Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

mastershakeman posted:

no one does 20% down without a gift and it's annoying that people pretend it's a thing. you do 5% down and eat the $100 a month PMI, because housing inflation goes faster than being able to save

It's me, I was the idiot who lived lean through my 20s and saved up a 20% down payment

I'd have come out far, far ahead if I'd just gone all-in on a 3% down payment 2 years out of school

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

indigi posted:

you still could by putting 5% down now and doing something else with the remainder

Ha ha ha naw I bought in january and figured a house was as good a hedge against inflation as anything

I paid 18% more than it was sold for 15 months prior

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

indigi posted:

you still could by putting 5% down now and doing something else with the remainder

Ha ha ha naw I bought in january and figured a house was as good a hedge against inflation as anything

I paid 18% more than it was sold for 15 months prior

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Nitevision posted:

The solution exists, it's just mostly illegal in North America :bravo:

I live in a neighborhood where they’re putting up row after row of these

they’re all going for $500k+, more for the ones with two car garages

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

wolfs posted:

hi thread i bought a house 20 miles outside of austin in fall 2020 for $187k

Zillow thinks it’s worth a cool half a million now

its a 1500 sq ft 3 bed/2 bath

what do

sell it and gently caress off to the woods or somethin

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

My old man told me about buying his first house in the early 80s with an interest rate of 13%

Apparently the going rate was 17%, he only qualified for the 13% rate because his income was so low, which makes zero sense to me

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

There are houses in coastal Washington that are for sale while they're actively falling into the sea

Miami still going strong as well, despite the water line literally being an inch below grade

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

I keep getting ads for the fuckoff huge condo building nearby where 2br-2ba, 1500sq ft units are $200k

But the HOA fees are like $900

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Islands are primarily gathering spaces in kitchens like that, a place to put your drinks and arrange food and not much else

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

That income is apparently take-home, so their gross income is likely much higher than the $7200 number cited. Maybe they can free up some money from an uncited 401k, besides that... Maybe.

Either way, yeah, they're just looking for permission to do what they already wanted

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

i say swears online posted:

property taxes rule, but they should be massively more progressive. i like graduated sqft tax rates

Property taxes should scale with the number of lots you own

Increment that assessment by a basis point for every residential property held

Triple it if it's a corporation

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Channeling my inner Frank Lloyd Wright by leaving the rental car with the seat pulled all the way forward

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Eh dudes like that would have a chip on their shoulder no matter what, like that one VC who whines on twitter about people who act like his high school bullies

Bezos is evil because he was born rich and went bald, obv