Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ah man I kind of like the a frame one, at least it's that shape for a reason, but I do want to know why it has a railway sleeper sized bannister rail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

DemonDarkhorse posted:

1. are those real trees whose tops are above ground?
2. its gotta be kinda musty what with all the humidity from the pools
3. what's stopping me from trying to run through the wall in a cocaine-induced delirium like wile e coyote?

No they covered the support beams to make them look like trees, those are holding the roof up.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I actually kinda like a lot of that, the geometry is stupid but like, it feels like they are actually going for something, and some of the rooms do look cool. Also I do like the big geometric paving outside.

It does look more like a hotel than a house though, but even then the rooms, while big, don't look anywhere near as bad as the gigantic box caverns with random windows glued on you get in a lot of the mcmansions. Actual floor to ceiling glazing with big curtain rails too. Also I do like the glass block walls.

I think most of my objection is the materials and colours in some of the rooms but yeah, I would probably enjoy staying there on holiday. Though I think some of the bathrooms are trying to kill the occupant such as the infinite sink dimension and the dark cavern of indeterminable reflective surfaces.

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 01:32 on Apr 20, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A frames are a legit style of building, been built for thousands of years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A-frame_building

they got popular in the 20th century cos you can also make them easily out of prefab parts.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

slothrop posted:

here, have a local place that someone discovered during lockdown and the whole state went *gasp*

https://www.kiis1011.com.au/lifestyle/real-estate-finance/modest-melbourne-house-listing-goes-viral-over-outrageous-interior/
I actually loving love that oh my god.

lovely bungalow that is decked out like the queen of sheba inside, genuinely amazing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The fact that it appears to have been built for that specific fridge but also about a foot too tall is a really nice touch.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

briefly got excited for the possibility that you could live inside the pediment but alas no it's just the perspective.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

good of the estate agent to photograph the siding at the exact time of day and year to really show off the warping.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

kidcoelacanth posted:

how do you post this and not the image of the hell attic

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yes but that house doesn't come with an ex husband.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would be very tempted to build a dais at one end and put a throne on it, light some braziers and chuck some dry ice into the pool so I could pretend to be a 80's adventure movie villain.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I'd love to have a cold cellar as part of my house, but that door needs some serious insulation.

When I was growing up, we had an area of the basement that was uninsulated and walled off from the rest. We kept oranges (bought in crates from the Lions Club) and potatoes there. If I had one now, I'd be storing onions and shallots as well.

I'm definitely decking it out like a crypt and sleeping in there in a coffin.

Nice and cool in the summer.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I like that it comes with the giant panoramic windows for contemplation of the heap of rocks.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Really want to know how the latch works.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's a dugout, though normally those are basically a buried log cabin and should have a turf roof, the flat top kind of ruins it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I like to think that the interior is legally located in maryland.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I like how the interior photos look like they have been run through a deep dream AI lol.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Perestroika posted:

Realtors just loving love to crank up the HDR on their photos. It can make rooms look overall brighter and better lit, but it's very easy to overdo and make things look weirdly surreal.

It's also just because it's so incredilbly busy, everything is textured.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Big fan of the non euclidean drop ceiling in the utility room.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I swear some of them eyes follow you round the room.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

No I think the wall of crypto tweets actually screams "I am a desperately lonely nerd who formerly had too much money and now have to sell my house because crypto died and I lost everything"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I am at a loss as to what the space with the super thick doors off the kitchen is for.

It has a million sockets and I assume the doors are for insulation, so like... a walk in fridge or prison cell for a thrash metal band?

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 23:02 on Dec 23, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Zil posted:

Why is it at an angle? Why is it not level?

matches everything else in the kitchen.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Big "look I cut the countertop like that and you can either pay for a new one or have it that way" energy.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fill the bottom with crash mats and that's a feature, but I am actually alot more concerned about the portal to the fluorescent light dimension that appears to be next to the first one..?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I like to imagine that the conversation pit is for working on conversations like the pit in a garage is for working on cars.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

that is the point of them, yeah - the idea is that by getting people seated together and facing each other, this encourages them to socialize

of course tables around a chair does the same thing and isn't a tripping hazard but still, conversation pits are cool

anyway here's a listing for yall

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5603-Winslow-Rd-Franklin-TN-37064/2060108262_zpid/

I mean literally in the sense that you can access the conversation undercarriage and replace conversation elements that are impossible to reach outside of the pit without a conversation jack.

Sirotan posted:

ngl I wish my house had a conversation pit. Feels so cozy and nice.

Would have to resist the urge to fill it with balls.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I like the addition of it being sold "where is" as if you could order it to go.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I can only assume it is some sort of version of a historical solar, it's not there for the view as much as it has a lot of light and seclusion from the rest of the building.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Laundry in the kitchen is very normal in the UK, it's odd that americans seem very set on having a separate room for them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean you do normally have to put it where there is a plumbing fixture unless you have my granny's old twin tub you had to empty with a siphon.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Zesty posted:

There's a lot going on even ignoring Taz.

Yeah, I loving love my spheroidal glass jar filled with a couple hundred pounds of polished rocks that's topped off with an oval bowl of more polished rocks. I'll get three extra, each girthier than the last.

Oh my mum had one of those jars they're cute, didn't fill it entirely with rocks though, just partly.

Trabant posted:

Knowing nothing about Liverpool (besides some band having come from there), I'm amazed at how cheap that place is.

as we pointed out in the UK thread when discussing the same thing, welcome to the north. I'm also frankly a bit surprised given it's in liverpool but the north is much cheaper than the south and all you have to put up with is industrial collapse and no jobs.

US equivalent I think is like, the rust belt or something.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I very much doubt that is a rifle given they are difficult to get a license for in the UK.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

shower prison

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There's a house I drive past sometimes that is presumably the old keeper's cottage for the cemetary it's in, it looks nice honestly, wouldn't mind living there but it's next to a main road.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Simsmagic posted:

Or the guy whose only entrance is either through someone else's room or the patio

They get the fireplace though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Spite-bulding around a landlord who wouldn't sell the land?

I bet they frequently have to replace those patio windows after a game.

The stadium was apparently rebuilt in the late 90's so it's possible they were both built at the same time looking at the similarity in the brickwork. That's a very late 90's looking block of flats.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brisbane_Road

It's in london so I assume that was just an attempt to squeeze every possible bit of use out of the land available, possibly to fund the construction of the stands.

For some people that would probably be a benefit honestly.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

love my liminal space mezzanine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's like darts, if you land directly in the coffin you get max points.