Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Koos Group posted:

Lowering the threshold for bad faith is something I've thought about a lot, but it seems very difficult to do fairly because of how it involves intent and specific positions. I would welcome more discussion in this thread about this topic.

There is always going to be some Overton window for what’s acceptable. There are posts that are not allowed even if the poster is being horrible in good faith. You are already drawing some lines and can continue to have a bias towards a wider Overton window for this subforum than other places but there are never no lines.

I think some of how you can think about this is less as a free speech issue and more of a quality of debate issue. I’m trying to find a good summary of Sarah Jeong’s 2015 book The Internet of Garbage but she suggests that some kinds of online comms are better understood and treated like spam than like a marketplace of ideas.

“Should women have the vote?” was once a rich and controversial topic. Lots of ink was spilled on the question. Today, I do not think it would be a good addition to the D&D debate circuit. It’s essentially spam. Similarly, I think that topics or posts that ask us to re-litigate the basic humanity of minorities are essentially spam. Those debates are settled (or they should be in an environment like this).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Jaxyon posted:

Absolutely incredible watching posters who are rightfully upset about the shitshow that was the moderation in my transgender athletics thread getting insta-probed while "have you considered that maybe transgender people are too safe" guy is just sitting there.

You set the thread up to fail. Your OP was just the word YES in an attractive graphic. Later, you said… (emphasis added)

Jaxyon posted:

You're right, this isn't a debate. I have a bunch of citations that I was prepared to bust out if needed, but literally nobody ever got even close to that level. I already stated earlier in the thread what my intention was:

My hope was that this thread would involve people making misguided but at least vaguely logical arguments against, and then getting disproven with the science.

I also hoped that a couple of transphobes would out themselves, and then get instantly nuked from orbit for that bullshit.

However what actually happened was a failure of moderation on a scale that I never imagined and is honestly embarrassing and disturbing.

You kicked up a transphobic hornet’s nest on purpose. By your description, you came in looking for a fight. Did you check with the mod team that they were prepared to handle the fallout? Did you have any reason to think they were in a good spot to read the dog whistles etc?

You could have done so much to raise the likelihood that it was a positive exchange. You could have framed it as a discussion and—instead of holding your citations in reserve—made a good OP. You could have laid out the basic terms and the state of the argument. You could have aimed it at the laws being passed in the US. You could have posted it in TMR instead of D&D.

In order to out some transphobes and test the moderators, you set up a bunch of trans people to deal with more transphobia. That sucked. I wish you hadn’t done it.

doingitwrong fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Apr 24, 2022

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

StratGoatCom posted:

If a thread deals with a minority issue, and minorities are telling you it's a cesspit, listen.

While this is a useful rule of thumb, Miss Broccoli & Colonel Cool have both disclosed that they are trans women so the algorithm kind of breaks down.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Harold Fjord posted:

I think it's misguided to blame the OP. OPs don't have actual power to set or enforce rules. The people who do can lock the thread and edit the OP

If you want the forum culture to improve, you have to think beyond “the volunteer janitors should clean up every mess we make.”

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I think this could be a good idea, but I'm uncertain if you can do that without kicking conservatives out of D&D, on example of the sports thread.

Rob Filter posted:

or where the debate is been weaponized politically by the far right to organize violence against marginalized members of the community.

This is a pretty good standard. It requires you to have some kind of process for adding and removing topics on the list over time as different topics fall under the baleful eye of the far right. But it seems do-able.