Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Crusty Nutsack posted:

my friend's rich parents spend half the year in florida and make them visit with the grandkids every winter. it's a great way to build family resentment!

if your parents are rich you are also rich. you dont get to steal non rich valor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

mistermojo posted:

if your parents are rich you are also rich. you dont get to steal non rich valor

they charged their own kid interest on a loan

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

lol

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

kids are just capital if you do it right

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

Beached Whale posted:

Moving to rural Georgia because you can't get a spot at Applebee's is a hell of a move. I swear these people never consider practical things like "access to quality healthcare" and just want chain restaurants and golf carts, also lol at pulling the ladder up behind them immediately after moving somewhere.

This has been going on forever. People from Florida tend to retire "up in the mountains" which means north Georgia, west NC or east TN. My parents used to dream about doing this 30 years ago. If they can afford to hang on in Florida, they also tend to do the snowbird thing and go up for the summer. It's the same deal as people from the Northeast coming down here: lower CoL, cheaper property.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Crusty Nutsack posted:

well now they could use the grandkids to flip it on them and charge a visitation fee

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/936-Peermont-Ave_Pittsburgh_PA_15216_M48890-97696?from=srp-list-card

A friend of mine bought this place in 2002 for $88k, sold it in 2017 for $145K , and it's now on the market for $285k.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Crusty Nutsack posted:

sounds like he invested in his future op

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Paradoxish posted:

I know someone who moved back in with her parents to help care for her mom, and then 6ish years later they sold the house out from under her, moved to Florida, and were like "well you can come with us and sleep on the couch in this tiny condo if you want." Psychotic. My mom has a friend in her late 60s who abandoned her 80+ year old parents to a nursing home so she could move to Florida.
lmao

something's wrong with florida.... it really is a mecca for just the absolutely worst degenerates

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/936-Peermont-Ave_Pittsburgh_PA_15216_M48890-97696?from=srp-list-card

A friend of mine bought this place in 2002 for $88k, sold it in 2017 for $145K , and it's now on the market for $285k.

its beautiful. and outside my budget. i barely got mine for under 200k.

RadiRoot has issued a correction as of 03:25 on Mar 27, 2024

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

no toilet in the basement…?

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Xaris posted:

lmao

something's wrong with florida.... it really is a mecca for just the absolutely worst degenerates

Nobody will run the numbers, and NYC is going to go into the history books for the overhead shots of dead being mass-buried on Randalls Island, but the real covid pits were in Florida

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

This has been going on forever. People from Florida tend to retire "up in the mountains" which means north Georgia, west NC or east TN. My parents used to dream about doing this 30 years ago. If they can afford to hang on in Florida, they also tend to do the snowbird thing and go up for the summer. It's the same deal as people from the Northeast coming down here: lower CoL, cheaper property.

East TN seems red hot at the moment for chuds, both working and retired. Boomers love retiring around Gatlinburg, while Johnson City and Knoxville have become a draw for people my age who want to put down roots. Small town north GA was super cheap until very recently but that’s changing FAST. There were gross brand new subdivisions popping up in Canton left and right when I visited last year.

West NC is already too expensive and housing prices in Asheville have been bonkers since before Covid.

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

ProperGanderPusher posted:

East TN seems red hot at the moment for chuds, both working and retired. Boomers love retiring around Gatlinburg, while Johnson City and Knoxville have become a draw for people my age who want to put down roots. Small town north GA was super cheap until very recently but that’s changing FAST. There were gross brand new subdivisions popping up in Canton left and right when I visited last year.

West NC is already too expensive and housing prices in Asheville have been bonkers since before Covid.

Oh yeah I'm sure this is all true, and no doubt retirees from Florida are pushing a lot of the increases. Just to say that this isn't some kind of new thing, that the Florida retiree heading to southern Appalachia has been going on for many years.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/rohindhar/status/1773196079716077871

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

golden gate view is crazy nice (I know that is not the point of the x)

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lmao hell yeah. in texas the tax bill on a similarly-valued house would be roughly $200,000-$250,000/year. appropriate property taxes rule

Apr 7, 2003

lol that’s less than I pay. Amazing

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

that last column is prolly a year's worth of mortgage payments for a house that size on the beach in del mar.

edit: oh, sf "del mar" not the san diego one.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

The way Twitter crops it, it looked like a 800k house with 3k taxes, which is low, but not the spit-take when I opened the image.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

I'm more of an arts-n-crafts gal when it comes to architecture but dang, I can appreciate a beautiful mid-century when I see it.

lookit this bedroom:

and all for a mere $8 million.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i would live in the cave with my wife and the other couple in the bed next to us

edit that backyard is actually stunning

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
You could wave good night to PFC every night.

Apr 7, 2003

I live in a normal house, not a cave

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

:sound effects of thunder, organ crescendo, and the cackles of witches:

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

fuckin haunted rear end house

Apr 7, 2003

hell yeah

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

quit loving bragging. it's pretty rare to get a house by only having to sleep in it overnight

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)
house on haunted hill rear end poster

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Skeleton

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5yOvsl0ftQ

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

i say swears online posted:

quit loving bragging. it's pretty rare to get a house by only having to sleep in it overnight

TBF the will also specified no jacking off

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

War and Pieces posted:

TBF the will also specified no jacking off

no deal

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Lol a place a couple blocks from here that was listed at 1.35 in late 2022 and pulled off the market because it didn't sell just relisted at 1.8 and went pending in 2 days 💀

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

The Oldest Man posted:

Lol a place a couple blocks from here that was listed at 1.35 in late 2022 and pulled off the market because it didn't sell just relisted at 1.8 and went pending in 2 days 💀

1.8 hundred thousands huh? Not so bad.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

now this is a great house. and I mean that. https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/119-Wayzata-St-Saint-Paul-MN-55117/2141031_zpid/

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
it’s great to see nobody has painted over the wood trim

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

hey kitty

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003