handful of deviations.

For comparison, here's how the standard sphere grid actually looks: (credit: Chad Birch)

Here's the link to the super big version where you can see all the individual nodes. Warning that this version is like 14k x 4k pixels and 700kb.

Gnoman posted:

As demonstrated here, poison in this game is obscenely deadly.

To be fair, almost every status ailment in this game is obscenely deadly, with the exception of stuff like silence. This is one of the few games were statuses are a major concern instead of simply a mild nuisance. It's even worse when you take into account underwater battles, since you can't swap out any party members if they are hit with a status you can't immediately cure.

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 16:50 on May 2, 2022

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

PepperedMoth posted:

The supposed resemblance between Chappu and Gooba& is presumably mostly the product of Wakka's grief. The guy saw a blitzball-playing stranger of more-or-less the right age wash up onto the beach and decided to do some projecting. (Though I guess their faces might look sort of a little similar?)

To be fair, Chappu does not benefit from the "Main Character" model treatment.

Also, Gooba&'s appearance varies depending on what plane of existence he happens to be in at the moment (in-game model, important in-game cutscene model, cg cutscene model, PS2 models of all the previously mentioned models, HD re-release models of the previously mentioned models, beta version Gooba& with special edition dark hair that looks more like Chappu's).

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 16:32 on May 11, 2022

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

SoundwaveAU posted:

The Cloister of Trials right after a really important story boss fight leading to the murder of one of the major religious leaders of the world really kills the pacing. This is my favourite game ever but that's just BAD. They just had to force the Cloister of Trials in there even when it didn't fit what was going on.

Now imagine being like 8 years old and being stuck there unable to progress the story :D

Listen, the developers were super excited about their big event where Seymour drops all pretenses and reveals himself to be totally evil before getting his poo poo pushed in by a rookie summoner, the world's tiniest Ronso, a failed guardian, the leader of history's worst Blitzball team, an Al Bhed teenager that you can incapacitate by shaking a piece of sheet metal, a sportsball player whose first time holding a sword was about a month ago, and a single legendary badass who isn't particularly invested in anything going on.

You can't possibly expect them to delay a moment like that by making you do the cloister of trials in advance.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Danaru posted:

I remember hating Bevelle's the worst, but man this is a close second

Bevelle's is the worst by far. You want to talk about the absolute death of pacing? Bevelle is a crash course on it.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

You can also just use Auron to Threaten and Power Break him.

He hits like a truck, but there are quite a few ways to neuter him.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

The glare is one of my favourite moments. I considered making it my avatar on this site for a while, before we were graced with the Pokemon Reborn LP.

Danaru posted:

It's honestly shocking how often the giant flying hell whale manages to sneak up on us. It's honestly kinda shameful.

The stupid thing only appears every ten years, largely seems to stick to the ocean, and it's worldwide news when it gets killed. You would really think that people would have the preparations for this poo poo worked out by now, including not building villages/cities right on the waterfront where you would be at the highest risk.

Like, "Alright everyone, Sin is back again. Might want to consider packing up and taking a trip up to the cabin for a few weeks. Maybe put a lookout or two on watch duty for an approaching skyscraper sized whale."

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 01:11 on May 21, 2022

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

cant cook creole bream posted:

Sin doesn't appear every ten years. It's always around unless someone kills it to produce a year of pause. Honestly, a year of calm hardly seems worth the effort of all these temples and statues.

I was always under the impression that it was 10 years, since that's how long ago Braska defeated it. I had to look this up in the Ultimania, and you're right; apparently Braska's calm never even lasted a year. He beat it and it was back a couple of months later. Also, Braska is apparently only the fourth person to even beat Sin. So in the 1,000 years or so since Sin first appeared, this whole summoner's pilgrimage thing has only accomplished anything 4 times. That is absolutely not worth this whole song and dance. It also makes Spira's summoners/guardians seem incredibly bad at their jobs.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Gnoman posted:

Are you getting this direct from the guide? The various wiki summaries I can find have the sort of inconcsistincy thatnusually comes from several rounds of Telephone.

Yeah, this is from the FFX Ultimania Omega. Despite having it, I've never really read it, because I only started learning Japanese like two and a half years ago.

(Note: This is not a scan from my copy)

The relevant Japanese is the second bullet point next to the 9 you see on the left side, it reads: (ジェクト)を核とする6代目『シン』が、人々の前に出現

Part of this is a little bit spoilerly, so I'll omit part of it: "The 6th Generation of Sin, created from (Jecht), appears in front of people."

This is from the Spira Timeline section. 10 Years ago was Braska beating it, then 9 years ago it showed itself again. Before that, the last time Sin was defeated was like 230 years back.

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 16:41 on May 21, 2022

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Danaru posted:

Let's Play Final Fantasy X Episode 37 - Yuna's Hyperactive Twink Is Here

I definitely remember the grinding scene being used heavily in the trailers and commercials, and I mean rightfully so this poo poo loving whips

Square has always had a knack for beautiful/awesome cutscenes. It's one of the few things they consistently seem to get right.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

SoundwaveAU posted:

I like how Kimahri is carrying Lulu down because they didn't even wanna try and animate Lulu's dress going down those ziplines

Fun fact: Lulu is designed that way because Nomura is a giant troll who wanted to see if the graphics team could animate her properly in every scene despite her insane belt dress. The graphics team responded by just not showing her below the waist (or in some cases, such as in Luca, at all) very often. Hell, even though she is being carried in that cutscene, you can see that the team didn't even bother to make her dress so much as ruffle in the wind. They were in complete "screw you" mode with Nomura.

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 16:20 on May 25, 2022

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

That's how organized religion works. The people at the top dictate the interpretation of doctrine and can justify just about anything using the right troll logic.

A big tenant of Christianity is not killing people and respecting the sanctity of life, and yet Pope Urban had no trouble ordering the First Crusade (which had popular support among people).

It was either Lulu or Wakka that mentioned it earlier in the game, "Bevelle decides what machina we can and cannot use." It’s trivial for them to say "These weapons are okay to use because we need to defend the Holy City of Bevelle and the meisters."

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

disposablewords posted:

You use the hierarchy to filter for people who will accept (or can be conditioned to accept) the hypocrisy, yes, but Summoners don't seem to automatically be part of the hierarchy. Like, Yuna's respected but doesn't seem to have formal authority. Seems like a recipe for trouble when you let a popular, self-sacrificing true believer in on the secret without the full filtering system of the church hierarchy.

The beauty of this system is that the summoners don't need to be part of the hierarchy, because they are agents of it whether they like it or not. If a summoner learns the truth, what are they going to do with that information? Tell people? They'll immediately be labeled a heretic. Alternatively, the people will look at them as a fallen summoner who is upset at not completing the pilgrimage and is trying to lash out at Bevelle for their own personal failures. Additionally, a summoner that turns against Bevelle no longer has access to the temples, so their entire life's goal gets shut down.

That's the thing about this whole scheme. No matter how popular or how much of a hero a summoner becomes, there is a hard limit on the clout they can accumulate. That limit is Sin. Yuna may be the daughter of a High Summoner and a celebrity among the people, but until she manages to actually defeat Sin, she's not inherently different from any other summoner out there. It's also not exactly difficult to completely discredit her considering she hired Gooba& as one of her guardians, a guy who has been running around (allegedly) high on Sin toxin and claiming to be from Zanarkand while making GBS threads over every aspect of Yevon he comes into contact with. Not to mention the Al Bhed girl she also hired as a guardian, who was actively participating in a campaign of summoner kidnappings and forced confinement.

Broken Box posted:

do they ever explain how bevelle of all places hasn't been destroyed by sin?

Supposedly the Crusaders always lure Sin away from the city whenever it approaches. I guess the idea is similar to Operation Mi'hen in that they use captured Sinspawn to lure it. Of course, that raises a bunch of plot hole questions like "How are they always able to find Sin when it is approaching Bevelle but not when it rolls up on any other place?" and "Why can they lure it away from Bevelle but not from anywhere else?"

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 13:54 on May 27, 2022

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Danaru posted:

This "execution" is probably more effective when you can't summon a giant dog that kills everything

This whole scene is profoundly stupid on multiple levels. They throw the Blitzball players into a water duct and just expect them to give up and drown. They throw the summoner and combat capable members into a lovely maze and expect them to get killed by monsters. Then, immediately upon doing this, Mika turns around and goes "Right, maybe we should stick some guards by the exit in case they survive", thereby openly acknowledging how idiotic the idea is.

There are so many better ways to execute someone, like, I don't know, shooting them in the head while they are locked in the cells. Even if you want the whole religious symbolism shtick of the "Via Purifico" or whatever, then just go and seal the drat exits before you throw them in.

I also like how Kinoc quips about not trusting someone who killed his own father, but still tags along with Seymour despite knowing that the guy is far more powerful than he is (as far as we know, Kinoc is not a summoner himself).

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 15:43 on May 27, 2022

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Danaru posted:

Unfortunately Kelk is a massive libertarian and sees changing anything as "Big Yevon trying to control peoples' lives" and yes Kelk thats literally what we're trying to do why the hell did we make you a Maester

Kelk was clearly the diversity hire.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

And that's one of the reasons why status effects are so drat brutal in this game. Stone is just an instant party member KO when underwater, which sucks because you only have 3 possible party members to use underwater.

That whole boss fight is kind of baffling to include at all, to be honest. I can only assume the reason for including it is to throw an EXP bump Gooba&/Wakka/Riku's way before another boss. It's different from bosses like Gi Nattak in FFVII, where you can cheese it if you happen to remember the healing weakness. FFX just gives you a big banner that reads "Use healing poo poo on it!", so there is basically no excuse to go through the weirdly elaborate gate mechanism/swimming part of the fight other than curiosity. I think the game even punishes you for doing it that way, since I think you miss out on some treasure chests.

FoolyCharged posted:

You forgot the part where gooba& and auron are being held in a cage with bars so wide apart they could jump out with ease if auron felt like it and gooba& had a brain.

I most certainly did forget that part. I remember the cages hanging over pits, but I'm pretty sure they are positioned right next to the bridge anyway, so people could easily just slip out and hop to safety if they thought to.

Procrastine posted:

According to Final Fantasy X Ultimania Omega, both Jyscal, the leader of the Guado, and Kelk, leader of the Ronso, became maesters of Yevon as part of Grand Maester Yo Mika's "sub-races appeasement policy."

LOL, that is incredible. "Fiiine, I guess we can hire a Ronso and a Guado, if it will shut the savages up."

Broken Box posted:

Fair enough but I'm curious if there's more to it, that was definitely the reason given for Luca but Bevelle has more going on under the hood. And they got all the Crusaders intentionally murked so if they were relying on them to distract Sin to not get the world's last major population center genocided that was the most galaxy brain decision ever.

I could try and dig up something about it from the Ultimania, but I would assume that it won't clarify how luring Sin away is supposed to work after the Crusaders all get killed and cast out. The luring explanation is the only one I remember reading about anywhere, though, so Bevelle and Luca still presumably have a way to do it without the Crusaders specific involvement. As corrupt as the whole world religion is, I don't think it's suggested that they have any secret control over Sin's actions. They have to deal with the giant doom whale like anyone else.

It is possible that Evrae is capable of redirecting Sin, but I sort of doubt it. As big and strong as Evrae is, it's still a gnat compared to Sin.

The only other theory I can think of is that it's possible that Sin avoids directly attacking temples because the Fayth are there. This theory is supported by backstory stuff later on but which is currently spoiler territory. Of course, that still wouldn't explain Luca.

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 15:20 on May 28, 2022

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Bad Breath is so loving brutal in this game. Confusion, Darkness, Silence, and Poison across the entire party. You got real lucky in that encounter that Kimarhi avoided confusion so that you could get Gooba& in for Flee.

NikkolasKing posted:

I never really thought of it to this extent; Sin's power is just so overwhelming that nothing can really stand up to it anyway. But I like your idea.

Yeah, I don't know if I'd give Seymour that much credit. It's clear at the current point in the game that no power can stand up to Sin except for the Final Aeon. If Seymour thinks he can control Sin once he becomes it, then there's really no reason for him to bother taking the Crusaders out. If he figures he can control Sin, then he's obviously not going to fall for the luring tactics that have been used so far.

Personally, my theory is more that Seymour encouraged Operation Mi'hen because it let him see for himself just how powerful/resilient Sin really is.

The Thread posted:

Pyrefly talk

All of the talk about how pyreflies work and dead people in Spira just being able to nope their way out of death if they really really want to reminds me about how much more stupid this concept becomes in FFX's expanded universe lore.

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

you don't have to be euphemistic. Kimhari knows. Kimhari fucks

While I no doubt believe that Kimhari knows, I doubt that he fucks. He's the tiny hornless Ronso that's been living on Besaid as Yuna's protector for the last ten years. No way Kimhari has been tapping any Ronso rear end, and his non-Ronso options are real limited on that backwater island.

Now come FFX-2? That's a different story. X-2 Kimhari has definitely gotten some action at that point.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Danaru posted:

I've experienced the rest through LPs and stuff, but as a kid I never managed to beat Seymour Flux so everything after that I've never personally played myself.

I can't wait :geno:

Many summoners players are bested by the harsh journey through Mt. Gagazet.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Danaru posted:

Let's Play Final Fantasy X Episode 49 - Do You? Should You?

Turns out this fight is a lot easier when you actually use Kimahri :v:

Even the game designers knew that nobody would actually use Kimahri, so Biran and Yenke's stats are adjusted based on his. It's possible to win this fight even if you haven't touched Kimahri before.

That said, there are so many good things to get from this battle. You can steal Key Spheres, and I think there are 5 or 6 different Ronso Rage abilities to copy. So it definitely helps to have Kimahri's survivability built up (and to have him learn Steal in advance).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

FoolyCharged posted:

If I remember right I just filled out my summons overdrive gauges and had Yuna spam them. Sure he instantly gibs then after the overdrive, but it also takes his turn to do that so....it basically stun locked him while getting some big and free hits in.

This is how you cheese most main story bosses in this game (assuming you have Yuna available for them). It takes a while to set up, but if you find yourself stuck then it's a viable method.