Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
Walking Dead - Stopped after Beth's bizarre death where out of nowhere she stabbed someone who then shot her. What the gently caress was that, seriously?

Heroes - I watched far too much of this show. It was obvious there was no plan, with individual writers just doing their own thing. I have no idea why I watched so much of it, except I really wanted it to be good.

Supernatural - I watched season 6 and a bit of 7 before stopping because the writing was just getting weird and it's difficult to raise the stakes beyond cancelling the apocalypse. I was blown away when I found out there were 15 seasons before it stopped. At least the first five seasons work well enough on their own.

Doctor Who - I grew up with the rebooted version and loved it. I stopped a bit into Peter Capaldi's run because I just wasn't interested anymore and was starting to see some quite glaring flaws in production and writing. I'm fairly certain if I went back and rewatched all of the old episodes I'd find the same flaws, so I think it's best if I kept my childhood memories of them.

Westworld - I decided that the first season was great on its own and didn't need any more elaboration. Judging by reviews of the subsequent seasons, I think I made the right choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

RestingB1tchFace posted:

South Park - A long time ago....probably around season 11 or 12. When every episode needed a social commentary....I felt that the quality suffered. Favorite episode is....and always will be 'Asspen'.

Futurama - After the first full CC season....I never fully got back on board. Still to this day....cannot figure out how the writing went from 'best animated show of all time' to 'mostly mediocre'. Planning to get back to it and make sure I watch all the episodes before the new ones start. Quietly confident that they'll enlist some good writers to bring back what the CC run was missing.

The Walking Dead - I want to meet the freaks who watched this religiously all the way through. Appointment viewing from start to finish. Nah....I'm just playing. Not sure where I left off. At the start of the pandemic I actually caught up on a few seasons. May someday try and finish the remainder. This was just milked way too hard for way too long. Showrunners would have done way better by bringing it to a conclusion much earlier.....before starting a spinoff. Maybe would have kept some fans on board that way.

I see a lot of Arrested Development. Did ANYONE think that season 5 was a big step up from season 4? I think everyone agrees that the Netflix seasons weren't very good. Specifically that first Netflix season which was a clear issue. But I happened to think that season 5 was closer to season 3 (good) quality than it was to season 4 (bad). I can't remember now. Maybe I was drunk.

I thought Season 5 was an improvement. I think part of that is just because the Bluths together are inherently better than the Bluths apart. Change nothing else in the formula but that and it's already a big step up.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Futurama - After the first full CC season....I never fully got back on board. Still to this day....cannot figure out how the writing went from 'best animated show of all time' to 'mostly mediocre'. Planning to get back to it and make sure I watch all the episodes before the new ones start. Quietly confident that they'll enlist some good writers to bring back what the CC run was missing.

I rewatched the original seasons lately and it was... okay. The later season are definitely worse but, outside some gems, the original Fox seasons wasn't as funny/good as I remembered it being.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Plucky Brit posted:

Walking Dead - Stopped after Beth's bizarre death where out of nowhere she stabbed someone who then shot her. What the gently caress was that, seriously?

This is also where I stopped, but because the official Walking Dead Facebook page spoiled Beth's death 30 minutes after the episode came out.

Way to go social media team!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!

Joe Chill posted:

I rewatched the original seasons lately and it was... okay. The later season are definitely worse but, outside some gems, the original Fox seasons wasn't as funny/good as I remembered it being.

In particular, when they started focusing on Fry pursuing Leela. I know they were going for the sappy "hopeless loser wins the heart of the woman he loves, in spite of his flaws" trope, but in modern context it's more like "clueless moron keeps harassing his co-worker".

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

iZombie I started a rewatch of it, and recently reached season 4. Now I remember why I stopped watching in the first place. It started taking itself way too seriously which ruined what made the show work. Also, they started going way overboard with Liv Moore's personality changes. She basically becomes a completely different character, and one that is extremely annoying to everybody too.

The Flash I really enjoyed the first season of the show, but the second season kept on doing crossover episodes with the characters from Arrow. I did not like Arrow, and have no interest in watching it. However the show expects you to know and care about the characters from Arrow. The time travel fuckery at the end of the season made me give up.

Stargate SG-1 The Ori were just the Goa'uld all over again. The franchise needed to break the status quo and have aliens revealed to the world at large. This was apparently the plan with the Atlantis movie, but sadly it never happened.

Resident Alien I also bailed on the second season. I really could not give a poo poo about yet another cliche plot about somebody running for mayor. Show decided it was much more interested in its side characters instead of its main premise.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Joe Chill posted:

I can still toss on just about any random episode from the original run and enjoy it. Think it tops the highs of 'The Simpsons'. No animated show is funnier than 'The Life and Times of Tim'....however.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Sydney Bottocks posted:

In particular, when they started focusing on Fry pursuing Leela. I know they were going for the sappy "hopeless loser wins the heart of the woman he loves, in spite of his flaws" trope, but in modern context it's more like "clueless moron keeps harassing his co-worker".

There are definitely episodes where Fry and Leela were the 'A' or 'B' story (Parasites Lost, Time Keeps on Slipping, The Sting, The Devil's Hand are Idle Playthings, etc....)....but I don't think it was ever the main focus of the show.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

The Boys -- I finished season 1 but felt absolutely no drive to keep going. Was it just the grinding joylessness? Is it another symptom of cape fatigue? I dunno.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013
Battlestar Galactica - Started watching this with a friend back in early 2019 and binged through the first couple of seasons pretty quickly. He said he wanted to take a break from it at one point, then a month or so later we watched a few episodes and haven't got back to it since. Me and him don't hang out as much anymore and the main thing keeping me watching it was experiencing it with him. I don't feel a drive to finish it one little bit and since he hasn't brought it up, I doubt I'll ever get back to it.

Criminal Minds - I watched all of it when it was added to Netflix way back when, then the next few seasons whenever they were added a month or so later. Even by then I was starting to feel burn out with it. I did watch season ten when it was added, and a few episodes of season 11, but I haven't even thought of coming back to it since then. Which is kind of a shame since that was right before all the cast change drama happened, although I'm sure in show it was a great big nothing burger each time. I think I just outgrew procedural shows, which I was never all that into outside of this one anyways.

BoJack Horseman - I stopped after season four. I had so much fun watching this during its run, but my own life got kinda hosed not long after this season, and it still hasn't fully recovered. As a result I just kinda lost the desire to keep watching because holy gently caress could this show gut punch me hard. Four was a sort of positive ending, so for now I'm choosing to believe that's how the show ended. Maybe once I'm feeling better about things I'll come back to it.

Shameless - I loved this show, but the last couple of seasons just felt like a slog to get through. In the advertising for the last season it seemed like the 'vid was a big plot element, and I really didn't feel like being reminded of it in my escapism. I mean good on them for tackling it, just wasn't something I felt like seeing at the time, and I've yet to feel the need to finish this show.

Archer - I used to watch the seasons right after they were added to Netflix. After the fifth one though, I just got tired of the jokes and the characters. I don't even know if I tried to watch the sixth season when it was added.

South Park - Same as the above, whenever new episodes got added to Netflix I'd watch. Then after season 15 they got removed, and I didn't feel compelled to catch them every week. I dunno, the last couple that I saw just seemed kinda bland. I did catch a few season 16 episodes but haven't tuned in to a new South Park episode in... gosh, ten years probably. I might get around to watching the post 15 episodes one day, recently watched a bunch of the old stuff with my wife and had a pretty good time.

Obligatory The Simpsons and Family Guy entry - Used to watch these every week but haven't since 2009. I would tune in for the occasional gimmick Simpsons episode (Halloween specials, that LEGO one, Clown in the Dumps, Future Christmas episode, Futurama crossover) but eventually I didn't even bother for those. With Family Guy, I'd catch them when they were added to Netflix, but one day I got about six episodes into a season and realized I hadn't enjoyed anything and decided to stop. Never went back after that. Last year I watched a handful of episodes aired since I quit watching, mostly their anthology ones, and they were okay but not enough to draw me back in. I even tried watching the old ones but even those I didn't enjoy as much as I once did.

American Dad - I actually remember still enjoying this when I stopped, I think I was just burned out on it. Even so, I haven't watched an episode since... 2013, 14? Somewhere in that area, it was around when they switched to TBS.

Arrested Development - I didn't watch this show until, you guessed it, I saw it on Netflix. This was just a couple of months before the fourth season dropped. I loved every second of it. Then the fourth season happened and... I liked it well enough, I guess. I remember thinking it could have been better but regardless was excited for another season. Then it didn't happen for a few years and in that time I think I lost my interest for this show. I might come back to it one day just to say I finished all of it, but who knows.

True Blood - Watched the first three seasons, decided I'd had enough at that point. This was over a decade ago now, doubt I'll ever feel the need to return to it.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Super late replies, but

RestingB1tchFace posted:

The Susan Boyle parody episode remains one of the worst episodes of TV I've ever seen, and I've seen every episode of Allen Gregory.

Joe Chill posted:

I've felt the same way every time I've caught a Futurama rerun on FXX or whatever, and it makes me wonder if Futurama is one of those shows that has a bunch of really funny bits scattered across many episodes rather than funny episodes.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

And also "beautiful woman with low self-esteem from having been made fun of about her appearance doesn't realize she's out of clueless moron's league". She did gently caress Zapp Brannigan after all, and she almost married Alcazar.

RestingB1tchFace posted:

There are definitely episodes where Fry and Leela were the 'A' or 'B' story (Parasites Lost, Time Keeps on Slipping, The Sting, The Devil's Hand are Idle Playthings, etc....)....but I don't think it was ever the main focus of the show.

The original run of the show was good despite the Fry/Leela stuff imho, kind of like The Office was good despite Jim/Pam (although at least Jim & Pam made sense together).

Non-old reply incoming

JaddaCaddra posted:

BoJack Horseman - I stopped after season four. I had so much fun watching this during its run, but my own life got kinda hosed not long after this season, and it still hasn't fully recovered. As a result I just kinda lost the desire to keep watching because holy gently caress could this show gut punch me hard. Four was a sort of positive ending, so for now I'm choosing to believe that's how the show ended. Maybe once I'm feeling better about things I'll come back to it.

American Dad - I actually remember still enjoying this when I stopped, I think I was just burned out on it. Even so, I haven't watched an episode since... 2013, 14? Somewhere in that area, it was around when they switched to TBS.

1) BoJack Horseman got overly self-serious imho, although I'm not quite sure when it happened. Lots of lines felt like they were written to be quotable & "deep" instead of actually contributing to the plots, and it start boring me.
2) I can feel myself fading away from the show, which is weird because I don't even dislike it. It's just kind of like...not a big deal anymore. An increasingly smaller deal, I guess, if not actually small yet. I'm overthinking this for sure.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Futurama saddens me because I loved the original run enough to run a website about it. Then it kept coming back, and each time it was that bit more lazy and sloppy and dead behind the eyes. That it occasionally hit an episode out of the park before dropping back into modern Simpsons mode just made it all the more depressing. :smith:

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

veni veni veni posted:

I always thought Bones sucked but NGL now I kind of want to watch it.

Same I've never seen Bones but "hacking a literal bone by writing code on it" made me laugh until I coughed

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

YeahTubaMike posted:

I've felt the same way every time I've caught a Futurama rerun on FXX or whatever, and it makes me wonder if Futurama is one of those shows that has a bunch of really funny bits scattered across many episodes rather than funny episodes.

I admit that Futurama just appeals to my sensibilities, but it's got some flat out fantastic episodes. If your not a fan, I can appreciate that, but their best episodes are so densely packed with good joke writing that they're three gags deep while you're still unpacking the first one.

Off the top of my head, I'd say A Head in the Polls, Where No Fan Has Gone Before, and Roswell That Ends Well are three excellent examples of TV comedy done right, and they stand toe to toe with peak classic Simpsons in my opinion. The Comedy Central episodes pretty consistently range from decent to poor, but there are a few stand outs, like the time machine episode.

I'm not expecting much from the Hulu episodes, but the Beavis and Butt-Head reboot was a happy surprise so I'll be happy to be proven wrong.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
I'm probably sounding overly edgy for such a recent show but The Last of Us - I'm really kind of bored here. I have no interest in these post-apocalypto "wouldn't it be fun if we were all libertarians" things anymore after TWD. I watched unenthusiastically until episode 3, then Bill and Frank were the best thing I've seen on TV in years. Made me want to hang on. Nothing reached that E03 peak. I watched the penultimate episode which ended with this stupid cannibal thing and I've no interest in finishing the season out or picking up the second.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Bedshaped posted:

I'm probably sounding overly edgy for such a recent show but The Last of Us - I'm really kind of bored here. I have no interest in these post-apocalypto "wouldn't it be fun if we were all libertarians" things anymore after TWD.

The most successful community in the Last of Us is explicitly communist though?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

DangerDummy! posted:

I admit that Futurama just appeals to my sensibilities, but it's got some flat out fantastic episodes. If your not a fan, I can appreciate that, but their best episodes are so densely packed with good joke writing that they're three gags deep while you're still unpacking the first one.

Off the top of my head, I'd say A Head in the Polls, Where No Fan Has Gone Before, and Roswell That Ends Well are three excellent examples of TV comedy done right, and they stand toe to toe with peak classic Simpsons in my opinion.

I'm sure that's true, and I will readily admit that 1) I'm pretty sure none of the episodes you named were episodes I've re-seen in FXX reruns, and 2) Roswell That Ends Well (the only one you named that I fully remember off the top of my head) is incredible. :haw:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
The Futurama revival was mostly not as good, but Murder on the Planet Express is one of my favorite episodes of the entire series.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

For that matter pre second cancelation Family Guy was also funny as hell, and then went off a cliff when it was revived

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

I grew up on the Tom Baker era Doctor Who and had a great fondness for the character and the show. I enjoyed the revival even though it was a mix of great and awful until Mark Gatiss took over as producer. The writing and the direction of the character was a train wreck which sucks because Jodie Whitacker was giving it her best. I haven't watched her second series and probably never will.

E: Sorry, Chibnall.

Darth Brooks fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Apr 3, 2023

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Feldegast42 posted:

For that matter pre second cancelation Family Guy was also funny as hell, and then went off a cliff when it was revived

I've heard people say this.

Did the quality really decrease or did its original audience just grow out of the show's type of humor? I'd say the latter applies to me. I feel the same about Workaholics.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Nah seasons 1-3 are, while absolutely a product of their time, really funny and clever in a way the show never reached again when it returned in 2005.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Yeah the first three seasons were funny as hell. Wildly popular on DVD too which is why it popped up on Adult Swim and was soon revived. It came back bad.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Darth Brooks posted:

I grew up on the Tom Baker era Doctor Who and had a great fondness for the character and the show. I enjoyed the revival even though it was a mix of great and awful until Mark Gatiss took over as producer. The writing and the direction of the character was a train wreck which sucks because Jodie Whitacker was giving it her best. I haven't watched her second series and probably never will.

As a lifelong fan of Who, I can certainly say there were worse seasons in the classic run, but nothing has impacted my enjoyment of the show quite like Chibnall's awful run (not Mark Gatiss! He stuck with Moffat and made that awful Dracula series instead!) which absolutely wasted Jodie Whittaker. I'm glad he wrapped up his run in about as good a way as he seemed capable of and actually gave her something to work with in her final scenes, but man wish she'd stuck around so she could get a chance to play the character with somebody else running the show.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Jodie’s second season taught me that the only thing worse than Moffat is Chibnall desperately trying to be Moffat

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Feldegast42 posted:

Family Guy wasn't cancelled twice, though?

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

Bedshaped posted:

I'm probably sounding overly edgy for such a recent show but The Last of Us - I'm really kind of bored here. I have no interest in these post-apocalypto "wouldn't it be fun if we were all libertarians" things anymore after TWD. I watched unenthusiastically until episode 3, then Bill and Frank were the best thing I've seen on TV in years. Made me want to hang on. Nothing reached that E03 peak. I watched the penultimate episode which ended with this stupid cannibal thing and I've no interest in finishing the season out or picking up the second.

I am very much with you but watched all of it and actually found the last episode relieved a lot of the frustrations I had with the series.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Timby posted:

Family Guy wasn't cancelled twice, though?

Kind of, it was actually announced canceled at the end of season 2 but then Fox changed its mind and ordered a 3rd season at the last minute. Then it got its second cancelation after that 3rd season and sat on Adult Swim for a few years before it got revived.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Darth Brooks posted:

Yeah same, I grew up watching Doctor Who on Sunday afternoons when PBS would show it all afternoon. I made it all the way to the farewell eps of Whitaker's run but couldn't get through it. Even with some of the old actors reprising their roles I just had to admit there wasn't anything I thought was good about it any more (save that I thought Whitaker was still doing her best) and it just felt like a parody of the show I used to love, and not even really an affectionate one.

I might dip back in when they're done the nonsense with David Tennant coming back, but I'm not real optimistic. I think it might just not be for me any more.

To add my own, I really dug the Arrowverse shows when they started up: I thought Arrow was genuinely good and that first season of Flash was great. I thought they hit a home run casting Supergirl and its first season was very good as well. While I did hang in all the way through Arrow, I ditched Flash and Supergirl before they were done. You expect a certain level of goofiness with superhero shows and I don't need or want to be intellectually challenged by everything I watch or read, but I also don't enjoy sitting there feeling like I'm an idiot for watching it. It's a shame, that brief window when there were several fun superhero shows on every week was pretty rad!

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Escobarbarian posted:

Nah seasons 1-3 are, while absolutely a product of their time, really funny and clever in a way the show never reached again when it returned in 2005.
Season 3 was when I felt they did more contemporary and character-based jokes, albeit mainly through cutaways, but then when they came back for Season 4, it was back to the 80s cutaways that defined Seasons 1-2

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

South Park has found its way off my original list thanks to this season, which is more of a return to the old days.

I did notice that the writing got lazy at one point. The Cissy had a line about "he has us in a checkmate/it's more like a Royal Flush" in an episode about unisex bathrooms which felt very Simpsons-esque, as did Lil Kim being a judge in the You Got Served parody being a literal tiny woman.

Randallteal posted:

Just remembered one: US House of Cards -- I watched three seasons but could have stopped after one. Dumber and meaner than the British original, but also embarrassingly self serious. You can tell they liked the idea of having an antihero lead break the fourth wall and implicate the viewer in his misdeeds, but they forgot about (or weren't capable of) making him witty and charming first. As a political thriller it became tedious very quickly because of the lack of believable opposition or danger for the main character.

Everything did come ridiculously easy for Frank. It seemed like everyone or everything that could stand in his way was met with threats leading to "Well, I guess I'll be off then, have a nice day".

YeahTubaMike posted:

The Susan Boyle parody episode remains one of the worst episodes of TV I've ever seen, and I've seen every episode of Allen Gregory.

Dear, sweet baby Jesus, was that show awful. I think it's the only thing I've purely hatewatched.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Apr 3, 2023

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Payndz posted:

Futurama saddens me because I loved the original run enough to run a website about it. Then it kept coming back, and each time it was that bit more lazy and sloppy and dead behind the eyes. That it occasionally hit an episode out of the park before dropping back into modern Simpsons mode just made it all the more depressing. :smith:

I was on a Futurama fan community website once upon a time.

DangerDummy! posted:

Off the top of my head, I'd say A Head in the Polls, Where No Fan Has Gone Before, and Roswell That Ends Well are three excellent examples of TV comedy done right, and they stand toe to toe with peak classic Simpsons in my opinion. The Comedy Central episodes pretty consistently range from decent to poor, but there are a few stand outs, like the time machine episode.

I'm not expecting much from the Hulu episodes, but the Beavis and Butt-Head reboot was a happy surprise so I'll be happy to be proven wrong.

Perfectly said on both. 'Luck of the Fryish' is probably my favorite episode of any television show ever, btw.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I stopped watching South Park at the end of season 22 and just recently picked up where I left off.

It's funny watching the COVID stuff now.

However, I got sick of the Tegridy poo poo after two episodes. I guess it would have been more enjoyable if I smoked pot, maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

I'm too old to bury my son!

Mister Kingdom posted:

However, I got sick of the Tegridy poo poo after two episodes. I guess it would have been more enjoyable if I smoked pot, maybe.

no, if anything it's worse. You know like how you see a show about your job and you're like, wtf is this poo poo?!