Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cicero posted:

Related thought here: from the tech side, it seems like it might be useful for poster's rap sheets to include a stat of "median time between probes" that excludes time they've been on probation in the calculation.

Why exactly would this be useful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Koos Group posted:

That's because your post was reported, and the original wasn't. If it had been, I probably would have hit it.

Here's a suggestion: if you're going to probe someone for not meeting effort with effort or whatever maybe just read the post they were responding to before you do? I mean especially if they quoted it in the post you hit them for, it can't be that much more work

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cicero posted:

To help identify posters who consistently post like poo poo.

Sixers are fine in the average case where someone just needs to be told to knock it off and then they'll behave, but obviously that's not enough for some posters.

Right, but how is "time between probes" a useful metric for how good someone's posting is? You look at a rapsheet like mine, I've got a ton of probes, lot of sixers, and a bunch of them are jokes, or "time to change subject" and a bunch of them are from mods who've since been demodded and driven off the forums for being various flavours of absolute weirdo. That kind of "no context, only the numbers" robotic modding is what trashed D&D in the first place

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

fez_machine posted:

I'd say your cowardice in the face of criticism is not a modding decision.

Oh god can we not start doing awful internet tough guy Ukraine posting in here as well

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

fez_machine posted:

If your only example of thread moderation being hostile to counter opinions is "I posted my opinions and the reaction of other posters left a bad taste in my mouth so I left" then that's a big fuss over nothing and intellectual cowardice.

If you stance is "I hope for the outcome that kills the least amount of people" and people are coming at you for it then something is pretty rotten in the thread culture?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

fez_machine posted:

What's the moderation solution to that thread culture?

I don't want to try and speak on someone else's issue in specific and in general I haven't read the thread enough to really know this, sorry. I read the GBS thread for a bit before I got booted and there was an incredible amount of bloodthirsty, exterminate-the-russian-brutes poo poo being posted and going entirely unmoderated and after that I resolved to stop reading Ukraine threads because who needs that

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Despera posted:

When that position also implies giving a totalarian country free reign to commit genocide, no.

Okay if the issue was that saying "I hope for a resolution where the least amount of people die" is met with "oh, so you love genocide then?" that's absolutely a moderation failure

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Despera posted:

Hey its not like ukrainians who surrendered like that take argued they should werent shot in the back of the head.

Okay serious note: if we want d&d to be a place for actual debate and discussion in the mold Koos etc seem to want, then this is exactly the kind of lunatic escalation in response to extremely anodyne points needs to be shooed out of d&d and back to it's natural home in cspam. It's not conductive to reasoned discussion, it's not attempting to change minds or make a point, it's just an attempt to shut down not even opposing but just slightly different viewpoints by shouting over them and making the whole thing an emotional debate over who can get more weepy about whatever Bad Thing has recently happened

I know this probably sounds like bad faith coming from me but I deleted my immediate response and counted to ten before posting and everything

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

That's not what happened

Pointing out that the position you support (Ukraine disarming and surrendering) will lead to those same people getting killed

That would be a reasonable response, sure if anyone has said that. That wasn't the response though, was it. That was Despera assuming the most uncharitable possible interpretation of that statement and escalating rather than asking for specifics or doing any kind of reasonable debating

You're assuming "least amount of people dead" means Ukraine disarming and surrendering, when no one suggested that, because that's an easy position to attack and vilify.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

forbidden dialectics posted:

There are still a small group of prolific trolls who post almost nothing but odious garbage, who seem to be immune from being probated.

Also I have some feedback thread feedback: anyone saying anything like this should have to name names

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Main Paineframe posted:

I agree with the general principle of this

Instead of seeing a view that disagrees with theirs and jumping straight to the worst and most uncharitable assumption possible, I think it would be cool if people attempted to have a conversation and come to a mutual understanding, and part of that is at least trying to assume that you're dealing with reasonable people who are maybe just being a little unclear about their views or aren't working from the same preconceptions as you

Yeah this is fair. To use a recent example, I think if you're posting here and not just saying obviously inflammatory poo poo it's safe to assume you think genocide is bad, because basically nobody in their right mind thinks otherwise. If you're responding to a post by assuming that's what someone thinks then you need to slow down and take a minute to think about what they probably were actually saying, and whether you're actually trying to have a conversation or just scoring points. We literally have a forum right next door where you can go and say whatever absolutely wild poo poo you feel like and dunk on everyone, I do it all the time and it's great

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I always hate when these threads become about side issues because almost by design it never goes anywhere. Reading a recap of current posting blood feuds is exhausting, and usually pointless as people tend to misrepresent each other and not post receipts. But,

A mirthless lol to this horrible post, what in the gently caress is wrong with you.

Yeah that sure sounds bad when you remove it from the context of the entire paragraph surrounding it? Come on

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

reading this and instinctively yelling TELL A JOKE at my computer

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Karatela posted:

You want my advice? Get some trans mods in who you can get a sanity check off of and go "is this bigoted poo poo or not?" or better yet, let them moderate said posts. I can assure you, you might not know all the dogwhistles, but they will. This neutral ground poo poo just leaves the door open for bigoted assholes to see themselves as having official sanction, because if other places would ban it, and we don't, we must be fine with it.

Not sure about this idea, actually. Seems like bringing in a trans person specifically to act as as Arbiter of Transphobia is going to put them between the devil and the deep blue sea where they'll have to try and judge intent and either err on the side of caution and smack everything, becoming known as a bully and a crybaby who's stifling debate or let stuff slide and have people shrieking at them why did you allow this, you're not taking things seriously, doing real world harm, asking are you Blair White, etc

You know what I've changed my mind, that sounds hilarious. I volunteer

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Quotey posted:

I don't think the people PMing Cool to thank her are bigots probably? I wonder why they're so fragile!

Anyone remember when a guy said he was an economics professor and the first 2 replies were insulting him because economics isn't real and he posted on DND like one more time after that? No loving wonder.

I do not remember this. Where did this happen?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jaxyon posted:

This isn't a safe space for trans posters. There are shitposting facebook groups that give less slack to transphobic bigots. They respond to transphobes like you and your team responds to posts critical of yourselves. I like their priorities better.

Look honestly you're getting a bit ridiculous here. Dial it back a bit

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

No one is organizing harassment campaigns or doxxing or writing legislation or posting threats, there was one thread that was poorly moderated and got gassed. Declaring that makes this "not a safe space for trans people" quite frankly makes it sound like you think we're a bunch of little babies who need to be wrapped in cotton wool so the bad opinions can't hurt us, it's downright demeaning and it would be good if you could stop

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Main Paineframe posted:

It was one of the D&D feedback threads run by the admins, back when they were trying to get a sense for what the hell was going on in D&D. They're great reads, IMO, if only because it was really funny watching the admins be completely stunned and baffled at the poo poo that passes for normal posting here

drat thanks for the link, that's great. What an incredible response

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jaxyon posted:

A "safe space" means "a place or environment in which a person or category of people can feel confident that they will not be exposed to discrimination, criticism, harassment, or any other emotional or physical harm." That is not this forum. It feels like you've internalized the "hugbox" distortion of what a safe space is that bigots promote.

Right, because when members of the minority you're speaking for say "hey, can you please stop infantilizing me" the correct ally response is to pull out the loving dictionary and accuse them of doing a ben shapiro

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Who What Now posted:

There's also people who are in that group saying "hey we don't want that poo poo here". Quite a few of them, in fact.

There's plenty of others trans posters here, of any of them come along and say "actually I want jaxyon to speak for us and I like how he's doing it" then sure I'll revise my objection

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jaxyon posted:

I try to err on the side of "is this a safe space" and if people are being exposed to calm-hitler and being harassed through DMs, I don't think it's a safe space.

That said, you're asking me to stop, so I will.

Thank you. Being "exposed to calm Hitler" (incredible phrase) is an unfortunate consequence of posting on a debate forum, anyone who doesn't want to encounter lovely debate tactics can post in every other thread on the forum. The two people sending PMs were immediately permabanned, so I'm not sure what else could be done there short of trying to moderate pre-crime? I don't think anything that happened has made this an "unsafe space" in any way, and I can't imagine what the moderation solution would be, having a big list of positions you're not allowed to take? then you're playing whack-a-mole as people try and bait each other into taking them. Banning people from "sealioning" and "calm hitlering"? What would that even look like?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Who What Now posted:

A transphobe at best. The other you defended across multiple threads and continue to defend.

Aginor and Trollologist were both ban+30d by a d&d mod and then permabanned?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Who What Now posted:

Was that D&D mod Koos?

Does it matter as long as it got done? Moderation is a team effort, isn't it?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Any time Koos isn't posting he's asleep in a big armchair with a newspaper over his face

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Who What Now posted:

Thank goodness you're going to maybe possibly reconsider how much bigotry is too much. Gonna give it a really thunking.

Your posts are absolutely exhausting to read. Is that what you were going for

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gumball Gumption posted:

I'd argue it's the opposite, like I said make more explicit warnings that this is a place where moderation expects you to be exposed to a certain amount of bigotry for the purpose of showing people how to argue against bigots. It might piss people off but it's also the truth and then people can decide if they want to post in D&D or not. I personally think it will lead to less posting but it will lead to less contentious posting as well because the unhappy will leave and the mod team will get the D&D they're currently working towards but not explicitly lining out.

This actually seems like a really good solution. It's got my vote

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rob Filter posted:

Fair. The problem is not the exact wording, but more the open dismissiveness to language trans activists are using.

Yelling at people over poo poo like this seems unhelpful to the point of being actively counterproductive? Expecting everyone to correctly recite the slogan or whatever you want to call it and declaring them low-key sus fam if they don't is the most annoying kind of posting-as-activism out there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rob Filter posted:

Honestly your right, without the rest of the transphobia calling it a slogan or a catchphrase or whatever would have been fine, so its actively useless for me to specifically call this out. I retract that. The rest of the post stands.

This is an unexpectedly reasonable response and I respect and appreciate it?