Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
are people buying these houses?

if so....why? and how? how could the market possibly sustain this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
cheapest interest rates in human history OP

a situation that will last forever, ah, excuse me *puts hand to earpiece*

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Mola Yam posted:

australia and canada have been at the bottom of these kinds of lists for a decade, i would cut off my nuts for a <5x median multiple, so i guess what i'm saying is stop complaining? but also it sucks everywhere.
just lol at how this is just a list of boring anglophone cities in a roughly descending order of awfulness

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Mola Yam posted:

cheapest interest rates in human history OP

a situation that will last forever, ah, excuse me *puts hand to earpiece*
airbnb + ~0% interest for rich people has ruined housing in the US for multiple generations, just like the "right to buy" council housing in the UK

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

empty whippet box posted:

are people buying these houses?

if so....why? and how? how could the market possibly sustain this?

Corporations and LLCs that are just the address are people to some.

For the actual humans that are buying just look at some of the replies in this thread. Rent is so high in places that you might as well just buy.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

also buying and just buying a new house a few years later

its like renting but worse! destroy any built up equity as you climb the housing ladder! pile up that debt!

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

TenementFunster posted:

airbnb + ~0% interest for rich people has ruined housing in the US for multiple generations, just like the "right to buy" council housing in the UK

houses in England being 1mil when I was a child primed me to panic when the prices of houses here didnt stop rising during the pandemic

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Mola Yam posted:

australia and canada have been at the bottom of these kinds of lists for a decade, i would cut off my nuts for a <5x median multiple, so i guess what i'm saying is stop complaining? but also it sucks everywhere.

Lol they group all of NYC as NJ,NY and PA? Yea when I tell someone to move to NYC, I actually mean 100 miles away in Pennsylvania, for sure.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

also buying and just buying a new house a few years later

its like renting but worse! destroy any built up equity as you climb the housing ladder! pile up that debt!

Yep, just upgraded from a 3 bedroom workman's cottage to a 7bedroom McMansion. Help my utilities are 1500/mo, how could this happen?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Ammanas posted:

yeah youre priced out of a home, save diligently for retirement and marry a high earner.

this

aim for that sugar daddy/mommy money

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Xaris posted:

eh. i know a whole lot of california boomers who've packed up and sold their $80k 1980 tracthouse for million+ and moved out to like Coeur d'Alene and Sandpoint or even boise. not because they're stressed but because california has gotten too lib with banning plastic bags, CRT, and gays everywhere.

My old team lead's parents moved to the middle of the desert in California instead of living in the suburbs of San Diego. I am sure you can guess their political affiliation.

She helped them move and was telling us that they live in the middle of bumfuck nowhere and there is literally nothing around. They need to drive 20-30 minutes to get to the the nearest store.

AnimeIsTrash has issued a correction as of 05:32 on Apr 23, 2022

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Dreylad posted:

alberta is only so affordable because oil prices dropping before the pandemic wrecked its economy. if oil stays high boom times are back baby, time to crank it to the worst possible form of hydrocarbon extraction on this dumb planet

lol when people were renting 1 bedrooms for like $3k a month in Fort McMurray, basically a frontier mining town

good thing they blew all their money on booze and jetskis before losing their jobs, and then God burned and flooded the foul place into oblivion

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Lol they group all of NYC as NJ,NY and PA? Yea when I tell someone to move to NYC, I actually mean 100 miles away in Pennsylvania, for sure.

the drive is like 90 minutes up i-95. you don't even have to leave it any more ever since they completed it

philly started to get real expensive though ever since the nyc real estate moguls began to gently caress with it

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

TenementFunster posted:

just lol at how this is just a list of boring anglophone cities in a roughly descending order of awfulness

As someone who used to live in Buffalo, lol, don't love in Buffalo

Unless you want to have kids outta high school and turn 45 at the age of 20

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

AnimeIsTrash posted:

My old team's parents moved to the middle of the desert in California instead of living in the suburbs of San Diego. I am sure you can guess their political affiliation.

She helped them move and was telling us that they live in the middle of bumfuck nowhere and there is literally nothing around. They need to drive 20-30 minutes to get to the the nearest store.
that's freedom bay bee. the libs cant take away our guns and make me gay if i live an hour from the closest CVS

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Everyone becoming a teacher or a prison guard. Mustaches sprouting with a sudden suspicion of anything new

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Xaris posted:

that's freedom bay bee. the libs cant take away our guns and make me gay if i live an hour from the closest CVS

Midwest small town pharmacies actually pay rather well. No one wants to live there but Walgreens or CVS or Kroger will still need them and their only option is to lure pharmacists out of the cities with good bonuses and pay.

But the midwest is not the california desert so lol.

I get it, I like deserts, low humidity, generally sparsely populated spaces. Ideally, 10-15 minutes out of town is perfect for me. I wouldn't mind having enough desert land to carve messages into the ground that can be read from low flying aircraft or on microsoft flight simulator. Just strategically rip out sagebrush.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

how is Honolulu so high, lol

i think austin should be higher

also lol at hong kong

actionjackson has issued a correction as of 05:05 on Apr 23, 2022

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

actionjackson posted:

how is Honolulu so high, lol
not a lot of housing stock on the island and it's in very high demand for boomers/retirees,computer touchers who can work anywhere, etc.

hawaii IS very nice, for america. i would totally love to live in Kaneohe

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Midwest small town pharmacies actually pay rather well. No one wants to live there but Walgreens or CVS or Kroger will still need them and their only option is to lure pharmacists out of the cities with good bonuses and pay.

But the midwest is not the california desert so lol.

I get it, I like deserts, low humidity, generally sparsely populated spaces. Ideally, 10-15 minutes out of town is perfect for me. I wouldn't mind having enough desert land to carve messages into the ground that can be read from low flying aircraft or on microsoft flight simulator. Just strategically rip out sagebrush.

The healthcare industry is the only thing that keeps "small towns" alive. The hosts of the Trillbillies podcast live in or around Whiteburg, Ky and something they'll mentioned from time to time is how every store in the city has turned into some healthcare one.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
https://twitter.com/NeilNasty7/status/1517352667139522561?s=20&t=IvnFXQDBrKBiZ9ru94kgHg

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Spilling rolling rock in your lovely carpeted basement. The only things you talk about are the Bills, Sabers, and something something crime

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Shageletic posted:

Spilling rolling rock in your lovely carpeted basement. The only things you talk about are the Bills, Sabers, and something something crime

the American dream

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Shageletic posted:

Everyone becoming a teacher or a prison guard. Mustaches sprouting with a sudden suspicion of anything new

you will love hockey or die trying submit to being a Bills fan

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
It was actually a little heartening to see a bunch of For Sale signs go up around my last neighborhood in summer 2020, on what had all very clearly been AirBnBs. But I haven't been back there in a while and I'm sure they've all been scooped up again.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Mola Yam posted:

they never include mainland chinese cities in these. last time i ran the numbers for where i live (shenzhen) it worked out to over 30x lol

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

37x

and 30 mortgage rates are around 4.6%

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

WampaLord posted:

the American dream
this but also wood panelling

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Melbourne lol. I know of at least three houses that have stood vacant for six years or so, if i was paying attention i could have saved myself a lot of rent money

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

will the upcoming recession drop prices? in some places at least there has to be a bubble.

higher interest rates making monthly payments higher should have dropped prices and didn't. the housing market is complete nonsense

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

will the upcoming recession drop prices? in some places at least there has to be a bubble.

real estate is inflated by the ultra rich using housing as money storage because they just got too rich to launder their money with artwork

with that in mind, everyone will be made to starve before prices are allowed to fall

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

real estate is inflated by the ultra rich using housing as money storage because they just got too rich to launder their money with artwork

Time to start some new professional sports teams

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

Xaris posted:

hawaii IS very nice, for america. i would totally love to live in Kaneohe

That's because outside of condo enclaves of boomers and the Costco it's not america tbh

I would love to live in Hanalei but even if the opportunity presented itself I wouldn't because I'd just feel loving gross and locals would rightfully hate me

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m has issued a correction as of 14:42 on Apr 23, 2022

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

https://twitter.com/BenRabidoux/status/1517481885882101763?t=YECw_fdbl8v_DZtek7On6A&s=19

The suburbs of Toronto are getting spicy, and I am enjoying it

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m has issued a correction as of 15:06 on Apr 23, 2022

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

whoever said they were despondent about all this, yep, big same

been living in the same crappy apartment for 14 years now. back in 2019, me and my partner were planning to buy a house in 2020. then he died instead! lol

now the life insurance money will go towards my down payment but uhhhh even in my midsize midwestern city, the modest houses are now $300k instead of ~$175k. at least staying in the city proper is cheaper because of white flight, I guess? idk

it sucks poo poo. while I have the down payment covered neither I nor my new partner makes enough money to feel comfortable with a $2k mortgage payment so I guess we'll just be stuck in my apartment for another couple years until something crashes or corrects

:d2a:

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Crusty Nutsack posted:

now the life insurance money will go towards my down payment but uhhhh even in my midsize midwestern city, the modest houses are now $300k instead of ~$175k. at least staying in the city proper is cheaper because of white flight, I guess? idk

it sucks poo poo. while I have the down payment covered neither I nor my new partner makes enough money to feel comfortable with a $2k mortgage payment so I guess we'll just be stuck in my apartment for another couple years until something crashes or corrects

:d2a:

yeah. a lot of the affordable cities on that list have seen single family houses go from the mid 100s to 300k in the past decade. its really the last gasp of housing affordability anywhere before even those prices enter the stratosphere

Crusty Nutsack posted:

then he died instead! lol
:hmmyes: livin the dream :hmmyes:

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I bought my house last year in the DC region. I'm single, high earning, no debt, and I'm 100% disabled by the VA. My total gross between the two is around 230-235k a year. So not only do I get a VA loan, I don't pay property taxes in the state and save almost five grand a year. I was barely able to afford my 80 year old townhouse, and had to bid wildly over asking with no conditions. I got exceptionally lucky in two ways - one, because the house was immaculate and recently upgraded, and two because my insanely jingoistic bullshit buyer's letter got me the house. I wasn't the highest bid, but I was the only vet and the seller was one too. I had previously lost several other bids on other houses, sometimes going as much as 80k (15-20%) over. Got in at 2.35% too.

I am the only person I know of at work that has done this. Out of like 40 people my age, the only ones that have a home are married to another equally high earner (so household income somewhere around 300k gross or more) and/or had their rich family help or outright give. Everyone else pays anywhere from 2500-3000 a month for rent; toss in child care which also costs up to like 2k/kid and poof there goes all your money to save for a house.

The DC area (specifically NoVA) is double hosed because rents (and overall cost of living) are insane and you basically have no choice to live here if you work for some parts of the government. My job in particular binds me to a specific location and has strings attached as to when I'm expected to show up on short notice. I can't be there in an hour if I have a somewhat affordable house outside the main NoVA bubble. It's also a personal thing for me, since I cannot drive for medical reasons. So it's either live where I do and have the job that I have, or get hosed.

In short, lol. lmao.

edit: my house has appreciated more than 60k in the literal year that i've owned it

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

he bought a home in grand theft auto?

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Crusty Nutsack posted:

neither I nor my new partner makes enough money to feel comfortable with a $2k mortgage payment so I guess we'll just be stuck in my apartment for another couple years until rent is $2400
im afraid of this happening for everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

actionjackson posted:

he bought a home in grand theft auto?

Real estate is like NFTs but you don't get a jpeg even