Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

A big flaming stink posted:

I'm going to be honest, I bailed from that thread in the early days when my position of hoping that the outcome of the war minimized civilian casualties regardless of who "won" was absolutely castigated as yellow-bellied appeasement. It left an extremely sour taste in my mouth.

I'd say your cowardice in the face of criticism is not a modding decision. Nor is someone coming in with a bunch of hot takes about the Mauripol residents being grateful and then melting down in the face of criticism and counter argument.

A long sincere post from CSPAM outlining contrary views to the prevailing D&D thread opinion was recently copied and pasted in to the D&D thread to a basically fair reaction.

I would like much less shitposting, memes and jokes posted in the D&D Ukraine thread in general. It's the distinguishing feature of it in comparison to the CSPAM and GBS threads that it's largely serious and decorum focused.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Apr 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

some plague rats posted:

Oh god can we not start doing awful internet tough guy Ukraine posting in here as well

If your only example of thread moderation being hostile to counter opinions is "I posted my opinions and the reaction of other posters left a bad taste in my mouth so I left" then that's a big fuss over nothing and intellectual cowardice.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

some plague rats posted:

If you stance is "I hope for the outcome that kills the least amount of people" and people are coming at you for it then something is pretty rotten in the thread culture?

What's the moderation solution to that thread culture?

Surely if enough people care to post arguments that prove that Ukraine's surrender would lead to the best outcomes then that would be the thread culture.

But if you can't muster a defence against strong criticism, then maybe that's a personal flaw and perhaps a flaw in the argument you're making.

None of this is grounded in moderation unless you'd like to bring back moderating for positions.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Apr 24, 2022

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

some plague rats posted:

I don't want to try and speak on someone else's issue in specific and in general I haven't read the thread enough to really know this, sorry. I read the GBS thread for a bit before I got booted and there was an incredible amount of bloodthirsty, exterminate-the-russian-brutes poo poo being posted and going entirely unmoderated and after that I resolved to stop reading Ukraine threads because who needs that

lol

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

some plague rats posted:

Okay if the issue was that saying "I hope for a resolution where the least amount of people die" is met with "oh, so you love genocide then?" that's absolutely a moderation failure

How is it a moderation failure?

Nobody has said that the poster loves genocide not even in the quote you posted, just that they consider genocide the probable outcome of the resolution proposed.

I think your major problem is thinking that counter-argument is personal attack.

edit: lol at the idea of being chased out of a thread. pure cowardice

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Apr 24, 2022

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

some plague rats posted:

making the whole thing an emotional debate

Now this can be moderated. But hard because, well, people have valid emotional reactions to poo poo and debate lord unemotional robot argumentation is tedious to read and write.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

some plague rats posted:

Also I have some feedback thread feedback: anyone saying anything like this should have to name names

Finally something I agree 100% with you on.