Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Koos Group posted:

Lowering the threshold for bad faith is something I've thought about a lot, but it seems very difficult to do fairly because of how it involves intent and specific positions. I would welcome more discussion in this thread about this topic.

you've created a safe space for bigots and called it fairness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

He is one. It's bad. You shouldn't be in a position of authority Koos if you're not willing or able to see how your actions are deliberately cultivating a space for bigots. You thanked me for giving you the benefit of the doubt in that terrible thread and I absolutely can't at this point. The best I can say is that you're privileged and naive at best, which means you suck poo poo as a moderator because you allow bigots to talk circles around you and create an extremely hostile space. If it's on purpose, which is sure seems like it is, well that's a lot worse.

ram dass in hell fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Apr 24, 2022

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

Koos Group posted:

There is already a general rule about good faith, Mr. Gumption.

When do you plan to start holding yourself to that rule, and assume the people claiming to be upset about the environment of transphobia you are deliberately cultivating are actually upset about the environment of transphobia you are deliberately cultivating?

You still seem to believe that your good intentions excuse the terrible outcomes from your poorly thought out ruleset. You did this, you did it willfully, and you've continued to ignore feedback from people who are being targeted in the environment you have authority over.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

Koos Group posted:

I also don't believe my rule set has had any terrible outcomes thus far.

you believe this because you don't give a poo poo about trans people, which is disqualifying. resign.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

Koos Group posted:

Ah. A distinction I've always made is that the good faith rule applies to discussion, not moderation. It would be impossible for the rule against bad faith to enforced otherwise.

You literally said that it DOES apply to moderation of bigotry. we have to assume that bigots aren't trolling and earnestly believe what they're saying, therefore, we can't assume bad faith on the part of bigots. So, you have a preferencial enforcement policy that gives leeway for bigots and allows you to punish people who criticize you in ways you don't like. This is disqualifying. Resign.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

Koos Group posted:

No, moderators don't need to assume bigots aren't trolling or acting in bad faith, and users don't need to assume that for the purpose of reports. It's likely that I haven't communicated this distinction well, since this has come up a few times before (in cases that had nothing to do with bigotry). Furthermore, there have been other criticisms of me in this thread I haven't liked, which are much more severe than what Sharkie was saying, and I have not punished. I punished him because he posted something dishonest, and I said specifically in the first post you need to be honest in how you present your feedback here.

"what about all the criticisms I don't like that I haven't probated" is not a compelling argument nor is it proof that you lack a preference for allowing bigots to attack people's humanity and for punishing criticism of your policies. to clarify, Sharkie's entire point, which you completely missed, is that you don't care about attacks on minority groups unless you yourself personally are part of the targeted group. that's gross, it's privileged, and it's disqualifying. Your response to it demonstrated its accuracy. Resign.

ram dass in hell fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Apr 24, 2022

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

Koos Group posted:

I don't believe it's an "other half of your family lived" situation, because the way the trans thread was handled ended up being virtually the same as it would have if there had been a rule against transphobia. Everyone clearly engaging in it was permabanned or threadbanned regardless.

This is plainly false. This is probably also related to your earlier claim that "nothing terrible has happened as a result of my ruleset and enforcement yet". If there were rules against transphobia, that is a change to the environment of the subforum, which clearly have an affect on what is seen as and believed to be acceptable discourse. You don't seem to understand that this outcome is harmful. You don't seem to care that trans people see your forum as a place where they will be poo poo on and mods allow it, to the point of punishing the recipients of the abuse if they get too upset about the abuse being sanctioned by the website in the first place. You don't see this as a terrible outcome, because you claimed nothing terrible has happened. That is a bigoted belief, the belief that free space for bigoted and dehumanizing statements is a positive thing.

You are not just harboring bigots, you are yourself a bigot. This is disqualifying. Resign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Very easy. Let’s say that the global conversation about trans athletes moves to some new accepted position. You take that, go find your posting enemy in an appropriate thread, and start some “what do you think about X” spiel. The objective here is to get them to cast doubt on this new position as a plausible premise, preferably disagree with it in stronger terms. Once that happens you just dump supporting material for it into the thread, declare them a transphobe, and chances are some bystander without the full context of your conversation will take the bait as well. At that point either your target concedes and has thus been mauled to your satisfaction, or they double down for posting culture reasons and you can murder by cop them.

what