Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

I’ve posted about cheap houses in Detroit in the doomsday thread, but it sure looks like everything rehabbable is being bought up, with everything else being left to absolute ruin. a quick look at the stats and yep, even in extraordinarily undesirable rustbelt cities surrounded by blight, homes have gone up on average by 28% in the last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

19 o'clock posted:

thing is: I’m an accountant. I took the CPA exam out of my own pocket because I thought it would be a good career move.

the local bus service is offering the same bonus to new bus drivers as I would receive once I get my license at this job.

interest rate hikes over the past two months wiped out ~$90k in buying power. what really sucks is not only knowing I’m too poor to afford a home but also being excessively skilled in articulating it in myriad forms of hard numbers.

that’s crazy. when we bought in 2018, we had a combined income of maaaybe 90k, but they could only use my wife’s credit because I’m a fuckup. we got approved for 150k, which was definitely enough at the time for a decent 1200sqft house in a medium neighborhood. I still have price alerts on for the area, and you have to go to worse neighborhoods for shittier houses that are probably not worth buying.

I’m not sure we’ll ever be able to leave, even if our house did gain 80k in “value”.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

i am harry posted:

only second home buyers have to front 20% and the idea that you need 20% stops loads of people who [could afford] a house from even looking into it.
I ONLY knew about this because I asked my brother-in-law straight up what they paid to get into a $200,000 house almost a decade ago and his answer was $10k and I was like wtf I can get that

ya, you could do this in 2018. closing costs including 3% down payment on a 130k house was 8k, at 3.75%. we were about to look for another apartment when we ran the numbers, and even with pmi, taxes and everything else, the monthly mortgage was a couple hundred less than most rents in the area.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

tbh our place was a former rental and in pretty rough shape, but they did a nice job redoing the kitchen and it went a long way on selling us on the place.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

reminds me of

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

Ornery and Hornery posted:

what job did it get you? pleasure share your journey. I am interested and looking for hope.

this is probably a trap, but some code boot camps are legit and will bend over backwards to get you hired somewhere. I 4xed my income and have not and will never be anything other than a decent developer. the benefits, flexibility and opportunity are pretty astonishing as a former retail/service worker.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

sold to my mom in 84 for 57k, she sold in 2018 for 359k it’s now estimated by Zillow to be 460k. inflation adjusted, it was a 150k house.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

bawfuls posted:

a fun little wrinkle I've discovered since buying a house for the first time this year, is that doing so must have tripped a bunch of flags in the automated scammer ecosystem because the volume of scam calls/texts/snail mail we've gotten since closing is truly ridiculous

everything from a piece of mail that looks like a paycheck but is actually a predatory loan who's terms you agree to by cashing it, to junk mail from home depot "congratulating" us on the purchase, to fake "missed package delivery" mail urging us to call some number

i wonder how much of the mass that the usps transports each day is just junk and scammy bullshit that immediately goes into the trash

iirc, Home Depot does send a few legit good coupons to new home buyers. or maybe that was in a stack of papers from my lender/title place idk

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

External Organs posted:

The most well done thing in my home is the very clearly done telephone wiring, I think this place had like 3 numbers at one point. It's so meticulous and beautiful.

And completely useless.

our PO’s has an extensive security system, as well as an intercom system for the basement, which for a 1200sq house seems pointless because someone can sneeze anywhere upstairs or downstairs and I can hear it at any other spot in the house. I pulled down two full garbage bags of completely useless wiring.

this was absolutely either a former rental or a flip, and the only thing they bothered to do was upgrade the kitchen with new cabinets and counter top (no appliances) and reglaze the tub and tile in the bathroom. poo poo like this wiring, and the completely overgrown landscaping were trivial but time consuming things to fix.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

Salt Fish posted:

Somebody moved into a house about 200m from me and installed an anti-loitering ultrasonic pinger that's attached to a motion detector. Now whenever I walk down the sidewalk to get to the trail I get to have a headache lmfao

It's like 100+db of 20Khz sound, I'm old as poo poo and I can easily hear it its madness. Humans are such dogshit.

ahh holy poo poo there’s one at the end of my block too. it triggers on proximity and sounds like a rising tinnitus tone. it really sucks!

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

my pmi is like 40 bucks a month, which means every year we pay the bank the 480 bucks, which is about the increase in monthly rent from our last apartment 4 years ago.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

international air bnbs are probably not as insane. we stayed in one at a rad location in seoul, and it was just this lady who had an apartment with a separate living quarter. she gave us pointers for the area, tea, clued us into local customs and stuff like that. way way way better than a hotel and 1/3rd the price. I’d imagine this is closer to what the experience should be unless you need to financialize everything.

we also used it to scout locations in Nicaragua, and saved a ton of money by just emailing the establishments separately.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

Chakan posted:

We bought a house last month because our rent is relatively cheap and we spent almost ten years saving up. The number of family members who say “oh it’s such a nice starter home, perfect for now and you can sell it in a few years” is astounding. Where the gently caress do they think the money will come from? Why are they such assholes about it? It’s car brain, but worse!

ez: house price go up, sell for money, ignore the realities that underpin every aspect of these transactions

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

A Bad King posted:

triple post but I'm just screaming into the void here god drat like, how the gently caress. How. Is this the only way to solve the housing crisis! Why is this the answer, a giant rear end-stain of an isolation cube of poo poo! It's loving debilitating! We're killing our mental health as we murder the natural world that spawned us and for what -- the shape of a loving hellbox to watch our world finally burn in the hubris of poo poo we are leaving for our children?! Is this the treat?! The aspirational middle point of a well-lived life? Where is the child supposed to play for gently caress's sake?! Are the birds just supposed to not exist?! Domesticated farm animals would reject this hellscape of a ecology and lay over and die than live in it. This is a spiritual death camp.

in my metro area, everything outside the ring of 1960ish sprawl is this. the wealthy have fled to them, and it’s a fuckin trip pulling up to a whole gigantic field of nearly identical McMansions, with the new concrete and not a tree in sight. it feels like a movie set.

my mom grew up in the area and remembers riding her bike to the farms and orchards outside of town. the spot she specifically referenced is a mall, and the deathsprawl continues for like 15 miles in every direction around it.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

want to be entombed in a mausoleum? why wait buy today.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/...uiMXhdi2LNzSrP_

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

https://www.freep.com/story/news/lo...n=snd-autopilot

quote:

Soon, in Bloomfield Township, Ishbia will own Michigan’s largest occupied house, estimated to be at least 60,000 square feet when it’s complete, says the township assessor’s office

quote:

One of those tear-downs is where he lives now. It's a 22,000-square-foot house that Ishbia built after demolishing two other houses, both of them 1950s ranch houses — the style that was hot in the nation's housing boom after World War II. Aging ranch houses sometimes gain additions, growing up with second stories, or out with new kitchens and family rooms. In affluent areas, they've been leveled for the last two decades, making way for new, more fashionable and much larger houses. Nowhere in Michigan, however, have ranch houses made way for anything this big.

quote:

Ishbia's current house is by no means an expendable ranch. It's only eight years old, has won design awards and starred in glossy design magazines. It seems far too new to destroy

it’ll have trampoline park, lazy river, batting cages, rock walls, waterfalls etc etc, and he razed normal houses, including his own current 22000 sqft house to do it.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

Thoguh posted:

I feel like a huge dummy for buying a reasonable house that I could easily afford the payments on because now 7 years later we have kids and also now have a much better idea of what we want in a house but woops, can’t move.Even a marginal upgrade would at least double the mortgage payment.

Shoulda bought the max they would have given me a loan for back in 2016.

extremely same. I have a feeling that when we do pull the trigger in a few years, the bubble will burst and we’ll have 2008’ed ourselves for an extra office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

ProperGanderPusher posted:

It’s been very revealing moving to the burbs and meeting so many people who are utterly terrified of intruders and thieves despite the fact nothing ever happens in our part of town. Everyone has those home security system thingies that cost like fifty to a hundred bucks a month. I ask them if all that money they’re dumping into the home security system is worth it, and they tell me it’s mostly to protect their daughters and wives from serial killers and rapists. Everyone has plenty of guns on top of that and constantly shares fantasies of blasting limbs off of trespassers and nailing them to trees and other chud tough guy poo poo like that.

It would be funny if it didn’t make everyone paranoid and adversarial towards each other until each side can prove they aren’t a threat (e.g. be white).

we live in the low-rent area of our very wealthy county (average home price is probably 200-250k) and the only time we really lock our doors is when we go out of town. we go over to the wealthier areas for the nicer toddler playgrounds, and there was a dude open carrying yesterday. first time I’ve ever seen that in 30 years of living in the area.