Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
D&D ostensibly has mods other than Koos but none of them felt like they were allowed to do anything about rampant transphobia that he ignored for days. Maybe Koos should just be a normal mod and not "head mod"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Who What Now posted:

D&D ostensibly has mods other than Koos but none of them felt like they were allowed to do anything about rampant transphobia that he ignored for days. Maybe Koos should just be a normal mod and not "head mod"?

The other mods removed Sharkie's "eat poo poo" thread so quick that Koos claims to not even have realized it existed.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jaxyon posted:

This isn't a safe space for trans posters. There are shitposting facebook groups that give less slack to transphobic bigots. They respond to transphobes like you and your team responds to posts critical of yourselves. I like their priorities better.

Look honestly you're getting a bit ridiculous here. Dial it back a bit

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Jaxyon posted:

The other mods removed Sharkie's "eat poo poo" thread so quick that Koos claims to not even have realized it existed.

Maybe we should axe all current mods and install good ones?

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

It is extremely weird that apparently the goal of this iteration of D&D in 2022 is to educate bigots, and therefore we must give bigots a space to peddle their ideas so they have the opportunity to be educated. I do appreciate Koos making this goal extremely clear, because it lets anyone not interested in engaging with people within that framework just not participate in the forum anymore. I guess my earlier suggestion that the mods make their vision for the forum clear isn't necessary, because it has been made very clear. It's just not something I'd ever want to be a part of, and I'm not sure who would.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Cicero posted:

It kind of seems like there maybe just needs to be another split, if posters fundamentally differ on what they want from a debate forum.

The problem there would be that you would get even more cross forum slapfights like what D&D and CSPAM currently have.

I'm a little bit curious to explore this concept, though I suspect most posters would find more cons than pros with it.

If cspam is d&d but for lower stakes poo poo posting, what would a new sub that's like d&d but with strict topic moderation look like? Is there anything to this idea or is it a joke?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

some plague rats posted:

Look honestly you're getting a bit ridiculous here. Dial it back a bit

How so?

Upgrade posted:

It is extremely weird that apparently the goal of this iteration of D&D in 2022 is to educate bigots, and therefore we must give bigots a space to peddle their ideas so they have the opportunity to be educated. I do appreciate Koos making this goal extremely clear, because it lets anyone not interested in engaging with people within that framework just not participate in the forum anymore. I guess my earlier suggestion that the mods make their vision for the forum clear isn't necessary, because it has been made very clear. It's just not something I'd ever want to be a part of, and I'm not sure who would.

I'm told the forum used to be very Libertarian, and now we have the glorious return to that: A bunch of bad faith sea-lioning where we discuss the lives of incredibly vulnerable minorities in a dispassionate philosophical setting and only get upset if the collegial tone is departed from.

Jaxyon fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Apr 24, 2022

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Who What Now posted:

I don't believe I ever told any of the other mods not to moderate that thread.

Jaxyon posted:

No, hate speech only is against the rules of the site and not even very strongly:

Aginor was banned under the harassment policy, not any sort of bigotry policy, because the site doesn't have one. The hate speech policy is only tonal and allows for subjective moderation.

All you have to do under the rules of the forum to be a successful bigot is not be open about it, not use slurs, and make a pretence of pretending to debate

Ah, I was under the impression Jeffrey had added more to the rules than that. Maybe he just said it in some QCS thread.

Upgrade posted:

The goal of current D&D is not to educate bigots, is to have good discussion. When I began modding I believed avoiding moderating positions was beneficial to that goal. I am currently reconsidering it based on feedback.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

No one is organizing harassment campaigns or doxxing or writing legislation or posting threats, there was one thread that was poorly moderated and got gassed. Declaring that makes this "not a safe space for trans people" quite frankly makes it sound like you think we're a bunch of little babies who need to be wrapped in cotton wool so the bad opinions can't hurt us, it's downright demeaning and it would be good if you could stop

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Who What Now posted:

I queued ban+30s for both Aginor and Trollologist the same day they came into the thread with their bullshit and was going to chain probe until admins got around to processing the queue. Fluffdaddy came in shortly after and perma'd them. I'd have queued permas if I knew that was an option, in the few months I've been on the mod team it usually takes quite a bit of discussion to decide on a perma.

edit: Aginor and Trollologist were also both harassing people via PMs.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Fritz the Horse posted:

I queued ban+30s for both Aginor and Trollologist the same day they came into the thread with their bullshit and was going to chain probe until admins got around to processing the queue. Fluffdaddy came in shortly after and perma'd them. I'd have queued permas if I knew that was an option, in the few months I've been on the mod team it usually takes quite a bit of discussion to decide on a perma.

Just so I'm clear, you agree that D&D is the place to discuss whether black people have a cranial capacity that makes them fit for slavery, right?

some plague rats posted:

No one is organizing harassment campaigns or doxxing or writing legislation or posting threats, there was one thread that was poorly moderated and got gassed. Declaring that makes this "not a safe space for trans people" quite frankly makes it sound like you think we're a bunch of little babies who need to be wrapped in cotton wool so the bad opinions can't hurt us, it's downright demeaning and it would be good if you could stop

Are you sure about all of that first part? And I'd disagree about calling bigotry and the "you're trans because you did sex crimes" dms just "bad opinions." It's been repeatedly shown that the person who sent those dms is welcome as long as they do the correct debate dance so yeah that does not sound like a welcoming place to me.

Sharkie fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Apr 24, 2022

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

some plague rats posted:

I do not remember this. Where did this happen?

It was one of the D&D feedback threads run by the admins, back when they were trying to get a sense for what the hell was going on in D&D. They're great reads, IMO, if only because it was really funny watching the admins be completely stunned and baffled at the poo poo that passes for normal posting here

Oakland Martini posted:

A couple of comments/reflections from an old-timer (I'm 37, been here since I was 16) who posts rarely but relies heavily on this forum for news:
  • I see lots of people complaining about Twitter dumps. Personally, I really appreciate people posting embeds as this is how I get a huge portion of my news. I don't have a Twitter account and wouldn't know what to do with it if I did, so I get a lot of benefit from more savvy people who curate their feeds and post stuff. I imagine there are a lot of lurkers like me who feel similarly. If you don't like embeds, scroll past them and/or put heavy embedders on ignore.
  • More generally, I get the sense that there is a large mass of people like me who've been around forever and still read D&D heavily but no longer post. Should you take their views into account in addition to the views of active posters when deciding the direction the forum should take? I'm not sure, but it's worth considering if they make a significant contribution to SA's ad revenue. Making changes that benefit a core group of active posters but alienate the potentially larger mass of lurkers could come at an economic cost.
  • One of the best things about D&D used to be the broad array of really knowledgeable people who made substantive contributions to discussions, and I think it's clear that these people have disengaged over time. I can only say for myself, but a lot of it has to do with active posters' hostility not just towards each other, but also towards groups of people out there in the real world. I'm a tenured economics professor at one of the best universities in North America and I feel like I probably have some good expertise to contribute, but lots of active posters make it clear that economists are trash and aren't wanted. Note that I'm not at all whining about opposition to my sociopolitical views (I'm a leftist who really wanted Sanders to win, strongly advocate UHC and GND, etc. so I feel quite welcome on this dimension), but rather about irrational animosity towards my profession in general. I imagine there are lurkers in the military, politics, law, and other areas that could provide interesting perspectives on lots of issues but don't for similar reasons.

uninterrupted posted:

I don’t think this can be laid at the feet of “bad posters” or whatever. Modern economics as taught at a academic level has been pretty thoroughly refuted in the last 30 year.

Like their points of view might be “interesting” but I don’t want threads filled with drone bombers/prosecutors/cops/campaign goons talking about how they dutifully subjugate the working class, and probes or bans for pointing out they subjugate the working class. But maybe I’m alone in this ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Athanatos posted:

What the gently caress? Way to immediately prove his point 6 minutes after he posted.

"This guy gave his opinion, better get my post ready to attack modern economics in this 'ask about D&D thread."

Am I reading this right?

Eminai posted:

Tying economists to cops is not the right track, IMO, but I don't think D&D would be particularly enriched by being more welcoming to economists posting their professional opinion, much like how The Goon Doctor wouldn't be enriched by being more welcome to homeopaths posting their professional opinion.

Athanatos posted:

D&D is for discussion of opinions?

This, again seems to be proving his point. People might want to come in and have a discussion but once they post immediately 2 people attack them, not for the post they made, but for some label. This time it's economists. Are all economists banned from discussions in D&D?

Am I completely reading this situation wrong? I'm over here trying to understand and hoping the 1st guy who did it comes back and explains. I feel like that deserves a week probation with the reason "Any time you think D&D has something wrong with it, click your rap sheet and read how you responded to someone just trying to give their opinion."

But I'm holding off because I'm so stunned

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Koos Group posted:

I don't believe I ever told any of the other mods not to moderate that thread.

So why didn't they?

speng31b
May 8, 2010

If a hypothetical new sub appeared that was just d&d with less tolerance for lovely topics that were bait for lovely viewpoints, would there be any value in the current d&d continuing to exist as a "free debate space" where no topic is off limits, or has the forums culture as a whole just moved on?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Main Paineframe posted:

It was one of the D&D feedback threads run by the admins, back when they were trying to get a sense for what the hell was going on in D&D. They're great reads, IMO, if only because it was really funny watching the admins be completely stunned and baffled at the poo poo that passes for normal posting here

drat thanks for the link, that's great. What an incredible response

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Sharkie posted:

Are you sure about all of that first part? And I'd disagree about calling bigotry and the "you're trans because you did sex crimes" dms just "bad opinions." It's been repeatedly shown that the person who sent those dms is welcome as long as they do the correct debate dance so yeah that does not sound like a welcoming place to me.

The person who did that was permabanned minutes afterward, then permabanned a second time after I noticed him, so no, I don't believe it's been shown that he's welcome here.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Koos Group posted:

Ah, I was under the impression Jeffrey had added more to the rules than that. Maybe he just said it in some QCS thread.

Don't you think that as a moderator who's quoting the rules, in a discussion about a very serious subject, you should at least know what the loving rules are? Your actions show what level of importance this is to you. And as far as I can see, it's not much.

quote:

The goal of current D&D is not to educate bigots, is to have good discussion. When I began modding I believed avoiding moderating positions was beneficial to that goal. I am currently reconsidering it based on feedback.

It doesn't as much matter what your goal or intent is, what matters is the results and the impact. The results and impact have been you laxly moderating bad faith bigots and strictly moderating their targets.

some plague rats posted:

A "safe space" means "a place or environment in which a person or category of people can feel confident that they will not be exposed to discrimination, criticism, harassment, or any other emotional or physical harm." That is not this forum. It feels like you've internalized the "hugbox" distortion of what a safe space is that bigots promote.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jaxyon posted:

A "safe space" means "a place or environment in which a person or category of people can feel confident that they will not be exposed to discrimination, criticism, harassment, or any other emotional or physical harm." That is not this forum. It feels like you've internalized the "hugbox" distortion of what a safe space is that bigots promote.

Right, because when members of the minority you're speaking for say "hey, can you please stop infantilizing me" the correct ally response is to pull out the loving dictionary and accuse them of doing a ben shapiro

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Main Paineframe posted:

Feels like the whole "teaching" aspect of that has been on the decline ever since the Trumpification, though; at some point it seems like we collectively decided that everyone has to already agree with us on these issues and that there's no longer any room to convert those who don't know. "Here's why you're wrong" has been replaced by "gently caress off transphobe" or "mooooooooooooolonge

In the general case, it is neither reasonable or viable to require a minority to continuously justify their existence or educate people unwilling to go learn why their bigotry is bigotry when told so.

Explaining has been replaced by "gently caress off" because there is only so long anyone can maintain decorum in the face of constant casual bigotry and bad faith questions.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

some plague rats posted:

Right, because when members of the minority you're speaking for say "hey, can you please stop infantilizing me" the correct ally response is to pull out the loving dictionary and accuse them of doing a ben shapiro

There's also people who are in that group saying "hey we don't want that poo poo here". Quite a few of them, in fact.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Koos Group posted:

The person who did that was permabanned minutes afterward, then permabanned a second time after I noticed him, so no, I don't believe it's been shown that he's welcome here.

The point people are making is that their intentions were obvious, they should have been booted from the thread earlier, and should have been punished before they reached the point of PMing users.

I understand your moderation goals, and being unbiased on positions, but it quickly leads to situations like this. The Overton window for the forums and the Overton window for the US do not need to overlap perfectly, because the Overton window for the US is loving abhorrent. Not every discussion needs to be tolerated.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Jaxyon posted:

Don't you think that as a moderator who's quoting the rules, in a discussion about a very serious subject, you should at least know what the loving rules are? Your actions show what level of importance this is to you. And as far as I can see, it's not much.

The fact that I was operating under the assumption that the rules against bigotry were more stringent is a point in my favor I'd say, but yes, I should have double checked the site rules before referencing them.

Jaxyon posted:

It doesn't as much matter what your goal or intent is, what matters is the resuslts and the impact. The results and impact have been you laxly moderating bad faith bigots and strictly moderating their targets.

The opposite is true. In the trans athlete thread I moderated people who were upset about transphobia and potential transphobia to a much more lenient degree than normal, because it is such a highly charged and personal topic that some slack could be given when getting heated about it.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Who What Now posted:

There's also people who are in that group saying "hey we don't want that poo poo here". Quite a few of them, in fact.

There's plenty of others trans posters here, of any of them come along and say "actually I want jaxyon to speak for us and I like how he's doing it" then sure I'll revise my objection

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

RealityWarCriminal posted:

The point people are making is that their intentions were obvious, they should have been booted from the thread earlier, and should have been punished before they reached the point of PMing users.

I understand your moderation goals, and being unbiased on positions, but it quickly leads to situations like this. The Overton window for the forums and the Overton window for the US do not need to overlap perfectly, because the Overton window for the US is loving abhorrent. Not every discussion needs to be tolerated.

They were punished before the point of PMing users. They didn't begin until they were no longer able to post. Regardless, your second paragraph is duly noted.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

some plague rats posted:

There's plenty of others trans posters here, of any of them come along and say "actually I want jaxyon to speak for us and I like how he's doing it" then sure I'll revise my objection

I'm a trans poster and I'm saying that.

E:

I don't want them speaking for us but I agree with what they're saying.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

some plague rats posted:

I try to err on the side of "is this a safe space" and if people are being exposed to calm-hitler and being harassed through DMs, I don't think it's a safe space.

That said, you're asking me to stop, so I will.

Koos Group posted:

The opposite is true. In the trans athlete thread I moderated people who were upset about transphobia and potential transphobia to a much more lenient degree than normal, because it is such a highly charged and personal topic that some slack could be given when getting heated about it.

Again, the result is still that you can get away with polite bigotry for far longer than most people have patience to deal with it.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Koos Group posted:

You gave people who called transphobes transphobes 12 hours or more because they didn't follow :decorum: and the transphobes they were calling out sixers.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Who What Now posted:

You gave people who called transphobes transphobes 12 hours or more because they didn't follow :decorum: and the transphobes they were calling out sixers.

The transphobes were permabanned and threadbanned with a longer probie than that, respectively.

Edit: Assuming we're talking about the same people.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Koos Group posted:

The transphobes were permabanned and threadbanned with a longer probie than that, respectively.

A transphobe at best. The other you defended across multiple threads and continue to defend.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jaxyon posted:

I try to err on the side of "is this a safe space" and if people are being exposed to calm-hitler and being harassed through DMs, I don't think it's a safe space.

That said, you're asking me to stop, so I will.

Thank you. Being "exposed to calm Hitler" (incredible phrase) is an unfortunate consequence of posting on a debate forum, anyone who doesn't want to encounter lovely debate tactics can post in every other thread on the forum. The two people sending PMs were immediately permabanned, so I'm not sure what else could be done there short of trying to moderate pre-crime? I don't think anything that happened has made this an "unsafe space" in any way, and I can't imagine what the moderation solution would be, having a big list of positions you're not allowed to take? then you're playing whack-a-mole as people try and bait each other into taking them. Banning people from "sealioning" and "calm hitlering"? What would that even look like?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Koos Group posted:

Edit: Assuming we're talking about the same people.

After people raised a stink and after people were harassed.

An admin had to loving step in

some plague rats posted:

Thank you. Being "exposed to calm Hitler" (incredible phrase) is an unfortunate consequence of posting on a debate forum, anyone who doesn't want to encounter lovely debate tactics can post in every other thread on the forum. The two people sending PMs were immediately permabanned, so I'm not sure what else could be done there short of trying to moderate pre-crime? I don't think anything that happened has made this an "unsafe space" in any way, and I can't imagine what the moderation solution would be, having a big list of positions you're not allowed to take? then you're playing whack-a-mole as people try and bait each other into taking them. Banning people from "sealioning" and "calm hitlering"? What would that even look like?

Ban transphobes. Plenty of other forums handle this fine without people having to explicitly say "I am a transphobe please ban me"

some plague rats posted:

Aginor and Trollologist were both ban+30d by a d&d mod and then permabanned?

Trollogist had a long history of transphobia until we pointed it out in that thread. They should have been permad well before that.

Jaxyon fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Apr 25, 2022

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Who What Now posted:

A transphobe at best. The other you defended across multiple threads and continue to defend.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
@cinci zoo sniper

Occasionally I see some posts in the Ukraine thread along the lines of "I hope Russian civilians suffer [violent fate]". Are these posts acceptable? They make me uncomfortable, and I would prefer if they weren't.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

some plague rats posted:

Was that D&D mod Koos?

E:

How many probes calling those two assholes came from Koos?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Arrhythmia posted:

@cinci zoo sniper

Occasionally I see some posts in the Ukraine thread along the lines of "I hope Russian civilians suffer [violent fate]". Are these posts acceptable? They make me uncomfortable, and I would prefer if they weren't.

Bloodthirsty posts have been probated and ridiculed the few times they have happened. Can you post an example of one that didn't get handled?

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Who What Now posted:

Was that D&D mod Koos?

I was involved in bringing Aginor to the admins' attention. I actually don't remember who Trollologist was. Maybe I'm mixing up them and Internaut!.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Who What Now posted:

Was that D&D mod Koos?

Does it matter as long as it got done? Moderation is a team effort, isn't it?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Koos Group posted:

I was involved in bringing Aginor to the admins' attention. I actually don't remember who Trollologist was. Maybe I'm mixing up them and Internaut!.

How many placeholders did you give him?

E:

some plague rats posted:

Does it matter as long as it got done? Moderation is a team effort, isn't it?

yes, actually, it does matter when the issue is one mod giving transphobes an infinite benefit of the doubt.

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Apr 25, 2022

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Who What Now posted:

How many placeholders did you give him?

Again, I don't remember, but it was at least long enough to keep him from posting until his perma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Arrhythmia posted:

@cinci zoo sniper

They're not, and have never been. You're welcome to quote any such posts I, son of a Russian mother, have somehow missed for a retroactive special.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Apr 25, 2022