Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Blatantly rule breaking posts by people who have a habit of such should be met with longer probes than sixers in general. If someone is consistently a hostile condescending jerk, a sixer isn't going to get them alter their behavior. At the least they should be getting a three day or week, and quickly ramping from there into an eventual ban if they don't cut that poo poo out.

Related thought here: from the tech side, it seems like it might be useful for poster's rap sheets to include a stat of "median time between probes" that excludes time they've been on probation in the calculation.

Koos Group posted:

It's not giving us any new information. We were already aware that some people had been helped by the policy, and presumably those people were happy about it. It's part of a general de-emphasis on poster personalities in D&D, in favor of reliable sources and arguments. Also he said "Thank you, President Biden!" with the exclamation point and everything, which I found obnoxious, lol.
This is absolutely a bizarre reason to give a probation. Of the problems D&D has, "people post too much about their positive personal experiences" ain't one of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

some plague rats posted:

Why exactly would this be useful
To help identify posters who consistently post like poo poo.

Sixers are fine in the average case where someone just needs to be told to knock it off and then they'll behave, but obviously that's not enough for some posters.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

I think cinci zoo sniper has done a commendable job with the Ukraine thread. I might have some minor quibbles but overall they done good.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Miss Broccoli posted:

E: Is your name [a name] by chance?
Is attempted doxxing ban worthy? It seems like it should be.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Koos Group posted:

Or more pertinently, see why exactly that's wrong, but yes. As you've seen in this thread, we're still trying to iron out what if any exceptions there should be to the rule of not moderating positions, and whether the good faith rules and interesting discussion rules might be expanded to pick up problematic cases instead. This is because there are, it seems, potential downsides to any approach.
I think realistically there are certain issues where you can't allow all positions, like bigotry/discrimination or genocide denial. It just doesn't work, some positions are too vile for reasonable people to not basically flip out. If someone comes in here and is like "oh yeah the Holocaust was GREAT, kill all the Jews!" I just don't think you can expect people to civilly engage such a person.

The important thing here would just be to try and be transparent as possible about which positions on which issues are off limits. And then maybe have an occasional meta/feedback thread for people to discuss adjusting the boundaries one way or another.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Oh nvm then

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Stormgale posted:

Is debate the most effective way to change peoples minds? After all winning a debate dosen't mean you are right and can often simply be you are better at rhetoric?
When I was Mormon and more conservative, I had my mind changed by the discussion about gay marriage. The arguments about it, combined with the fact that there was this big public debate about it for a number of years which had me thinking seriously about my position, got me to do so. The more I thought about the homophobic views I had inherited from society at large and Mormonism in particular, the more I felt like, "...wait no, that's dumb."

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

It kind of seems like there maybe just needs to be another split, if posters fundamentally differ on what they want from a debate forum.

The problem there would be that you would get even more cross forum slapfights like what D&D and CSPAM currently have.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Yeah seriously, if anything that rule sounds like it'd effectively ban a lot of common leftist positions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Arrhythmia posted:

@cinci zoo sniper

Occasionally I see some posts in the Ukraine thread along the lines of "I hope Russian civilians suffer [violent fate]". Are these posts acceptable? They make me uncomfortable, and I would prefer if they weren't.
I've read quite a bit of that thread and it's hard for me to recall instances of wishing violence on Russian civilians.

Edit: though there's plenty of instances of being okay with Russian civilians suffering hardship, or wishing violence on Russian soldiers