Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

For me it's the original Kung Fu. Starts off really good with philosophical arguments and fights grounded in reality more or less, then descends into complete gibberish and awful "magic" effects that we are supposed to take seriously, starting in the second season.

And then they kept making sequel and spinoff series. I dropped it near the end of the second season and never bothered trying to get into it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

This is how I found out there is a modern day version of Kung Fu. And it's on.... The CW!?!?! :lol:

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
The Battlestar Galactica remake. I used to recommend that show to everyone I knew. "Watch the miniseries and first episode with me and if you don't immediately want to see more I'll never mention it to you again." That was a tough ask even when I was a huge fan, but it turned a couple of friends into fans. Idk, maybe I was more convincing when I was younger.

Anyway, it took a few years but the fact that the show is so dated as to basically be... anachronistic might be the wrong term but there's a lot of plot thread that's definitely 'cringe' today. The 'plan' was all bullshit and the show's 'commentary' on the necessity for war and violence during the Iraq war rings very hollow today. It still has stellar acting and some plot points do still give me chills even thinking about, but I probably won't ever do a full series re-watch again.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
God the Ozark ending really was god loving awful

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

I'm too old to bury my son!

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

In the order in which I remember:

Scrubs - I stuck around with this one until Zach Braff left, which seemed like a good exit point.

Most people are probably aware, but this seems to be standard practice. There are only 7 episodes of the show after Braff leaves, and they're OK but don't go anywhere. Most fans of the show (including die hard lifelong fans) consider season 8's finale the culmination.

Zach Braff himself hasn't seen season 9 even though he's in six episodes. He and Donald Faison are podcasting their way through the whole series so I'll get to hear his opinion eventually.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ozark. Tbh this show was stupid from the beginning but I liked watching it anyways. The last season dropped and I watched half the first episode and realized what a chore watching it had become. So I just turned it off, because I don't care what happens at all.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ozark was such a mediocre show and then that finale was absolutely awful

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Resident Alien. Season 1 was pretty good and it was fun to see Alan Tudyk as a lead and the overall plot was ok.

Season 2 a red flag they were out of ideas was episode 1 when Tudyk lost his memory and we got an amnesia episode. The show often seems to forget it is about an alien there to destroy the planet and we get long digressions into generic sitcom plots. The mayor and his wife are PG rated kinky, isn't that ridiculous? I agree women should be paid the same as men but why is that a whole episode, I thought the planet was in danger?

Also seems to think the audience is in love with the alright but mediocre supporting cast and had a long digression where they drive a boat endlessly around a lake and I could sense the director off camera making the "stretch out the scene" signal. I wonder if something happened with production where Tudyk wasn't available for half the shoot?

Oooof. Same. Also Tudyk got alien superpowers, so every plot line can just get tied up with handy contrivance!

That reminds me that I haven't stuck with a Sci Fi show since... Farscape? Or Battlestar? (and yeah, I should have given up on that one).

Giving up on them is ALWAYS the correct decision.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Resident Alien is definitely a weird awkward show but I dig how it feels like it accidentally became super feminist at some point.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I enjoyed the first half of season 2 quite a bit :shobon:

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Escobarbarian posted:

God the Ozark ending really was god loving awful
Yeah it was the type of ending/final season that made me no longer even consider recommending the show, even though I liked the first 2ish seasons quite a bit.

Also why don't they ever turn lights on in their goddamned house?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I still like Resident Alien but I do agree that season 2 has felt a little unfocused by having everyone get their own subplots.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I'm surprised as many people listed some of the shows I did in the OP. I figured I was the only one for many of them.

One that I stuck with to the end (all eight episodes) but probably should've been fodder for this thread: Allen Gregory. Holy gently caress, what an awful pile of crap. I'd like to know what Jonah Hill had pictures of Rupert Murdoch sodomizing to get shitheap green-lit.

I don't think I've ever watched a show where I hated virtually every single main character, but 8-year old repugnant, spoiled poo poo who is some combination of rapey and probably gay; his repugnant, spoiled poo poo gay father; his other dad who broke up his old family to be Gay for Pay to gold-dig off his new husband :wtc:. I ended up sticking with it just to hatewatch and post in the thread.

As Nero Danced posted:

King of the Hill is a show where I'll watch one episode every three or four months, it was good but not great, and my complaints are pretty close to yours. And yeah Cotton Hill is a miserable bastard and I always hated that Hank never kicked his rear end. Apparently he dies in season 12 and even there he doesn't get what he has coming to him.

Hank's a bit of an rear end in a top hat (one with merits and good qualities, but still an rear end in a top hat). Sadly that means everyone he has to go up "against" has to be a bigger rear end in a top hat.

And even then, Peggy ruins it.

LadyPictureShow posted:

Justified it seemed fun, but I petered out quick; it felt a lot like a procedural and it just didn't land with me.

As Nero Danced posted:

Agreed, season 1 is very slow and takes its time, most of the first season is establishing who the rest of the characters in the marshal's office are. Once Boyd gets out of prison, it picks back up. Seasons 2-4 are phenomenal, season 5 is a bit of a dud (Elmore Leonard, the writer, died and sucked the window out of the sails, I'd almost say you can skip this season entirely), and season 6 is a return to form.

As others said, S5 is bad by Justified standards, but sets up the great run to the finish in S6. Still, you might be able to skip it.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

CBJSprague24 posted:

I'm surprised as many people listed some of the shows I did in the OP. I figured I was the only one for many of them.

One that I stuck with to the end (all eight episodes) but probably should've been fodder for this thread: Allen Gregory. Holy gently caress, what an awful pile of crap. I'd like to know what Jonah Hill had pictures of Rupert Murdoch sodomizing to get shitheap green-lit.

I don't think I've ever watched a show where I hated virtually every single main character, but 8-year old repugnant, spoiled poo poo who is some combination of rapey and probably gay; his repugnant, spoiled poo poo gay father; his other dad who broke up his old family to be Gay for Pay to gold-dig off his new husband :wtc:. I ended up sticking with it just to hatewatch and post in the thread.

Allen Gregory was seven episodes, not eight. The only characters I can think of that weren't absolutely terrible people are Julie and maybe that redhead kid.

You could just tell how proud Jonah Hill was of the show too, despite the fact that it was painfully unfunny, uninteresting, self-indulgent, and ugly. It seemed like it was based around a Saturday Night Live character from a deleted scene or something. Allen's crush on the principal was especially cringeworthy -- not because an eight-year old with a crush on an old lady is eeeewww grooooss lmao, but for a few reasons:

1) A child developing a crush on an authority figure, no matter how that authority figure looks, is 100% normal & unworthy of note.
2) A child developing an aggressively sexual crush on anyone is (iirc) a sign that they've been molested (correct me if I'm wrong), which is not in any way funny.

The thread was fun though. :)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

YeahTubaMike posted:

2) A child developing an aggressively sexual crush on anyone is (iirc) a sign that they've been molested (correct me if I'm wrong), which is not in any way funny.

um

why did you bring this up

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

YeahTubaMike posted:

Allen Gregory was seven episodes, not eight. The only characters I can think of that weren't absolutely terrible people are Julie and maybe that redhead kid.

You could just tell how proud Jonah Hill was of the show too, despite the fact that it was painfully unfunny, uninteresting, self-indulgent, and ugly. It seemed like it was based around a Saturday Night Live character from a deleted scene or something. Allen's crush on the principal was especially cringeworthy -- not because an eight-year old with a crush on an old lady is eeeewww grooooss lmao, but for a few reasons:

1) A child developing a crush on an authority figure, no matter how that authority figure looks, is 100% normal & unworthy of note.

The thread was fun though. :)

Even Julie was ruined by the end of the run. Since that show, I will not watch anything with Hill in it.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Escobarbarian posted:

um

why did you bring this up

Because it was a reason that his crush on the principal was offputting & creepy rather than comically lightheartedly gross like the show thought it was. I can edit it out or spoil it or something though, I was just trying to make a point.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Even Julie was ruined by the end of the run. Since that show, I will not watch anything with Hill in it.

What happened to Julie? It's been 10+ years since I last saw the show.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

YeahTubaMike posted:

What happened to Julie? It's been 10+ years since I last saw the show.

At one point she succumbed to Allen's "charms" and did/said something horrible. I don't recall exactly. I know I posted about it in the hatewatch thread.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

YeahTubaMike posted:

Because it was a reason that his crush on the principal was offputting & creepy rather than comically lightheartedly gross like the show thought it was. I can edit it out or spoil it or something though, I was just trying to make a point.

But like

Did you think that was intentional? Do you think that’s what the joke was meant to be? Cos otherwise you’ve just kind of brought up a weird thing with only a tangential connection

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

davecrazy posted:

I can’t be bothered to finish Ozark. I just don’t care anymore.

I enjoyed S1 of Ozark quite a bit, watched maybe 2 episodes of S2 and was like "yeah that's enough".

No matter how much acclaim the rest of the series got I just never felt the need to pick it up, can't put my finger on why though.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I also quit Archer but way before everyone else I guess. I'm learning new things about it through this thread like a coma season? Space?

For me the show just stopped being funny and well yeah, all good things must come to an end

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It's just so much yelling, I also dipped before coma whatever seasons. if i see a random episode, it's fine, but it's a really horrible show to watch in a row. i think that's the only coach mcguirk character I get burned out on fast.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Mister Kingdom posted:

At one point she succumbed to Allen's "charms" and did/said something horrible. I don't recall exactly. I know I posted about it in the hatewatch thread.

"Charms"? What charms?

Also, I'd love a link to that thread. A jog down memory lane would be nice.

Escobarbarian posted:

But like

Did you think that was intentional?

Do you think that’s what the joke was meant to be? Cos otherwise you’ve just kind of brought up a weird thing with only a tangential connection

Maybe I phrased it weirdly or structured my post in a way that didn't make sense, but I'll try to clarify.

I think that "little boy has crush on old lady" was the joke in and of itself. I think that joke isn't funny because the premise is boring on one hand & extremely disturbing on the other.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I also quit Archer but way before everyone else I guess. I'm learning new things about it through this thread like a coma season? Space?

For me the show just stopped being funny and well yeah, all good things must come to an end

Basically at the end of season 7 Archer got shot and went into a coma. They then spent 3 seasons with the characters in other settings, one of them in space before he woke up.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Even when I liked the show I felt like Ozark was overrated. The characters are one note and corny as hell. The poppy field old people are some of the dumbest, most unbelievable characters I have ever seen. Everyone swoons over Ruth and while she's probably the least awful character on the show her accent is embarrassingly bad and makes me cringe when I hear it. The main family sucks. They are awful but in a way that isn't that interesting. Ruths family sucks and are all barely characters.

The whole thing felt like Breaking Bad but not really pulling it off. it's like if the Sons of Anarchy guy did BB or something.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It was massively overrated. It was never a quality show at all, it was just kind of compulsively watchable despite being totally average. Probably cos of the performances.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

It was massively overrated. It was never a quality show at all, it was just kind of compulsively watchable despite being totally average. Probably cos of the performances.

but enough about The Umbrella Academy

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That’s totally incorrect!!!!! Season 1 wasn’t average it was actively loving terrible

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
I can barely manage to make it through four seasons of anything. I think I gave up on justified midway through season 3, it was still good but the formula lost me.

Community had two good seasons and that was it for me. Sitcoms in generally have a limited shelf life for me but the characters really stopped feeling like humans by the end of season 2.

I am two episodes away from finishing the expanse. Season five of the Americans has stalled out for me as well. It’s still good but it’s so drat slow so far. Paige is such an infuriating character

How I met your mother ended so badly that it made me retroactively hate the entire series.

Bismack Billabongo fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jun 23, 2022

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
I could never get through a whole episode of How I Met Your Mother because Neil Patrick Harris's character was so unbelievably annoying and absolutely nothing else in the show made enduring him worth it.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
The last season makes me wish I stopped watching earlier. It might be one of the worst endings. Ozark really is just a Breaking Bad knock off.

Feels like a show that was written by an AI program based off the gritty dramas from the past decade.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Now that I think about it, I streamed all of Resident Alien season 1 after it aired. Maybe that's my problem?

Solidarity to all L O S T quitters though. It was a good choice to give up on that one.

Also I just remembered giving up on Leverage, both original flavor and sequel series. It hit a point where everything was so over the top and contrived I couldn't take it.

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!

ninjahedgehog posted:

Strongly recommend giving this one another shot, the procedural stuff only lasts 5 or 6 episodes before it finds its groove in long-form character work

That's good to hear. I tried starting it about a month ago and got to episode 4 or 5 before giving up because it seemed very formulaic. I will give it another chance.

Sash! posted:

Cotton Hill is a war hero. He killed fiddy men.

I love this post.

Recently for me, it was Madmen. I finally gave this show a shot and really enjoyed the first three seasons (outside of Don's secret life, I never gave a poo poo about it). Then the fourth season started and I just suddenly could care less. It really hit me when Betty was making out with her new husband in the front sit of there car while parked in the garage and my first thought was, "I really hope these two die from carbon monoxide poisoning". Then I just dropped the show.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That’s a shame. Seasons 4 and 5 are the peak of the show!

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Escobarbarian posted:

The performances felt really... typical though? Bateman or Laura Dern especially weren't really doing anything revolutionary or even novel considering their careers.

Which is fine not every show has to reinvent the formula but it didn't help matters.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Mad Men had a habit of getting rid of characters that were 100% more interesting than Don and others. Sal and Lane get the shaft but boring rear end Harry Crane gets 7 seasons? By the end the only person I cared about was Pete

np19
Dec 25, 2016

banned from Starbucks posted:

Mad Men had a habit of getting rid of characters that were 100% more interesting than Don and others. Sal and Lane get the shaft but boring rear end Harry Crane gets 7 seasons? By the end the only person I cared about was Pete

Oh my God, this is totally right.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

banned from Starbucks posted:

Sal ... get the shaft

:monocle:

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I guess this kind of fits the thread but it's more of a question. I remember liking S1 of Person of Interest but didn't stick with it past the Christmas break after the first handful of episodes. I remember getting impatient with the lack of serialization between episodes in the arching plot, and then life got busy and I never went back. I know it gets way more serialized later on, but does its ending stick the landing? I was thinking of going back to it at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That one is hard to recommend because while it was good behind the scenes stuff came out talking about how Jim Caviezel is a complete nutjob who was terrible to everyone on set.