Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

in nyc there's a contract with almost every real estate transaction. hence the attorney.

and similar to above, in all your interactions with a seller, the seller's agent, your bank, even your own agent, etc., there is no one with your interests explicitly in mind. hence, the attorney. a real estate attorney has done this a million times, there's no "oh, well, forgot about that thing"

practically, i can see why not everyone would need an attorney in a relatively "vanilla" closing elsewhere in the country. However, at the moment something isn't vanilla... i'd rather have an attorney. beyond that, buying a home is the largest transaction most people will ever make. and you're the one with the money. don't you want to do everything you can to make sure everything is kosher, given that everyone wants that money??

e: the lien check mentioned earlier is part of it too. your bank will check. probably. But your attorney WILL check.

nyc is just weird because of how much money is there and almost everyone who is rich enough to live there but isn't independently wealthy work in some professional services capacity.

NYC is also the only place in the us that it is routine for renters to pay 10-15% upfront of the total annual lease to a rental broker who is the only person legally allowed to show the property

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

Eh, you might as well just roll it all together now for new buyers with these interest rates. The amortization schedule on something like a $300k loan at current rates is dire and you'll probably pay $100k in interest before you've even doubled your equity in the home. We're definitely at the point where anyone without a very large down payment who isn't planning on staying in their home for a very long time might legitimately spend less by renting.

Not even remotely intended to be an argument in favor of renting, just saying that equity is a bad argument right now when a $350k home might legitimately end up costing you three-quarter million dollars, and you'll ultimately eat a lot of that interest in the years that you're waiting for a refi.

avg rent increases at 8.8% nationally for the last 40 years means even if you ignore everything else the mortgage is still far better

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

why are all those house shows Canadians 80% of the time? is it because canadas real estate market has been hosed longer?

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

is coach house the term for converted garage? like carriage house for converted stables?

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

anonumos posted:

Nah man you forgot interest. Mortgage payment is closer to $1700. Gotta charge $2500 to make it worth the headache.

Loan amount $223,100
Total interest paid $321,311
Total cost of loan $544,411
Payoff date Jul 2053

Principal & interest $1,511
Property tax +151
Homeowner's insurance +66
PMI +0
HOA fees +0
Total monthly payment =$1,728

Add a few hundred for PMI since I put a down payment of 3% into the calculator.

eh - it’s honestly more predatory - typically rent only dwarfs the mortgage payment for the poorest people because they have no cash and get taken advantage of

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

The Oldest Man posted:

I think most dogs smell gross (including my own past dogs) but my current dog smells weirdly pleasant. Like what a dog scented candle would smell like.

part Dalmatian?

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I'm pretty sure he's just a regular human

lol

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

actionjackson posted:

5% down on 635k home with 10/1 ARM at current rates (around 6.4%, which isn't even that much better than fixed) is over 7k/month

it’s a poor financial decision for sure but 10/1 arms are still 30 years so the payment is like $300 a month less for the first 10 years

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I'm not sure it's possible right now to make anything that's not a poor financial decision, unless you bought ten years ago.

yeah although I meant in terms of people without a lot of money trying to use all sorts of rich people financial instruments.

although what is really hosed up is houses are EVEN MORE expensive with no corresponding drop in avg home price but yet - renting with annual inflation and never being able to set it at a constant means those who can’t afford continue to get poorer.

love our vulture based economics :|

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

I don’t remember what caused it - probably the balanced budget act or whatever bullshit - but the American government is designed such that on the off chance someone in power really improved people’s lives, it will sunset within 5 years lol

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

actionjackson posted:

found the price history

amazing

is this one of those things where the person in 2022 bought it from their grandma who charged them the assessed value or something?

lol at the 4 sales that look like they went into inspection and found a horrific problem and everyone backs out — the. they just resist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

War and Pieces posted:

Theres a slim chance I might get my plumbing and electric in BEFORE my insulation im so psyched

if Grover did not exist, we’d have to invent him