Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

RC Cola posted:

I hear Pittsburgh is cheap and affordable

I can’t justify a bike that nice, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

So what is the market like around Pittsburg and how is the pizza?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

StashAugustine posted:

Man we've enough racist shitheads already, gently caress off
all the CAGOP boomers retiring out to idaho are still less racist than idahoians

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Shageletic posted:

Crazy to think that the US government at one point was so concerned about low home ownership rates that they bought 4 out of 5 homes and then sold it for a loss to middle class (mostly white) families.

Versus them doing.....absolutely nothing today

Think it's time to give Blackrock another tax cut

when was this, tell us more

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

actionjackson posted:

rich techies moving to sun valley i mean
ultra-luxury ski towns are not a representative sample of life in idaho. besides, didn’t Mr. Holland’s Opus’s Son move there are immediately hate it because weather, lack of dining options, lack of events, etc.?

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

TenementFunster posted:

ultra-luxury ski towns are not a representative sample of life in idaho. besides, didn’t Mr. Holland’s Opus’s Son move there are immediately hate it because weather, lack of dining options, lack of events, etc.?

I believe he objected to how long his Amazon packages took to arrive

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

I believe he objected to how long his Amazon packages took to arrive
lmfao that’s the one. i knew it was something lame, but drat that’s even lamer than i remember.

at least the bay area tech guy who moved to austin was upset at things that actually matter, such as a hollowed-out civil society, terrible weather, terrible schools, terrible food, and zero culture

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Twin Cities are pretty nice and there are affordable not-poo poo neighborhoods with good schools. Also the politics aren't completely awful because the outstate population is completely overwhelmed by the cities and the suburbs were generally repelled by Trump.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

19 o'clock posted:

I can’t justify a bike that nice, though.

yeah but imagine the size of your calves after about a year

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
gettin calf mogged in the housing market thread

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

If you're underpaid but have solid finances and maybe a dependent not generating income check to see if you have any Community Land Trusts in your area. They're income restricted permanently affordable houses with a lot of hoops to jump through but its a legit resource. The one in my area just builds new townhouses now https://www.villagegardenstownhomes.com/

ya the other thing to think about for those who don't mind living in rural areas is a USDA loan. Im not super familiar but you don't need ANY down payment and rates are often below-market. There are income limits and of course only rural properties qualify but still seems like a decent opportunity for some

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
buying a home without down payments is part of why house prices have escalated so much. small part but absolutely a part.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Ammanas posted:

buying a home without down payments is part of why house prices have escalated so much. small part but absolutely a part.

well, given that homes in all metropolitan areas and most suburbs don't qualify, and given that USDA loans account for <1-2% of all home sales, I don't think so. Unless by "small part" you mean "insignificant, impossible to measure, and not worth mentioning"

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Ammanas posted:

My loan officer was actively talking me out of 20% down. They kept insisting on 3.5% because the PMI would be so low it'd be better to save the rest of the down-payment for something else.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Lacrosse posted:

My loan officer was actively talking me out of 20% down. They kept insisting on 3.5% because the PMI would be so low it'd be better to save the rest of the down-payment for something else.

you can use that money to convert half of it into an AirBnB and get on that Side Hustle grindset #CEO #FIRE

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

mastershakeman posted:

no one does 20% down without a gift and it's annoying that people pretend it's a thing. you do 5% down and eat the $100 a month PMI, because housing inflation goes faster than being able to save

only second home buyers have to front 20% and the idea that you need 20% stops loads of people who [could afford] a house from even looking into it.
I ONLY knew about this because I asked my brother-in-law straight up what they paid to get into a $200,000 house almost a decade ago and his answer was $10k and I was like wtf I can get that

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

i am harry posted:

I ONLY knew about this because I asked my brother-in-law straight up what they paid to get into a $200,000 house almost a decade ago and his answer was $10k and I was like wtf I can get that

this

i never knew how little my friends were putting down until I started asking a couple years back. I’m a sucker.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

i am harry posted:

only second home buyers have to front 20% and the idea that you need 20% stops loads of people who [could afford] a house from even looking into it.

ya, you could do this in 2018. closing costs including 3% down payment on a 130k house was 8k, at 3.75%. we were about to look for another apartment when we ran the numbers, and even with pmi, taxes and everything else, the monthly mortgage was a couple hundred less than most rents in the area.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

will the upcoming recession drop prices? in some places at least there has to be a bubble.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

will the upcoming recession drop prices? in some places at least there has to be a bubble.

Having lived through the last bubble run up then pop, I can say probably but not enough to matter. Anyone not already flush with actual cash (and not those bullshit services that offer cash on your behalf) won't be able to get a loan to buy anything, so it'll just be all the oligarchs buying up the rest of the housing supply at a discount.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Ammanas posted:

when was this, tell us more

1934-1965

e: I'm crudely stating the dates between the creation of the FHA and the Department of Housing

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

ya the other thing to think about for those who don't mind living in rural areas is a USDA loan. Im not super familiar but you don't need ANY down payment and rates are often below-market. There are income limits and of course only rural properties qualify but still seems like a decent opportunity for some

This is called a USDA Rural Development loan and it's more determined by what county you're in than anything. If the USDA says your county (the one you're buying in) is rural, and less than 5-10 acres (varies, can buy a homestead but not farm land), you can qualify. Not sure on income requirements. However, USDA loans can exceed the 30 year standard, most falling between 33 and 38 years.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
We bought this time last year on what, looking back, feels like the last day before things really started going to poo poo. Either we got in ahead of the wave of people offering 20% over asking and waiving inspections, or those types were turned off by the place because it's going to collapse in two years or something.

Make it easier for younger people to buy homes dammit. I just want neighbors who are my age instead of all of the old folks on my block!

mastershakeman posted:

no one does 20% down without a gift and it's annoying that people pretend it's a thing. you do 5% down and eat the $100 a month PMI, because housing inflation goes faster than being able to save

I remember 10-15 years ago my dad drilling into my head that if I ever bought a house, that I should make sure I was able to put 20% down to start. I mentioned this anecdote to the guy who set up our mortgage and he basically laughed at me.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Lacrosse posted:

because they probably get paid a percent of how big the loan is. less down, bigger payday.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

lol the same thing happened with my brother. Everyone involved in the process of him buying a home in Atlanta persuaded him to put in 3 percent when he wanted to put in at least a 10 percent downpayment. What is that about?

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Lacrosse posted:

lol yeah i spent years saving up 20% and it stopped me from buying in 2018 or 2019 when I could have. That would have saved me so much money. I did end up putting 20% down, even though some of that went to paying an appraisal gap

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I put 20% down on my home and I also bought a point off the loan so I'm at %2.75. My goal is to pay less in interest then I do principle over the life of the loan. Probably not the "ideal" setup, but it's not like there is a guaranteed way to get a >8% return on cash anyway.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

would be nice to own a home but i rent in a city and i couldn't justify $500k to worsen my life by moving way the hell out and start driving everywhere

or i could just casually drop $700k on a complete piece of poo poo floor in a 3-family house that's way worse than my already lovely rental in the area...at least I wouldn't be supporting landlords anymore

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

australia and canada have been at the bottom of these kinds of lists for a decade, i would cut off my nuts for a <5x median multiple, so i guess what i'm saying is stop complaining? but also it sucks everywhere.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Mola Yam posted:

so i guess what i'm saying is stop complaining?

no

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
yeah fair enough.

very funny that pittsburgh is the least unaffordable on that list

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
alberta is only so affordable because oil prices dropping before the pandemic wrecked its economy. if oil stays high boom times are back baby, time to crank it to the worst possible form of hydrocarbon extraction on this dumb planet

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I've never heard anything about Pittsburgh in my life or from anyone I have worked with and now I'm hearing about it constantly

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

people can't stop talking about Pittsburgh!

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

bi crimes posted:

I've never heard anything about Pittsburgh in my life or from anyone I have worked with and now I'm hearing about it constantly

welcome to c-smap bicth

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Mola Yam posted:

australia and canada have been at the bottom of these kinds of lists for a decade, i would cut off my nuts for a <5x median multiple, so i guess what i'm saying is stop complaining? but also it sucks everywhere.

from 66 and live near 75 :cool:

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
can you loving imagine houses priced at 2.7X the median income in your town? jesus christ. that would be like sub-$300k here, when they're actually over $1M

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

i am harry posted:

heil from 88 :hitler:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Mola Yam posted:

can you loving imagine houses priced at 2.7X the median income in your town? jesus christ. that would be like sub-$300k here, when they're actually over $1M

that's happening in the toronto suburbs yeah. oshawa's median income is $88k before taxes and the houses are selling on average for $960k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

i am harry posted:

Calling bullshit on that list for missing Boulder.