Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
I’m seriously despondent over this poo poo. I *finally* scored a guillotine-qualifying (barely, not considering inflation over the past year) job and I’m able to afford rent :toot:.

I’m 38. I lived off of my house savings when the pandemic wrecked my career track. I’m not starting from zero but I didn’t even have quite 10% saved in 2020 before Covid kicked off. now I’m down to around 3% (against the low-end of the current market) saved, I missed the sweet low% lending that was available, and people/institutions are bidding over ask/waiving inspections to snag what’s available.

so the game plan is….save aggressively for ten years as real estate continues to appreciate, lock in a 30 year mortgage, and then I’ll be almost 80 when it’s paid off?

I have effectively zero retirement stashed away after starting my career in 2008 (pay cuts due to the financial crisis were fun fresh out of college). I got through college due to student loans (revamped in 2008 under Obama iirc, so mine were high% which also sucked). I paid those off by starting a business I ran on the weekends for the past decade while I climbed the ladder in my career track.

all that poo poo got wrecked and/or rendered irrelevant in 2020. it’s since been made worse by how money was tossed around during the pandemic. why even bother trying anymore.

which is it? save for retirement, save for a house, or (god-forbid) try meeting someone to start a family at my relatively advanced age. it feels absolutely hopeless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Ammanas posted:

yeah youre priced out of a home, save diligently for retirement and marry a high earner.

thing is: I’m an accountant. I took the CPA exam out of my own pocket because I thought it would be a good career move.

the local bus service is offering the same bonus to new bus drivers as I would receive once I get my license at this job.

interest rate hikes over the past two months wiped out ~$90k in buying power. what really sucks is not only knowing I’m too poor to afford a home but also being excessively skilled in articulating it in myriad forms of hard numbers.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

meanolmrcloud posted:

that’s crazy. when we bought in 2018, we had a combined income of maaaybe 90k, but they could only use my wife’s credit because I’m a fuckup. we got approved for 150k, which was definitely enough at the time for a decent 1200sqft house in a medium neighborhood. I still have price alerts on for the area, and you have to go to worse neighborhoods for shittier houses that are probably not worth buying.

I’m not sure we’ll ever be able to leave, even if our house did gain 80k in “value”.

I’m looking at $300k condos boasting 600-900sqft right now and that needs some reconsideration on account of interest rates. it’s not very motivating.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

LGD posted:

that'd be my conclusion as well, save for retirement and focus on personal life, both are highly worthy goals on their own and can potentially lead you to home ownership/secure housing down the road (and give you greater flexibility)

e:

that really sucks

tbh I think this is an issue with a bunch of relatively "higher status" but low-ish pay white collar jobs at the moment, which have been used to taking advantage of stagnant wages and sense that they're something to be aspired to, and because they're "professional"/often were able to be at least partially remote/didn't suffer as much COVID-turnover have been slower to adapt than public-facing hourly service positions

I might just be generalizing too much from my wife's experience trying to hire people for back office positions at a credit union, which has incredibly good benefits but is objectively underpaid (something she's not in a position to address atm, despite her efforts) - it's hard to sell people on the idea that a job is a "career" or keep talented people if [absent benefits] working at a literal car wash pays about the same

it’s (obviously) weighing on me a bunch. my modest world got rocked by Covid and at mid-life I’m evaluating what to do and how I want to spend my remaining years. if I could have built something out of my career I’d feel better about it but as it stands I’m locked into renting. busy season hours + continuing professional education after hours + the general boring nature of the work just doesn’t feel worth it.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

RC Cola posted:

I hear Pittsburgh is cheap and affordable

I can’t justify a bike that nice, though.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
gettin calf mogged in the housing market thread

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Lacrosse posted:

My loan officer was actively talking me out of 20% down. They kept insisting on 3.5% because the PMI would be so low it'd be better to save the rest of the down-payment for something else.

you can use that money to convert half of it into an AirBnB and get on that Side Hustle grindset #CEO #FIRE

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

i am harry posted:

I ONLY knew about this because I asked my brother-in-law straight up what they paid to get into a $200,000 house almost a decade ago and his answer was $10k and I was like wtf I can get that

this

i never knew how little my friends were putting down until I started asking a couple years back. I’m a sucker.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

i am harry posted:

im afraid of this is happening for everyone.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

empty whippet box posted:

what's that mean? that less mortgages are going to be processed because the market's about to crash and everyone's houses are about to lose a bunch of value, and then subsequently get bought by extremely rich people who then jack the prices up to higher than they were before(now)?

my interpretation is that with how much institutional money has flooded into the market in earnest (i.e., REIT's are now playing the game instead of the mere financialization of individual ownership via MBS's) that poor people who have to borrow money to own a house will have a harder time doing so. That means they'll have an even harder time borrowing the excessive amount necessary to compete with above-asking cash offers from institutional investors. The market will cool a little bit but it won't crash because (1) those who already own are locked in at low rates and (2) institutions are already just renting out what they bought anyways and borrowed at even lower rates than individual homeowners ever had access to to begin with.

Basically those who had a balance sheet to begin with won out. Those of us trying to build a balance sheet are now further priced out.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

vyelkin posted:

looking for a new apartment and i cant afford any of these places lol

same

I gotta move in two weeks. lol. :rip:

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Nice and hot piss posted:

If I cut the tree down in my backyard I could probably put in an ADU that barely meets living standards, and charge $1500 a month.

I too wish to be a piece of poo poo landlord

it's the new way society works. full commodification of every last fragment of our lives.

you can burn that tree to generate power to mine for bitcoin.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

entitled much?

edit: snipe. here's some content i posted in the economics thread a while back:

more on the fun of the Denver housing market. this likely applies elsewhere/everywhere:

How much do renters, buyers need to make to afford living in the metro area?

the article posted:

The Article posted:
Monthly payments on both condos and single-family homes doubled since 2015. They went from $1,234 to almost $2,470 for a condo or townhome, and from $1,999 to $4,003 a month for a single-family home.

The amount of yearly pretax income needed to pay those amounts and not be cost-burdened has also doubled.

A one-bedroom apartment in 2015 required $54,690 a year. A condo or townhome would require roughly the same at $55,545. That condo in 2022 would require $111,180 a year.

A single-family homebuyer needed an annual income of $89,955 in 2015. Now they need $180,135 a year.

what’s the point of even working anymore. just…why?

19 o'clock has issued a correction as of 23:07 on Apr 23, 2022

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

bi crimes posted:

there's joy to be had in a job well done

hell yeah

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
crossquoting from the doomsday Econ thread:

totally normal and sustainable

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

SorePotato posted:

Imo ban all posters who own property. Tf are you doing here

the housing crisis thread turned into a bunch of computer touchers complaining about how expensive their kitchen remodels are.

this thread should be moved to D&D where it can have brunch. shameful!

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

AnimeIsTrash posted:

they should be killed

:hmmyes:

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
“look, I know you feel that being homeless sucks but have you SEEN how expensive good looking cabinets (just the cabinets!) cost!?!”

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

shrike82 posted:

i'd be surprised if the majority of posters over 35 don't own a place

home ownership is still pretty common

yeah I’m almost 40 and gonna just die in a ditch at this point because I’m a poor person. I should have become a realtor.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

CongoJack posted:

My place is at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20500, it's an old remodel. If you need a place to stay just hop the fence and knock on the front door, I work from home most of the time.

this reads like the plot to an Ernest movie.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the previous owners installed so many cabinets in the kitchen/living room/greatroom that there's literally nowhere to hang a picture (aside from the fireplace)

i don't even have a spot to mount one of those magnetic knife holder bar things, it's completely absurd. i had to order a box of 100 to replace all the cabinet knobs

all the previous owners were olds so we spent most of our money after the purchase repainting all the walls, previously it was a crimson flower pattern and gingham wallpaper nightmare. at least there aren't pebbled glass jalousie windows everywhere

i carry a can of bearspray when I check the mail because my neighbor tried killing his girlfriend last year

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

if he couldn't even kill a girl what are you worried about

lol

when it was happening I called the cops and they said, "yeah, about four other people also called we're on our way"

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

General Dog posted:

I paid down about 60% down on my house when I bought a couple of years ago, but once the pandemic came along and interest rates dropped to nothing compared to the 4.5% I was paying, I decided to just go ahead and pay the rest of the thing off. I don’t know if that makes sense or not, but it feels nice not to owe anything on it.

you deserve it more

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
but have you considered how difficult it is to hang pictures in your newly remodeled kitchen? suddenly owning doesn’t sound so great, does it?

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
it really just sucks. I’m apartment hunting right now and deciding if I should (a) find the cheapest thing possible so I can save money to potentially be competitive in bidding but also probably be miserable because lovely apartments suck or (b) find something nice and just YOLO and not save and live a happier life in the meantime.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
nah, you should learn to code and invest in crypto. do something society needs and you will be rewarded.

thank me later.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
dude if they forgive student debt that’ll be the ultimate own against me. i worked weekends for years to get ahead and pay that poo poo off so I could save for a house.

loll

lmaoo

I should have just borrowed for a house and deferred my loans. even if there is no student debt relief I would have been way ahead. bootstraps are for suckers.

Mod edit: removed some personal information

Somebody has issued a correction as of 16:54 on Apr 27, 2022

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
Mod edit: removed some personal information

Somebody has issued a correction as of 16:54 on Apr 27, 2022

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
mod edit: removed some personal information

Somebody has issued a correction as of 17:11 on Apr 27, 2022

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Relevant Tangent posted:

mod edit: removed some personal information

lol

Somebody has issued a correction as of 17:31 on Apr 27, 2022

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

TeenageArchipelago posted:

:yeah:

One of these days I'll be the mega corp

me too

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Flipper buys it, paints everything gray, remodels ONLY the kitchen and bathroom, and puts back on the market in 6 months for twice the price. Soon to be bought WFH tech workers or retirees from another state.

denver_metro.txt

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
Speaking of short term rentals, you guys reminded me of this local'ish gem:

Summit County second-home owners report struggles if their properties aren’t paid for by short-term renters]

quote:

Summit County local Timothy Paynter has owned a second property in Breckenridge for 20 years that he rents for six months out of the year.

His studio loft has served him during that time, but now Paynter has a 2-year-old grandson who he wants to grow up in the county and attend Summit County schools.

“I’ve looked at the programs that they offer in Summit County, and I’m impressed that there’s golfing and there’s skiing and there’s rock climbing and there’s swimming,” Paynter said, “and I’d like him to be part of all of that.”

Therefore, Paynter wants to buy a different property in Summit County, one where he can expand his home to welcome his grandson and his grandson’s parents. However, with the increased price of housing, he would need to rent it.
He said during peak seasons and holidays, he and his family could open a room in their home for a renter because there’s so much money to be made during the peak season.

However, Paynter isn’t able to get a short-term license in many neighborhoods, and the ones where he could obtain a license are far out of his price range, he said.

he just wants to achieve his dream of being a landlord :qq:

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Come to the San Luis Valley. We have alligators and sand. And an airbnb with camels.

https://www.uncovercolorado.com/camels-in-colorado/

So loving weird here. Also 2 murders in the last two months (one was yesterday), and an attempted murder on a cop two months ago.

Wild.

oh poo poo! I was looking at land down there because lol at buying anything north of the springs. reading into the water situation and it just sounded too risky to start making moves. are you homesteading down there?

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Not yet. Someday.

My friend owns 40 acres outside Mosca. Water was 10 feet from the top of the well in October. We have a pretty good amount of water, but Denver has been trying to pipe it out for years. As long as snow falls on the Sangres and San Juans, we'll have water.

Been a dry winter on the valley floor though. We've had maybe 3 inches of snow all winter.

Land down here is cheap. You can get 35-40 acres for $20-30k. Hersing will drill you up to a 100 foot well for around $11k. Be warned though, if they hit water at 20 feet, they're only drilling to 50 total. They also know septic people that work relatively cheap. Lots of sulphur in the water.

You need 35 acres to irrigate 1 acre on residentially zoned land here. Anything smaller, indoor use only.

You will want to look into the job situation here, because it's a pretty tight market.

E: Bears and mountain lions roam the valley floor sometimes. Something to keep in mind if you're thinking about going this rural. A bear was spotted a few miles south of my friend's house a while back, at least 25 miles from the mountains. Wild horses, too, but those are also a "keep your distance" thing.

E2: I can also get you the number for a solar electrician.

I'm sorry I slept on this response! I haven't had time to sit at my Posting Station.

I was looking at the "smaller" lots of 5-10 acres. was trying to find land with a grandfathered well already on-site after reading that approval for a new well might be a crapshoot if the aquifers are in rough shape. like you mentioned: others are trying to grab the water.. That level of uncertainty coupled with the fact that my career very much keeps me in the city means it's just an idea I was playing with in lieu of the mayhem of the Denver market. Still keeping an eye out in case I *crack ping* and need to just disappear and do spirograph art for the rest of my life.

Thanks for the info and offers to help on the setup! Off-grid living would be a hell of a project. I've successfully made space for all of those guys except a mountain lion (but I understand that not seeing them at all is ideal). heading home from work one night and coming within 30 feet of a moose doe was the closest I'd come to any of the wildlife simply because I didn't see her until I was that close (way too loving close. moose are loving huge).

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I wish anybody knew actual poo poo about what home prices are going to do.

but alas nobody does so I will stay frozen with indecision

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Ornery and Hornery posted:

please give me a large lump sum of cash

a mortgage broker unironically advised me to ask this of my friends and family

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Red Baron posted:

we will find out what happens in ten years when critical mass has been reached and not a single second beforehand

it's true :smith:

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

it's fine tbh, just would be cool to be able to buy a home is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Minecraft Holmes posted:

it's time we started scamming all the elderly out of their homes

i propose mortal kombat