Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

If you're underpaid but have solid finances and maybe a dependent not generating income check to see if you have any Community Land Trusts in your area. They're income restricted permanently affordable houses with a lot of hoops to jump through but its a legit resource. The one in my area just builds new townhouses now https://www.villagegardenstownhomes.com/

ya the other thing to think about for those who don't mind living in rural areas is a USDA loan. Im not super familiar but you don't need ANY down payment and rates are often below-market. There are income limits and of course only rural properties qualify but still seems like a decent opportunity for some

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Ammanas posted:

buying a home without down payments is part of why house prices have escalated so much. small part but absolutely a part.

well, given that homes in all metropolitan areas and most suburbs don't qualify, and given that USDA loans account for <1-2% of all home sales, I don't think so. Unless by "small part" you mean "insignificant, impossible to measure, and not worth mentioning"

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

empty whippet box posted:

what's that mean? that less mortgages are going to be processed because the market's about to crash and everyone's houses are about to lose a bunch of value, and then subsequently get bought by extremely rich people who then jack the prices up to higher than they were before(now)?

no, but nobody is gonna re-finance their mortgage to a lower rate since lower rates arent available. also less loans will be issued going forward bc they're less good of a deal

i dont think it portends anything significant beyond 'more rate increases = less demand for loans'

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Hootington posted:

Most estimates I've seen say 6% will be the top.

idk about that

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

C-Euro posted:

My parents are beginning the long (5-10 years) process of fixing up and selling the house I grew up in, and I'm morbidly curious to see how much it goes for. They'll have been in it 40+ years by the time they sell it. I don't even think it needs any work outside of routine maintenance but they're talking about redoing multiple rooms which is crazy to me.

new kitchen & bathrooms is common to attain maximum value. 5-10 years is insane though, even 5-10 months would be too long honestly.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

lol how is the average 35k that’s insane

actionjackson lives in a condo which means it's gonna be more expensive bc of the increased risk. Shoot a nail in the wrong spot and you hit a water pipe and flood your downstairs neighbors condo, with no accessible water shutoff valve in reach. Plus it's a pain in the rear end to work in a condo,but mostly it's the increased risk.

I remodel professionally and I'd say $20-25k is average for demo/cabinets/floors/backsplash/appliances/paint

$1-2k for demo
$8-12k for cabinets
$2-3k for floors
$1k for backsplash
$3k for appliances
$2-3k for granite/quartzite counters
$1-2k for whatever else

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
the last one we did was $28k on a gut rehab and it was only so expensive because of all the cabinets. if your cabinets are in good shape, keep them and have them repainted to save thousands and thousands of dollars.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

yeah the bit that gets me is that’s about the median income in the us. you gotta work for a whole year just to fix your kitchen cabinets?

you're not "fixing" them you're replacing them entirely. it only makes sense when you're about to sell the house since you'll probably get more back than you put into it. otherwise it's an expensive indulgence, agreed

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

i am harry posted:

I’d like to take a moment to say one of the things I hate most in this universe is a kitchen sink facing a wall with no window to gaze out of while doing the dishes

Agreed, and I practically begged the homeowner to spend the extra $500 for it but nothing doing. The old kitchen even had a window so it would be a simple replacement but ya idk.

Thank you :) to be clear, it’s not mine .. my kitchen is old and lovely. Here’s what It looked like before, the house was abandoned for years and the whole house had to be gutted:

https://imgur.com/a/0528Aoa

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

actionjackson posted:

So obviously you do this for a living so you are the expert, looking again it looks more like 25k, so that might have been a misread by me.

However as you very well know, your picture is from a pretty standard size kitchen, but there's also plenty of giant houses with giant fuckoff kitchens. The place I'm working with mentioned they've had renos up to 80-100k.

Also 3k for all four appliances is EXTREMELY cheap. There are plenty of single appliances that are far more than that even.

Thankfully I live on the bottom floor so some of the things you mentioned are not an issue. The place I used kept the cabinets, but put in new slab doors and drawers to give it a frameless look, and did the blum hinges where you push and the door pops out, and when you push the door or drawer back in it "grabs" it at the end to pull the last bit of distance (tip-on blumotion for movento if you are familiar, I think each drawer for that is like 200-300). I'm paying 10k to have this done in my galley kitchen, which includes everything, including a custom paint color. It would have been like 6800 if I had done typical doors with hardware.

I had considered replacing cabinets, but because I'm a modern design slut I got an estimate from a really nice place that had the look I want, and that was like 20K just for cabinets and all the demo. But I would not be happy with doors with insets, or hardware of any kind.

https://puustelliusa.com/

Honestly I’m pretty sure you know more about this stuff than I do, no irony, it seems like a passion of yours. I always learn new stuff whenever you post about interior design. I’ve only been doing it for 3 years so I am far from “expert” .. Just sharing what I’ve seen, every market will be different.

I should have said that I really only work on entry level city homes, so like $250-500k, usually in preparation to sell, and everyone wants the same stuff .. White shaker cabinets, white quartzite w grey vein, stainless steel appliances, subway tile backsplash, black hardware etc. Generic & inoffensive but widely appealing. Sounds like you have better taste, but that comes at a bit of a price premium. Bottom line - I think we’re at different price points and I should have prefaced my statement accordingly.

Looks like prices have gone up a bit but you can still get name brand appliance packages for $3-4k Whirlpool, Samsung, etc. Viking, Wolf, Thermadore — different story :D. I’ve heard the IKEA appliances are a good value too but never used them.

I never wanted to work on a house that big if I could avoid bc I find it vulgar & obscene, but you’re correct… the sky is the limit w some of these renos. Downside is that I’m already getting bored w these cookie cutter kitchens, so maybe at some point I’ll look for a higher end contractor to work for.

What kind of counters are you doing? My favorite is probably concrete but it requires a whole bunch of extra reinforcement in the cabinets & floor joists to support the extra weight :whitewater: .. probably why you don’t see it often

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

i say swears online posted:

why do you like concrete more than granite?

I just love the “industrial” look of concrete I guess. Granite just looks dated to me, very 2002. It can look nice in the right applications of course but I guess it’s just too many kitchens have it.

That’s probably why I like the concrete counters so much, since they’re uncommon

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

i am harry posted:

I ask because my last memory of using a laundromat was in the 90s and doing a full load cost like 3-4ish dollars, each machine requiring 6 quarters or something like that, not including soap, and I’m curious how much that’s gone up if anyone can chime in

i went for a bit last year and it was $6-7/load but a load was like 2-3 normal washing machine sizes. driers were free

the time & travel involved were much bigger deals. was open 24/7 so convenient in that sense

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
who tf is buying a house for these prices and w these interets rates

i checked to see how much it would be if i got a loan today and its $800/month more lol :whitewater:

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Does anyone reply with goatse?

That’s illegal, sadly. I’ve looked into it.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Booo. This country loving sucks.

Lol seriously, if you’re gonna intrude on someone’s peace & quiet by texting their phone I don’t see why they can’t respond with whatever they want—up to and including Goatse

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Hambilderberglar posted:

What law governs this because I would like to know more

It’s kinda confusing but this makes me think you could get prosecuted:
https://www.justice.gov/criminal-ceos/obscenity

quote:

Federal law prohibits the possession with intent to sell or distribute obscenity, to send, ship, or receive obscenity, to import obscenity, and to transport obscenity across state borders for purposes of distribution. Although the law does not criminalize the private possession of obscene matter, the act of receiving such matter could violate the statutes prohibiting the use of the U.S. Mails, common carriers, or interactive computer services for the purpose of transportation (See 18 U.S.C. § 1460; 18 U.S.C. § 1461; 18 U.S.C. § 1462; 18 U.S.C. § 1463). Convicted offenders face fines and imprisonment. It is also illegal to aid or abet in the commission of these crimes, and individuals who commit such acts are also punishable under federal obscenity laws.

Maybe a lawyer goon can chime in, I’d love to hear that I’m wrong and that I can send Goatse to unsolicited texts

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

trickybiscuits posted:

Is there any consensus on the smallest appropriate amount to take a former landlord to small claims court for? My ex-landlord is holding back money for repainting a room, which he shouldn't have done because in this state landlords can only take deductions if they return the remainder of the deposit within two weeks and provide documentation of their costs. It's not a lot but I could ask for damages, including punitive damages (landlord has violated the law before, and frankly I'm furious at how I bent over backward to be a nice, compliant tenant).

different cities have different statutes or w/e but talk to a lawyer, you may be surprised at how much you can recover.

Here in Chicago they're supposed to pay 0.01% interest on your deposit, my friend had a similar dispute to yours and his lawyer found out they failed to do this and won a judgement for $14k

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Ornery and Hornery posted:

how do we as buyers figure out if a special assessment is coming?

can we kick down the door to the HOA and demand minutes/finances which indicate a special assessment is coming up?

in illinois the real estate disclosures have you verify that no special assessments are planned

however, a friend of mine sold his condo after a team of engineers came to survey the building for foundation repairs (right after that florida building collapse) but before the plan/cost was revealed and he could indicate 'no' so caveat emptor

you can get special assessment insurance through your homeowners insuranec and its not very expensive, it's a good idea i think

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

bitmap posted:

what the hell are you getting for 1300 a month over your mortgage to live in what looks like an office from the 70's in...pittsburgh?

probably covers gas/water/electricity/cable/internet and a doorman.

it'll be funny to see how these condo assocations deal w the skyrocketing gas prices, maybe they'll issue a special assessment to cover the shortfall

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

https://twitter.com/AlexanderMcCoy4/status/1568819652855271424

The investor class is openly admitting that they're obstructing home building so they can corner the market and no one's doing anything about it.

that just says that they're aware of the shortage and taking advantage of it? Great business savvy nevertheless, we love our Blackrock dont we folks

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Greatly expanding Section 8 seems like the only way for our elected officials to ease the housing crunch

its a public-private partnership and a subsidy to landlords, truly a bipartisan solution for us all

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Ammanas posted:

no build more houses

that's not neoliberal enough and blackrock et al would just buy them up anyways

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

even has central air, not bad

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Houses built in the 1950s might be shittier, all the poor people housing from 1905 has collapsed already but the poor people houses from the 1950s are still around.

There's a big mix in this particular neighborhood where you have housing meant for middle managers built in 1900-1930 with ~1800 sq ft with nearby lots backfilled with normal people housing built in the 1950s with ~900 sq ft and trash layouts.

Older property: https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/1687-New-Haven-Ave_Pittsburgh_PA_15216_M45307-58756?ex=2947820424

Newer property: https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/1424-Dagmar-Ave_Pittsburgh_PA_15216_M41888-45661?ex=2947654711

the pneumatic nailgun and drywall came into widespread use in the 50s, so they could really crank the houses out at that point

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Because money you pay to a landlord is simply gone forever but money you pay to a mortgage may be returned to you when you sell the house. You might even make money on it.

Yup, also your mortgage payment stays constant and your bank cant decide to sell the place and kick you out like with a rental

renting has its pluses in the short term but it was stressful for me around lease renewal time every year to wonder "will she increase rent this year". Now that's been replaced with the stress of "will a major mechanical system poo poo the bed at an inopportune moment"

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Blackhawk posted:

Yeah in some ways I suppose a mortgage could be seen as a common and accessible form of financial leverage, or you could consider property to be a good thing to invest in during market downturns and plan to refinance later if you want to move the money into stocks.

Or you could consider property to be a thing you live in and you want the stability knowing there are fewer ways you could be kicked out onto the street based on somebody else's whim vs. renting, especially if you have kids or a pet.

yeah this. I assume my house will appreciate but if not whatever, i like living here and it was a good value at the time (and i still think it is!!)

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

mawarannahr posted:

i’m going on my third year in a for-profit property and my rent hasn’t gone up at all, should I hug my landlord?

The stories about cranking rent up on stable long term tenants just baffle me .. like maybe my perspective is skewed but if I had a stable tenant i would be terrified to raise rent at all for fear of them leaving

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

anime was right posted:

you can write off loses

the fact that you can write off loses on taxes is one of the premiere failures of the system. you are punished somewhat for failure as a rent-seeker, but rewarded dramatically.

sure, but lets say you go from HOF poster Willa Rogers and your next tenant is How Are U and they text you democrat propaganda all the time

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Willa Rogers posted:

same, except burn degrees.

I don't know what HOF stands for & urban dictionary makes it sound like even I would rather have how are u as a tenant than me. :ohdear:

Willa Rogers posted:

well, that's much better than the shart or w/e the def was on urban dictionary. :sweatdrop:

I'm usually good at sussing out acronyms, too.

:D classic willa

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I know it’s fortune so it’s written for other ghouls but :laffo: at thinking any normal person today with how hosed housing is would feel anything for assholes who buy up homes as investments to drive up costs

"flipping" =/ landlording

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Ammanas posted:

its still incredibly lovely and parasitic. literally all they do is install lovely cheap flooring, cabinents and maybe do a couple repairs on obvious stuff on homes that should be selling low to first time or low income people in crappy neighborhoods. then they add 75k to the price. so 10k in product and (debatably) 5k in labor costs becomes massively more expensive.

if they're buying truly hosed homes and bringing them to livable conditions for a reasonable return, maybe ok. but thats not the majority. they're interceding in a process that working class people would do on their own over time and majorly distorting prices because they had access to such cheap credit.

i didnt read the article so maybe they used the term to desrcibe your first example but im thinking in terms of the second one, buying an abandoned/unlivable home and rehabbing it to neighborhood standards. That's essentially increasing the housing supply.

Even the first example i dont really get .. you're saying the houses should stay old and outdated so poor people can afford them? I dont really think that's what you mean, because the issue is that poor folks cant afford entry level homes with up-to-date finishes--not that entry level homes are built too expensive.

I dont really see the big difference between "contractor renovates home over 6 months for $X and profits $Y at the point of sale" versus "Homeowner renovates home over five years for $X, contractor profits $Y"

Dont get me wrong, it's not done out of altruism and they dont deserve any tears shed over them but i dont think they are a significant negative force on the market.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Paradoxish posted:

It's a problem to assume that housing needs to be endlessly "updated" in this way in the first place, and it's part of what's pushing housing prices beyond affordability for almost everyone.

Who's saying "endlessly" ? How often is it acceptable to update a home in your eyes?

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

WampaLord posted:

Never, now gently caress off.

:qq: some more for me

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Personally I think it’s good when people can live in modernized, safe energy efficient homes.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

The sort of "updates" people are being told they have to do aren't making homes any safer or more energy efficient, they're cosmetic.

Removing interior walls can make a space less energy efficient.

Well then I guess we’re talking past each other. Stuff like new energy efficient windows, better insulation, high efficiency furnaces, lead paint/asbestos remediation, lead pipe remediation, etc

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

When people talk about "updating their homes" they're not talking about that and flippers by and large don't do that poo poo, they paste over problems and throw the house on the market again.

When I was buying in 2015 I looked at a flipper house that was the same price as the one we eventually bought except it was a total loving mess with a new poorly done roofing job with nail head pop-through and an IKEA kitchen "upgrade" that was all hosed up wrt the plumbing. Also the furnace leaked gas into the basement. After I flushed the inspection report and moved on, someone else bought the house and abandoned it a year or two ago.

The house we ended up buying was rejected by multiple buyers because it didn't have a kitchen island. The kitchen is 12'x14', you aren't fitting a fuckin island in there.

amybe not in your area but that stuff's all required by code around here. again, i think we're talking past each other. Sounds like you're talking folks who basiaclly put lipstick on a pig .. no poo poo those guys are unscrupulous actors

"updating your home" means new paint and floors and maybe a new backsplash or two.

Nothus posted:

It seems to me that flipping is entirely a product of easy, low interest-rate financing for both the flippers and the buyers. The current rates should kill it off pretty quickly.

that, and the secret's been out for a while now. i think everyone is aware of the "hidden value" of their outdated home and the bargains that you can turn around and flip for quick profit arent really a thing anymore. The efficient free market wins again

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Paradoxish posted:

Like the answer for how often a home should be updated is actually, literally, "never," at least if you're talking about middlemen who come in and do it for a profit. There's no reason for that ever to happen and it adds effectively zero value for the new buyers, who could have the exact updates and improvements they want for a fraction of the markup they're paying.

ok, sure, agreed

what about a homeowner updating their house before selling it to list it for the highest price possible

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

iCe-CuBe. posted:

How is buying a rental property a scam? Seems like a pretty good deal if this guy is just sitting around making youtube videos all day lol. drat wish I could do that !!

Sour grapes :sad:

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dont poo poo where you .... erm, nvrmind :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

i say swears online posted:

roommate/landlord told me his parents' gasline is out so they need to have their Christmas party here. he's in Missouri for the week. the last time there was a party here he peaced out and it took me three solid days and seven loads of dishes to get it mostly back to normal, still need to clean the stovetop. I told him no, that I veto the plan and so far he's only responding with "lul". I'm loving furious

Establish dominance by loving one of his family members