Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

forbidden dialectics posted:

I think the overall posting quality has increased significantly. D&D is a much more entertaining, informative forum to read. There are still a small group of prolific trolls who post almost nothing but odious garbage, yet seem to be immune from being probated. I suspect it has something to do with the different levels of willingness that certain users have to use/abuse the "report" function. I'm not sure if there's a solution that's good for the long-term health of the forum to address that disparity.

Yes, posts that get reported are more likely to have mod action than posts that don't because we're more likely to look closely at them. On any given day there are typically two or three mods who are active and we aren't able to closely read all 150 new posts in CE and 300 posts in the Ukraine thread or whatever. Keep in mind that not too long ago astral increased the character limit in reports so you can type a more detailed report explaining why you think a post needs actioned and giving context. I know that's asking a little extra effort from users but it's very helpful on the mod side. To use a counterexample, there's a user who reports posts with simply "garbage" or "stupid garbage" which is not at all helpful. Not gonna name names but your reports might be actioned more if you gave us a little more explanation :v:

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Guilty as charged, kind of. I don’t believe there’s regular shitposting in my thread that goes unpunished (examples to the contrary would be appreciated), but I’m fairly hands off with people cracking jokes. The main reason for that is a large population of fellow Eastern Europeans in my thread, including, e.g., someone who had family members sheltering in a basement in Mariupol for weeks, with one of them dying shortly after being finally evacuated recently. Many of us are immediately affected by this war, and I do believe that cracking a joke, or having a laugh at one, does help both posters individually and to take an edge off the thread on the whole.

That said, I do recognise that there are several “noisy” posters - to name a few, WAR CRIME GIGOLO and Despera. Here what I have to say is that their jokes frequently do appeal to what little sense of humour I do have, moderation on that specific rule being a subjective thing in our comedy forum, and that they do also regularly make normal contributions to the thread, in my opinion.

My suggestion, trite as it will sound, is to report jokes you find excessive. As an IK, I have no access to reports, and so it will be moderators handling those posts. None of them is “local” to all of this, and most of them don’t regularly engage with the posters in the thread.

I read most/all of the posts in the Ukraine thread but largely let cinci handle stuff. If there's a call for less shitposting and low-content posts I'm happy to help move the thread in that direction. And yes, submit reports. Especially in a fast-moving thread it's helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

OwlFancier posted:

If you want to have "debate" on topics like trans rights then the thing about debate is: only one of the positions is actually right.

So if you want a debate about it, that is going to necessitate allowing people to be wrong, and given the nature of the subject, a lot of them are going to be extremely, disgustingly wrong and probably willingly so, to a greater or lesser degree.

I, therefore, would suggest that this means that this is not a subject there should be "debate" on, because that necessarily is going to create a hostile environment for trans posters, who I think quite rightly do not wish to share a posting space with people who do not respect them. There is probably room for people to ask questions but the tone, I think, should be more of someone asking the answer to a maths question, where if you start arguing that you just don't feel like 2+2=4 then you just get laughed at.

A lot of the people I most enjoy sharing a space with on this website are trans and so to be perfectly frank, if faced with a choice between them having the most welcoming environment possible and debate bros having their god given right to be wrong on the internet defended by the moderation team, I am going to choose the former. We've been having plenty of interesting arguments in the LGBTQIA+ thread that do not necessitate even entertaining the possibility that trans people constitute a threat to society or are somehow wrong about their own nature, I do not think those are positions that need to be given space to air, however "contentious" the issue might be among some sections of society.

The LGBTQIA+ thread has been going really well. One part of this discussion imo is how moderation could handle that thread better/differently than the trans athletes thread.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Gumball Gumption posted:

It's a really noble philosophy but I think it also highlights one of the huge problems with D&D, we love having noble philosophy that has nothing to do with what's actually going on in threads. In the same way D&D aims to be impartial and moderated in a way that's non-political the head admin also has a philosophy that's pushing them to curate certain discussions and push out others. It's the same way 99% of the time D&D is just the liberal politics zone and everyone is very happy with that but you can't call it the liberal politics zone because liberal politics adherrants believe that their politics are just the way of the world.

In short, all of the D&D philosophy shouldn't really produce multiple conservative mock threads, a thread about a war that's primarily a news feed of your enemies getting owned, and a lot of the other threads we have. There's not even anything wrong with them, it's just that what we say we want and what we want in practice rarely match up.

A lot of the pain would go away if we just honestly slapped "this is the liberal left posting zone" on the door because well, it is.

This comes up pretty regularly in D&D feedback threads and from an objective, quantitative view it's not accurate. If you look at actual posting traffic D&D is well under half US politics posting and US CE itself has a very strong left presence. Have a look at the top 30 posters in US CE: https://forums.somethingawful.com/misc.php?action=whoposted&threadid=3997306. About half of those are vocally on the left and post in opposition to liberals and liberalism.

Last fall (before the war in Ukraine) I crunched some numbers on thread traffic and the UK thread by itself gets similar posts and views to US CE. If you combine the other non-US threads, US politics posting is well under half of the forum traffic, it's quite international. It's just that US CE and US politics in general produces most of the drama, reports, and moderation action.

It's certainly not the goal of moderation to enforce a "liberal politics zone" experience. I'm not dismissing your perspective or others that feel that way since this is a feedback thread. It's not really borne out in the posting traffic numbers, though.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Who What Now posted:

D&D ostensibly has mods other than Koos but none of them felt like they were allowed to do anything about rampant transphobia that he ignored for days. Maybe Koos should just be a normal mod and not "head mod"?

I queued ban+30s for both Aginor and Trollologist the same day they came into the thread with their bullshit and was going to chain probe until admins got around to processing the queue. Fluffdaddy came in shortly after and perma'd them. I'd have queued permas if I knew that was an option, in the few months I've been on the mod team it usually takes quite a bit of discussion to decide on a perma.

edit: Aginor and Trollologist were also both harassing people via PMs.