Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Also, if anything Teddy is modeled after Bill Dauterive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Cotton Hill is a war hero. He killed fiddy men.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

YeahTubaMike posted:

Also, Hank & Peggy seemed like roommates rather than husband & wife, and that was always vaguely off putting imho.

Because they're both uptight and neither is real into expressing love or open displays of affection.

Yep.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
I'm surprised nobody's said Supernatural yet. The first five seasons are a coherent story with a beginning, middle, and end, and then the story keeps going for another ten goddamn years

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Froghammer posted:

I'm surprised nobody's said Supernatural yet. The first five seasons are a coherent story with a beginning, middle, and end, and then the story keeps going for another ten goddamn years

Didn't they try to end it multiple times, but the network wouldn't let them? Maybe that was something else.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Mr. Smile Face Hat posted:

I'm actually really good at binging and finishing shows, so these two are major exceptions:

Bob's Burgers.
- Too many depressing characters: Teddy, Mr. Fishodor, Gail, also Bob himself to an extent.
- Gene is consistently unfunnier than Jar Jar Binks.
- "Your rear end is made out of gold and can't be sold" storylines like the one where Bob is too morally high-minded to sell or rent the restaurant to a film studio or what that was (sorry, it's been a few years).
- Gross and unfunny poo poo. The tapeworm episode was my last.

King of the Hill.
- Depressing characters: Cotton Hill, that friend of Hank's Teddy in Bob's Burgers is apparently modeled after, Hank Hill himself.
- That one episode where Hank somehow rationalized that some kind of football(?) player was above all other people in the neighborhood. (Could have been some other kind of popular spectator sport.)
- I don't find stupid people too stupid to address their issues or seek out help funny or entertaining.
- Last episode for me was what felt like the 800th one to focus on Cotton Hill.

I liked early Bob’s Burgers when it had a slight edge and took risks. Not like family guy absurdity or mean spiritedness but stuff like Louise being allowed to be a little psycho like getting claw fingernails on the cruise ship or Bob having a Totoro hallucination on absinthe and getting shot at by his landlord’s love interest. Then later seasons feel like they are playing it too safe and insist on jamming in a song, and agreed Gene is a terrible character. Although it was fun to notice how he’d yell out an overwritten pun on the situation and no one would react.

For King of the Hill when it was in its golden age it may be the only comedy that could seriously challenge the prime Simpsons. Ran out of gas around S9 but still had some gems and fortunately ended on a dignified note.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Gene saying something vaguely inappropriate and Bob saying "Gene" is comedy gold.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Escobarbarian posted:

Carnivale: really wanted to get into this one but after half of s1 I just wasn’t vibing with it at all

A few of these were shows I gave a shot during the pandemic, so maybe that contributed to my overall malaise.

Same on Carnivale; I may have made it through season one of this; and I dunno if the fact I went into it knowing it got cancelled after the second season gave me a negative bend from the get-go, but I didn't vibe with it either.

Justified it seemed fun, but I petered out quick; it felt a lot like a procedural and it just didn't land with me.

Six Feet Under was interesting, but some of the side plots bored me to the point I didn't feel like continuing.

I made it a bit further than the Negan plot on Walking Dead, but it was basically tuning in to talk poo poo about it with my brother. I did tune back in when I saw they were adding a Deaf actress to the cast (they were still fighting the zombie-skin people) out of morbid curiosity, but I was actually pleasantly surprised. Tuned back out quick though.

Fear the Walking Dead I know, I know. But the third season actually kicked rear end, and then I stuck around for another season or two because of Garret Dillahunt.

Westworld. S1 was pretty fun, but then...

Fargo 1 was good, petered out on 2, gave up a few episodes into S3

Hannibal was cool and all, I just went cold on it an episode or two into S2.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

As Nero Danced posted:

Didn't they try to end it multiple times, but the network wouldn't let them? Maybe that was something else.

When Jensen Ackles was announced for The Boys, Eric Kripke tweeted that his calling in life was to always keep Ackles employed in television. People thought he was joking, but I can only assume that's legitimately the actual reason they made 10(+?) fake seasons after the show ended with Season 5.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

For King of the Hill when it was in its golden age it may be the only comedy that could seriously challenge the prime Simpsons. Ran out of gas around S9 but still had some gems and fortunately ended on a dignified note.

They're doing a new one. Apparently it's not a reboot but a continuation and the characters will be aged up

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Jerusalem posted:

When Jensen Ackles was announced for The Boys, Eric Kripke tweeted that his calling in life was to always keep Ackles employed in television. People thought he was joking, but I can only assume that's legitimately the actual reason they made 10(+?) fake seasons after the show ended with Season 5.
IIRC Kripke left Supernatural after season 5 (he went on to do some weird time travel thing on NBC), but Ackles is great. Excellent voice actor too.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

LadyPictureShow posted:

Justified it seemed fun, but I petered out quick; it felt a lot like a procedural and it just didn't land with me.

Strongly recommend giving this one another shot, the procedural stuff only lasts 5 or 6 episodes before it finds its groove in long-form character work

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

King of the Hill.
- Depressing characters: Cotton Hill, that friend of Hank's Teddy in Bob's Burgers is apparently modeled after, Hank Hill himself.
- That one episode where Hank somehow rationalized that some kind of football(?) player was above all other people in the neighborhood. (Could have been some other kind of popular spectator sport.)
- I don't find stupid people too stupid to address their issues or seek out help funny or entertaining.
- Last episode for me was what felt like the 800th one to focus on Cotton Hill.

Nothing wrong with how you interpreted the show of course but I found the show interesting in its original run because it was an almost mirror-reflection of my upbringing. It's a comedy on its face but it honestly just feels more like a documentary about life in the '90s suburban Southern plains. I identified with Bobby quite strongly. My dad is basically Hank. I knew several Peggys, Dales, etc.

BiggerBoat posted:

Because they're both uptight and neither is real into expressing love or open displays of affection.

Yep.

Like most emotionally-repressed people in these neck o' the woods. Yep. *cracks open beer in the alley*

WRT the thread topic put me in with the Simpsons, but also Star Trek: Voyager. I grew up a huge Trek fan, and around season five is when the veil began to part and I was like, "...this sucks, doesn't it?" I wound up watching most of the rest of the episodes but it was the first time in my adolescence since I had started watching Trek it was no longer appointment watching.

Judgy Fucker fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jun 17, 2022

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Learning that something you love has become terrible is an important milestone for every youth.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

ninjahedgehog posted:

Strongly recommend giving this one another shot, the procedural stuff only lasts 5 or 6 episodes before it finds its groove in long-form character work

Agreed, season 1 is very slow and takes its time, most of the first season is establishing who the rest of the characters in the marshal's office are. Once Boyd gets out of prison, it picks back up. Seasons 2-4 are phenomenal, season 5 is a bit of a dud (Elmore Leonard, the writer, died and sucked the window out of the sails, I'd almost say you can skip this season entirely), and season 6 is a return to form.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

TipTow posted:

Nothing wrong with how you interpreted the show of course but I found the show interesting in its original run because it was an almost mirror-reflection of my upbringing. It's a comedy on its face but it honestly just feels more like a documentary about life in the '90s suburban Southern plains. I identified with Bobby quite strongly. My dad is basically Hank. I knew several Peggys, Dales, etc.

Like most emotionally-repressed people in these neck o' the woods. Yep. *cracks open beer in the alley*

WRT the thread topic put me in with the Simpsons, but also Star Trek: Voyager. I grew up a huge Trek fan, and around season five is when the veil began to part and I was like, "...this sucks, doesn't it?" I wound up watching most of the rest of the episodes but it was the first time in my adolescence since I had started watching Trek it was no longer appointment watching.
Star Trek: Strange New Worlds is appointment watching, for what it's worth

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

TipTow posted:

For sure, DS9 was my favorite and I assumed as a dumb kid that meant I should also watch Voyager. While they did have the occasional solid ep so much of the cast/characters were deadwood it was tough for them to keep momentum. I think I gave up when they spent the first part wandering around an Irish village. Although oddly considering what came after Voyager is probably in the solid upper-middle of Trek products.

Froghammer posted:

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds is appointment watching, for what it's worth

I need to check that out. It's getting the same buzz on the forums as Orville did and folk were right about that.

For another show, The Boys started out interesting but felt like they ran out of ideas and kept upping the gore/shock without anything to say. I bailed when they put out the cartoon as it felt like a great opportunity to tell stories in the universe but it was trash. The side characters felt like headache inducing Cards Against Humanity, here's rear end-face... he kills people! And poop-hair... he also kills people, and swears! Wish the show would canned to free Karl Urban to make a Dredd show.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Learning that something you love was always terrible is an important milestone for every youth.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Thanks to this thread I remember I stopped watching Bones I assume that doesn't require explanation. I think I made it to Season 8 or 9?

Money Heist This show was just somehow not my style. I gave it a shot (through S3 I think?) but it seemed too heavy and self-serious for what should have been more fun. Also when everything is a TWIST it stops being shocking. I watch a lot of non-US shows so I don't think it was just a matter of translation.

Dickinson Made it through the first two seasons. It's a quirky show with a unique style, and maybe I'll keep going, but by the end of S2 the only character I really liked was Lavinia.

The Magicians I know this show gets a lot of love here but It just wasn't grabbing me. I stopped early in S3 just through lost momentum.

I'm sure there's more but those are the popular-ish ones I could remember off the top of my head.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Just remembered another one, Sopranos. Made it all the way to the pine barrens episode (supposedly the best episode of the whole series) when I was working nights and it just didn't click.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

As Nero Danced posted:

Just remembered another one, Sopranos. Made it all the way to the pine barrens episode (supposedly the best episode of the whole series) when I was working nights and it just didn't click.

You gave a lengthy breakdown of The Wire and why one should stick with it through heaps of bad episodes, but a single episode of The Sopranos made you quit? Bullshit. You didn't like the whole thing.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

You gave a lengthy breakdown of The Wire and why one should stick with it through heaps of bad episodes, but a single episode of The Sopranos made you quit? Bullshit. You didn't like the whole thing.

I never watched the Wire or said anything about it.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

As Nero Danced posted:

I never watched the Wire or said anything about it.

Sorry, whatever that other show was that you mentioned.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Sorry, whatever that other show was that you mentioned.

Justified? All I said was "these seasons were good, this one was bad." And yeah, none of the sopranos clicked with me, so of course I didn't like the whole thing. That's kinda the point of this thread.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

As Nero Danced posted:

Justified? All I said was "these seasons were good, this one was bad." And yeah, none of the sopranos clicked with me, so of course I didn't like the whole thing. That's kinda the point of this thread.

The point is also to explain a little bit why, and you didn't do that outside of "wasn't feeling it", which is a poor explanation. Otherwise everyone could just list the shows they stopped watching and be done with it.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I liked early Bob’s Burgers when it had a slight edge and took risks. Not like family guy absurdity or mean spiritedness but stuff like Louise being allowed to be a little psycho like getting claw fingernails on the cruise ship or Bob having a Totoro hallucination on absinthe and getting shot at by his landlord’s love interest. Then later seasons feel like they are playing it too safe and insist on jamming in a song, and agreed Gene is a terrible character. Although it was fun to notice how he’d yell out an overwritten pun on the situation and no one would react.

There are also the sensibilities of the show runners that sometimes have a side effect. I hated what little I've seen of that Central Park show so much that it influenced my feelings on Bob's Burgers.

I'll never forgive Mike Judge for toning down Beavis and Butthead without a fight and not releasing the early episodes at all or uncensored in any collections. I still gave King of the Hill a chance, but it always felt to me like he lost a bet and had to made younger Mr. Anderson the main character of a weirdly serious show.

Tyler Whitney
Jan 21, 2020

Why don't you make it sing?

Escobarbarian posted:

Carnivale: really wanted to get into this one but after half of s1 I just wasn’t vibing with it at all

I can definitely see this, Carnivale's first season pace is absolutely glacial (it makes Westworld look fast, by comparison). The second season is quicker but not by a tremendous amount.

For me any of the long form CW shows need about half their episode order trimmed to make it watchable; plus picking the Flash and Arrow back up again is daunting just due to the quality slide alone.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
Sacrilege, I know, but I also gave up on The Venture Brothers when it got a bit too up it's own rear end with the Deep Lore.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I stuck with Walking Dead up until Carol got banished (I think season 4), and got out immediately after. I know she was still on the show, but she was the only character I liked anymore, so slogging through the rest of the cast without her to get to that point just wasn't worth it. Reading pretty much anything about it afterward seems like I made the right choice anyway.

I don't think I'm going back to Cobra Kai. The first season was a lot of fun when it was just two guys who couldn't let go of a silly high school karate rivalry, but the seasons got progressively cornier and more cliched just like the movies did. Every plot point after S1 seemed like it was based entirely around someone either just happening to stumble into a situation that would randomly solve the problem (like Daniel in Okinawa), or just happening to walk in at the exact wrong time to see some out of context contrivance to start more teen drama. S3 had its moments, but I really didn't give a poo poo about Kreese's cliche Vietnam flashbacks. The show just got too dumb for my tastes, and took too much focus off of Daniel and Johnny's rivalry, which is why I started watching.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

The point is also to explain a little bit why, and you didn't do that outside of "wasn't feeling it", which is a poor explanation. Otherwise everyone could just list the shows they stopped watching and be done with it.

There are also the sensibilities of the show runners that sometimes have a side effect. I hated what little I've seen of that Central Park show so much that it influenced my feelings on Bob's Burgers.

I'll never forgive Mike Judge for toning down Beavis and Butthead without a fight and not releasing the early episodes at all or uncensored in any collections. I still gave King of the Hill a chance, but it always felt to me like he lost a bet and had to made younger Mr. Anderson the main character of a weirdly serious show.

Sorry, I was in a crabby mood last night. I just found it boring and unsatisfying, Tony and his family began the show as assholes and remained assholes for all three seasons I watched, and I didn't see a reason to stick around to keep watching them be dicks to each other and any random person they came across. The other mobsters were either incompetent or assholes themselves (usually a mixture of the two) and there wasn't anything to latch onto. I made it to the end of the third season and there wasn't a compelling reason to care about any of them. Even trying to watch the show as a descent into them becoming worse didn't work, they started as awful people and remained so for the whole show. I just didn't see what the big fuss was.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

I stopped with Bobs Burgers because I got tired of the "Bob has to lose" thing. I particularity dislike the game show episode, where they're cheated out of the prize and then cheated again at the mock trail. Then when Bob is helping the shithead neighbour change the tire on the car he cheated him out of and everyone is still giving Bob poo poo while he's doing it as the episode ends.

Also Archer, made it through the coma episodes and the creators were talking about how when he wakes up he's going to be dealing with the fact he's not the best anymore. The first episode it sure seems like everyone is doing competently without Archer and he's feeling unneeded but oh wait they're all getting played by the villain and Archer ends up saving the day again... so much for that, never bothered to watch anymore

Dragonstoned fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jun 19, 2022

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

As Nero Danced posted:

Sorry, I was in a crabby mood last night. I just found it boring and unsatisfying, Tony and his family began the show as assholes and remained assholes for all three seasons I watched, and I didn't see a reason to stick around to keep watching them be dicks to each other and any random person they came across. The other mobsters were either incompetent or assholes themselves (usually a mixture of the two) and there wasn't anything to latch onto. I made it to the end of the third season and there wasn't a compelling reason to care about any of them. Even trying to watch the show as a descent into them becoming worse didn't work, they started as awful people and remained so for the whole show. I just didn't see what the big fuss was.

No worries and thanks for your thoughts. Tony was always an rear end, that's true.

Dragonstoned posted:

I stopped with Bobs Burgers because I got tired of the "Bob has to lose" thing. I particularity dislike the game show episode, where they're cheated out of the prize and then cheated again at the mock trail. Then when Bob is helping the shithead neighbour change the tire on the car he cheated him out of and everyone is still giving Bob poo poo while he's doing it as the episode ends.

Right, it's like he has so little social intelligence that he shouldn't even be able to keep his burger joint.

The Walking Dead:
I guess everyone has a different point where they feel the wheels came off. For me it was season 5. Some gems:

(1) Our heroes to themselves: "Oh my, we've killed so many people, I guess that makes us just as bad!?".
(2) Our heroes asking whatever gang of killers or individual killer: "Why are you cannibals/killers?" Killer(s): "Some of us / my spouse / my favorite video game character got killed, so we started eating people [or whatever]."
(3) "All life is precious". Would have been cool for 2-3 episodes, but not the 38 it felt like.
(4) Carol: "I'm just gonna take some time out watching you guys get killed."
(5) Not killing Negan.

Nearly all their reasoning, be it moral or tactical, has always been hilariously wrong. (1) and (2) are "said no one ever" cases, (3) and (4) is rigid, dumb and annoying. (5) goes against all tactical intelligence (at least in a TV show).

Fear the Walking Dead also did (2).

I have to admit that I still staid with TWD until some point in season 8 because hatewatching can be fun ("To the up-up!") and right now am just taking an indefinite hiatus until I may return.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!

(5) Not killing Negan.

I think I watched for a little past this point, but I'm pretty sure the episode where Carl (aka "Coral") hides in a supply truck with a ranged weapon in order to assassinate Negan--where he immediately reveals his presence after arriving and proceeds to break cover so he can then be quickly disarmed, instead of just sniping Negan at an opportune moment--was probably the point where I just checked out of TWD completely. I couldn't even hatewatch it for very long after that, it had gotten so dumb and stupid.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Why they didn't just give Negan a long black cape and have him twirl his mustache, I'll never know.

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

I had to give up on Scandal. It was always a little ridiculous, but it just got to be way too much. It was always trying to one up itself with ridiculous twists that came out of nowhere. I think I finally broke up with it when her mom, who the main character long thought was dead, is actually alive, but was actually a secret terrorist and her CIA father was keeping her locked up at a black site or something? I couldn't continue it because it was so absurd but also took itself very seriously and I think you either need to do one or the other.

How to Get Away with Murder is on my list but I'm not sure I want to start it after having to give up on a Shonda Rhimes show.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Stargate SG-1

I liked when the show stuck to the premise of having weird alien transportation technology and needed to use it to explore a hostile universe to gain tech and allies to have a chance of surviving against a super-powerful evil that has so far only allowed Earth to survive as it is beneath his notice. The episode where the other team is trapped by a black hole's gravity and can't be rescued and it nearly destroys earth, or when they help a besieged people only to realize those are the bad guys, or the aliens who will help them but are also sterilizing them, all great. Also could be good at comedy, my favorite ep was the time loop and Thor was fun.

A persistent issue was while a motivated Richard Dean Anderson could be fun to watch (that became an issue as the show went on), and Christopher Judge was the most consistently strong actor they had, much of the other cast (in my uninformed dumb opinion) were passable at best but often dull and didn't put much life into weaker episodes.

I was surprised season six when Daniel Jackson left and was replaced by the much more high energy and likeable Jonas who helped make their exploration fun again, and the season felt better written with more layers to dangers and interesting uses of the setting. Then Daniel Jackson came back as a Jedi with amnesia and had a force lightning duel with the villain while a Star Wars battle takes place to destroy the reactor. It was frustrating, along with Earth gaining an interstellar space ship with shields, warp drive, transporters, etc, felt like they lost confidence and were abandoning their own premise to mimic other sci-fi. Gave up at the episode "Space Race" when Carter got into a wacky NASCAR in space contest.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
I can’t be bothered to finish Ozark. I just don’t care anymore.

I stopped watching Walking Dead after the phone call in the prison. I guess he was supposed to be shown cracking up but right there I was out.

Never finished mad men. Stopped right around when the English guy wit the glasses starting playing a big role. Nothing specific about the character that made me stop, that’s just what I remember from where I left it off.

davecrazy fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jun 21, 2022

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

davecrazy posted:

For the best the ending is awful.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
In the order in which I remember:

24 - I stopped watching this one after they killed Curtis at like the start of season 5 or 6. They'd killed off lots of good characters before, but at a certain amount of bodies, you stop bothering to get attached. That was a pointless, borderline out-of-character death for shock value, and it was a bridge too far for me.

Scrubs - I stuck around with this one until Zach Braff left, which seemed like a good exit point.

Grimm - I cut ties with this show immediately as soon as Nick started a romantic relationship with the woman who raped him by deception (using magic to disguise herself as his fiancee) which started a chain of events which practically ruined his life and ended up getting his finacee killed.

Enterprise - I don't think I made it to the end of Season 3.

Star Trek: Discovery - I bailed once Season 2 was done and everyone was like "now let's all pretend like Discovery never existed so that this doesn't hurt canon!"

Arrow - I think I stopped at the start of Season 3 or something? When they started getting really seriously into magic stuff.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

davecrazy posted:

How far did you get? I had 0 desire to start season 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

banned from Starbucks posted:

How far did you get? I had 0 desire to start season 2

Two episodes into the last season.

You keep killing off the big baddie and replacing them with another big baddie...how will Buck Rodgers...er Marty Byrd escape THIS TIME!