Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
Oh, this big, dumb game.

The idiotic costume design, the extremely limited enemies, the massive railroading and hallway design... it's everything that made FF13 god awful. Yet somehow, it's still one of my favorite FF games. It's just so drat sincere about itself that it's really hard to hate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

Guardian job requirements:
- Be decent in a monster fight
- Be really good at escape rooms
- Creative naming skills a plus
- ???

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

Danaru posted:

:siren:New Episode!:siren:

Let's Play Final Fantasy X Episode 22 - He's Wearing All The Clothes

Seymour shows us his lovely religious movies while Rikku goes goblin mode and obliterates a buffet. I can appreciate that

There's some costume design in this game, that's for sure.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

Gnoman posted:

Maybe because it is because she joins properly so late and the developers were concerned you wouldn't "bond" with the character, but Rikku seems so much more expressive than everybody else in her movements and body language. Not just in the "young and excitable way", either - her body language at the Farplane and when she talks about the Thunder Plains at the end of the video just seems so much more. Which feels really odd when everybody else defaults to upright and stoic.

For starters, she's not neck deep in the teachings of Yevon, but that's a discussion for later.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

Lightning dodging- AKA The worst minigame. To the point someone built a robot to do it for them

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

Rikku getting wrecked after darkball failed, then wrecked again before her get up animation was done was fantastic.

Just remember, someone thought this was a good idea. They presented it to the team, the team agreed, the testers thought it was fine. A giant train of failures brought us here, to the lightning fields that never end.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

Akratic Method posted:

Yeah, that's what I ended up doing, just hasting her and mashing that "immune to element" button as hard as I could. And I barely made it through! Seymour is actually pretty nasty.

I also didn't realize the auto-potion counter until afterward when I scanned a later appearance of those enemies.

There's a counter outside of "Burn them to the ground"?

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

SoundwaveAU posted:

The Cloister of Trials right after a really important story boss fight leading to the murder of one of the major religious leaders of the world really kills the pacing. This is my favourite game ever but that's just BAD. They just had to force the Cloister of Trials in there even when it didn't fit what was going on.

Now imagine being like 8 years old and being stuck there unable to progress the story :D

Not just a Cloister of Trials, but the Ice Sliding Block Puzzle Cloister of Trials. Because that is how professional game designers pace things!

EDIT: Oh my god I just saw the end of the video. GAME DESIGN!

pointlessone fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 18, 2022

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

Finally this world's worst kept secret is out.

This is why Rikku is the best. She (was) the only one of the party who was there trying to stop Yuna's death march while also putting up with Wakka. It also brings up a LOT of how much Auron's been hiding from Gooba& to keep him on the path instead of having him run away.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

cant cook creole bream posted:

I hate it when stories flesh out backstories of characters long after their death.

This may not be the game for you. Jeckt Spheres alone give more backstory to Braska's crew than some games give their main characters, and it's barely a blip in the number of people who died before the game even started that become story relevant.

The rails are off and we're off the rails, strap in folks, the second act of this game gets wild

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

Danaru posted:

:siren:New Episode!:siren:

Let's Play Final Fantasy X Episode 36 - drat Cid!

This fight rules, mind you I totally forgot Cid had more missiles after the whole Home incident :staredog:

Cid rules. He was ready to chuck Auron out of the airlock and his first reaction to a conflict is to blow it up.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

RudeCat posted:

Fervent believers of a religion on a self directed suicide run tend to be predisposed to ignoring stuff like that, I'd imagine.

"It's for the greater good".

Plus it's not weapons, so it's not exactly against the rules. No more than Blitzball, at least.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

FoolyCharged posted:

But we already passed the thunder plains?

I'm glad the main game isn't balanced around the celestial weapons, because oh God are most of them gated behind some atrocious mini games.

At least one of them is blitzball.

The least bad of them is Blitzball.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

Prythian posted:

Mika doesn't *want* to become a monster to fight people.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

Are... are all the episodes going to end this way now?

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

Oh. This fight.

I rushed through the leadup area because I hated fighting those big dudes with too much HP. It ended badly.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

Finally, this fight! It's so nice that they let you go back to the save point after that cutscene at least. They knew, in a game filled with "how on earth did this get through testing", that this particular fight was going to be a stumbling block.

I'm going with 2 wipes at low boss HP, entirely because Dan loses track of who's got zombieproof when shuffling people in to get AP and ends up with three of a kind on the field at once.

I love this fight as a story telling tool. It's a fantastic gateway to the final act; symbolically it's Gooba& finally saving Yuna& from the death spiral so she can realize she's the author of her own fate while literally saving her from the final summoning, while also mechanically being the gateway that opens the entire world up to be explored instead of being on a predetermined path.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

PepperedMoth posted:

Congratulations on getting past this often-troublesome boss!

Auron's speech in the cutscene beforehand is great the first time around, but after enough deaths and reattempts, it starts to feel kind of tedious. Not that I would know anything about that. :cheeky:

When I was playing FFX as a teenager, I thought at first that the jittery-staticky bit of the pre-boss cutscene was because I had a defective disk or something, but of course I found out later that it's like that on purpose.

It's funny how Yunalesca could have avoided so much trouble if she had just... like... lied. "Oh, yeah, sure, Sin will totally be gone for good eventually one of these days! Once enough of Spira's people are thoroughly-atoned Yevonites and Spira sends enough sacrificial lambs summoners to Final Summon at Sin, Spira's troubles will be over. No worries."

Though it's possible that, after a thousand years chilling out in Zanarkand as a bikini-clad zombie Unsent, she's sick enough of all this crap that she figures she may as well try and provoke whoever comes by and asks the right questions into kicking her rear end right to the Farplane.

The thing is, it doesn't matter if she lied or not. Lulu was ready to go all in before they walked into that room, and the only reason the question was even asked was because Gooba& had been questioning everything from day one of the trip. Duty and honor and sacrifice for the greater good is so engrained into the very fabric of the culture that they almost certainly never ask. Why bother lying when they're still going to continue on the death spiral anyway?

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The sound mixing is super goofy on this episode.

E: Derp, nevermind.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

Danaru posted:

I'm doing great by the way

As fun as it is to do the "Hur dur entertaining us is more important" thing, make sure to take care of yourself.

I'm with you, I don't like living in interesting times anymore either, I want to go back to mildly dull and entirely predictable times. Cursed fortune cookie!

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

WHAT DID YOU DO

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

Danaru posted:

Alright I might have made this a little harder than it had to be
If I remember right. each Aeon is tied to one of the party member's stats and Celestial Weapon level, so... yeah.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

God I love this big dumb game so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

I was hoping you'd finish Penance off with a Self Destruct