Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

erosion posted:

(*) mouse acceleration. keeps turning itself back on

(*) smooth scrolling. keeps turning itself back on

(*) disable file extensions. keeps turning itself back on

assuming you’re on windows did you check the box that makes file extensions disappear everywhere or did you only change it for a single directory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Progressive JPEG posted:

why use a regular email address when you can tie this login to a facebook/google/apple account???

i don’t mind the latter so much especially with apples email obfuscation. never used fb or google to do it tho.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Wild EEPROM posted:

touchscreens on desktop and laptop computers

i generally agree

however i have an og chromebook pixel and using maps with pinch to zoom on the screen is universally better than other modes

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

oh man both good criticisms, they're awful features

in terms of effectiveness, i also hate carousels (as in webpage displays)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

qirex posted:

the carousel pattern is an imperfect solution to an impossible request, namely "these 5 things are all #1 priority!"

imo good decision making would eliminate 95% of carousels

it's worse than imperfect, though, it's downright terrible. like a lot of these things it adds bloat and complexity for something that users literally never use or care about

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

oh relatedly to those, webpages that use the scroll action to do lovely animations instead of scrolling the page

apple has been bad about this in the past iirc

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Progressive JPEG posted:

webpages that immediately revert to their useless "mobile" layout the moment the browser window is less than 1000 px wide

whats 1920/2 precious?

or flatout refuse to let you use any kind of "desktop" view on mobile devices

sometimes the ipad gets sent there and it's infuriating

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

InternetOfTwinks posted:

Dialogs that load after the initial page load that move links right as you are about to click on them. Looking at you, every time I've tried to click the second result on a Google search.

relatedly: apples insistence on waiting to change frequently used icons until after you load the menu or dock or whatever, so they always loving change a split second before i tap them