Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PepperedMoth
Apr 8, 2022

Less salt, more pepper.
Ah, Final Fantasy X. I first played it when I was like 14, making it objectively the best Final Fantasy game. :P

It sort of feels to me like the game doesn't really start until Spiky-haired Blond Protagonist washes up on Besaid; despite all the glorious weirdness (first introduction to the extremely-impractical sport of Blitzball [proof that this world's inhabitants have freakishly high-capacity lungs], Blond Protagonist's daddy issues, and the Space Whale that Sucks You into its Mystery Hole), it's probably my least favorite part of the game. Maybe it's just that everything is so dang dark in the first two areas that it's a relief to see some sunlight at last.

The Sphere Grid is kind of a neat level-up system; I think it works pretty well thematically as well as mechanically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PepperedMoth
Apr 8, 2022

Less salt, more pepper.
It's especially funny when a Confused person tries to attack themselves and misses. (Lulu's physical attack animation is funny in general, too.)

Kind of funny how fast Yuna gets her thirst on for Tidus. One wonders how shallow the dating pool is on Besaid...

In fairness, though, for all his obtuseness, Tidus is at least earnest and well-meaning. He's already shown he's willing to break rules and throw himself into unknown danger for Yuna's sake... despite the fact that she had absolutely no need for it. Plus, he's real good at Spira's primary sport, which perhaps counts for something. :P

The Goers would fit right into the "jerk jock characters in a work of media aimed at ten-year-olds" niche.

PepperedMoth
Apr 8, 2022

Less salt, more pepper.
Dona's outfit makes her a solid contender in the the Worst Character Design in FFX competition. Seriously, what the actual hell. Is that, what, a reverse loincloth!?

I guess there had to be some justification for why Tidus would have to do another Cloister of Trials while not technically being a guardian. Can't have the player missing out on that thrilling sphere-in-slot puzzle action! :v:

PepperedMoth
Apr 8, 2022

Less salt, more pepper.
Oh boy, blitzball!!!

It's not one of my favorite minigames, but it's not too hard once you get the hang of it. (The Jecht Shot really helps.) I never really played it much when I was doing my first playthroughs as a kid, but I know some people really enjoy it.

And Seymour Guado... the guy keeping Spira's hair gel industry afloat almost single-handedly. (Wakka clearly has a hand in it as well.) While Seymour is another shining example of... unusual character design choices, I'm just glad he doesn't have visible underpants. (But yeesh, those nails!)

PepperedMoth
Apr 8, 2022

Less salt, more pepper.
Hoorah, Auron's back!

The Sin-is-Jecht reveal is certainly a doozy. Definitely a big WTF moment on the first playthrough.

I love the cut to Auron/Lulu/Wakka's blank, resigned expressions as Tidus HA HA HAs over on the balcony.

It's kind of funny how the Final Fantasy series has produced two of the most iconic video game laughs (with the other one being Kefka's from FFVI).

Maechen is one of my favorite side characters in FFX. There's plenty of questionable voice acting in this game, but I quite like Maechen's voice.

PepperedMoth
Apr 8, 2022

Less salt, more pepper.
Some of Rikku's Mixes are quite strong; the problem is, you either have to do a ton of experimentation or consult a guide in order to figure out which item combinations have what effects. (Though in some cases it's fairly intuitive--fire-damage item + fire-damage item is likely to give you a large-amount-of-fire-damage Mix. :cheeky:)

Still, if memory serves, Rikku is the only character who can actually be used to beat the game solo without ever touching the Sphere Grid. Use and Mix are pretty handy. (And Steal, of course, often gets you things that can be used with Use and Mix.)

PepperedMoth
Apr 8, 2022

Less salt, more pepper.
Seymour making his "keen to the scent of the Farplane comment" followed by Gooba& immediately going over to sniff Auron is one of the top Dorky Gooba& moments. Man just has no social skills.

The supposed resemblance between Chappu and Gooba& is presumably mostly the product of Wakka's grief. The guy saw a blitzball-playing stranger of more-or-less the right age wash up onto the beach and decided to do some projecting. (Though I guess their faces might look sort of a little similar?)

PepperedMoth
Apr 8, 2022

Less salt, more pepper.
I feel like some of the dickish design decisions in video games like this (such as easily-missable Al Bhed primers in a location very close to a point-of-no-return--especially cruel given that the game just let you pick up primers you missed earlier while in the desert, so a first-time unspoiled player would have no reason to believe that any primers are permanently missable) are a way to induce people to purchase strategy guides. There must be some sort of kickback the strategy guide publishers are providing to the game companies.

Also, Squonk is precious and I love him.

PepperedMoth
Apr 8, 2022

Less salt, more pepper.
Regarding Guado and fiends--fiends are created when a person dies, can't accept their own death, aren't Sent by a summoner, and eventually develop enough bitterness and rage that they manifest a monstrous new body out of pyreflies. Guado are noted as having a special connection to the pyrefly-filled Farplane (where dead people go according to Yevonite belief, and where pyreflies show images of the dead according to Al Bhed belief), so it makes sense to that they might have some ability to control fiends (which are made from dead people and pyreflies).

In very, very faint defense of Wakka--even if he couldn't understand that Cid was saying in Al Bhed moments before The Comment ("Gah-hah-hah-hah! Return to sand!" and "No need for tears. What is good about machina, is that they can be built anew, you see?"), he could presumably pick up that Cid was trying to make light of the situation. So he tried to do the same in order to comfort Rikku. But... given that Wakka is, uh, not known for his people skills, and that he's also not the leader of the Al Bhed (who are now grieving both the loss of friends/family and their Home, so it makes sense that Cid would want to try and keep morale up)/the guy that founded Home in the first place, and also that Wakka has NO TACT WHATSOEVER, he just made himself look like a huge jackass and made everything worse.

As for that sphere oscillo-scope... well, that's sure a Plot Device if I ever saw one. :cheeky:

I love that "gumbus" is now the official term for a little protruding bit that branches off from the main path.

PepperedMoth
Apr 8, 2022

Less salt, more pepper.
I think I heard somewhere that the reason they added in that whole "whoops, some Guado and fiends snuck onto the airship, now go and clear them out!" bit was to allow players to grind prior to the Evrae fight, since Evrae can be quite difficult if you go in underleveled.

Rin is great. "I have faith in your victory. :)"

If anyone on Spira deserves to get killed more than once, it's Seymour.

PepperedMoth
Apr 8, 2022

Less salt, more pepper.
One could make an argument that the design of the Bevelle Cloister of Trials is thematically appropriate--just as Bevelle, the heart of Yevon, has set out a clear path for the people of Spira to follow--especially the summoners--from which it will permit no deviation, so too does the trial funnel its victims summoners' parties down strictly delineated paths. If only you follow the path, Yevon claims, you will inevitably be rewarded (as Bevelle's Cloister is the only one in which you cannot miss the Destruction Sphere treasure). And yet Yevon's path is paved with hypocrisy--machina forbidden to the common folk by the authorities of Bevelle, but on full display within Bevelle's most sacred places, with machina weapons in the hands of the soldier-monks who guard it.

One could also make a greater argument that the Bevelle Cloister of Trials is really freaking annoying, why would the game designers do this to everyone, do they just feed off suffering???

On the topic of summoners going to Bevelle and seeing all the machina around... I feel like Bevelle is probably intended to be the last temple summoners visit in a standard pilgrimage. At that point, the summoner is already pretty well committed--yeah, some will quit afterwards, but if you've already decided you're willing to die to defeat Sin... well, the machina in Bevelle don't change the fact that Sin is killing people now. And if a summoner were to stop their pilgrimage and try to turn people against the Bevelle authorities by telling everyone about Bevelle's machina, the fact that said summoner abandoned their pilgrimage is going to immediately discredit them.

PepperedMoth fucked around with this message at 23:46 on May 26, 2022

PepperedMoth
Apr 8, 2022

Less salt, more pepper.
Ah, the Calm Lands: home to the Absolute Worst Final Fantasy Minigame Ever.

I just love Maechen's little bishop hat. :3: (Wait! No! Put the weapons down! He's not an actual Yevonite religious leader!)

PepperedMoth
Apr 8, 2022

Less salt, more pepper.
Congratulations on getting past this often-troublesome boss!

Auron's speech in the cutscene beforehand is great the first time around, but after enough deaths and reattempts, it starts to feel kind of tedious. Not that I would know anything about that. :cheeky:

When I was playing FFX as a teenager, I thought at first that the jittery-staticky bit of the pre-boss cutscene was because I had a defective disk or something, but of course I found out later that it's like that on purpose.

It's funny how Yunalesca could have avoided so much trouble if she had just... like... lied. "Oh, yeah, sure, Sin will totally be gone for good eventually one of these days! Once enough of Spira's people are thoroughly-atoned Yevonites and Spira sends enough sacrificial lambs summoners to Final Summon at Sin, Spira's troubles will be over. No worries."

Though it's possible that, after a thousand years chilling out in Zanarkand as a bikini-clad zombie Unsent, she's sick enough of all this crap that she figures she may as well try and provoke whoever comes by and asks the right questions into kicking her rear end right to the Farplane.

PepperedMoth
Apr 8, 2022

Less salt, more pepper.
:banjo: Seymour's mom has got it goin' on
She met Lady Y and turned into an aeon
Hilda, don't you see, you're just not the one for me
I know it might be wrong, but I want Seymour's mom's aeon :banjo:

Anima Quegg's a pretty nifty aeon; I've found her useful when getting started on the Monster Arena grinding process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PepperedMoth
Apr 8, 2022

Less salt, more pepper.
I think aeon stats are tied specifically to Yuna's stats and the total number of battles the party has fought (plus any boosts the player chooses to give them with items.) If Yuna had gotten the Kimahri treatment stat-wise... this string of battles might have dragged on even longer.

Fun fact: if you go into the last aeon battle with a weapon that has Sensor on it, you get to see the fayths’ last words:

Valefor: Strike me down.
Ifrit: Extinguish me.
Ixion: End it here.
Shiva: Please... defeat me.
Bahamut: Soon... eternal rest.
Yojimbo: Take my life.
Anima: Thus I atone.
Sandy: Don't cry.
Mindy: Gotta say goodbye.
Cindy: Stop the suffering.