Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

gnome tracker seems to have a new way to get it completely disabled on every lts release or something.

I keep having to look up poo poo on what dconf or systemd thing to execute because I swear the mechanism always changes and sometimes it doesn't even stick.

I ended up making the cache directories a symlink to /dev/null and maybe symlinking other tracker config files to /dev/null and it probably segfaults now but at least it doesn't consume 100% of my disk i/o at random times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

notifications and dialog boxes that replaced "no" with "maybe later" or "not now" or some poo poo that gives them the excuse to try pushing their poo poo on you again

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Like, why does dumbass google sms messages need to ask for a review? It's the SMS app!

And the worst.... absolute worst... time for any app to ask for a review is when I'm opening the app itself. I opened the app because I want to get poo poo done. I didn't expect to have to solve some stupid puzzle or riddle to figure out how to close some stupid modal window so that I can do what I need to do.

Don't get me started on apps that use their own payment wallets like Starbucks. The cashier is waiting for me to pay for my order. I don't have time to rate the stupid app.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

qirex posted:

whoever replaced “don’t show this” with “see less often” at twitter has a special room waiting in the bad place when they die

twitter is some real dumb poo poo. No one is going to be surprised when their "topics" feature, intended to increase engagement for users and exposure for smaller influencers, ends up maximalizing fascism. Somehow.

Toxic twitter is best avoided by (1) not tweeting and (2) following only a closely curated set of smart people worth listening to.

And it's absolutely hilarious when the android client asks if a post referencing goatse is about anatomy. I mean... yeah! But do you really want it to show up in people's feeds regarding anatomy topics?

Goes to show that the engineers and product managers at twitter are either spineless or completely clueless.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Plorkyeran posted:

because that's required for the perf reviews of the team working on it.

often the things where the product is actively made worse so that they have a number to evaluate the quality of the product on aren't even motivated by "number must go up"; they're instead the simpler "we must have a number". you have the whole concept of "you can't manage what you can't measure" that inevitably results from the idea that managers don't need any domain knowledge about the thing they're managing and instead just need to have generic business management knowledge.

if that's true then that's dumb

I'm happy that hangouts doesn't have that poo poo because they never bothered to update it

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

cowboy beepboop posted:

we have https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/rfc8805/ now but lol

RIRs should have done a similar thing to rpki imo

I was going to mention that there's a new signed bgp thing being proposed but it's rpki which you just mentioned

https://blog.cloudflare.com/rpki/

The problem with self published stuff is that if you lie on it, you may not serve any repercussions. Whereas if you lie to a dns allocation agency, you could (in theory) lose your allocation if you make them mad enough.

I guess this format would be more widely used in larger organizations that need to provide more specific context for specific subnets than you would normally get from a whois request. Like if an ISP needs to split an IP block among different states or a cloud service provider has an ipv6 chunk that is constantly changing availability zones. If you had to contact IANA to get this feed, then IANA would already be telling you which allocations would belong to this organization, and I guess you could just ignore anything that falls outside of that.

So, beyond giving incorrect geolocation data for blocks that you own, the risk of mischief would probably be quite low.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

What is it with brick-and-mortar retailers having absolutely broken search bars on mobile?

I'm talking about Barnes and Noble, Macy's, Bed Bath Beyond, and etc

Attempting to write stuff into the search bar is an exercise in frustration because not all the keystrokes register. It's as if they're trapping the keystroke before putting it the search field because they want to power the stupid search predictor. Why not just eat my entire rear end? Turn off that poo poo so that I can type what I want to search for, instead of making me copy and paste that poo poo, or spend a half minute trying to type a six letter word. And don't get me started on sites that don't have a search results page, but insist on putting it below the search bar.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

When it's easier to use google to search your website than to use your own website's tools, then maybe you should just let google power the search results. Just forward the query to google. There's no shame in it.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

My chromebook now has grammar check, which is nice for people that need it. But I despise grammar check because it's never pointed out anything useful, and instead annoys me with the dumb squiggly blue line.

The dumb thing is that you can't just turn off grammar check. Instead, it's a big switch that turns off both grammar and spell checking.

On a related note, Google has "enhanced spell checking" that requires you to send all your typed text to Google. This seems like a security nightmare.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

at least this will finally get me to remember that there's only one c in recommend and two cs in succor

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

infernal machines posted:

how many times a day are you writing succour?

not as much as I recommend you succor deez nuts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

sorry, I couldn't help it