Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
We bought this time last year on what, looking back, feels like the last day before things really started going to poo poo. Either we got in ahead of the wave of people offering 20% over asking and waiving inspections, or those types were turned off by the place because it's going to collapse in two years or something.

Make it easier for younger people to buy homes dammit. I just want neighbors who are my age instead of all of the old folks on my block!

mastershakeman posted:

no one does 20% down without a gift and it's annoying that people pretend it's a thing. you do 5% down and eat the $100 a month PMI, because housing inflation goes faster than being able to save

I remember 10-15 years ago my dad drilling into my head that if I ever bought a house, that I should make sure I was able to put 20% down to start. I mentioned this anecdote to the guy who set up our mortgage and he basically laughed at me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
It was actually a little heartening to see a bunch of For Sale signs go up around my last neighborhood in summer 2020, on what had all very clearly been AirBnBs. But I haven't been back there in a while and I'm sure they've all been scooped up again.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Nix Panicus posted:

My parents own a home free and clear, but its in a state I hate so I'm never moving back, and they hate my brother who lives in a lovely apartment 30 minutes away from them so he's never going to live there either. Most likely it'll go to my deadbeat brother's kid who my parents are basically raising, who will be in his 20s around the time my parents shuffle off this mortal coil. So congrats nephew, you'll inherent a free house in the prime of your life, and all it took was your dad completely backing out of your life!

I'm not inheriting a drat thing though

My parents are beginning the long (5-10 years) process of fixing up and selling the house I grew up in, and I'm morbidly curious to see how much it goes for. They'll have been in it 40+ years by the time they sell it. I don't even think it needs any work outside of routine maintenance but they're talking about redoing multiple rooms which is crazy to me.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

new kitchen & bathrooms is common to attain maximum value. 5-10 years is insane though, even 5-10 months would be too long honestly.

I mean they're not raring up to sell, it's just acknowledging that in a few years they're going to be too old for a house like that to really make sense for them. They probably could/should sell it sooner than that but :shrug:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Zeroisanumber posted:

Yeah, but you've got equity. You can take out loans against that to buy other stuff.

What other stuff? Who knows? What do people even buy in these doomed final days?

I'm trying to get a small HELOC to fix our basement and the local credit union won't approve me because they think the value of my house has actually gone down since I bought it :argh: Nevermind other houses on block being on sale for 5-10% more than what we paid a year ago. Just let me go into debt to you!

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Homes being advertised as investment vehicles was a cool idea.

That part always grossed me out as a renter/prospective home buyer and it still grosses me out as a homeowner. This is shelter not a stock portfolio you weiners.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

vyelkin posted:

let me tell you about my starter home that i bought so i could get on the property ladder

Lemme guess: it was bad.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

After too much zillowing, I'm almost convinced I want to buy an old midwestern church. Change the name on the sign to the First Church of our Lady of Apathy, hang a closed sign on the door, play the badly out of tune organ at 4am on thursdays, commission a stained glass window of Jeff Bridges as the Dude. Slap a king size bed in the sanctuary and a few weed plants in a closet, ceiling mount a projector, a hut tub where the holy water usually goes, and sell all the Jesus flair on ebay.

Old churches have got to be expensive to heat, so I'll be accepting tithes.

When my wife and I first moved here, one of the apartments we looked at renting was in a converted church. Really pretty building but the unit was a little too small and a little too outside of our budget. We ended up renting the basement of a former cigar box factory instead lol

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Just don't have friends IMO. The only personal contacts that have been to our house since we moved in a year ago are a couple of my running friends to get a quick drink of water, and my parents a couple of times.

Our realtor wants to meet us for dinner and see what we've done to the place and it's like lol why

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

someone I knew from my hometown way back when was bragging about his first home and how he was gonna put carpeting in his kitchen and I wondered if there’s some sort of Hippocratic Oath equivalent for contractors to not ruin someone’s house intentionally by doing dumb poo poo like that

The house my wife lived in senior year of college had a carpeted kitchen, though it was a single-family house converted into a duplex so I have to imagine the carpet was there before the kitchen. Still bizarre as hell though.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Live in the garage if it's so great then, bing bong so simple

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

indigi posted:

I live in Philadelphia. first of all I never called it a luxury, i called it a choice. second it’s a single salary, why do they need 2 bedrooms? get a 1BR that isn’t so crummy. 3k can get you a decent to good 1br apartment pretty much everywhere

e: you seem really defensive so I’ll drop this with you

3k in Philly gets you something right in Center City, which means you're spending more outside of rent because you actually live near things to do.

Source: me living in Philly for the last seven years and never going above 2k for rent, and also being really boring so I don't go out and party every weekend.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/zillowgonewild/status/1526625530136694784

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

You too can own your very own Dog Hallway from Resident Evil 1.