Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Very easy. Let’s say that the global conversation about trans athletes moves to some new accepted position. You take that, go find your posting enemy in an appropriate thread, and start some “what do you think about X” spiel. The objective here is to get them to cast doubt on this new position as a plausible premise, preferably disagree with it in stronger terms. Once that happens you just dump supporting material for it into the thread, declare them a transphobe, and chances are some bystander without the full context of your conversation will take the bait as well. At that point either your target concedes and has thus been mauled to your satisfaction, or they double down for posting culture reasons and you can murder by cop them.

can you point to an example of this happening in the past? because i genuinely do not understand what risk you are pointing to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

No, I don't have a good recollection of individual posts stretching years back, except for that guy who claimed to have stuffed drugs inside his dick before rollerblading.

I don't necessarily mean a quote, just an example of the phenomenon in practice. Even just a hypothetical one would work. I'm still unclear on the hazard you're trying to avoid.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

This is what I’m referring too specifically where someone dealing with trolls and being dismissed repeatedly gets a little snappy at a mod.

I can't help but recall that Average Bear (who's been banned for transphobic poo poo before) got a sixer for trolling the trans sports thread, the same amount of time as the person who pointed out his history of transphobia.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Honestly I feel like the chief failing was that mods didn't close that mess of a thread 20-some pages previous. All of the haggling over probations is talking about how to mitigate the core failure: no mod foresaw how a "Does [minority] deserve the right to [x]" thread was inevitably going to end poorly.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

speng31b posted:

There were only ever two ways that thread was going to play out: either a bunch of people just posting agreement with the OP until it falls away, or someone coming in with arguments that dehumanize people. There was literally no other outcome I can think of so I tend to agree that if there's any lesson to take away from it at all, it's that a policy that puts that kind of thread to a stop before it starts is worth trying out.

Yeah. I do think it was moderated poorly, and there are some out-and-proud transphobes who just walked off from that mess with a slap on the wrist or nothing, while the people who got mad at them faced worse punishment. That's a fuckup, too.

But ultimately, you have CommieGIR posting on the first page "Correct answer, thread complete." That should have been a red flag that it was a bad idea for a thread. Having to permaban the first person obviously using that thread as a fishing pond for trans posters to harass in PMs should also have been a red flag. How did it go on for another week after that?

edit:

Sharkie posted:

Just a reminder that D&D is not safe or welcoming for trans people.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

give me a loving break. probating that as "Telling people in the trans thread they aren't welcome" is some serious bad-faith bullshit. that is very obviously a descriptive, not a prescriptive statement.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Apr 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Koos Group posted:

Yes, you're right. It wouldn't be fair for that to be on his rap sheet. I'll have it changed.

It's something that would have been very clear from looking at her posting history in that thread. And I'm confident that you did not, because this was her previous post in the thread, earlier today.

Sharkie posted:

You're right. For the record I am a trans woman, and [etc.]

I appreciate you doing something to correct the probation, but this is really frustrating!

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Apr 25, 2022