Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

ya the other thing to think about for those who don't mind living in rural areas is a USDA loan. Im not super familiar but you don't need ANY down payment and rates are often below-market. There are income limits and of course only rural properties qualify but still seems like a decent opportunity for some

This is called a USDA Rural Development loan and it's more determined by what county you're in than anything. If the USDA says your county (the one you're buying in) is rural, and less than 5-10 acres (varies, can buy a homestead but not farm land), you can qualify. Not sure on income requirements. However, USDA loans can exceed the 30 year standard, most falling between 33 and 38 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

i am harry posted:

from 66 and live near 75 :cool:

Calling bullshit on that list for missing Boulder.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Xaris posted:

that's freedom bay bee. the libs cant take away our guns and make me gay if i live an hour from the closest CVS

Midwest small town pharmacies actually pay rather well. No one wants to live there but Walgreens or CVS or Kroger will still need them and their only option is to lure pharmacists out of the cities with good bonuses and pay.

But the midwest is not the california desert so lol.

I get it, I like deserts, low humidity, generally sparsely populated spaces. Ideally, 10-15 minutes out of town is perfect for me. I wouldn't mind having enough desert land to carve messages into the ground that can be read from low flying aircraft or on microsoft flight simulator. Just strategically rip out sagebrush.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

real estate is inflated by the ultra rich using housing as money storage because they just got too rich to launder their money with artwork

Time to start some new professional sports teams

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Additional dwelling unit, you say?

How about a remodeled garage?

https://www.wkrn.com/special-report...t-1000-a-month/

Rents in Nashville are loving rough right now. Tennessee is a $7.25/hr minimum wage state too.

quote:

According to Rent.com, the average rent for apartments in Nashville, TN, is between $1,585 and $2,658 in 2022. For a studio apartment in Nashville, the average rent is $1,860. For a one-bedroom, the average rent is $1,991, and for a 2-bedroom is $2,658.

According to the data, prices are up 50% compared to last year for a two-bedroom in Nashville.

And a picture:

It's off market now.

CRUSTY MINGE has issued a correction as of 19:52 on Apr 23, 2022

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

i keep getting them for the 2 unit row home i rented when i first moved to philly

which i havent lived at for 6 years now

Sell them that row home you don't own. Let them work out the actual ownership later, you have a check to cash.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Kibbles n Shits posted:

3) there is still a legal system to enforce my ownership of my home after the water wars start

Plus side, in the unlikely event this happens, you can just go take someone else's home. Or leave a pile of bodies on the lawn as a warning.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Investor brain: Did you buy a building of your own to landlord over with your settlement?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Gunshow Poophole posted:

the class is several dozen people so

maybe a building in like...

gently caress i physically cannot think of a location that I could buy a building with $100k now

The midwest.

poo poo, that's two houses in economically depressed farm towns, and here's an immediate example that's been listed long enough to have a price drop.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/202-S-Front-St-Danforth-IL-60930/2067020478_zpid/

But then you'd have to move to the midwest. Already rented for $600/mo and $475/mo so you can jump right into landlording!*

*Do not actually do this, do not move somewhere you'll hate for the housing prices. Though that county could use fresh blood, and you'll catch glances just being new to the area.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Gunshow Poophole posted:

sorry i already did my time in the midwest

im currently doing it again, in upstate new york. catching glances too

Yeah, totally understand. I feel like I served enough midwest penance, no need to add to it.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Crusty Nutsack posted:

love having another thread to read that depresses me daily

Just make Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud the IK. Sure, he hasn't posted in the thread, but it was made to do what he loves most in the doomsday econ thread, shitpost about housing.

Don't tell him, just make him IK and see if he ever notices.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Xaris posted:

GIP is probably third highest with VA loans but it's mild-dewing mobile homes and other small flats out in the deep south.

The VA won't give you a loan for a trailer. They also require inspections.

It's been iVFW for a while now, please update your forums.xls file.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

OxMan posted:

Literally no one deemed loving essential in 2020 or even their lil capo managers could ever own their own anything in most states so thats just privilege shining bright.

Oh, you can still own, but it's going to be the inside corner of the midwest's rear end in a top hat with extremely limited job options and definitely higher property taxes to prop up what little municipal facilities haven't been bought by some conglomerate of investors.

For example, a small town's former city hall.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/221-N-Mitchell-St-Braceville-IL-60407/2068621762_zpid/

How about an 1890s hotel?

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/233-S-Walnut-St-Arthur-IL-61911/325540045_zpid/

This one is kind of a hidden gem, "raise a big family" kind of house, nice wood work inside, but it's effectively in a sea of corn and soybeans. Those trees right up on the basement foundation probably aren't great, either.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/107-S-Walnut-St-Roberts-IL-60962/112572157_zpid/

Sorry I keep drawing back to Illinois but it's just familiar to me so I use it a lot. But yeah, you can own, if you uproot your life, change jobs to a much more limited market, move to the grain states and can tolerate 60s wood paneling and 70s pastel toilets.

More than a few places have tempted me to go back to Illinois, but I'm firmly against going back. Plenty of other midwestern poo poo states to choose from, none are good (IL has legal weed though).

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

I like chicago :shobon:
Also all of those seem cool, but I'm addicted to Urban living now so they'd all be right out for me.

Chicago is fine, and there's a lot of cheaper suburbs to the south and west, but it doesn't get cheaper than out in the corn.

Some of the smaller cities in Illinois haven't bubbled up as badly, and those hoping to ride the bubble to a higher price have been cutting them back for months. Champaign, Bloomington, Peoria, all have homes under $100k that you could almost certainly chisel more off the price, because no one is moving there.

Obviously newer neighborhoods and homes are more expensive, but the older home market there isn't bad at all, like most of the midwest.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

I wondered if other people heard this too, but never bothered posting about it. Thank you for confirming my suspicions.

That loving commercial ran waaaaay too long. I'd rather watch the Victory Auto Wreckers commercial on loop for an hour.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Since facebook is now meta, wouldn't it be MAANG or MANGA?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
After too much zillowing, I'm almost convinced I want to buy an old midwestern church. Change the name on the sign to the First Church of our Lady of Apathy, hang a closed sign on the door, play the badly out of tune organ at 4am on thursdays, commission a stained glass window of Jeff Bridges as the Dude. Slap a king size bed in the sanctuary and a few weed plants in a closet, ceiling mount a projector, a hut tub where the holy water usually goes, and sell all the Jesus flair on ebay.

Old churches have got to be expensive to heat, so I'll be accepting tithes.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
She's catholic and I don't give a poo poo. May every person who enters my church be cast into listlessness.

Lol get someone out to cast magic on the ground. Lol.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Relevant Tangent posted:

A family friend bought a church to live in. Mostly the basement is where you live, it stays temperate year round. She had a trampoline upstairs and you could jump really high with no fear because of the ceilings. otoh maintaining her roof was a nightmare

Someone near my uncle did one too, dumped a ton of money into it in the 90s, supposedly very nice.

Regardless of what I actually do for future housing, I want whichever of my nieces/nephews that takes it in my will to be very confused with what I was trying to do or what my end goal was. A church is effectively a perfect, large canvas for me to smear indecipherable symbols over next to crude drawings of bigfoot.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
There was a church and separate house for sale (for $90k or so for both) last year near the Wisconsin border and the owners claimed to use it as an art studio, but the pictures screamed long term storage of poo poo no one wanted 20 years ago. House was in decent shape though.

But it would be a fun project. Pretty sure I saw one in Iowa for $30k. However, Iowa.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
mod edit: removed some personal information

Somebody has issued a correction as of 17:10 on Apr 27, 2022

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah, that's a hard topic to dance around comedically.

I'll restate my challenge to cancer to bring it the gently caress on, though.*

*Sponsored by RJ Reynolds and Pall Mall nonfilters. Pall Mall, when it can't end soon enough.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Nah, cloves taste like poo poo to me. Then again, Pall Mall nonfilters probably taste like poo poo to clove smokers.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

euphronius posted:

let our posts be your roof

*Ralph Wiggum voice*

I'm a shingle.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'm trying to get my cousin outside Austin to move to Colorado. At least the rent is affordable in my area.

No dice so far. I don't get what he sees in the place anymore. He's a musician and says the local scene has gone to poo poo.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Montrose is weird. It's also it one of the most drought stricken parts of the state.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
It's a few hours west of me, and I'm in the middle of nowhere.

Nowhere is a big place.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Bar Ran Dun posted:

House without anything wrong out here in a good location didn’t sell (in one weekend). Sellers raised price 40,000 and relisted. lmao.

This happens all the time. From time to time I'll see a 5 acre parcel listed for $100k for a week, relisted for $10k for a month, relisted for $80k for a month, then $8k, etc, bouncing back and forth. Often the last sold price will be something like $500, and it's just speculators probably thinking they can fleece an idiot out of much more money because "they aren't making any more land!" They'll be on the market for years, while similar properties listed around their desert parcel will sell for $3-5k.

There was a plot I looked at in Park county, CO that the seller specifically stated in his ad that he would raise his price at the end of that year (2020). And he did. And no one bought it.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
You need 35 acres in Colorado to legally irrigate 1 acre, unless the land is explicitly zoned agricultural.

Even then, commercial weed farms, med or rec, can only be in specifically zoned areas which are limited within each county, and the people who own those lots know what they're worth, so they aren't going to be $1-2k/acre, more like $10-50k because of the zoning alone.

You can grow for personal use, obviously, but there are limits and you might as well just expand your house to add a grow room space and run lights off solar instead of trying to get away with using well water outside.

There's not really a way to break into weed here anymore unless you're bringing investor money and don't mind a retail price point of $50-100/oz.

I want to start a small hemp farm to feed a small herd of cattle. All to the cows, I'll grow my weed inside. Another pipe dream that probably won't come to fruition.

E: also, weed farms cannot be on the same parcel as a domicile, and paid security is largely required by local municipalities. Can't just build a shanty on a desert plot, punch a well and start growing a field. Sadly.

CRUSTY MINGE has issued a correction as of 17:49 on May 3, 2022

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
The "need to be a citizen to own property" rule is also a thing in Mexico but that doesn't apply if you buy through a trust.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Japanese ghost hunters.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

NeonPunk posted:

Anyone else notice there's been a uptick in those creepy af Roommate Wanted ads? Like "60 year old white male seeking a 30 year old single Asian female roommate for 400$ rent"

Nah, I stopped reading craigslist when the personals closed.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Springfield Fatts posted:

Is this the thread to post in if I am in the final stages of buying a house after 10 months of looking / fighting dozens of offers on every loving property we look at and to be pushed two cities further from work due to rising costs and shrinking inventory and though all media tells me I should be high fiving my wife in slow-mo while we pick plants for the front yard I instead feel all-encompassing dread mixed a seething desire for this whole awful process to just be finished?

Yeah, probably.

:justpost:

boo boo bear posted:

one of my grandmas used to have carpeted floor in her bathroom. absolutely terrifying experience.

One of the houses my parents rented while I was growing up had carpeted bathrooms. The upstairs one featured mushrooms that would grow around the toilet base.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
50s to 90s, midwest. The 70s were probably the most offensive when you include the salmon pink or seafoam green fixtures.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Rural Illinois is full of weird treasures. Lots of them seemingly affordable. Then the small town taxes kick in and you're paying more to the city and county than the bank on your mortgage payment.

There's a house west of Kankakee that has a grass roof. I can't find any pictures of it, despite being a local oddity. Concrete shell filled with dirt that connects the yard to the roof. An overhead aerial just shows a yard with a chimney and a wood framed garage next to it.

But there are loving cheap houses there. Completely liveable, almost certainly dated, some within reasonable distances from small cities. Even housing in some small cities is still reasonably affordable.

Example of weirdness:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/24679-Empire-Ave-Sterling-IL-61081/84845550_zpid/

$85k.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I cannot imagine how much of a pain in the rear end it would be to fix a leak in the middle of a grass roof like that. Illinois and Indiana seem like silly loving places to build that style earthen house just from the spring rains.

I get and love earthships, but those tend to be in loosely regulated counties throughout the southwest, not in the cornfields of the midwest.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
It's pretty cool until someone runs off the roof not realizing where it ends. Pretty OSHA rear end lawn though.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Illinois is a weird place. Set zillow to top out at $100k and have an evening of salmon pink toilets, shag carpet and wood paneling.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

i say swears online posted:

how do you maintain the ag exemption for property taxes?

Cows. Do nothing to the ground and lease it for grazing to someone willing to shuttle in cows. Collect cash rent and maintain a low tax rate. Or cash rent it to someone for grains, if the soil can support it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Let it go fallow then. Should be able to keep agricultural tax rate on it as long as you're not doing poo poo with it.