Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
I am at a loss of how to fix this, but d&d has become an utterly terrible place to actually debate and discuss opposing positions. The Ukraine war thread is especially egregious, but this pattern extends far and wide. Unfortunately, you need to go to cspam to talk about opposing viewpoints, and sometimes I want a discussion that ain't shitposty.

The fact that moderation dragged their feet on making sure the orgs being donated to weren't supporting neonazis is inexcusable.

Goutpatrol is aggressively terrible in their moderation decisions, but the refusal to tolerate dissent seems to be a cultural problem at this point and I have no idea how this is solved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
The point of that post was not to start a dnd vs cspam thing, it was to draw attention to how dnd cannot tolerate opposing viewpoints in most of the threads.

And hell, I still have no idea how to fix it, it doesn't seem to be a problem with a tidy solution.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

We've done a quarantine tread before, and it didn't really solve any issues. I like seeing the viewpoints I don't agree with, but I don't appreciate the moralizing or judgments that often come with it. There's a certain threshold for being defensive, or snarky, and I know I am guilty of it.

Like I pointed out, cspam trends towards being extremely shitposty first and foremost, which means it doesn't always satisfy my desire for a srs back and forth

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Koos Group posted:

Lowering the threshold for bad faith is something I've thought about a lot, but it seems very difficult to do fairly because of how it involves intent and specific positions. I would welcome more discussion in this thread about this topic.

Koos, have you thought more about why people found extending good faith towards people advocating anti trans positions intolerable?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I think this is part if it. I am getting old :corsair: and I don't need to want to deal with the black-pilled irony poisoned shitposting that is cspam. having the viewpoints that culminate from that sort of mindset really just do not encourage a good discussion on anything.

I honestly think you would be pleasantly surprised by the eagerness of people in cspam to have a discussion, but you do absolutely need to learn to shrug off very acerbic attitudes to get to the point those discussions occur

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Koos Group posted:

It's saddening and also a bit confusing to hear this, as I've gotten a lot of praise for how cinci handles the thread. Could you point to specific instances where opposing viewpoints were squashed for being such?

I'm going to be honest, I bailed from that thread in the early days when my position of hoping that the outcome of the war minimized civilian casualties regardless of who "won" was absolutely castigated as yellow-bellied appeasement. It left an extremely sour taste in my mouth.