Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Tidus' total obliviousness is downright charming and an extremely good excuse to dump lore on the players. I also love how the characters get more and more baffled as they have to continually explain these simple concepts. Transitioning from "Yeah no problem man that toxin is nasty stuff, I can explain." to "Jesus christ COME ON dude."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Nidoking posted:

As it happens, you can skip a character's turn. Should be the Triangle button to defend.

Characters have to take some action in a fight to get AP from it. It doesn't have to be a particularly meaningful action - they can defend, or use an item, or swing and miss. Speaking of which, at least some characters have unique and amusing animations for attacking themselves. Probably not worth doing it just to see, since Confusion exists, but keep an eye out for them.

Triangle works fine most of the time, but the quickest way to skip a turn is to swap weapon (you can swap to the weapon you're already using). Has a much shorter cooldown on your turn than defending.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Blitzball rules. The GOAT minigame.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Gnoman posted:

So, playing this on my own, there's a hidden cutscene that you missed (and which I've never encountered before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AnDW3qNKFk

This game is absolutely chockers with easily missed cutscenes.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

cant cook creole bream posted:

It's weird that among her family, except for her cousin, maybe, Rikku is the most well adjusted.

Edit: Ignore me, made a joke about X-2 Brother but I am dumb and can't read.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

The Cloister of Trials right after a really important story boss fight leading to the murder of one of the major religious leaders of the world really kills the pacing. This is my favourite game ever but that's just BAD. They just had to force the Cloister of Trials in there even when it didn't fit what was going on.

Now imagine being like 8 years old and being stuck there unable to progress the story :D

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

HAHA I never noticed O'aka took the save sphere, that's amazing.

I worry for you guys, there's a difficulty spike soon (though depending on who you ask some people say Seymour was the difficulty spike).

SoundwaveAU fucked around with this message at 19:00 on May 19, 2022

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Cool detail that some people miss, the little city the party is standing in in this episode is the same city on top of Sin. So the party fell and landed on Sin's head.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

This whole section of the game is so fantastic. Love the cutscenes here. The part where the Al Bhed sing the hymn is really beautiful, and then it's followed up by that dope-rear end FMV.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

I like how Kimahri is carrying Lulu down because they didn't even wanna try and animate Lulu's dress going down those ziplines

EDIT: Also, Kimahri's Thrust Kick is bugged and doesn't eject people :(

SoundwaveAU fucked around with this message at 15:59 on May 25, 2022

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

cant cook creole bream posted:

Huh? Is that something which was fixed in the international version, or first appeared in the rerelease? Never had a problem with that one.

Affects all versions apparently, you can see people discussing it on Neoseeker and stuff 14 years ago.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Psycho Knight posted:

Kelk was clearly the diversity hire.

I think that is genuinely part of the lore, which is why he's not kept in the loop and the others make fun of him.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

I genuinely thought Auron killed Isaaru with the fade to black here so I remember being surprised to see him in X-2.

The place you end the episode is the best grinding spot in the game (apart from extreme late game) so I always spend a healthy amount of time there.

SoundwaveAU fucked around with this message at 15:34 on May 28, 2022

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Not only did they have sex, they had every kind of sex. And Kimahri watched the whole time.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Next time, probably: The best/worst line read in the game

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

You've fallen for one of the classic blunders!

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Great ending to the episode.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

WithYunabymyside

Also this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZUT77L_fgI

If you hack the game so Kimahri has max stats then Biran and Yenke have a few million HP each so you're in for a fairly long fight, fortunately Doom kills them in 20 turns or so.

SoundwaveAU fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jun 6, 2022

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

I've seen that pre-boss cutscene more times than any other cutscene in any game. This boss is infamous for its difficulty and I have been on the receiving end of a good thrashing from it many times. Nowadays I know all the tricks to make it a cakewalk but man does Seymour Flux put out some damage. You've already discovered that he's weak to poison, which was absolutely loving mindblowing to me when I found that out. Like come on, all bosses are immune to status effects, why would you even try? But he's vulnerable to silence too which stops him from doing some things too.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

As you can see, poison and silence are the key here, and good job with the Mighty Guard, Shell reduces Total Annihilation's damage by half, making it survivable for your underlevelled/weirdly levelled party.

Poison did like 80% of the DPS in this fight for you. Sometimes I wreck this fight and I'm like "Was it ever really hard at all?" but no, watching this I'm reminded that if you don't know all the tricks, if you don't know to poison it you have to turn out a pretty crazy amount of damage, especially when he gets to lower health and starts spamming Total Annihilation. The silence lets you outright skip a lot of the fight's nastier mechanics too.

And by the way, Kimahri being your team's ace rules. He has been disrespected for too long. Love the crit Kimahri got to overkill Flux and really emphasise that point.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

The Dark Aeons ruled and I won't hear any argument. All those American plebs were super jealous of us. Hah, you mean your final boss is Nemesis? Little itty baby boy who fights you when you're good and ready and doesn't randomly destroy you when you enter a new zone and cause you to lose a couple of hours of progress?

I actually loved getting wrecked by the Dark Aeons the gently caress out of nowhere, made them real menacing. And then having to hunt around for them. Dark Anima was the only one I never found on my own and had to look up. And Penance, man, he was an almost mythical figure. Had no idea what he even looked like so it was entirely left up to my imagination. It wasn't until YouTube in 2006 that I even found out what he looked like (because the only strategy I had was Zanmato and Dark Yojimbo having to be fought 5 times kind of...shits on that strategy).

I feel like people really overstate how bad missing stuff screws you over. Like sure, it sucks missing out on Tidus or Yuna's ultimate weapon, but you can still get plenty of them that aren't locked behind superbosses. The only reason you would want the Celestial Weapons to begin with is to do postgame stuff, and if you're doing postgame stuff you're going to beat all the Dark Aeons eventually, and that can be done with any party members. You'll need to grind to a complete sphere grid with everyone to beat them anyway (Zanmato notwithstanding) so you can use any party members to beat them.

And if all else fails, just pay Yojimbo to make them go away. Problem solved. Kill a few Mimics in the Omega Ruins (ideally with Gillionaire) and you've got all your money back.

SoundwaveAU fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Jun 15, 2022

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Auron making his way back to Zanarkand after Braska dies just to throw down with Yunalesca is part of why he's the GOAT. And he made the trip from Zanarkand, down Mount Gagazet and through the Calm Lands while mortally wounded. Badass.

Also a cool detail about the music in Yunalesca's room. You can hear all the Hymns of the Fayth on YouTube, there's a different one for each temple, each sung by that temple's respective fayth. Then there's the Zanarkand one, which is sung by a lot of voices, and they're all kind of distorted and not harmonizing at all. You can hear that the fayth hanging around Zanarkand are just straight-up not having a good time.

SoundwaveAU fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jun 24, 2022

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

If you kill the fish guy (loving rad design btw) while he has vored somebody he just fuckin wipes your whole party. Definitely happened to me a couple times.

SoundwaveAU fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jul 4, 2022

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

The celestial weapons that any playthrough can get no matter what poo poo you missed earlier are Rikku, Auron and Kimahri.

Lulu and Wakka as well, but Wakka's takes a lot of Blitzball, which isn't a problem, but I always prefer to space it out rather than grinding it all at once. Lulu's requires the lightning dodging which is obviously notorious. I've done it twice but most people put it off for as long as possible.

So I think it's best to get Rikku, Auron and Kimahri as buff as possible and use them to carry you until you're strong enough/pay enough to get past any pesky roadblocks stopping you from getting to the others.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

You can get more info about the O'aka/Wantz stuff if after you go to the Thunder Plains for the first time, you turn back around and head to the Farplane. Why anyone would think to do this, I don't know, but you get a very hidden scene of Wantz and his sister.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdPORDv9yZY&t=75s

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Danaru posted:

:siren:New Episode!:siren:

Let's Play Final Fantasy X Episode 67 - This Is Blitzball

There is actually such a thing as too much Blitzball

Unfortunately, it's true. I love Blitzball but you can definitely burn out on it pretty fast.

Shout-out to the Blitzball mega fan on YouTube who has levelled every single team to Level 99.

EDIT: You know, that Jecht Sphere got me thinking that starting in Besaid is by far the most optimal route. Poor Braska started in Bevelle, had to go to Besaid via a reversed route of what our party did, then loving backtrack all that way just to get back to Bevelle. drat.

SoundwaveAU fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jul 19, 2022

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

So Tidus' affection is apparently highest with Wakka because he was the one to get the line before diving off the ship.

I also like how he's the first to dive off and somehow the last to land.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

For what it's worth, at 255 strength it makes no difference anyway

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Stolen from Reddit, I'm not smart enough to make good content

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

gently caress, I knew it seemed weirdly perfect timing. I just figured it was an insane coincidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

Congratulations on beating the game!

Here is another meme I stole from Reddit to celebrate, though this one was at least from a couple months ago. This one wasn't you too, was it Dan?!