Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Khanstant posted:

I mean, this NO SOUL they have on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGjsGTvwL78
is only like, 60% feeling like I mixed bad drugs by accident at a party with music playing by a dj equally cross-faded. Really this is kind of a bold sample set to go with. I would assume vocals gonna still be a non-starter for ai gen music, so distracting to randomly chop up or muddle into nearly-coherent, like, kind of annoying/uncomfortable being so close to something you should understand.

But i was thinkin this sort of thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbuZfY2S2UQ
I assume from the way I loosely know these things to work by being fed or trained on datasets isn't the way to achieve what I'm proposing, but, from having heard a brajillion of playlists like the one i linked, without having heard this one specifically before, it's more of a perfunctory music in a way i feel like a program could achieve more realistically. I'm never getting an earworm I want to seek out to itch, probably couldn't identify when one song or artists begins or ends. simple beat loop + some chill tempo thing over it + maybe gentle white noise + piano or chill guitar or instrument do something over it.

haha nvm someone already started it
https://ai.plainenglish.io/building-a-lo-fi-hip-hop-generator-e24a005d0144

I think you could slip this into the "study music" playlist I linked and nobody would notice anything awry
https://soundcloud.com/user-515519669/ai-generated-lofi-hip-hop-track

Yeah, if it utilizes MIDI like this guy did it's easier to get something that's kind of passable but still sounds like it's skipping a record every so often. I thought music would be simpler than interpreting visual things like DALL-E does, due to the pseudo-algorithmic nature of music, so I reached out to my BFF who did his masters in computer music, who said that most of the attempts had gone nowhere because:

quote:

Music requires a lot of temporal context because it happens over time, traditionally things trying to make or analyze music have a really hard time with it as a result.

Open.ai had some success using a sample by sample based approach which was pretty novel, but the human ear is really impressive when trained.
We can pick out a single instrument, but getting a computer to do that by just looking at the spectrum is... much more challenging that detecting an object in space.

If you were analyzing midi it'd be easier, there you'd need two systems: one that understands music in a midi/graphical sense
and another that can convert each track into realistic sounding instruments and mix them together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Rime posted:

The implications for, at the very least, the concept art industry are staggering.

Well holy hell am I glad I abandoned that path very early on. I feel terrible for everyone in concept art who can't figure out a way into one of the few "Tell Computer What Do" positions..

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
There will always be a need for programmers, but they won’t be writing code, they’ll be shaving off the rough corners of code produced by other software, and then implementing the last mile portions. I suspect the same will be true for other disciplines that are affected by advancements in machine learning.

So jobs won’t disappear immediately, it will be a slow burn as fewer people are needed to produce more of that thing.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Technology couldn't even automate supermarket checkouts out of existence. The reality of the physical world is so complex and overwhelming that even throwing billions of dollars and decades of research at self-driving cars by multiple companies with serious commercial incentives to succeed couldn't make them reliable or mainstream. There are more electric vehicles on the road right now than cars driving themselves. Anyone who thinks it's going to render artists or writers or programmers or whatever extinct is letting their imagination run so far away with them they might as well be on a different planet. Don't get me wrong, it's a remarkable leap forward in machine learning. It will be used to make those jobs faster and easier for the humans who do them, if it's used for anything at all. But anyone firing all their staff to replace them with AI is in for a rude awakening.

This is an interesting example because humans are weird and have irrational opinions, like wanting to talk to a person when calling customer service, even if an automated solution could solve the issue. I wonder how many of these hang ups simply go away as new generations grow up with these technologies.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

OpenAI Jukebox makes some fantastic music if that is your thing. It's like from another universe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5CBRAjkNwI
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7055075010901445935
I desperately want to play with Dall-E-2 but the waitlist is a billion people long.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

this channel is cool, their punk album is pretty good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzv9s2kmBrs

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

Nuts and Gum posted:

This is an interesting example because humans are weird and have irrational opinions, like wanting to talk to a person when calling customer service, even if an automated solution could solve the issue.

Are you talking about phone trees? Like the ones that tells people what words and numbers to say or buttons to press in order to navigate some hellish labyrinth of menus?

Your call is very important to us.

If you're calling about card limits, say limits.

LIMITS.

I'm sorry I didn't understand what you said. If you're calling about card limits, say limits.

Please speak your account number. Say each digit clearly and with pauses in between. When done, say DONE.

Is 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-9-1-2-3 your account number? Please say YES if it is, and NO if it isn't.

YES.

Please speak your account number. Say each digit clearly and with pauses in between. When done, say DONE.

etc etc

loving hell yes I always want to speak to a person if given the choice. Even one for whom English is their second language.

My blood pressure always goes up and my fists are clenching when I'm forced to deal with robotic "customer service".

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

hi there

i have dall-e 2 access

i'll be around for a couple hours if anyone has some prompts they want generated

keep it within the content policy, they seem to be very aggressive with that poo poo https://labs.openai.com/policies/content-policy

here's a very comforting image that was generated for the prompt "Skynet is here"

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

frumpykvetchbot posted:

Are you talking about phone trees? Like the ones that tells people what words and numbers to say or buttons to press in order to navigate some hellish labyrinth of menus?

Your call is very important to us.

If you're calling about card limits, say limits.

LIMITS.

I'm sorry I didn't understand what you said. If you're calling about card limits, say limits.

Is 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-9-1-2-3 your account number? Please say YES if it is, and NO if it isn't.

YES.

etc etc

loving hell yes I always want to speak to a person if given the choice. Even one for whom English is their second language.

My blood pressure always goes up and my fists are clenching when I'm forced to deal with robotic "customer service".

I was more thinking about using a computer or app to do something, but when you’re upset or feel wronged you want to be validated. And if you’re a boomer you want to yell a cs agent.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

“Humanity destroying dall-e”
“Dall-e destroying humanity”

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Nuts and Gum posted:

There will always be a need for programmers, but they won’t be writing code, they’ll be shaving off the rough corners of code produced by other software, and then implementing the last mile portions. I suspect the same will be true for other disciplines that are affected by advancements in machine learning.

I've always been more skeptical of this than the other stuff tbh. Like we can forgive a lot of the rough edges for the images we're seeing itt, but I don't think we'll be as ready to forgive the edges in a computer program. I have this feeling that if you asked an ai to make a computer program for you to do a task, you'll just incur a lot of "technical debt" and not really get out ahead in the end.

There's that and I just don't trust programs written by humans to begin with, but I feel like we'll just get even more black boxy if we ask an ai to program poo poo for us. There are a lot of domains where it must be verifiable and audited. Like maybe you could have it build a website for you but idk if you can ask it to write most of excel 2.0. People make real-life decisions with software, but they don't do that with illustrations.

Nuts and Gum posted:

This is an interesting example because humans are weird and have irrational opinions, like wanting to talk to a person when calling customer service, even if an automated solution could solve the issue. I wonder how many of these hang ups simply go away as new generations grow up with these technologies.

My guess would be that yes, younger generations will be quicker to do that kind of stuff. Like my wife's nephew was very excited to go to one of those Amazon grocery stores. But I refuse to enter an Amazon grocery store. Well that's mostly because I think Amazon is a lovely company we'd be better without, but the creepy panopticon aspect of Amazon doesn't really help. But if you're just used to Amazon listening and recording every waking minute of your life then well why not go there?

Dr. Zoggle
Aug 12, 2006
Go Blue!

pancake rabbit posted:

hi there

i have dall-e 2 access

i'll be around for a couple hours if anyone has some prompts they want generated

keep it within the content policy, they seem to be very aggressive with that poo poo https://labs.openai.com/policies/content-policy

here's a very comforting image that was generated for the prompt "Skynet is here"

how about "400 pickles fighting a war against 400 radishes in anime style"

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

i am harry posted:

“Humanity destroying dall-e”

i am harry posted:

“Dall-e destroying humanity”

haimaly

Dr. Zoggle posted:

how about "400 pickles fighting a war against 400 radishes in anime style"

told you they were aggressive

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

pancake rabbit posted:

hi there

i have dall-e 2 access

prompt:

A green tractor towing a gnarly battle wagon across a misty field full of craters.

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

frumpykvetchbot posted:

prompt:

A green tractor towing a gnarly battle wagon across a misty field full of craters.

uma
Jun 27, 2005

and this, this is my book collection...

Rime posted:

Last week in another thread goons were talking about the theory that the human brain acts as a transducer for consciousness rather than its source, that it filters lived reality to an otherwhere and makes physical reality intelligible to whatever hardware conciousness actually runs on.

Do you happen to have a link to this thread? This rules.

Dr. Zoggle
Aug 12, 2006
Go Blue!

pancake rabbit posted:

haimaly

told you they were aggressive

wow that is strict
how about "beautiful radish people dancing in a disco"

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

pancake rabbit posted:

hi there

i have dall-e 2 access

How about "Candy Land board game by HR Giger".

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

pancake rabbit posted:

hi there

i have dall-e 2 access

3 lobsters playing poker in a dimly lit bar

A clay man looking up at the aurora in a river valley

A child getting a stuffed animal out of a well

TeenageArchipelago fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Apr 23, 2022

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

uma posted:

Do you happen to have a link to this thread? This rules.

Click the gangtag, we get up to all kinds of fun poo poo when the bird news is quiet. :getin:

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

fantastic. THANKS!

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Nuts and Gum posted:

i know you're bullshitting because in order to train a learning algorithm to produce good code, you would first have to identify a large training set of good code, which does not and will likely never exist

surc
Aug 17, 2004

pancake rabbit posted:

hi there

i have dall-e 2 access

"Neo-Andean twin peaks red room" if you wouldn't mind

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

pancake rabbit posted:

hi there

i have dall-e 2 access

Make it do "Randy Savage stole all the beans"

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

pancake rabbit posted:

hi there

i have dall-e 2 access

two children in a trench coat buying a used car

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

Dr. Zoggle posted:

wow that is strict
how about "beautiful radish people dancing in a disco"

TIP posted:

How about "Candy Land board game by HR Giger".

TeenageArchipelago posted:

3 lobsters playing poker in a dimly lit bar

A clay man looking up at the aurora in a river valley

A child getting a stuffed animal out of a well

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

"Hulk Hogan meat shoes with meat warming drawer in the bottom of the shoe, photorealistic"

uma
Jun 27, 2005

and this, this is my book collection...

Rime posted:

Click the gangtag, we get up to all kinds of fun poo poo when the bird news is quiet. :getin:

Hell yea, thanks man!

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

these take like a minute each to generate + download + upload to imgur, bear with me

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

that is really amazing

thanks!

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

pancake rabbit posted:

hi there

i have dall-e 2 access

"Apocalyptic mountain landscape, in the style of Monet".

"A photo of an alpine meadow filled with various flowers, good lighting, realistic".

Thanks, Pancake. :)

Rime fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Apr 23, 2022

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

yeah this stuff is rapidly approaching futuretech levels, very cool

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I generated with the same phrase last year:

certainly more coherent and realistic now

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
A medieval map of modern New York City

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Giant frog loves the Seattle Mariners

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

I can only guess that the content policy bans 'anime' wholesale, which, imo, is fair.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

pancake rabbit posted:

hi there

i have dall-e 2 access

An old man sitting in a comfortable chair in front of the fireplace holding a cat and telling a story to his grandchildren

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Giant frog loves the Seattle Mariners

A frog pitching for the Seattle Mariners

TeenageArchipelago fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Apr 23, 2022

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

Mola Yam posted:

A medieval map of modern New York City

Rime posted:

"Apocalyptic mountain landscape, in the style of Monet".

Rime posted:

"A photo of an alpine meadow filled with various flowers, good lighting, realistic".

two children in a trench coat buying a used car

ok the ai is a smartass i guess

Linux Pirate posted:

Make it do "Randy Savage stole all the beans"

content policy violation lol wtf

TIP posted:

"Hulk Hogan meat shoes with meat warming drawer in the bottom of the shoe, photorealistic"

surc posted:

"Neo-Andean twin peaks red room" if you wouldn't mind

Randabis
Apr 2, 2005

"God creates a rock he cannot lift."

"Slenderman visits the white house" (not sure if these will get past the filters)

"Randabis turns on his monitor"

"A working nuclear fusion reactor"

"A Siamese cat opens a pizza parlour"

This tech is amazing.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
prompt:

A capybara riding a giant hex nut made of pine wood, on a fine plaid carpet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surc
Aug 17, 2004

hell yeah thanks, its crazy to see such a wide breadth of stuff come back from the requests