Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

would be nice to own a home but i rent in a city and i couldn't justify $500k to worsen my life by moving way the hell out and start driving everywhere

or i could just casually drop $700k on a complete piece of poo poo floor in a 3-family house that's way worse than my already lovely rental in the area...at least I wouldn't be supporting landlords anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

AnimeIsTrash posted:

rents and mortgages should be higher

anime is good

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Gunshow Poophole posted:

this is my old landlord!

who I have won a (couple million dollar!) class action judgment against that is being dragged into judicial purgatory!

he also owns 326-338 E 100th St.

hot drat

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

my toilet handle and light fixture switch both broke this weekend. today maintenance guys came in and fixed em for free.

god drat renting owns!!!!!

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

i would rather housing than housing thread but i can make do

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

https://www.bostonmagazine.com/property/2022/04/28/burhan-azeem-cambridge-housing/

quote:

And with a flexible budget ($1,000 to $1,500 a month) and a decent salary, you’d think it’d be easy to find a nice place to live, right? Not so much. For $1,000 a month, Azeem faced such options as a room with no heat and no windows (just a skylight that he was assured opened and closed), and apartments with insect infestations. There were places with no storage space and ones where the existing tenant admitted the electricity occasionally went out because the landlord would forget to pay utilities.

lol city council members can't afford to live in the city they council unless they are independently wealthy

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

just found out my landlord is not increasing my rent this year. gently caress yeah.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

everyone w/ a house....

go home

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

I hate the housing market.I hope it dies and goes to hell.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Zantie posted:

My parents never owned a house for me to grow up in.

yeah I could zillow my childhood homes but the implication that my parents owned or still own it is lol

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

i’d just like to thank joe biden and jpow and the crew for the fact i will rent forever

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

what is this -- median price and # of units of supply?

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

there's still only like 1 not-absolute-garbage 2BR unit on the market every couple of weeks in my area and it gets immediately snapped up for 20% over.

some of the absolute-garbage units are staying on the market, though, which is...something?

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Schmeichy posted:

Lol my mortgage broker just called and I might be boned. The lender doesn't like that it's a park model manufactured home even though I already paid the earnest money and got an approval letter and have ended my current lease and gotten rid of all my stuff aaaaa

You want Jokers? This is how you get jokers.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

trickybiscuits posted:

Is there any consensus on the smallest appropriate amount to take a former landlord to small claims court for? My ex-landlord is holding back money for repainting a room, which he shouldn't have done because in this state landlords can only take deductions if they return the remainder of the deposit within two weeks and provide documentation of their costs. It's not a lot but I could ask for damages, including punitive damages (landlord has violated the law before, and frankly I'm furious at how I bent over backward to be a nice, compliant tenant).

idk what's best for YOU but what's best for the world is to get him for all you can get no matter how small

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

actionjackson posted:

love to spent 4500/month to RENT a home that is in a completely car-dependent area where you don't even have sidewalks (notice picture lol)

https://www.startribune.com/upscale-rental-homes-catch-on-in-twin-cities-metro-area/600185458/

every single thing about this is hellish

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

the white hand posted:

rich dad, poor dad by robert kiyosaki

https://mobile.twitter.com/davenewworld_2/status/1494086466061885450

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Fortaleza posted:

Give me house. House me. House now. Me a house needing a lot now.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

how about you put away that carrot and bring out the stick, sedona

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

bitmap posted:

I dont suppose anyone here has built their own house in ireland

I might have done that...hard to remember though rly

nah on second though I don't think I did

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

in the winter my building (steam heat) is constantly wavering between needing windows wide open in 15degree weather and essentially no heat or hot water.

must be tough to have one dial to turn for a 30 unit complex and the dial also turns on its own sometimes. or something.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

I'll put a giant nike swoosh on my house if they give me a house

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

4 bathrooms in 1400 sq ft what the hell

this is some "1 more bathroom => X more thousand dollars" logic taken too far

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

that article really confounds things by combining the "just don't worry about it and leave the leaves!" people doing the absolute minimum work with the "mulch your leaves and put them back!" people doing the absolute maximum

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

War and Pieces posted:

Just take turns cooking. Sharing a kitchen is just asking for divorce.

yeah. cooking cannot be done simultaneously by two equal partners.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

what if all my counterspace is covered in crap and there's no space left for cooking? I need the island! (to put more crap on)

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

what is that metal thing going off into the sky

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Paradoxish posted:

When our house burned down, our insurance adjuster spent almost two weeks profusely apologizing that the (really nice) 1300 sq. ft. apartment they were putting us in temporarily was the "largest they could find on short notice." Absurd. She seemed legitimately shocked that we were insisting that no, actually, that was plenty big for two of us no matter how long construction might take.

where did you put your ball pit and Bowflex?

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

MickeyFinn posted:

All the downsides of owning a depreciating and near-immovable asset and paying rent on someone else’s appreciating land.

yeah that's the dream for a landlord. i hope no one buys it.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

sonatinas posted:

well my office is closing and my bosses want to keep me so I got to move across state to a higher CoL so can’t wait to have a higher mortgage and worse interest rate since I refinanced at the dip and changed it to a 15yr loan.

also there are no houses that are like 1500 sqft where we need to be so that’s great. everyone at the office I’m moving to all have like 45-1hr commutes due to sprawl. I’d try to stay here but city I’m living in is not great for my career and the pay is a lot lower.

at least my kid will be in a school district with aftercare

a good post where you can read the whole thing and still say

congrats i’m happy for u. or sorry that happened

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

lol. why didn’t we think of the consequences of constructing all these homes? nooooo

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Salt Fish posted:

VA. Here's what they sent me:

current rent is at the top

reported to mods for posting disgusting shock imagery we're past that on these forums now buddy

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Vomik posted:

nyc is just weird because of how much money is there and almost everyone who is rich enough to live there but isn't independently wealthy work in some professional services capacity.

NYC is also the only place in the us that it is routine for renters to pay 10-15% upfront of the total annual lease to a rental broker who is the only person legally allowed to show the property

you pay a 1 month's rent fee to the realtor in boston too.

I think some higher-end complexes will have their own guys to show the units, but for normal people you absolutely will be paying the $2k to the rear end in a top hat who unlocks the door for you.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

RadiRoot posted:

im going to look at a house on saturday. 920 sqft. wish me luck lol

just hope it sucks just the right amount that you want it but nobody else does

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Raccooon posted:

Are the cash buyers just institutional buyers? Lost a house to a cash offer earlier in the year. Who the gently caress had that much cash laying around.

2 income tech/finance households who get lucky with stock options

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

house designed by AI

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Twerk from Home posted:

In 4 months the numbers will be completely different.

They are trying to have rental units come available at high-demand times and avoid rental units coming available during low-demand times. You can sidestep the whole system by choosing a long-ish term with a low-ish rate and then just paying to break the lease early, I got one of those when I knew I was moving out soon and it was dramatically cheaper to sign a 14-month lease and then break it 4 months in than it was to sign a 4 month lease, month to month, or 3 months +1 or something.

my previous landlord (not a mom n pop, company owning multiple 20+ unit buildings) had no provision for an early lease break. When I emailed them about it they just said “you signed a lease you have to stay/pay for the full term.” I had to call, at which point they said the same thing!

I explained in detail that there can be a mutually beneficial outcome where I pay a “fee” of less than the remained of my term, and they find a new tenant to occupy the unit and end up with more money overall. The person on the line seemed to “get it” and offered to call back. Next day they came back with their offer: I could leave for free.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Nothus posted:

You're lucky. I had a similar situation once when I abruptly had to change jobs and move, and was told to pay out the rest of the term plus a fee for vacating the unit early or expect a court summons. Wiped out my savings.

what the hell, are you obligated by the lease to sleep in the unit?

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

ProperGanderPusher posted:

They did this poo poo in my garage to hide a whole bunch of rot that I had to fix soon after buying. poo poo should be illegal.

it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

euphronius posted:

is that photoshopped or did they really paint the windows