Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Arguing from the position that communism is the only moral solution to any problem is tiresome and drowns out actual discussion of real solutions.

I should add that this applies to the current events thread. Other threads I don't see as an issue as much.

A big flaming stink posted:

I am at a loss of how to fix this, but d&d has become an utterly terrible place to actually debate and discuss opposing positions. The Ukraine war thread is especially egregious, but this pattern extends far and wide. Unfortunately, you need to go to cspam to talk about opposing viewpoints, and sometimes I want a discussion that ain't shitposty.

The fact that moderation dragged their feet on making sure the orgs being donated to weren't supporting neonazis is inexcusable.

Goutpatrol is aggressively terrible in their moderation decisions, but the refusal to tolerate dissent seems to be a cultural problem at this point and I have no idea how this is solved.

C-Spam is not a place that tolerates alternate viewpoints in my experience. D&D seems to allow any viewpoint now, which is its own problem. I understand that not moderating positions makes it easier, but there has to be some limit to that in specific threads perhaps.

Lastly, the issue of some posters being incredibly hostile to anything they perceive to be D&D or 'libleral' in other parts of the forums, and that hostility being not only tolerated but encouraged is problematic to say the least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Nameless Pete posted:

Make a "Violent Communist Overthrow of the United States: Yea or Nay?" thread and then ban anybody discussing it outside there because that's the only topic of discussion that the usual band of Stalinists will allow anywhere else.

Intentionally doing less moderation did not lead to better posting. War crime deniers are not going to re-examine their position after yet another joke sixer. Sixers are just proof that you made the other guy mad enough that they had to go get an adult.

Yeah, when a poster is making "FLATTEN" posts about Ukrainian civilians in CSpam why are we supposed to tolerate them in the D&D Ukraine thread?

Why is that kind of posting allowed and encouraged at all?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Gumball Gumption posted:

:shrug: I post in both without much issue.

Though to be fair in regards to the war threads I generally don't post in either because I find both to be very ghoulish. I do think opinions about the hive mind in cspam are exaggerated though.

I post there in a limited fashion as well, but some threads are :yikes:

The official moderation may not allow it, but the posters certainly seem fine with it.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Gumball Gumption posted:

Some threads on SA are : yikes: You new here or something?

It is a thing that happens, but the whole point of SA is that the :10bux: and decent moderation weed most of it out.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Majorian posted:

...which the cspam mods did in the case you cited.

A weeklong probe is not a ban, and ironic shitposting is not something we should have to tolerate at all.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Harold Fjord posted:

That's fine but it will inevitably lead to every criticism of Dems being described as being that.

We've done a quarantine thread before, and it didn't really solve any issues. I like seeing the viewpoints I don't agree with, but I don't appreciate the moralizing or judgments that often come with it. There's a certain threshold for being defensive, or snarky, and I know I am guilty of it.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Majorian posted:

He's on perma-probation my dude. You likely won't have to tolerate him anymore, ever.

Gumball Gumption posted:

pssst, check the rap sheet

the system works!

Gumball Gumption posted:

Also if you think that dude was ever representative of the CSPAM hivemind you uh... don't read CSPAM that close..

I read it plenty, I don't think being dismissive of my viewpoint is helpful.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

A big flaming stink posted:

Like I pointed out, cspam trends towards being extremely shitposty first and foremost, which means it doesn't always satisfy my desire for a srs back and forth

I think this is part if it. I am getting old :corsair: and I don't need to want to deal with the black-pilled irony poisoned shitposting that is cspam. having the viewpoints that culminate from that sort of mindset constantly repeated ad nausea really just does not encourage a good discussion on anything.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

I also forgot to say that I do feel that Koos, Fritz, and others are doing a good job overall. I appreciate the effort, and the effort it takes to keep this forum less of a flaming dumpster than the rest of the internet.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Koos Group posted:

It's not giving us any new information. We were already aware that some people had been helped by the policy, and presumably those people were happy about it. It's part of a general de-emphasis on poster personalities in D&D, in favor of reliable sources and arguments. Also he said "Thank you, President Biden!" with the exclamation point and everything, which I found obnoxious, lol.

Yeah that probe felt unreasonable given the content, but ultimately it was a short probe and not something to worry about.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

I do agree that it is not a place that positive news is taken well.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Gumball Gumption posted:

We don't need to go back to mods banning people for overly long rap sheets and it turning out half the probes were ironic and no one bothered looking.

Purges in general aren't a good idea.

Majorian posted:

What if that's that poster's gimmick and they have a long rap sheet for it?

Just because you don't like it doesn't make it a gimmick.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Harold Fjord posted:

"If you don't support genocide why do I keep insisting that you do, coward?"

1. Lol.

2. Is this really the place?

That's not what happened

Pointing out that the position you support (Ukraine disarming and surrendering) will lead to those same people getting killed is not an accusation that you support that outcome. Just that you support a position that would lead to that most likely outcome. Disagreeing with the conclusion is one thing, but to misrepresent what people are saying is just tedious.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

some plague rats posted:

That would be a reasonable response, sure. That wasn't the response though, was it. That was Despera assuming the most uncharitable possible interpretation of that statement and escalating rather than asking for specifics or doing any kind of reasonable debating

You're assuming "least amount of people dead" means Ukraine disarming and surrendering, when no one suggested that, because that's an easy position to attack and vilify.

There is something to be said for the principal of charity when making an argument. I know I have been guilty of this in the recent past and it is for sure something that can shut down a discussion.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

some plague rats posted:

Also I have some feedback thread feedback: anyone saying anything like this should have to name names

That's probably a larger can of worms than is worth opening. I don't need the whole of d&d to tell me how much they have suffered through my posting for nearly 20 years.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

One thing that I thought was going to happen that hasn't happened was a monthly thread for CE. What ever happened to that?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

Making a thread with the purpose of everyone agreeing with each other or getting probed just doesn't seem like a good idea for a debate forum in the first place, so it's a good thing that the thread was closed regardless of the issue involved.

Agree 100% and I even posted that it seemed like a honey pot, and was not a good thread subject.

This forum is on the leading edge (generally) of what is socially acceptable. There's probably some grey areas, but we don't need threads to debate socially settled topics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Arrhythmia posted:

@cinci zoo sniper

Occasionally I see some posts in the Ukraine thread along the lines of "I hope Russian civilians suffer [violent fate]". Are these posts acceptable? They make me uncomfortable, and I would prefer if they weren't.

Bloodthirsty posts have been probated and ridiculed the few times they have happened. Can you post an example of one that didn't get handled?