Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Yeah but can it wobble a hat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
There will always be a need for programmers, but they won’t be writing code, they’ll be shaving off the rough corners of code produced by other software, and then implementing the last mile portions. I suspect the same will be true for other disciplines that are affected by advancements in machine learning.

So jobs won’t disappear immediately, it will be a slow burn as fewer people are needed to produce more of that thing.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Technology couldn't even automate supermarket checkouts out of existence. The reality of the physical world is so complex and overwhelming that even throwing billions of dollars and decades of research at self-driving cars by multiple companies with serious commercial incentives to succeed couldn't make them reliable or mainstream. There are more electric vehicles on the road right now than cars driving themselves. Anyone who thinks it's going to render artists or writers or programmers or whatever extinct is letting their imagination run so far away with them they might as well be on a different planet. Don't get me wrong, it's a remarkable leap forward in machine learning. It will be used to make those jobs faster and easier for the humans who do them, if it's used for anything at all. But anyone firing all their staff to replace them with AI is in for a rude awakening.

This is an interesting example because humans are weird and have irrational opinions, like wanting to talk to a person when calling customer service, even if an automated solution could solve the issue. I wonder how many of these hang ups simply go away as new generations grow up with these technologies.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

frumpykvetchbot posted:

Are you talking about phone trees? Like the ones that tells people what words and numbers to say or buttons to press in order to navigate some hellish labyrinth of menus?

Your call is very important to us.

If you're calling about card limits, say limits.

LIMITS.

I'm sorry I didn't understand what you said. If you're calling about card limits, say limits.

Please speak your account number. Say each digit clearly and with pauses in between. When done, say DONE.

Is 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-9-1-2-3 your account number? Please say YES if it is, and NO if it isn't.

YES.

Please speak your account number. Say each digit clearly and with pauses in between. When done, say DONE.

etc etc

loving hell yes I always want to speak to a person if given the choice. Even one for whom English is their second language.

My blood pressure always goes up and my fists are clenching when I'm forced to deal with robotic "customer service".

I was more thinking about using a computer or app to do something, but when you’re upset or feel wronged you want to be validated. And if you’re a boomer you want to yell a cs agent.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Eeyo posted:

I've always been more skeptical of this than the other stuff tbh. Like we can forgive a lot of the rough edges for the images we're seeing itt, but I don't think we'll be as ready to forgive the edges in a computer program. I have this feeling that if you asked an ai to make a computer program for you to do a task, you'll just incur a lot of "technical debt" and not really get out ahead in the end.

There's that and I just don't trust programs written by humans to begin with, but I feel like we'll just get even more black boxy if we ask an ai to program poo poo for us. There are a lot of domains where it must be verifiable and audited. Like maybe you could have it build a website for you but idk if you can ask it to write most of excel 2.0. People make real-life decisions with software, but they don't do that with illustrations.

My guess would be that yes, younger generations will be quicker to do that kind of stuff. Like my wife's nephew was very excited to go to one of those Amazon grocery stores. But I refuse to enter an Amazon grocery store. Well that's mostly because I think Amazon is a lovely company we'd be better without, but the creepy panopticon aspect of Amazon doesn't really help. But if you're just used to Amazon listening and recording every waking minute of your life then well why not go there?

Thats a good point, not all software is built for the same tolerances. Automating website creation or database admin stuff is a lil different than a self driving car. But I'd argue the automation of the former affects way more jobs than the latter, as cutting edge stuff is generally niche with extremely hard to find talent.

There is also the arms race of capitalism that seems to guarantee the second something is mass-producible a better version of it is immediately expected, which can never be fully-automated. I suppose the question is how many non-automatable jobs will remain in that pipeline?

I'm also sort of assuming an exponential leap in ML or quantum tech will inevitably happen as long as we don't destroy ourselves first.

Bad Purchase posted:

i know you're bullshitting because in order to train a learning algorithm to produce good code, you would first have to identify a large training set of good code, which does not and will likely never exist

Clearly someone never used a Zune :rolleyes:

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Shrek with DD’s plz

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Whoa Jessica rabbit shrek :captainpop:

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Gaystation 69 reporting for booty :clint:

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

:monocle: That first pic is onto something, but then it forgot what the query was

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
CyberJunk in the trunk :magemage:

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Someone please do the pic with Jesus hijacking the tough dudes heroin with the gun and skull on the counter tia

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

:discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Giant enemy crab wins Ridge Racer