Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

erosion posted:

(*) my monitor. keeps turning itself off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

echinopsis posted:

*renames “taxes” to “taxes.csv” to get it send it to someone*

*has no idea it’s gone from “taxes.xls” to “taxes.csv.xls”*

oh my god it makes perfect sense for them to hide it now

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

qirex posted:

the base issue is whoever’s doing the ux can be overruled by anyone in marketing or product if making number go up is at stake

every annoying nag feature has like two dozen people inside the company who tried to stop it from happening but failed because they don’t have a mba and therefore aren’t worth the real decision makers’ time to listen to

The real problem here is that strictly speaking under capitalism that number is literally all that matters. Companies exist to make money -- anything that doesn't make money number go up gets loving trashed and rightfully so.

This is probably overwhelmingly responsible for pretty much every single programming shittiness that we have ever had to touch.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Progressive JPEG posted:

webpages that immediately revert to their useless "mobile" layout the moment the browser window is less than 1000 px wide

whats 1920/2 precious?

To be fair there aren't many tools in webdev to know what is a mobile browser and what isn't, and generally speaking pixel sizing on phones has got dense enough that it's becoming difficult. Like my current phone is 1440 pixels width, which is way more than the laptop I was using up until October 2021

But having something like a flag which is sent from the browser to the site requires everyone to agree, which, lmao

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

wait this is yospos, u already know this :negative: