Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Not a Children posted:

It's me, I was the idiot who lived lean through my 20s and saved up a 20% down payment

I'd have come out far, far ahead if I'd just gone all-in on a 3% down payment 2 years out of school

we can afford 20-25%% because we've lived very frugally for a decade but dont have the income to service the mortgage lol lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

indigi posted:

you still could by putting 5% down now and doing something else with the remainder

INVEST IN BITCOIN

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Good.

I'm not sure what the bigger contributor to housing inflation is, AirBNBs, or gigantic investment firms like Blackrock or Predatory Real Estate companies like Redfin.

millenials being frozen out of the market from 2004-2018 due to economics, boomers not loving dying and staying in their homes, ton of demand and 3 trillion of liquidity and 0% interest for Capital and nowhere for them to invest it except property = new bubble that wont burst until the neolib collapse and fascist takeover

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Good news workers 28-45!! you will be able to buy a house in around 10 years. bad news, all minorties and non-evangelicals will be hunted down and forced into camps and the world is on fire and there is no water

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Cpt_Obvious posted:

At this point I've gotten so many offers for my house I'm considering just countering with some insane number and seeing if they bite.

if youre getting offere from investors they are offerring way under what the market will pay

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

19 o'clock posted:

I’m seriously despondent over this poo poo. I *finally* scored a guillotine-qualifying (barely, not considering inflation over the past year) job and I’m able to afford rent :toot:.

I’m 38. I lived off of my house savings when the pandemic wrecked my career track. I’m not starting from zero but I didn’t even have quite 10% saved in 2020 before Covid kicked off. now I’m down to around 3% (against the low-end of the current market) saved, I missed the sweet low% lending that was available, and people/institutions are bidding over ask/waiving inspections to snag what’s available.

so the game plan is….save aggressively for ten years as real estate continues to appreciate, lock in a 30 year mortgage, and then I’ll be almost 80 when it’s paid off?

I have effectively zero retirement stashed away after starting my career in 2008 (pay cuts due to the financial crisis were fun fresh out of college). I got through college due to student loans (revamped in 2008 under Obama iirc, so mine were high% which also sucked). I paid those off by starting a business I ran on the weekends for the past decade while I climbed the ladder in my career track.

all that poo poo got wrecked and/or rendered irrelevant in 2020. it’s since been made worse by how money was tossed around during the pandemic. why even bother trying anymore.

which is it? save for retirement, save for a house, or (god-forbid) try meeting someone to start a family at my relatively advanced age. it feels absolutely hopeless.

yeah youre priced out of a home, save diligently for retirement and marry a high earner.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Shageletic posted:

Crazy to think that the US government at one point was so concerned about low home ownership rates that they bought 4 out of 5 homes and then sold it for a loss to middle class (mostly white) families.

Versus them doing.....absolutely nothing today

Think it's time to give Blackrock another tax cut

when was this, tell us more

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

buying a home without down payments is part of why house prices have escalated so much. small part but absolutely a part.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

yes and new homes built when the interest rate was 15-20% were 80k while median household income was around 24k.

again, median household income right now is around 32k while houses cost 4-10 times what they used to. it is an insane situation, there's no other way to describe it.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Bar Ran Dun posted:

median US household is 67 K.

oops.my bad

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

19 o'clock posted:

what’s the point of even working anymore. just…why?

because not working results in starvation or severe deprivation? because working is the only way to access the health care system? because you dont have a choice (theres a word for this)?

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

i am harry posted:

actually not working gives you better healthcare in the United States of America it’s called Medicaid and works exactly like insurance except you don’t pay anything because you’re poor and the United States of America uses it’s ability to collectively bargain on behalf of all people on Medicaid to set the price for services and drugs

my wife was on medicaid years ago and she literally could not find a single doctor that'd take it to sign up with so anytime she needed care she went to an ER

maybe its better now with ACA but back then it was functionally useless

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

War and Pieces posted:

went to look at a $150k house that hade the basement window punched out and the furnace (and gas meter) stolen

sold for 275k with all contingencies waived

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

synapse posted:

it looks very nice. i would love to host Thanksgiving dinner for all of my family and friends there.

thats clearly a Sex Kitchen. The Food Kitchen is in the east wing

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

i remodelled my toilet this morning with a massive poo poo

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

General Dog posted:

I paid down about 60% down on my house when I bought a couple of years ago, but once the pandemic came along and interest rates dropped to nothing compared to the 4.5% I was paying, I decided to just go ahead and pay the rest of the thing off. I don’t know if that makes sense or not, but it feels nice not to owe anything on it.

cool, really glad for you 🙏 blessings

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

ahhh nevermind misread

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

housing is healthcare

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

When Americans buy a house, they usually go for the most expensive place they can afford with a 30 year mortgage. I think >90% of mortgages are for 30 year. Hell, even when renting or leasing people still go for the most expensive place they can afford.

its more that the baseline is the most expensive they can afford

there are no starter homes anymore

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

bawfuls posted:

the story behind the picture is “Detroit” no?

yes

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

i am harry posted:

they’re held over the seat by a small plastic ring that sits inside the fabric. when you piss and poo poo all over yourself and one, you can just take it off and pop it in a washing machine

enjoy your feces covered seat

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

i say swears online posted:

my internalized "more money = better than" has murdered my self esteem and I wallow in pity instead of improving things because it seems so daunting. I see my friends in do-nothing makework jobs and honestly tell myself I couldn't do it; I've never worked in an office or gotten a salary before and I'm 37 so it all seems so impossible because I graduated into the 2008 recession and nothing ever gets better

you sound a lot like me except im 40, i did a retail.sales job i liked but paid 45k until COVID so i got on the state job treadmill and just got a promotion

i loving hate office work its mentally exhausting and tedious but at least i dont have to stand all day and my idiot to work ratio is lower now, plus wfh

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Ornery and Hornery posted:

there are only two classes, comrade

i think i took more than 2 classes in school idiot

I can only afford housing if I have a life partner because then we can split costs lol

yea the Economy is based on 2+ income households plus Side Hustles

this is by design

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Drunkboxer posted:

my parents home is only $71k on zillow. buncha old money ghouls itt

must be in a real shithole area or something then, basically the shittiest home in any slightly livable market had rocketed up over the last 5 years

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

indigi posted:

yeah because number will go down and the rich will consolidate power even further

as opposed to periods of economic growth where number go up and the rich consolidate power even further

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

indigi posted:

mortgages should be indexed to inflation

the word for that is rent

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Fozzy The Bear posted:

My old realtor sends me these generated emails about the housing market where I live:

price drops are neat but with interest rates rising your payment is either the same or more

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

the dry, hot conditions are great for seniors and those afflicted with consumption.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

anime was right posted:

the housing crisis of 08 led to mostly flat prices in high demand areas but crashes everywhere else. i imagine places like portland, bozeman, and austin will continue to stay elevated or maybe dip a little bit. phoenix will probably eat major poo poo again.

Sacramentos houses went to complete poo poo, all the 600k listings now were sold back then for 128-250k. IF a crash happens again here (it won't, the state government will immediately step in to maintain house prices) it wont be the same as 08, as we didnt have a third of the bay area crawling up our asses with remote work options.

not to mention a loving ton of cash rich investor businesses will immediately hoover up the now highly cheap properties

fellow millenials and those younger do not trust to hope. we have been absolutely ratfucked and the best you can get is a barely affordable shithole in a place no one wants to live OR learn to code

Ammanas has issued a correction as of 03:47 on Jun 6, 2022

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

The thing I'm noticing is a huge uptick in listings, not necessarily rock bottom prices or anything. That could take awhile.

theres bound to be a micro cycle involved where prices drop a little to meet the upper echelon of the desperate or economically secure.....until people start losing their jobs and/or private equity loses a fuckton of their money printer funds

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

projecthalaxy posted:

I dont have any money

What are points

you buy a lower interest rate from the mortgage company for a lot of loving money now so you pay less over time. pretty critical with how nuts interest rates are now

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Cabbages and Kings posted:

A friend sent this

https://cdn.nar.realtor/sites/defau...-05-12-2022.pdf

I thought it was pretty interesting. Institutional buyers made up 13% of sales last year which is less than I would have expected. Also, my local state of Vermont has that number at a whopping 0%, meaning the people yelling about institutional buyers on local reddit are wrong and really the pincers loving us locally are bad supply combined with an influx of affluent individuals from CT/NYC/etc who can just come make cash offers at 150% market on whatever they want to buy as a COVID-escape-zone.

Granted, there's still not much here to feel good about except "things aren't that bad, yet". Tell that to unhomed people.

13% is a significant number and isnt that basically doubled from say 5 years ago? the trend lines are there

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

housing is listed at constant or less than it was, but rates are so much higher that’s it’s basically just as expensive if not more so

in my area of northern california its merely price stabilization and slightly longer list times. they're still selling and for asking but its not an 3 day turnover anymore.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Angrymantium posted:

Right now, settling for a condo is a good move. Condo inventories aren't as stressed as detached units and most sellers have to drop their price a few times before they get a bite.

just remember the hoa is non-equity money you're paying forever and will probably increase

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

could mean the only ones selling are higher end properties for $250k+ household incomes, while 'normal homes' are sitting unsold due to evaporated demand from sub-six figure households.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Fozzy The Bear posted:

See you when you're back at $10,000 :lol:

a lot can change in 23 years such as lining the kitchen cabinents with 400k of gold bars

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

last summer we replaced the a/c unit and all the ductwork, which was crappy out of date stuff and according to the guy in charge filled with decades of old people skin (house is from '75). he seemed legit disgusted by the idea of living with old ducts

you got took dude

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

actionjackson posted:

*moves to portugal*

*country hits 117 degrees, is on fire, no A/C*

for the past month youtube has been shoving videos of europeans/british people moving to rural central Portugal to establish homesteads in my recs

kinda curious to see how theyre doing in those tents and campers rn

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

All of this is astroturfing just like the media blitz here last year of people moving to Texas from California to avoid "covid lockdowns", which were definitely real stories about real people and not advertising paid by Texas.

nah its a real thing tied to, in no specific order:

overpaid computer touchers making so much money they can retire at 42 and live out their farming fantasies
oafish millenials living off parents money
housing being nonexistent/unaffordable in real places where people actually live
burnout/alienation from the grotesqueries of modern life/capitalism and desperately seeking an escape
neo-hippies fleeing the coming fascist takeover and basically opting out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Neo-hippies are fleeing fascism to... Texas?

im talking about homesteaders in europe.

homesteaders in america are generally christian fundamentalists fleeing non-whites/'government' although some of the above applies as well