Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Harold Fjord posted:

It's still better than before. I do think there's a lot of rather empty restatements of known facts posted as thought they are refutations, and at times full of condescension as though these facts are not already the premise of arguments being made. And I don't even just mean this week. And generally it seems like length related to the above leads to bias in moderation. Many times where nothing new is said but a short reply is whapped. I do not attribute this to anything other than good faith confusion of length and effort or "showing your work".

Yeah, and even then some of the probes seem capricious

Here's a reply for which I was probated while the post to which I was responding was left alone:

I'm baffled as to what effort was contained in the original post that I was compelled to meet, and failed.

A lot of the probations are given pretty subjective reasons, which are still at times used as ideologic cudgels. Examples:

“Undignified”
“Not meeting effort with effort.”
“Posting in bad faith”
“Not acknowledging everything in the post/responding directly.“
“Not being specific enough in critique for it to be constructive.”
“Unsupported”
“Things everyone knows already.”
“Low-content response.”
“Unsubstantiated argument.”
“Personal posting.”
“Same-oldery”
“Condescending”
“Referring to D&Ders as ‘ghoulish.’ “

I mean, any of these could be spelled out instead of levied as punishments, and most of them are applied unequally, for what seem to be disagreements, not rules-breaking.

Koos, you’ve done as good of a job as someone can with this sordid mess, but I get the feeling that you’re (understandably) burning out at stomping out flaming poo poo in paper bags & instead leaning more toward later saying “I, personally, would not have probated that” after the fact via DM.

CommieGIR, you've improved a lot, and appear to no longer engage in hostile convos that blur the lines between mod & poster. Gout Patrol, otoh, while not engaging much seems to be an alt of Handsome Ralph when it comes to lovely probes. "Not just the person you were challenging reported your post" is an appeal to popularity & could likely rest on nothing but the usual suspects' discord swarm.

Speaking of usual suspects, maybe once out of 20x the dude who compulsively backseat mods is probated after doing so, and I don't understand why that's the case.

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Apr 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Thanks for the detailed explanations, Koos; I still think that the reasons aren't always evenly applied, and that "someone reported it" isn't enough, on its face, without context of, eg, the post that is being answered. "Posts being interesting" is a particularly subjective metric as well.

I had no clue that backseat modding was ok to do and that does give me some perspective, but those are posts I find annoying, not "interesting," especially when the backseat mod is pointing out how often he himself has said the same thing.