Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Springfield Fatts posted:

Is this the thread to post in if I am in the final stages of buying a house after 10 months of looking / fighting dozens of offers on every loving property we look at and to be pushed two cities further from work due to rising costs and shrinking inventory and though all media tells me I should be high fiving my wife in slow-mo while we pick plants for the front yard I instead feel all-encompassing dread mixed a seething desire for this whole awful process to just be finished?

I want to buy a house right now but I also don't want this for myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The Demilich posted:

Do we have a homesteading thread?

There's an actual one in the hobby forum or the outdoor forum. I forget which.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

boo boo bear posted:

one of my grandmas used to have carpeted floor in her bathroom. absolutely terrifying experience.

My house growing up had carpeted bathrooms ama

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Is it a regional thing?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Probably should have said beforehand, the valley is a weird loving place. Linda Moulton Howe (Ancient Aliens) got her big break in the 70s reporting animal mutilations out here. As such, there's a big UFO community vibe. Lots of people living in 50 year old trailers miles away from town. A lot of alternative religion types out in Crestone. There's an alligator preserve. The great sand dunes. The San Juans and Sangre de Cristos. Wetlands, farms, hot springs (one with clothing optional days), forests and a desert.

Land tends to be cheap here because of the climate, location, and how useless a lot of it is in the central part of the valley. You can get land here for less than $1k/acre in some parts, but for $2k/acre you get into decent area where water is less than 10 feet down right now.

Most of the people I've met here are fine. Small town neighborly vibe with a lot, but we have our fair share of meth and fentanyl people. The cold winters drive a lot of people away.

I drove through there a few years ago and wanted to stop at the UFO stuff but didn't have time. It's weird how long it takes to drive from one side of the valley to the other, even though you can see across the whole way.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Look,maybe those people are ok with it, but I'm not.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I took 149 through Creede and Lake City.

Lake City seems like it might have an inbreeding problem.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I'm always scared to make maintenance requests because the landlord obviously uses them as excuses to raise the rent. A bunch of stuff rotted last year, so we had to ask for repairs, and then the landlord increased our rent more than she ever has before.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I made a deal with my landlord that I'd maintain the landscaping in exchange for lower rent, and she agreed. A few months later when we renewed our lease she simply raised the rent back to where it'd been before. So now I'm cutting the lawn for free basically.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I have actually maintained it as a low-mow lawn with some wildflowers mixed in, but she still pitched a fit the one time she drove by. I actually wanted to do the landscaping myself. The part I'm annoyed with is the immediate rent increase.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I have a hard time understanding how bad a hurricane is going to be. I can never remember the categories.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

See Rock City

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

https://fortune.com/2022/10/10/home-flippers-are-in-trouble-again/

oh nooo

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I'd be opposed to flipping just from their aesthetic choices alone. Every house around here that got remodeled in the last couple of years is gray and white.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The stereotypical house flip (and I don't know what portion of them fit this description, but it's what's being criticized) is mostly focused on aesthetics and a few flashy upgrades that help it sell rather than important things like plumbing or electrical work. New paint, kitchen appliances, granite countertops, etc.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

again, i think we're talking past each other.

Yeah!! Everyone else is talking about house flipping and you're talking about sensible renovations.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I haven't had a dishwasher in almost ten years. My landlord says she can't afford one lmao

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

ope

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/venessawong/housing-market-buyers-remorse-homeowner-regret

quote:

Riggins tried her best to shake off her nerves and moved ahead with the sale. It was a relief to finally be able to move her kids out of the hotel, but by the time she closed in July, her mortgage rate was 6%, setting off a chain of financial consequences she was unprepared for. “I feel like I bought more problems,” she said.

Riggins’s monthly rent had only been $800 a month; her mortgage payment for a home of the same size is about $1,500. The house also needed repairs that her inspector did not catch. None of the kitchen appliances worked. There were electrical issues. The roof needed to be fixed. She found mold under the cabinets. “I feel like I was really screwed over and put in a really bad space,” she said.

Riggins depleted her savings and has nearly maxed out her credit cards, which she previously kept only for emergencies. She downsized from an SUV to a sedan to reduce her car payments. Riggins is getting by paycheck to paycheck now, and earning extra money by working for Instacart and renting out her car. Still, there was no wiggle room to take her daughter out for her birthday this year.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

A lot of people felt pressured and rushed into bad purchases. The woman in my quote for example was only looking to buy because she had to move out of her rental because rents shot up everywhere.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

They doubled the housing density on that plot :)

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

They could have built something similar to what's on the left or right and quintupled it or better.

Hell yeah

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Oh, that hurts. That was a pretty house.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

They have dropped -- the house across the street from me went down $5k!

(they did an open house the other day and no one showed up)

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The brick can't hurt you if you paint over it

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Seems fine if you're into that kind of thing (the shark, not the bible quote)

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I've looked at too much r/neckbeardnests to be phased by that room

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Proper roommate response is to dump all that stuff in their bedroom and have a big fight when they get back, both feeling entirely smugly justified for your own behavior.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Those brick tree rings are far too small.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I asked someone on the planning commission if the city was considering doing away with single-family zoning, and I'm pretty sure they tried to tell me that multifamily zoning was the actual problem. I, uh..

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

anime was right posted:

it is to what they hate (poor people and minorities)

The interesting twist is that they seemed to be blaming multi-family zoning for the destruction of minority communities. Which, yeah, historically black neighborhoods have largely been zoned multi-family here, but the conclusion isn't that we need to expand single-family zoning to protect minorities.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

relevant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvdQ381K5xg

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Greg12 posted:

many people think the role of planning is to plan for property owners' investments to grow in value forever

Yeah they were really making a racial equity argument that went in the wrong direction. In their view black property owners were denied the advantages that come from single-family zoning, thus multi-family zoning was to blame. Great starting point with a terrible conclusion.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

That's one of the worst gray-overs I've ever seen.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

same house

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

palindrome posted:

I'd take it, kitchen looks to have a decent layout. Good sink, hood over the range. Marble floor is questionable bordering on tasteless, but functionally it looks way nicer than any apartment I've lived in. That trim is also a little alarming since it infers they took numerous other shortcuts. Oh well, kitchens don't leak do they?

$400k for 860 sq ft

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

That is my dream house

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

it's subsiding down a hillside

same

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Troutful posted:

build quality aside, I'd love to have a soulless all-white kitchen like this, seems a lot easier to keep clean than my apartment kitchens which have all had some kind of vermin-brown color scheme

The linoleum floor in my kitchen is such a disgusting smear of browns that I can't believe it was ever manufactured, much less sold and installed anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

A gas leaf blower is essentially a car's exhaust pipe. Barbaric tool.