Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

euphronius posted:

are there other pages to the offer which say that ?

yes I think I remember that. it’s been a bit over two years though. I might have a copy of the full thing. here’s the thing they’re already being sued, I think that Seattle lawsuit is about this.

Bar Ran Dun has issued a correction as of 17:44 on Mar 19, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

euphronius posted:

it’s literally the phrasing. there is nothing in there saying it’s the monthly price. it says it’s the term price

Even in the one I cropped it says "at the above month-to-month rate" in the part you can see. When you sign the new lease its not going to be ambiguous.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the month to month language is in a different section (it appears to be the automatic renewal section ) compared to the the explicit term language

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

euphronius posted:

the month to month language is in a different section than the explicit term language

I just got an exact copy of this letter for my current lease (my last 3 leases have been from the same company lol they are a monopoly), so I accept your offer to represent me.

Actually funny story, I rented from random company A, they got bought by megacorp during my lease, then I rented from random company B, and they got bought by megacorp during my lease., and now I'm renting from megacorp at a 3rd property because that's all there is now.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

do not rely on my poo poo posts

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

euphronius posted:

the month to month language is in a different section (it appears to be the automatic renewal section ) compared to the the explicit term language

make sure to point out that the judge has a gold-fringed flag and you do not consent to admiralty law

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

euphronius posted:

are there other pages to the offer which say that ?

mate how old are you there’s not a single place in all of north america where rent is less than $10,000 a year.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

ehh the are some places. my parents site rent is like $450. It’s going to be all retirees or really truly in the middle of nowhere places.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Twerk from Home posted:

In 4 months the numbers will be completely different.

They are trying to have rental units come available at high-demand times and avoid rental units coming available during low-demand times. You can sidestep the whole system by choosing a long-ish term with a low-ish rate and then just paying to break the lease early, I got one of those when I knew I was moving out soon and it was dramatically cheaper to sign a 14-month lease and then break it 4 months in than it was to sign a 4 month lease, month to month, or 3 months +1 or something.

my previous landlord (not a mom n pop, company owning multiple 20+ unit buildings) had no provision for an early lease break. When I emailed them about it they just said “you signed a lease you have to stay/pay for the full term.” I had to call, at which point they said the same thing!

I explained in detail that there can be a mutually beneficial outcome where I pay a “fee” of less than the remained of my term, and they find a new tenant to occupy the unit and end up with more money overall. The person on the line seemed to “get it” and offered to call back. Next day they came back with their offer: I could leave for free.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

that was my superpower when I did LT law. I would call people and talk to them. amazing outcomes

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

cool av posted:

my previous landlord (not a mom n pop, company owning multiple 20+ unit buildings) had no provision for an early lease break. When I emailed them about it they just said “you signed a lease you have to stay/pay for the full term.” I had to call, at which point they said the same thing!

I explained in detail that there can be a mutually beneficial outcome where I pay a “fee” of less than the remained of my term, and they find a new tenant to occupy the unit and end up with more money overall. The person on the line seemed to “get it” and offered to call back. Next day they came back with their offer: I could leave for free.

You're lucky. I had a similar situation once when I abruptly had to change jobs and move, and was told to pay out the rest of the term plus a fee for vacating the unit early or expect a court summons. Wiped out my savings.

piss guzzler 420
Dec 25, 2022

i am harry posted:

mate how old are you there’s not a single place in all of north america where rent is less than $10,000 a year.

my rent is $9600 a year. checkmate lib

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Nothus posted:

You're lucky. I had a similar situation once when I abruptly had to change jobs and move, and was told to pay out the rest of the term plus a fee for vacating the unit early or expect a court summons. Wiped out my savings.

what the hell, are you obligated by the lease to sleep in the unit?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

euphronius posted:

that was my superpower when I did LT law. I would call people and talk to them. amazing outcomes

lmao my job right now is to tell slick lawyers over the phone that they, yes, still have to follow the law

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Nothus posted:

you sound like a rube??

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

i say swears online posted:

you sound like a rube??

Probably, but I had to change jobs and move out of state, and I didn't have the money for a lawyer

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
Theres a slim chance I might get my plumbing and electric in BEFORE my insulation im so psyched

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

War and Pieces posted:

Theres a slim chance I might get my plumbing and electric in BEFORE my insulation im so psyched

if Grover did not exist, we’d have to invent him

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Vomik posted:

if Grover did not exist, we’d have to invent him

How much did he buy his house for?

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

quote:

Ed Helms, who is retired, and his wife, Johnnie, moved to a gated North Georgia community that partially sits in both Dawson and Pickens counties after living in Panama City Beach, Florida.

The couple sought to leave Florida due to the threat of hurricanes, increased traffic congestion, and elevated costs, The Journal reported. And while Ed Helms has encountered new development in North Georgia, he told the newspaper that it still pales in comparison with the sort of growth that he witnessed in Florida.

"Our property insurance was going sky high," he said of Florida living. "We got tired of being unable to find a place to sit in restaurants."

Billy Thurmond, a county native and the chairman of the Dawson County Board of Commissioners, told The Journal that some recent arrivals now stop him to express their frustration over the sustained development.

"People who have moved here now want us to put up a gate and stop anybody else from moving here," he told the newspaper. "It doesn't work that way."

Moving to rural Georgia because you can't get a spot at Applebee's is a hell of a move. I swear these people never consider practical things like "access to quality healthcare" and just want chain restaurants and golf carts, also lol at pulling the ladder up behind them immediately after moving somewhere.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
conditioned all their life to be a good consumer so I wouldn’t expect less really.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
We like to joke that America was fine with 1m+ people dying due to covid because restaurants must stay open at any cost, but it's really not a joke.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Beached Whale posted:

Moving to rural Georgia because you can't get a spot at Applebee's is a hell of a move. I swear these people never consider practical things like "access to quality healthcare" and just want chain restaurants and golf carts, also lol at pulling the ladder up behind them immediately after moving somewhere.

I grew up a bit north of there. It used to be seriously bumfuck nowhere, but all the wineries and gated communities are turning it into a distant outgrowth of metro Atlanta. Gated communities in the mountains are so sad. You moved across the country to escape the city! Why are you still scared shitless?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Beached Whale posted:

Getting gentrified and not even getting a microbrew with a Biergarten out of it but a strip mall with a Chilis and an Applebee’s instead.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Beached Whale posted:

Snowbird brain is a hell of a thing and the people afflicted with it do not make smart decisions despite sometimes spending years anticipating and planning every last detail of their move. It's a group that already self selects for being so wildly bothered by cold weather and snow that they uproot their whole lives (and often gently caress up the lives of their families by constantly insisting that they visit) to move to one of the shittiest states in the country.

It's also a one-way trip for a lot of these people because they sell everything in their high CoL area to move to Florida, which makes doing the reverse completely impossible. As Florida gets even shittier and more unaffordable a lot of these people are going to keep chasing the dream in shittier and cheaper places.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

My mom's neighbors in her retirement neighborhood are snowbirds who never actually made the move. They bought the house and installed cameras all around it that they monitor remotely from New Jersey, and whenever someone lets their dog walk on their grass, they call the management company to complain.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
new frontiers in mental illness

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

my mom works in phoenix and my dad works on south padre so whenever I visit it's just a sea of golf carts with minnesota vikings flags. snowbirds are some of the most obnoxious people on the planet. interacting with them is such a chore

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

It's a very specific group of people who are totally unwilling to suffer any discomfort and who also have the means to move across the country to accomplish that. It's essentially impossible to be a snowbird and not be horrible.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

they're all morty seinfeld with a defective tip calculator

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Fitzy Fitz posted:

My mom's neighbors in her retirement neighborhood are snowbirds who never actually made the move. They bought the house and installed cameras all around it that they monitor remotely from New Jersey, and whenever someone lets their dog walk on their grass, they call the management company to complain.

why didn’t they move?

Jersey to Florida is a time honored tradition

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

My guess is ankle bracelet

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

It's essentially impossible to be a snowbird and not be horrible.

It used to be a very different vibe. I mean there was always a percentage that was terrible but now they’re all terrible. basically most of the good people got priced out. it used to be one could get a trailer for basically nothing and site rents were extremely low.

it was a doable thing on just social security even, which is wild now that I think back about it. As the prices went up and the WWII generation died off that all changed though. Here’s a way to explain it, 30-40 years ago it was closer to Nomadland and now the Villages is pretty representative. Even the places that had old trailers then, they still have a lot of those same old trailers (which are now ancient), they’re just 100-200,000 ( or more ) instead of a few grand.

Beached Whale
Jun 27, 2009

The world as will and idea

Paradoxish posted:

Snowbird brain is a hell of a thing and the people afflicted with it do not make smart decisions despite sometimes spending years anticipating and planning every last detail of their move. It's a group that already self selects for being so wildly bothered by cold weather and snow that they uproot their whole lives (and often gently caress up the lives of their families by constantly insisting that they visit) to move to one of the shittiest states in the country.

It's also a one-way trip for a lot of these people because they sell everything in their high CoL area to move to Florida, which makes doing the reverse completely impossible. As Florida gets even shittier and more unaffordable a lot of these people are going to keep chasing the dream in shittier and cheaper places.

I had a coworker move to Florida because she "hated the cold" and was convinced her kids who are barely scraping by would hop on a plane once a month to visit her. Two years later and she's grumbling that her ungrateful spawn haven't even visited her once and that she's lonely down there. Many such cases.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
My wife's grandmother used to vacation on Anna Maria Island (gulf coast) in the 1960s, had a beach house there that family shared. Now houses there are $2m+

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

if I could magically afford to move, magically transport my friends and family, and magically transport my job…

then yeah I’d actually prefer to live somewhere warmer. San Diego seems nice :)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

it was warm as poo poo in PA all winter this year hahahah. suckers

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

my friend's rich parents spend half the year in florida and make them visit with the grandkids every winter. it's a great way to build family resentment!

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

That's kind of the point, though. None of the people doing this can afford to do those things and a good portion can barely afford the move for themselves, which means the current crop (and really all the ones that have gone for the last several decades) of snowbirds are a highly specific group of people who are like "it's cold so gently caress everyone around me."

I know someone who moved back in with her parents to help care for her mom, and then 6ish years later they sold the house out from under her, moved to Florida, and were like "well you can come with us and sleep on the couch in this tiny condo if you want." Psychotic. My mom has a friend in her late 60s who abandoned her 80+ year old parents to a nursing home so she could move to Florida.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

My wife's grandmother used to vacation on Anna Maria Island (gulf coast) in the 1960s, had a beach house there that family shared. Now houses there are $2m+

The housing developments from Sarasota are almost all the way out to Myakka River State Park now.