Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

19 o'clock posted:

hmmm….company towns have historically been good, right?

The Pullman neighborhood of Chicago just became a National Monument. There might be something behind that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

“To help renters stay in affordable housing”

Is that code for letting landlords off the hook for failing to keep the housing up to livable standards?

No longer will slumlords have to spend any money at all on their units. Just force the tenants to stay. Where else can they afford to go?

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Yes, that is a burned-out husk in Pittsburgh.

It’s an “affordable” burned out husk. Not one of those expensive burned out husks only investment buyers are looking at.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Failson posted:

Still looking at cheap houses in Nowhere, USA.

I enjoyed the escalating red flags with this listing:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/214-S-Lincoln-St-Arlington-KS-67514/77268758_zpid/

Only $25k and a built in murder hobo attic den. What more could you want?

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

They should definitely don’t it again.

Must be a Pittsburgh thing, but I am not sure I want a rebuilt house nestled between two rotting hulks towering over it. Especially on a hillside to make things extra likely for catastrophic failure.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

sleep with the vicious posted:

House prices cant crash in a modern financialized neoliberal western state - see canada, australia

But I bet individual houses can crash, like down a cliff in California, or into the Ocean in Florida. I bet the price drops in that subdivision when that happens.

So all people have to do is wait for climate change to ramp up its effects. Then they can buy a pile of rubble somewhere.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Is there any chance that the commercial real estate market imploding would have secondary effects on the residential market?

More layoffs means less workers, means less need for office space. Even if a company is going full Return to Office. Would seem to imply that things are unlikely to get better in the commercial space any time soon, especially if interest rates hold flat for an extended period of time.

So are those groups holding residential properties and or apartments that would need to be sold to shore up loses in commercial properties? Or would investors fleeing commercial stuff just dump more money into residential, driving that up more?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

My wife’s cousin had one of those monstrous kitchen islands in a McMansion that they built. It was pretty bad, as you couldn’t open the dishwasher or oven at the same time (not sure why you would). And if either of them were open, you literally couldn’t get past, as they filled the entire space between cabinet and island. It was so dumb how narrow that space was to make room for this 5 foot across island (guessing, but it was huge).