Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I'll be there soon too. Posting since i was a preteen lmbo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
What was it like to post on 9/11?

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

If you don't think people willing to spend :10bux: on an internet forum would be amenable to threads about computers with RGB lighting then I dunno what to tell ya

It's hilarious to me that one of the big selling points for PCs these days is literally 'lights wooooooooo! lights!'. not that I'm judging, I have the brain of a budgerigar

I'll be completely honest - I had never really messed with that sort of thing before, although I've always built my own PC. Its dumb, I'm a middle aged person, but I saw an opportunity for my PC to look like a set piece from ST TNG and I went for it.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

The Walrus posted:

I'll be there soon too. Posting since i was a preteen lmbo.

:hfive: I was 19 or maybe 20 when I first found the forums... I wasn't the youngest person on the forum by any stretch either. :10bux: seems to have really cut off anyone <18 though

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Asteroid Alert posted:

Really weird. I was awoken by my roommate around 6am after the first plane hit and I was like ":wtf: I'm trying to sleep here I don't care about an air traffic controller accident" and while he was shouting through the door he said "oh poo poo a second plane hit the towers!" I was supposed to drive down to San Francisco for a work meeting that day, which was canceled almost immediately after the 2nd plane hit. IIRC there was a scare in San Francisco for that entire week that someone would release poison gas.

With nothing left to do, and being that dumb Gen X kid* who had a fat internet connection but no television, I came to the forums. I'm not sure the forum had bifurcated yet?

Pages and pages of "holy gently caress" and "lol". Proto-LFers explaining how Osama Bin Laden had tried before in the 90s. Reposts of a twin-towers-on-fire pic with photoshopped Counterstrike text of Osama Bin Laden headshotting the United States on top. Rating the form on the people jumping off the towers. In retrospect it may have seemed insane and cruel, but it was a bunch of coddled internet kids losing their minds as the unthinkable happened. :lol: Narrator voice - that was the first in a long and unbroken chain of unthinkables :lol:

IIRC there was a relatively popular user who was named Osama Bin Laden as a joke (maybe a mod?), and they instantly changed their name (or had it changed) to CgiBinLaden? I don't see anything in SAclopedia so I'm not 100% thats correct.

*I was 21 turning 22 in a month

EDIT not perfectly clear what time my roommate woke me up, it was extremely early in California time dont @ me

DOUBLE EDIT I have no way to verify this or back up any sort of claim whatsoever, but I seem to remember the Al Gore vs Dubya thread with the brooks brother riots and the hanging chad poo poo in Florida was a way bigger deal on the forums. There were a lotta :shrug: "I live in California and I dont loving care" :shrug: posts about 9/11... I think a few proto-LF types were predicting war with Afghanistan, and maaaaaaaaaaybe 1-2 Nostradamus were predicting the war with Iraq (because of the assassination attempt on Pappy Bush in 1998) but nobody had any idea it was going to be jingoistic foreverwar. Dot-coms were still alive; I believe :yikeseroo: even worked for a tech company in Socal at the time. Gas was less than a dollar a gallon in California and it was (supposed to be) The End of History. Nobody knew loving poo poo.

Vampire Panties fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 19, 2022

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Vampire Panties posted:

Since COVID came down, I have exclusively worn Allbirds slip on shoes. If those fit your taste and budget I would highly recommend them!

thanks for the recommendation. slip ons are the way to go.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Vampire Panties posted:

My experience with/on the forums, and probably the larger internet in general, has solidified my personal belief that nobody in corporate America does anywhere near the actual amount of work anything thinks. Its kinda hosed up my career in ways and skewed me towards individual contributor roles because I can't lie convincingly enough that I believe the corporate horseshit.

EDIT

Also hella had my old jobs COO look over my shoulder while I was browsing the TG Warhams thread and was vaguely interested why I was looking at spacemans at work :shrug: I was out of real work to do? :shrug:

yes. it is extremely doable to have two full time jobs now as long as they are both remote. thank god for the plague

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Asteroid Alert posted:

Howard Stern stayed on the air.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Holy poo poo, I just missed my15 year anniversary.

Goonspeed, sa forums. I'm glad you're not (actually) dead, and am happy for you that you've come out as gay.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Oh hey, next month for me. I think I registered right before the paywall happened.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Holy poo poo, I just missed my15 year anniversary.

Goonspeed, sa forums. I'm glad you're not (actually) dead, and am happy for you that you've come out as gay.

lol, not dead?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Chief McHeath posted:

lol, not dead?

We're posting here aren't we?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
like.. I wouldn't want to own this site because I don't want it to grow. it's fine. just... keep people coming in at the same rate they leave and that's fine

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

The Walrus posted:

like.. I wouldn't want to own this site because I don't want it to grow. it's fine. just... keep people coming in at the same rate they leave and that's fine

I'm really curious how new people find SA forums.

Other than EVE online.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I think I actually found the forums via Boatmurdered of all places. And didn't register til 2010 because I was a poor kid.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua0U_LvfQBA

Notice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Vampire Panties posted:

I'm really curious how new people find SA forums.

Other than EVE online.

A goon says hey you'd fit in here! and indoctrinates a pubbie, generally you have to buy them an account as they will scoff at the :10bux:

Also people running small niche sites that check referrals, they see a bunch from somethingawful in a specific thread and sometimes go and check it out. I've seen devs pop up in all kinds of threads in games.