Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
Really makes me happy to see these AI models progress so rapidly, it feels like its only been a couple of years since we had been looking at those hallucinogenic generated images with dogs on every surface.
Cant wait for this tech to become publicly available and produce amazing art and maybe even go into animation, as others here noted.
Giving every person with an internet connection the means to realize their imagination (yeah, even the weird ones) far outweighs the luddite scaremongering some go on about.

also, heres a mildly informative video about Dall-E 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1cF9QCu1rQ

Monglo fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Apr 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015

Linux Pirate posted:

Part of the pleasure and satisfaction of making something, is well, actually making it. Instant gratification sounds good on paper, but having you vision realized instantly is going to feel hollow.

Yeah, totally, man. Same with buying groceries at the store - it just cant compare with the spiritual satisfaction of year-round back-breaking work in a field :allears:

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015

Linux Pirate posted:

Yeah because a hum drum activity is exactly like a skill set someone is passionate about and has dedicated their life to. gently caress off.

Very immature of you to describe the thousands years of ingenuity and hard work people have been putting into developing the art of providing food for their families as "hum drum" and not a skill one can be passionate and dedicated to.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
First it was art, now AI is going to rob us of the fulfilling spiritual act of wiping a spilled drink with a sponge! drat corporatists...

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
Weird how nobody is arguing that you should have commissioned a real human artist to do these pieces instead of resorting to AI.
Aren't we taking jobs from artists right now in this thread? lol

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
lol what a nerd

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
Weird that theres not a single white hand among them.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
For every AI generated image an artist's soul is devoured.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
Im curious to see if AI generated content is going to be accepted as "real" art alongside manmade pieces and not just a tech curiosity at some point. Personally, Ive enjoyed some of the things DALL-E 2 and the like produce more than the average art Ive encountered on the internet.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
Pay me for reading my post. Its art.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
No, you haven't been thinking.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
Congratulation on being asian!

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
It was always a bad idea to get into art lol

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
AI Seinfeld went transphobic, got banned by Twitch :(

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
This must be how the Butlerian Jihad started.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
I don't have acces, bit apparently Bing has an option to set how "creative" it's with the answer. Maybe yours set to giving only high confidence/not creative output?

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
Hey, is anyone following any of the legal stuff concerning AI and image generating? I remember there was some buzz with multiple people planning to go to court. Has there been any news on that front? You guys seem to be following these things very closely and maybe could point me to something that a google search wouldn't.
Im honestly pretty anxious about a negative (IMO) precedent being set and only Disney being able to use AI or something nuts like that.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015

Glad you crammed in a "think of the children" argument.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
Feels like AI is going to be blamed for everything in the coming years.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
Looks much more impressive than that Will Smith eating pasta thing.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015

Nyan Bread posted:

Creative Commons in short saying that training AI models/Loras on someone else's works/style is fair use, and the owner of those paintings/photos can't enforce copyright to remove the download links to the derivative .safetensors models under the DMCA. The AI art produced using those models however, can be taken down by the original artist if it's seen being too similar to the originals, so it needs as Commons puts it "enough degree of human creative input to justify protection". Who knows how much creativity is empirically required to have a piece of AI art fall under the derivative works category, but it's probably somewhere between adding a sepia filter and photoshopping 90% of the image.

To me, a total layman, this seems similar to how I imagine copyright worked for all art. With all these court cases coming to conclusion, whats the biggest difference between AI-generated and trad art in terms of copyright, in your opinion? Are you satisfied with these outcomes? So far these results seem pretty reasonable to me.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015

LifeSunDeath posted:

no company is going to abide by copyrights on art anymore, it's just not going to happen. esp after they start winning court cases. people just need to move on from making commercial art.

Lets hope you're wrong, all the court cases so far have reached reasonable conclusions, as per NyanBread's example.

And then I persoanlly disagree that people should forget about making money with their art, traditional or AI-assisted.
I believe in the idea that broad access to these tools will help artists get out of their corporate Disney/Ghibli/(lets be honest all of them) slave art dungeons and will be able to make stuff on their own that they couldnt do before - like how often do you get a one man-made movies? Maybe soon anyone will be able to try their hand at making art that only big studios could attempt. Id like to live in that world.
I know access to chatgpt has allowed me to try to create things I could only dream about before. And Im not even going to address the "world will be oversaturated by poo poo, soulless art" argument, which falls apart as soon as you think more than a couple of seconds about it.

Monglo fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Nov 10, 2023

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
Awesome stuff!

I'm also diving into a little project of my own and I'm looking into using AI tools to help out. I've seen some cool videos where the AI can draw over your sketches to make them better.

Does anyone know any tools like that or something in a similar vein?

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
What's the latest consensus on Dalle Vs Midjourney?
I only generate images in chatgpt, but do find them often looking not as varied as the ones posted here. Not sure if I'm just bad at prompting, or it is the model difference.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
Thank you for the detailed answer, KakerMix! Going to put some effort into figuring out SD, the toolset is clearly the best for actually working with images.
Cant wait for more user-friendly interfaces though.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015

Earwicker posted:

to be honest i think your own initial images look good and im not really sure whats so much better about the ai enhanced ones? they mainly just look like the guys have darker, shinier hair.

Yeah, feedmyleg, you loving idiot, forget about your personal preferences and just listen to Earwicker - he will tell you what you should enjoy better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015

Earwicker posted:

good grief i was trying to compliment their initial drawings not telling them what to enjoy wtf. like they were doubting their abilities but i don't see how what the ai is doing is an ability issue so much as just darkening the image somewhat

Yes, Im sorry, English is not my first language. They are clearly wrong about which art of theirs they think they prefer. Its good that you are here to set them straight.